DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Baseball thread

Congrats Phil's. Its too damn cold to go to the beach.. lol.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

YYYYAAAAYYYYY!!!

Good job Phillies! S'bout time....Btw, the weather here sucks right now....Micheal G or Mrchatter probably got a little bit a snow the other day, Drumsword probably already has....I hate winter.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
michael drums

Congrats, Phillies! Well Done! Good heads up play, Chase Utley.

And Congrats to the Phillies fans!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Baseball is not a sport IMO....well niether is pingpong and that's an olympic sport somehow.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum1977 View Post
Baseball is not a sport IMO....well niether is pingpong and that's an olympic sport somehow.
Fortunately your OPINION on this subject means nothing to the rest of the world.

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Administrator

I am proud to agree with Vipercussionist on this matter. How in the world can you think this is not a sport.

From Wikipedia...
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Not too much longer . . . is it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I am proud to agree with Vipercussionist on this matter. How in the world can you think this is not a sport.

From Wikipedia...
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.
Thanks for your support GD!!

~~~~~~ The Baseball Calendar ~~~~~~

By The Associated Press

Through Nov. 13—Free agent filing period, first 15 days after World Series ends.

Nov. 3-6—General managers’ meetings, Dana Point, Calif.

Dec. 1—Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their former players who became free agents.

Dec. 2-5—Major League Baseball Players Association executive board meeting, Orlando, Fla.

Dec. 7—Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept the offers.

Dec. 8-11—Winter meetings, Las Vegas.

Dec. 8—Hall of Fame Veterans Committee vote announced, Las Vegas.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dec. 12—Last day for teams to offer 2009 contracts to unsigned players.

Jan 5-15—Salary arbitration filing.

Jan. 19 or 20—Exchange of salary arbitration figures.

Feb. 1-21—Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix.

Feb. 14—Mandatory reporting date for players on World Baseball Classic rosters of China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan unless they have reported directly to their national teams; mandatory reporting date for pitchers and catchers on provisional rosters of other WBC teams; voluntary reporting date for non-WBC pitchers, catchers and injured players.

Feb. 17—Mandatory reporting date for remaining position players on WBC rosters; voluntary reporting date for non-WBC position players.

Feb. 22—Mandatory reporting date for non-WBC players.

March 2-11—Teams may renew contracts of unsigned players.

March 5-23—World Baseball Classic.

March 18— Last day to place a player on unconditional release waivers and pay 30 days termination pay instead of 45 days.

April 1—Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2008 salary.

April 5—Opening day, active rosters reduced to 25 players.

Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

'Bout time!! Pitchers and catchers in about a week!!!

The dreary days of winter are coming to an end!!

Been watching the MLB channel??
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I wish I had the MLB service...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I wish I had the MLB service...
WOAH!! That's just not RIGHT!!

Florida is like a MECCA of baseball with all the Spring Training going on down there, I'd complain to those who supply such things if I were you!!

It's a free part of the package here!! W00T!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace

Last edited by Vipercussionist; 02-09-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: I Can't SPELL!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM
michael drums

Well...

I guess he REALLY IS...

A-Fraud!!

Ughhh...
Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Well...

I guess he REALLY IS...

A-Fraud!!

Ughhh...
As a Red Sox fan, maybe being naive, really didn't see that one coming. Tough blow to the sport but I cannot wait for more Balco chants at the Fens this year.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 AM

Just now saw this thread. I'm out here in Dodger country and bleed Dodger Blue (and admit it now matter what the season).
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Really, A-Roid was our last chance to get rid of Bonds from the top of the heap. It seems the numbers are unrealistic without the help of PED's

NOW who will be able to get to the top LEGITIMATELY and get Bonds out of there????

Poor Hank . . . It's just not fair to HIM!!!!!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Really, A-Roid was our last chance to get rid of Bonds from the top of the heap. It seems the numbers are unrealistic without the help of PED's

NOW who will be able to get to the top LEGITIMATELY and get Bonds out of there????

Poor Hank . . . It's just not fair to HIM!!!!!!
Ehhh...

It's alright Viper. Hank will ALWAYS be on a higher level than Bonds.

Aaron is the TRUE homerun king! He had/has class and just let his God-given talent propel him to greatness...WITHOUT cheating.

Quite simple, really. ;-)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 PM

as a Yankees fan I was ecstatic when the Yankees got A-Rod. Boy, how that changed! Right after he opted out I would have been just as ecstatic if the Yankees had let him go. We lose with him and we can lose without him and have less headaches doing it. The guy is a total headcase. How can someone with all that money and talent be so damned insecure and so useless in the post season?

And if he left his wife for Madonna then he's a damn fool as well. Madonna? Please! And now this steroid thing. I wouldn't be surprised if deep down he is happy he got caught because now the pressure of being the clean savior of baseball is off his back. He handles pressure like I handle burning coals with my bare hands. Even when he's supposedly telling the 'truth' he's full of crap. I'm sick of this guy and have no problem having the Yankees dump him. What a phony!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
as a Yankees fan I was ecstatic when the Yankees got A-Rod. Boy, how that changed! Right after he opted out I would have been just as ecstatic if the Yankees had let him go. We lose with him and we can lose without him and have less headaches doing it. The guy is a total headcase. How can someone with all that money and talent be so damned insecure and so useless in the post season?

And if he left his wife for Madonna then he's a damn fool as well. Madonna? Please! And now this steroid thing. I wouldn't be surprised if deep down he is happy he got caught because now the pressure of being the clean savior of baseball is off his back. He handles pressure like I handle burning coals with my bare hands. Even when he's supposedly telling the 'truth' he's full of crap. I'm sick of this guy and have no problem having the Yankees dump him. What a phony!
As a Red Sox fan, I thank you for your honesty. I really was hoping he was the second coming of Arron. It would have been great for Baseball had he been clean and re-broke the record.

At least he didn't LIE about it like most of the others. Giambi just came clean and in no time his name was restored to normal.

The others like Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, McGuire and Palmeiro have sullied their names beyond repair, but their RECORDS still stand. And of course the effects of time will dull the urgency of the cheating they did to get there, almost making it legit. THAT'S what worries me!

In 20 years there will be no real way to TELL who was legit or not without research. And what 10 year old looking at the old stats will be researching that deeply, I'd say probably NONE!!

Sad as hell. I'll remember Hank, but the new generations will have to read deeply into things for the true story.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM

funny thing is I really wanted to like Alex but the more I saw and heard him I just got turned off by him. I wanted him to be the guy to be the all-time home run king, the clean home run king that is but now that's out the window. In my book Hank Aaron is the HR king and all these steroid fiends are simply making Aaron's accomplishments that much more exceptional. It's a shame what is happening to baseball.
hey Vipercussionist- imagine if Alex had ended up with Boston instead of New York!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
funny thing is I really wanted to like Alex but the more I saw and heard him I just got turned off by him. I wanted him to be the guy to be the all-time home run king, the clean home run king that is but now that's out the window. In my book Hank Aaron is the HR king and all these steroid fiends are simply making Aaron's accomplishments that much more exceptional. It's a shame what is happening to baseball.
hey Vipercussionist- imagine if Alex had ended up with Boston instead of New York!
OH!! That would have been horrible with this new information. I wonder how the Yankees will fair with all the money they've spent and now all of this added pressure to perform. They're gonna be under a MICROSCOPE for the entire season now, like it wasn't bad enough already. I feel bad for Girardi, the pressure will be ENORMOUS to bring home the title. He'll most likely take the fall if they don't.

I guess we'll see!! it's almost TIME!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 AM

yeah, I'm excited about seeing them play in the new park. On TV that is, i don't know if I can afford their prices, ha ha. If the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year with the talent they have then Girardi will get canned. On paper there is no way this team can miss the playoffs and even advance. The heat is most definitely on!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
michael drums

Well...

to be perfectly honest, A-Fraud only told the truth because he was backed into a corner, after he lied to Katy Couric, on CBS News. And he saw the Maguire, Palmiero, Clemens, etc... attempts at lying which came back to bite them each where the sun don't shine.

I really can't find any sympathy for someone that's paid 40+ millon dollars a year, and thinks he has to cheat to stay in the game.

This steroid crap REALLY sucks, man! :-(

No matter what sport it is.

I repeat...

UGHHH....
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

OK, so now A Fraud is having health issues?? Is it because he's off the JUICE??

Did he have very little health issues for so long because he WAS on the juice for so long?

It is said it helps you get by injuries much quicker.

Massive FAIL!!

I'm so damned disappointed in him!! The only worse scenario would have been if he HAD ended up with the Red Sox.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 AM

Yankee haters unite, might as well cheer for Toronto right guys

Anyone catching the Canada vs. USA world baseball classic this saturday?
Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Gold Member

Eh, another year, another Cubs choke. I know they will, they'll get to the playoffs (maybe) and blow it, if they don't before then.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Eh, another year, another Cubs choke. I know they will, they'll get to the playoffs (maybe) and blow it, if they don't before then.
C'mon man, cheer up!! Red Sox fans used to think that way too, so I feel your pain, but hopefully it's be a Red Sox - Cubs World Series!!

They can choke THEN of course!! L0L!!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 03-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
C'mon man, cheer up!! Red Sox fans used to think that way too, so I feel your pain, but hopefully it's be a Red Sox - Cubs World Series!!

They can choke THEN of course!! L0L!!!
I'll be rooting for my White Sox, but they aren't anything special this year. Last year they barely made it. I got my life dose of the Whities in the 2005 World Series, which I can surely say I was happy.

But, I'm going to root for the Cubbies this year, 'less they play the Sox, of course.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 AM

It's really weird. You guys have no idea how small baseball is over here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen an actual baseball pitch anywhere in this country, and I've never played the game. Is there a sport that's really big here that doesn't go on much over the pond? What about rugby? Mind you, America has "football" football, which is pretty similar to rugby I suppose.

AND SOCCER :D
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJazzer View Post
It's really weird. You guys have no idea how small baseball is over here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen an actual baseball pitch anywhere in this country, and I've never played the game. Is there a sport that's really big here that doesn't go on much over the pond? What about rugby? Mind you, America has "football" football, which is pretty similar to rugby I suppose.

AND SOCCER :D
Is there actually somewhere where soccer isn't big? Lol.

A big sport in the UK that isn't so much popular here? I don't know. Crickett?
I don't know what sports are popular in the UK, so I can't say.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Is there actually somewhere where soccer isn't big? Lol.

A big sport in the UK that isn't so much popular here? I don't know. Crickett?
I don't know what sports are popular in the UK, so I can't say.
Yeah Cricket is pretty big over here at certain times. What the golf scene like over there? Lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yeah Cricket is pretty big over here at certain times. What the golf scene like over there? Lol.
Huge...
Like, maybe to some bigger than baseball or football, to others maybe a bit short but still pretty big.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Hmm interesting. Golf seems to be a very very popular "activity" here, and as a sport, it has like 2 or 3 major televised events per year.

I enjoy other cultures. I want to go to America.

Sorry, waaaay off topic.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 AM
michael drums

Uhhh...

Not to continue "off-topic" but, YES!

Golf is HUUUUGGGEEE here in the U.S.! Thanks to Mr. Woods. ;-)

Now...back to baseball.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Golf seems to be a very very popular "activity" here, and as a sport, it has like 2 or 3 major televised events per year.

I enjoy other cultures. I want to go to America.

Sorry, waaaay off topic.
We're actually not as bad as most sterotype us as, actually. America is actually a really nice place.

Anyway, any bets on who will make it to the playoffs this year?
The Cubs maybe, jst maybe could survive this season. But, probably choke in the first round.

It's still a little to early to tell, but, I just want to see peoples thoughts/opinions on who will be the team to beat this year.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
We're actually not as bad as most sterotype us as, actually. America is actually a really nice place.

Anyway, any bets on who will make it to the playoffs this year?
The Cubs maybe, jst maybe could survive this season. But, probably choke in the first round.

It's still a little to early to tell, but, I just want to see peoples thoughts/opinions on who will be the team to beat this year.
Whats the Cubs rotation like past Zambrano and Harden? There going to get solid bats, especially if D-Lee stays healthy, I really like him.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 AM

I did not know there were so many great baseball fans on this forum.
Here is a picture I took after completion of Game 5 of the World Series. I still can't believe my Fightin' Phil's won the World Series.
IMG
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
nhzoso

I like the Red Sox chances this year again, I think Tampa will come back down to earth and finish 3rd or 4th in the AL East. I love this time of year. Most people who don't get Baseball never will, most have to grow up with it to really appreciate it. I do wish it was more competitive though like the NFL is, maybe someday the Royals and Pirates will actually have a shot but I won't hold my breath. GO SOX!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I like the Red Sox chances this year again, I think Tampa will come back down to earth and finish 3rd or 4th in the AL East. I love this time of year. Most people who don't get Baseball never will, most have to grow up with it to really appreciate it. I do wish it was more competitive though like the NFL is, maybe someday the Royals and Pirates will actually have a shot but I won't hold my breath. GO SOX!
They'll need a cap to make it more competitive. Not necessarily a salary cap, but a team spending cap, kind of like the NFL.

Big market teams like the Yanks, Angels and Red Sox with the big budgets POTENTIALLY can get all the best players (though it seems to not always work out for the best as the Yankees have shown and just MIGHT show again this year).

It would make for more competition throughout the teams.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

OK, the season is well under way and the teams are building up steam for a run!

I'm kind of stunned to see the Yankees and their playing this year, they're NOT playing up to potential, they have no bullpen and if they don't pull it together it's going to be a waste of 1.5 BILLION dollars in the building of the NEW Yankee Stadium.

Could they have maybe taken 1.5 BILLION and repaired the OLD Yankee Stadium over time? You know, the Stadium with ALL the important baseball karma ever made in the history of baseball? Where there were people actually IN the seats rooting for the home team? Seems like just last year the Yankees had FANS in the seats at MOST of the games at home. This year the epic rivalry of the Boston Red Sox vs the New York Yankees gets only a smattering of fans in the "House That Ruth Didn't Build".

Seems like EPIC FAIL to me! Even as a Red Sox fan I would like to see the Yankees do a LITTLE better than this.

Where will baseball be without Yankees Red Sox?

Congrats to the Tampa Bay Rays for again proving they are for real and not an aberration of luck. They will most likely see the post season again this year their present record not withstanding. They still give the Red Sox fits, that's for sure!!

I expect the Dodgers from the NL west to be a MAJOR problem in the post season now that Manny has to prove himself again. We'll see how long he can keep THAT up! I feel REALLY good that Jason Bay has come to Boston and be a positive force in the Red Sox lineup displacing the Cancer that was Manny. Too bad, Manny is probably the MOST gifted hitter in baseball, but he'll always find a way to drag the team down eventually. Hopefully for the Dodgers he'll last the two years I predict he has left before he retires to spend all of the ridiculous money he's made for himself, ON himself. Maybe he'll do the right thing for those remaining two years and play the game right and finish his career looking good.

OK baseball fans, what's YOUR take on all of this? Any added stuff from YOUR perspective?

LET'S TALK SOME BASEBALL!! It's what we drummers DO to relax before and after playing drums!!

Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
nhzoso

Well as a diehard Red Sox fan I must admit I love seeing the Yankees struggle and waste money, and history tells me as it should any Sox fan that they will be right in the thick of it by the end of the season.

That new stadium is a joke, $2500 seats?? Are you kidding me did someone tell them there is a recession WTH?

Was watching Sox/Yankees game in Fenway (greatest park on the planet) a few weeks ago and Jeter hit a foul ball just over 1st base and this guy yells out "Hey thats a homerun in your park" LOL The whole section was cracking up...

I am pretty confident the Yanks will have to lower prices to get their real fans back in the seats.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Breaking News. Ha Ha. Manny Ramirez gets suspended for 50 games for using a banned substance. So long pay check.