DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default My yamaha's

So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years

The configuration I played until this past summer 8,10,12,13,14,15,16 toms 22" kick 6.5x14 custom snare.









My current setup the 2up 2 down 10,12,14,16 toms 22" kick, 5x14 DW Custom Maple snare. Dw9000 bass pedal and Dw5000 HH stand.

All cymbals are zildgian
8" and 10 " splashes
16 med thin crash
18 med thin crash
20 med ride
20 Hi China
17 med thin
18 med (not pictured in the new setup)
14" new beat hi hats.

Evans G2 over G1 on the toms, Aquarian SK1 on the kick with an Aquarian regulator reso.







__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My yamaha's

Follows my philosophy....you can always re-configure a big kit like that. Few, some or lots.

In this day and age I like to read statements like:

"So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years"

It reinforces my statements about yamaha and sonor owners. "Buy to keep forever".

The majority of the time I'd read something like:

"So here's the tama/pearl kit I've been playing for the past 20+ weeks"

It's nice to see someone buy a high performance classic, and actually keep and use it!

You seem to have a suspended mic in the floor tom?

BOSE 601 series V?

Last edited by trkdrmr; 02-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM
SoundFocus's Avatar
SoundFocus SoundFocus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
Default Re: My yamaha's

i agree, buy it, take care of it, use it, enjoy it and play it,

i am a tama guy, starclassics to be exact, i consider the kits to be an investment not the flavor of the day, i would be just as proud if my kits were yamaha, etc, beautifully made kits are to be appreciated and played, gotta love it,

that is a great kit and with all of the setups possible as already mentioned, alot of fun, congrats on a very nice kit that looks as good as any kit purchased today,
__________________
"be safe, be happy and dont let anyone make you afraid" David Coverdale
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Follows my philosophy....you can always re-configure a big kit like that. Few, some or lots.

In this day and age I like to read statements like:

"So here's the yamaha kit I've been playing for the past 20+ years"

It reinforces my statements about yamaha and sonor owners. "Buy to keep forever".

The majority of the time I'd read something like:

"So here's the tama/pearl kit I've been playing for the past 20+ weeks"

It's nice to see someone buy a high performance classic, and actually keep and use it!

You seem to have a suspended mic in the floor tom?

BOSE 601 series V?

Actually it's not a suspended mic. It's a special limited run floor tom that Yamaha made, the wire you see inside is connected to a footpedal so you can adjust the tension like a tympani. If you look at the third pic in my original setup and my new setup you can see the "lugs" are not traditional lugs. I'll have to take some pics of it tonight so you can see how it works. I haven't had the pedal hooked up for some time, it's really hard on the heads!
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Bram Bram is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 420
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Actually it's not a suspended mic. It's a special limited run floor tom that Yamaha made, the wire you see inside is connected to a footpedal so you can adjust the tension like a tympani. If you look at the third pic in my original setup and my new setup you can see the "lugs" are not traditional lugs. I'll have to take some pics of it tonight so you can see how it works. I haven't had the pedal hooked up for some time, it's really hard on the heads!
That's so cool!!!!!!!!!
__________________
My drumset
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
That's so cool!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I got lucky when I got it.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
SoCalMike's Avatar
SoCalMike SoCalMike is offline
Official Drummerworld Photographer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whittier, Ca
Posts: 344
Default Re: My yamaha's

Nice kit Kona can We get a few more pic's of that floor tom?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
"So here's the tama/pearl kit I've been playing for the past 20+ weeks"

It's nice to see someone buy a high performance classic, and actually keep and use it!

You seem to have a suspended mic in the floor tom?

BOSE 601 series V?
Hey steady on that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I've had my TAMA kit for nearly 60 weeks now! :p

That's a pretty mint kit, all the drums seem very shallow like a hyper drive kit or something.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Hey steady on that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, I've had my TAMA kit for nearly 60 weeks now! :p

That's a pretty mint kit, all the drums seem very shallow like a hyper drive kit or something.
I can kind of generalize about a lot of pearl/tama drummers. There is a larger number of younger owners than sonor/yamaha has. This is not a reflection on the quality or sound of tama/pearl drums, but among drum companies, they have a faster/higher resale rate than sonor or yamaha. One trip through e-bay, and the used tama/pearl stuff outnumber the rest 5 or 10 to 1. Of course, there are fewer shops around me that sell yamaha and sonor, especially sonor. I even posted a thread that indicated how rare it is you see a used yamaha RC kit...unless it's 10-20 years old.

That's great news for Tama/Pearl fans who want used stuff. In fact, I have seen too many Pearl guys resell perfectly good high end pearl kits that are 5-10 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

so here's some more pics of the floor tom.









__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default Re: My yamaha's

all i can say: woah! yeah that thing would murder the heads - cool contraption but.

may i ask what type of yammie it is? RC? I used to own one like it but i never knew what it was. and now i wish i never gave it away!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 AM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhog View Post
all i can say: woah! yeah that thing would murder the heads - cool contraption but.

may i ask what type of yammie it is? RC? I used to own one like it but i never knew what it was. and now i wish i never gave it away!


I actually e-mailed yamaha about that a few years ago because I was curious. When I got it I was like 12 and all I knew was it was Yamaha and it sounded really good. According to Yamaha these are the predecessors to the RC's.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 AM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

i've often wondered how much tone that is actually taking away from the drum as it can definitely interrupt the air flow. It's a cool thing but I just put the pedal on for the first time in I can't tell you how long for the pic.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 2,196
Default Re: My yamaha's

They look exactly like the tour-customs I had back in the late 80's. They were good drums. My question is this: What holds the tension at the current pitch on the floor tom? Is there a ratchet on the pedal like on timpani? thanks...
__________________
"Music is the traveler crossing our world, meeting so many people, bridging the seas"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 AM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
They look exactly like the tour-customs I had back in the late 80's. They were good drums. My question is this: What holds the tension at the current pitch on the floor tom? Is there a ratchet on the pedal like on timpani? thanks...
No you'd either hold the tension with your foot or pre set the higher pitch you wanted. There is a little piece that swivels over the foot board or into the slot where it looks like a toe stop should be that would hold the pedal.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I actually e-mailed yamaha about that a few years ago because I was curious. When I got it I was like 12 and all I knew was it was Yamaha and it sounded really good. According to Yamaha these are the predecessors to the RC's.
the yamaha mysteries live on!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: My yamaha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhog View Post
the yamaha mysteries live on!

No mystery now thanks to Dave at Yamaha
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com