DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

Default Pinstripe as reso head?

Hi all,

I've got a 15x11 Rack Tom and two 15" heads; an Ambassador and a Pinstripe. All my toms and snare have Ebony Ambassadors on them, so I thought of putting my Ambassador as batter head on my 15" tom, but that would mean the Pinstripe is going to be a reso. I am afraid it will defeat the purpose of having a reso head, so I am asking for your advise. What should I do: Pinstripe on top or Ambassador on top?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Pinstripe as reso head?

im pretty sure that its better to have a single ply head as a reso head, so that would be the ambassador as the reso and the pinstripe as the batter
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

It works. I did that on my 14'' floor tom, it had very bad overtones, caused by the stock reso.
You tom will sing a little less, and you will get less overtones. I have a Emperior as reso now, and it works great
I have Ambassador over and under on all other toms.

-Mofle
Old 06-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah I wouldn't use a pinstripe as a reso, it'll really kill the sound of your drum. I know lot's of guys are using 2 ply reso's lately like an emperor or G2 and having good results on their larger toms. I personally still prefer a properly tuned single ply as my reso. Let the drum do what it was meant to do and that's have some tone and reonance.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM

batter: hydraulic
reso: pinstripe
the best combination in the world for toms

now, out of joking, i dont think that pinstripe will be good as resonant. If you dont want to put the pinstripe as batter because you have ambassadors on the other toms, why did you buy it?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Ok thanks a lot for all the comments, I have put my Pinstripe on top and my Ambassador as reso. The tom really sounds killer now, full, deep and singing.

I bought the Pinstripe and the Ambassador together for 25 from someone from the internet, and the 15" isn't part of my set originally.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Guinness

I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in on this and ask, why Remo? I used to use a pin stripe on the batter and ambassador on the reso, but was never quite satisfied with my bass drum tone. I decided to experiment with different brands and different combinations and after much time, research and MONEY...ha!, I found the perfect combination for myself with an Aquarian Super Kick 1 batter/ Regulator reso combination. Seriously, if you want a big boomy punch you should give it a try sometime. No muffling at all, the Regulator controls the overtones that well, without sacrificing the resonance most desire from a kick drum. I tune the batter up about as tight as a floor tom and the reso almost a little past finger tight (there really isn't a wrinkle stage with the Regulator). You will be amazed. My band loves it and everytime I have filled in for gigs with different bands at least one guy will turn around about midway through the show and say, "Man! I love that kick drum!"

Good luck,
Scott
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in on this and ask, why Remo? I used to use a pin stripe on the batter and ambassador on the reso, but was never quite satisfied with my bass drum tone. I decided to experiment with different brands and different combinations and after much time, research and MONEY...ha!, I found the perfect combination for myself with an Aquarian Super Kick 1 batter/ Regulator reso combination. Seriously, if you want a big boomy punch you should give it a try sometime. No muffling at all, the Regulator controls the overtones that well, without sacrificing the resonance most desire from a kick drum. I tune the batter up about as tight as a floor tom and the reso almost a little past finger tight (there really isn't a wrinkle stage with the Regulator). You will be amazed. My band loves it and everytime I have filled in for gigs with different bands at least one guy will turn around about midway through the show and say, "Man! I love that kick drum!"

Good luck,
Scott

Ummm Scott, he was talking about a 15" tom......
Old 06-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Ok thanks a lot for all the comments, I have put my Pinstripe on top and my Ambassador as reso. The tom really sounds killer now, full, deep and singing.

I bought the Pinstripe and the Ambassador together for 25 from someone from the internet, and the 15" isn't part of my set originally.

Thanks again for the comments.
Glad it's working out for you and glad you asked before denting up that ambassador by putting it on the batter and then trying to switch them.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
PlaysforFun

To the OP.....your allowed to use whatever you want. Why not try it and see if you like it.
If it sounds good to you then by all means keep it that way, it doesn't matter what some of us may say. Although some people on here claim to be the "drum police" I promise you won't get in trouble by doing something different.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

[quote=konaboy;322790]Ummm Scott, he was talking about a 15" tom......[/QUOTE]

He must of had a Guinness! Good stuff Scott.