DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 AM

Default DW 4000 double pedal advice

I'm using a DW 4000 double bass pedal and it seems to be ok. I'm not exactly proficent at it yet, but that's another matter. My question is this. Other than a few adjustments such as distance of beater to the head, what advantages are there to the 'better' pedals on the market, such as DW 9000, Alexis, etc. I'm using the 4000 on a practice pad and would consider upgrading for my kit if the money is worth spending. This is my first due dilegence so I'm open and unopinionated. Thanks for any advice or comment.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: DW 4000 double pedal advice

Big Differences! Tolerances are much tighter which means less play in the pedal, better bearings, adjustability. You'll find they are much smoother and easier to play. Axis is a totally different ball game as it's a direct drive pedal instead of a chain drive, here again it's smoother and easier to play. Some love the Axis direct drives, others don't it's one you really need to try to see if you like it.

Bottom line is you should really go to a store and maybe take your pedals with you and set them up side by side to compare them and let your feet help you make the decision.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM

My advice, from years of experience, is to decide that as you don't have double bass drumming down start from scratch and do it right. If your good you can play on any pedal. I was playing Slayer on speed kings in the 80's and found the DW5000's. They made a big difference but the key was doing the fundamentals right. I would also say that if you haven't become really good at double bass then you really won't know what feels faster or better because the lack of experience with the technique. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here and learn from their information. When I hear enough people talk about the quality and performance of a product I listen and base decisions on that. I have done this throughout my drumming career and its really helped. For example, when I first learned double bass it was new and didn't feel natural so I didn't go by my feel rather I spoke to several great drummers and watched them and learned from their experience. Your DW4000's are good pedals and you'll be able to learn a lot and get good using them. I'm at the point where I am no expert but good at double bass and I can tell the difference between brands of pedals...it took 15 years of playing double bass to get to this point. If both pedals are set the same and in good condition...hop on the throne and practice (in addition to regular practise) footwork for at least 1/2- 1 hour a day. Every day for 1/2 hour I work on my speed as I am entering the WFD they hold at Woodwind and Brasswind/ Guitar Center. I work on speed with control and do nothing but feet for a 1/2 hour. You'd be amazed at how the stamina and control comes. Do that with those DW4000's til they don't work anymore and go buy some more.

"Watching great drummers humbles & Inspires me!"
Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Guys, solid advice both. I'm doing some version of 'ti chi' (sp) I suppose. At least thats how I think of it. What I mean by that is working my feet in conjuction with my hands to get them all working together and coordinated. That would include doing ostinatos of the basics (singles, doubles, inverted paradiddles, off beat doubles, etc.) with my hands while focusing on keeping perfect time playing trips, sixteenths and thirty seconds with the feet. Keeping in mind to do this at slow speeds, working the metronome up a beat or two daily unless I'm not ready for it. By my math I'll be ready for the WFD in about thirty years... LOL. Yeah, I'm not ready for a pedal upgrade just yet (can't afford itreally), but have discovered that the slightest differences in some equiptment can often make a substantial difference. Ray Luzier has a great DVD on double bass technique, and he never mentioned the sophistication of the pedal once. In my opinion that said reams and goes right along with your point Hoosier.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Glad to be of help and it seems you've got a great plan. I like to spend time playing hands and feet for fast double bass because its different than just doing feet. But for me, just doing feet allowed me to concentrate on the technique and motion without the distration of hands. So don't be afraid to just do feet. You will learn, quickly, about balance when you start playing with hands as well. By that time, you'll know whats comfortable.

"Watching great drummers humbles & Inspires me!"