DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Ok. After 4 years of teaching myself drums and waiting until my parents could afford drum lessons, I finally got a drum teacher in August. At first, I just saw him as my drum teacher. Now, I am starting to see him as a potential friend, and I've been wanting to just hangout with him. However, he's at least 20 years older than me (I'm 19), and I know he likes me as a student but not as a friend which I can understand. Nonetheless, I still want to be his friend, only his friend. I'm definitely not crushing on him. As I am going away to college in August, I won't be taking drum lessons from him. What I'm trying to ask is: How do I handle this? Is it weird to want to be friends your drum teacher? Are any of you friends with your drum teacher?
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me

Last edited by drummerchick435; 02-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 AM
LM201's Avatar
LM201 LM201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mt, Juliet, Tennessee
Posts: 429
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

I'm friends with my first drum teacher. I had him for two years, then our family started on hard times. I hung out with him like twice a week or so, and he'd still give me help if I asked for it, he's awesome. I live in Tennessee now and when I visited California in October, he let me stay with his family. I'm 15 and this guy is like a second father.

My band's piano player is a student of Reese Wynans (Organ player for ex-Stevie Ray Vaughn), he helped us with getting our band some gigs and I hang out with him every once in a while
__________________
PEWFLADCC-Master Cake Baker
!!!!RIP FINN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 AM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

I love my drum teacher. He's awesome. I think he might consider me as a friend. He gave me a hug (fatherly hug). I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Plus he considers me to be one of his best students (not trying to brag AT ALL), so that might have to do with something.

I was actually considering to move to a different place to get lessons, but I like the whole staff and my drum teacher to much to move right now. The reason of moving was pretty small too.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM201 View Post
I'm friends with my first drum teacher. I had him for two years, then our family started on hard times. I hung out with him like twice a week or so, and he'd still give me help if I asked for it, he's awesome. I live in Tennessee now and when I visited California in October, he let me stay with his family. I'm 15 and this guy is like a second father.

My band's piano player is a student of Reese Wynans (Organ player for ex-Stevie Ray Vaughn), he helped us with getting our band some gigs and I hang out with him every once in a while
Thanks! That's kind of how I see my drum teacher. He's like a second father too.

Cool story about your band's piano player. I'd love to take a lesson from Mike Portnoy or someone like that.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer girl09 View Post
I love my drum teacher. He's awesome. I think he might consider me as a friend. He gave me a hug (fatherly hug). I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Plus he considers me to be one of his best students (not trying to brag AT ALL), so that might have to do with something.

I was actually considering to move to a different place to get lessons, but I like the whole staff and my drum teacher to much to move right now. The reason of moving was pretty small too.
Thanks! It's great to know I'm not alone and weird. My teacher also thinks I'm one of his best students, I guess.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me

Last edited by drummerchick435; 04-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:39 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,786
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Not odd at all.

I remained friends with several different teachers over the years. Some I still see from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 AM
ExPLiciT's Avatar
ExPLiciT ExPLiciT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Yorktown, New York
Posts: 98
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

im friends with my teacher. though there is only a 10 year difference in age. he always invites me to his shows. i saw him play at warped tour and we hung out for like half the day and went to see other bands together. adn he helped me out of a couple of bad times i had. and he is always lenient about paying him, if i dont have it hell let me pay him next week. a number of times he just gave me free lessons cause i was having some money trouble. he also gives me all kinds of advice outside of music too.

it is always easier to play in front of a friend then it is a teacher, IMO. which might make it easier for you.
__________________
GTLALAAATAI

People?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 AM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPLiciT View Post
im friends with my teacher. though there is only a 10 year difference in age. he always invites me to his shows. i saw him play at warped tour and we hung out for like half the day and went to see other bands together. adn he helped me out of a couple of bad times i had. and he is always lenient about paying him, if i dont have it hell let me pay him next week. a number of times he just gave me free lessons cause i was having some money trouble. he also gives me all kinds of advice outside of music too.

it is always easier to play in front of a friend then it is a teacher, IMO. which might make it easier for you.
Sounds like an awesome drum teacher! Mine gave me a shirt for free...but not lessons, ha! But it is good to have a great drummer/musicians as your friend, and teacher for any questions you have.

That is true about it easier to play in front of a friend than a teacher. Never thought of that. It's more fun too. What is IMO?
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM
LM201's Avatar
LM201 LM201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mt, Juliet, Tennessee
Posts: 429
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer girl09 View Post
Sounds like an awesome drum teacher! Mine gave me a shirt for free...but not lessons, ha! But it is good to have a great drummer/musicians as your friend, and teacher for any questions you have.

That is true about it easier to play in front of a friend than a teacher. Never thought of that. It's more fun too. What is IMO?
In my opinion 20405435423543245
__________________
PEWFLADCC-Master Cake Baker
!!!!RIP FINN!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not odd at all.

I remained friends with several different teachers over the years. Some I still see from time to time.
Thanks! It really is great to know I'm not weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPLiciT View Post
im friends with my teacher. though there is only a 10 year difference in age. he always invites me to his shows. i saw him play at warped tour and we hung out for like half the day and went to see other bands together. adn he helped me out of a couple of bad times i had. and he is always lenient about paying him, if i dont have it hell let me pay him next week. a number of times he just gave me free lessons cause i was having some money trouble. he also gives me all kinds of advice outside of music too.

it is always easier to play in front of a friend then it is a teacher, IMO. which might make it easier for you.
He sounds like an awesome teacher!

I agree that playing in front of friends is easier than playing in front of a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer girl09 View Post
Sounds like an awesome drum teacher! Mine gave me a shirt for free...but not lessons, ha! But it is good to have a great drummer/musicians as your friend, and teacher for any questions you have.

That is true about it easier to play in front of a friend than a teacher. Never thought of that. It's more fun too. What is IMO?
IMO = In My Opinion
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Der Februar's Avatar
Der Februar Der Februar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

It's not weird or anything but other people will think it is. Watch Juno.
__________________
Tupac Shakur/Johnny Cash MP3 here.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
darkstar442's Avatar
darkstar442 darkstar442 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 181
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

its not weird im friends with mine. i have been taking for like 3-4 years from him. hes lik a bro to me
__________________
"Music is the only thing that makes since any more, cherish it, dont waste it."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,575
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

There's no age limit on friends. Older persons enjoy being looked up to and guiding younger people and the younger people benefit from having someone with more life experience to act as a sounding board. It's a win win, but you have to avoid the whole male/female pitfall. I think it's great as long as lines aren't crossed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

i think my drum teacher did a good job of pretending to be your friend.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Being Friends With Your Drum Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Februar View Post
It's not weird or anything but other people will think it is. Watch Juno.
As long as he and I don't hang out in each others' houses late at night, it won't be a problem. Unlike Juno, I have standards when it comes to getting intimate with men. Not until marriage. I just like him as a friend/mentor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
its not weird im friends with mine. i have been taking for like 3-4 years from him. hes lik a bro to me
Thanks! Come Monday, I think I'll express my appreciation for him, and I'll see where he want to go from there. If he wants to keep our relationship as teacher-student, I guess I'll just have to live with it. If he wants to pursue a deeper relationship, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
There's no age limit on friends. Older persons enjoy being looked up to and guiding younger people and the younger people benefit from having someone with more life experience to act as a sounding board. It's a win win, but you have to avoid the whole male/female pitfall. I think it's great as long as lines aren't crossed.
In some ways I do look up to him. He's really the only one who has 100% encouraged me to pursue my dream of being a professional musician. Other people have encouraged me, but they say things like "You'd better not quit your day job." or "Wait until after college so you have something to fall back on." I sometimes call him my "music dad" because my real dad doesn't quite understand my passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
i think my drum teacher did a good job of pretending to be your friend.
As far as I know, he does genuinely like me. He told my mom (who told me) that he loves teaching me because of my passion and ability. I can tell he hates it when time runs out in our lesson. I certainly hope he isn't pretending. I like genuine, honest people.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me

Last edited by drummerchick435; 04-03-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com