DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
ugotpwnd ugotpwnd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Default Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

thought this was pretty crazy, takes a lot of control.
wasnt the best sound i ever heard but was unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otBWf-B1g-c
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

pretty cool. I wonder how that would sound on acoustic bass drums?
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Funny.

The question, is that cheating?

Some times I'll come across a metal song that has stupidly fast double bass on it, and people will ask me "how does someone play that?" and well, that video explains how easy it can to "sound" like you're playing much faster than considering normally possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

I doubt it's as easy as it looks. He is still pulling that off pretty tightly, however slow or fast he is playing those pedals. At the least I found that quite entertaining (interesting combination of slap on the bass and extreme drumming).
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 AM
ugotpwnd ugotpwnd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

you need some beast calves like that and some drum triggers and a lot of control to rip like that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 AM
anth_ony's Avatar
anth_ony anth_ony is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 59
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

\MEEEEETTTTTAAALLLL/
__________________
myspace.com/theabsolute
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:05 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotpwnd View Post
you need some beast calves like that and some drum triggers and a lot of control to rip like that.

It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.
Whenever I have heard pro drummers on e-kits, they tend to overspeed the transducers and the sound has dropouts. Tim would probably get to a certain bpm, then it would sound like a mess or not keep up at all.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Nodiggie's Avatar
Nodiggie Nodiggie is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 1,369
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

That was cool. I have never seen dual beaters on a single pedal before. What are they?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
That was cool. I have never seen dual beaters on a single pedal before. What are they?
I was thinking they might be sonor giant step dual-effect, or maybe a flavor of the duallist.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

The real question, why is this in the off-topic forum?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
That was cool. I have never seen dual beaters on a single pedal before. What are they?
They're for people who are too lazy to learn how to do PROPER doubles. The thing about that video is that yeah it sounds pretty good but you can just see that there is hardly any power in the 2nd stroke at all so if he played it on a proper drum kit it'd probably sound nothing near as good as that.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
They're for people who are too lazy to learn how to do PROPER doubles. The thing about that video is that yeah it sounds pretty good but you can just see that there is hardly any power in the 2nd stroke at all so if he played it on a proper drum kit it'd probably sound nothing near as good as that.

They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
They're for people who are too lazy to learn how to do PROPER doubles. The thing about that video is that yeah it sounds pretty good but you can just see that there is hardly any power in the 2nd stroke at all so if he played it on a proper drum kit it'd probably sound nothing near as good as that.
Tell that to Thomas Lang...
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.
Okay well if that's true then what are they for? And i do think it is actually easier to play an electronic kit then an acoustic one, I'm not trying to "minimize" his ability in anyway i'm just saying what i think is true. And yes i know i probably couldn't do that but i'm sure there are SOME people here on DW who can.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Just Drums's Avatar
Just Drums Just Drums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 944
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

If you want to see proper use of this pedal, check out Lang's first DVD "Creative Control". Case closed. =)
__________________
Shane Fowlkes
Just Drums, Five-Star Shop
http://www.JustDrumsOnline.com
804.794.1667
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Okay well if that's true then what are they for? And i do think it is actually easier to play an electronic kit then an acoustic one, I'm not trying to "minimize" his ability in anyway i'm just saying what i think is true. And yes i know i probably couldn't do that but i'm sure there are SOME people here on DW who can.
I agree, an electronic kit can allow anyone to play much faster than an acoustic.

You can set a pad to pick up even the smallest stroke as "loud" and set the dynamics so that all hits sound the same. I can't play extreme metal parts on my acoustic set that well (I'm not really into it) but on my Roland kit, I do blast beats with no problem. LOL.

It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are. It's pretty clear on the video, he's not hitting the drums very hard, but the sound of the electronic drums are giving the sound of someone who is.

Add in those pedals, and it's pretty clear he's doing something that would sound very different on an acoustic set. Maybe he could pull it off, maybe he couldn't, we don't know, but it would be different.

When I see something like that, I still think "cheating" because it's not what we traditionally think of playing drums. But then again, guitar players use harmonizers and other effects to make it sound like they're playing more strums/picks than they really are, keyboardists can layer near unlimited sounds, vocalists use harmonizers to make themselves sound like multiple people, so why no a drummer using technology to make themselves sound they're doing more?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are. It's pretty clear on the video, he's not hitting the drums very hard, but the sound of the electronic drums are giving the sound of someone who is.
People need to think a little more about this. Triggers DO NOT play for you, they just pick up a signal - you still have to pull of the speed. Also, you are confusing dynamics and speed which are not the same thing, at all.

You can play blast beats with no problem on the e-kit? How tight can you do that? Playing the patterns in rhythm and in a precise manner also comes into consideration.

Finally, to clear things up a bit with in regards to extreme drumming - when you get to the 210-220 bpm range playings 16ths, it becomes physically impossible to play full strokes on the kicks. You just can't play strokes like you can at 120bpm. This is why they use Triggers so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds. Otherwise how do you want the kicks to cut through the soaring guitars? Not to mention, microphones can't even pick up a decent signal at those speeds because there is too much air moving inside the kick.
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee

Last edited by Drum-Head; 02-06-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
king fail's Avatar
king fail king fail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Leicester, England
Posts: 353
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Am I the only person who found that extremely funny?
And good lord that was some clean playing!
Sounds almost too clean to be honest.... robotic..... quantized?
__________________
-If Tony Williams played on the bottom of shoes, we would all get a pair and hope for the best!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
SharkyBait911's Avatar
SharkyBait911 SharkyBait911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norfolk - Uk
Posts: 273
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
pretty cool. I wonder how that would sound on acoustic bass drums?
Yeh same here i spose it would be much harder because an acoustic bass drum hasn't got that bounce back like the electric kit has....
But still cool
__________________
Gretsch Renown Maple Limited Edition - Pearl Icon Rack - Iron Cobra Pedals - Zildian ZHT
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.
Hey Jeff, you've got that pedal, i was wondering, is it adjustable as far as when the secondary stroke hits in relation to the first? I was wondering that because the guy in the vid is playing incredibly smooth and spaced evenly strokes, but if he's playing "regular" double strokes, his left foot primary beater should strike in unison with the right foot "slave" effect and then his right foot primary should be striking in unison with the left foot slave giving the effect of 2 simultaneous 16th note rolls on different bass drums instead of a 32nd note roll. In order for that to work, it seems to me that the slave would have to be adjusted to play a dotted pattern instead of an even pattern. Is that how it's done?
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Diosdude,

I know you question is directed to Jeff, I hope it won't be taken as rude if I answer. The Giant Step Twin Effect's foot plate is divided in two - the foot board and the heel plate. You activate one of the beaters as you would on a conventional pedal. The second is activated by playing the heel plate section of the pedal. Both are totally independent.
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee

Last edited by Drum-Head; 02-07-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 AM
ugotpwnd ugotpwnd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.
I was just saying that the drum triggers let you use lighters hits and keeps them basically them tone, or sound if you will. so smaller quicker hits can be used. :)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 AM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,185
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by king fail View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Am I the only person who found that extremely funny?
And good lord that was some clean playing!
Sounds almost too clean to be honest.... robotic..... quantized?

No, it was extremely funny. And that left hand, killer.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
People need to think a little more about this. Triggers DO NOT play for you, they just pick up a signal - you still have to pull of the speed. Also, you are confusing dynamics and speed which are not the same thing, at all.

You can play blast beats with no problem on the e-kit? How tight can you do that? Playing the patterns in rhythm and in a precise manner also comes into consideration.

Finally, to clear things up a bit with in regards to extreme drumming - when you get to the 210-220 bpm range playings 16ths, it becomes physically impossible to play full strokes on the kicks. You just can't play strokes like you can at 120bpm. This is why they use Triggers so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds. Otherwise how do you want the kicks to cut through the soaring guitars? Not to mention, microphones can't even pick up a decent signal at those speeds because there is too much air moving inside the kick.
I like how you try to disagree with my point and then say exactly what I said.

Of course you still have to pull off the speed, but you can set the dynamic levels on a good electronic kit "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds".
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

I do agree that what he did was impressive, however, it's not my thing. I don't care much for extreme double bass drumming. I still love double bass, but it just sounded like corn popping to me, not drumming.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I like how you try to disagree with my point and then say exactly what I said.

Of course you still have to pull off the speed, but you can set the dynamic levels on a good electronic kit "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds".
You are missing the point if that's the only phrase you are picking out of what I wrote - that's taking it out of context. The way you put your words came off as minimalizing what that guy was doing in the video, or extreme drumming in general.

You initially wrote that setting a module to a linear dynamic mode allows one to play faster. This is not true. Also in the following:
Quote:
It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are.
I'm not saying the same thing - my point is that they do not have the choice if they want to be heard, since it's physically impossible to do otherwise. Read you post, then read my post again - I'm not saying the same thing.

Don't take this the wrong way though, I'm not trying to get into an argument nor saying this with any hard feelings whatsoever.
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee

Last edited by Drum-Head; 02-07-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:51 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Wow, that boy was quantized! I mean not just his feet........
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
You are missing the point if that's the only phrase you are picking out of what I wrote - that's taking it out of context. The way you put your words came off as minimalizing what that guy was doing in the video, or extreme drumming in general.

You initially wrote that setting a module to a linear dynamic mode allows one to play faster. This is not true. Also in the following:


I'm not saying the same thing - my point is that they do not have the choice if they want to be heard, since it's physically impossible to do otherwise. Read you post, then read my post again - I'm not saying the same thing.

Don't take this the wrong way though, I'm not trying to get into an argument nor saying this with any hard feelings whatsoever.
You mistook what I said. I didn't mean it allows you to become faster, just allows you to play at your faster rate without losing volume, because, as you said, "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds."

Same meaning, different words, but I can see how I phrased it could be confusing.

No problem, we're just discussing drums. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,214
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
Diosdude,

I know you question is directed to Jeff, I hope it won't be taken as rude if I answer. The Giant Step Twin Effect's foot plate is divided in two - the foot board and the heel plate. You activate one of the beaters as you would on a conventional pedal. The second is activated by playing the heel plate section of the pedal. Both are totally independent.
You, that's it. It's like the old-school rocking motion on the hi hat. It is different from the Dualist which hits one beater on the downstroke and the other on the upstroke.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,353
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

I thought it was Dualist Pedals. If you haven't seen them here is the link.

http://www.theduallist.com/double.html
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Drum-Head's Avatar
Drum-Head Drum-Head is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 940
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You mistook what I said. I didn't mean it allows you to become faster, just allows you to play at your faster rate without losing volume, because, as you said, "so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds."

Same meaning, different words, but I can see how I phrased it could be confusing.

No problem, we're just discussing drums. :-)
My excuses for misunderstanding then. Glad that everything is cool!
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own."
- Bruce Lee
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Mystic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.
You make a good point dio, I am really sick and tired and tired and sick of people saying that people using triggers or e-kits are cheating. Music is about writing good material that sounds good not about how each individual player obtains the sound. The quad bass to some of you is like the double bass to some older players. They will say that double bass is cheating, but really all it's doing is opening up more opportunity just like the quad bass.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com