DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 780
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
Actually, the bottom photo (above) logo looks like Ludwig w/the L connecting to the G. Maybe?
It is... my Ludwigs on my cage that used to belong to Tommy.....
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Hello, colleagues.

Few pictures to share regarding Tommy's drum-set.

All the Best,
Attached Images
  
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 404
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
It is... my Ludwigs on my cage that used to belong to Tommy.....
Ok. I get it....................
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 AM
kgrubb's Avatar
kgrubb kgrubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Logan, Ohio USA
Posts: 126
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

anyone have any pics of tommys sonors i'd kinda like to see those
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Jim Penebaker Jim Penebaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Jungle, baby!!
Posts: 58
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
Tommy is a great drummer and influence to a lot of drummers. A double bass master back in the day and now. The problem is that now w/the likes of, Lang, Minnimen, Donati, and Grant Collins they have taken double bass to a new extreme. And Jordison, Roddy, Adler and many more have extreme speed. So by todays standards, as great as Tommy is he could get looked at as average along w/ Alex Van Halen, Deen Castronova, Gregg Bissonette and others that have used it well but not gone to the extremes.
Still, Tommy is a big influence to many, many drummers. Myself included.
Please. All the drummers you mentioned are worth listening to. A lot of the "old school" players you listed have so much more going on than sheer speed or crazy independence. Guys like Gregg Bissonette have done such a wide variety of gigs including jazz, latin, big band, pop, ect. I wonder if some of the "extreme" drummers of today could be as diverse and make it sound authentic. A lot of them are mainly doing the freakshow clinic thing, demonstrating things that would be of little use to aspiring drummers.
Tommy Aldrige is clearly influenced by drummers like Bonham, Carmine Appice, ect. He has that rock sound and feel to his playing.
I've seen certain extreme drummers sit in on straight up rock gigs and a couple times I thought it just wasn't working. Like they were out of place, with a need to throw in all the busy crazy fills. In that respect you can say that many of the old school guys are better suited for rock gigs.
Sometimes speed for speeds sake might be to blame for what's killing the art of drumming. Speed is important but not at the expense of everything else like pocket and groove.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 780
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrubb View Post
anyone have any pics of tommys sonors i'd kinda like to see those
Look for Randy Rhoads pics with Ozzy, they have Tommy in the background on one of his Sonors. Also, Bark at the Moon DVD. White Sonors... also a mix of Paiste and Zildjians..
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little

Last edited by latzanimal; 08-16-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Where's the spellcheck?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 404
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
Please. All the drummers you mentioned are worth listening to. A lot of the "old school" players you listed have so much more going on than sheer speed or crazy independence. Guys like Gregg Bissonette have done such a wide variety of gigs including jazz, latin, big band, pop, ect. I wonder if some of the "extreme" drummers of today could be as diverse and make it sound authentic. A lot of them are mainly doing the freakshow clinic thing, demonstrating things that would be of little use to aspiring drummers.
Tommy Aldrige is clearly influenced by drummers like Bonham, Carmine Appice, ect. He has that rock sound and feel to his playing.
I've seen certain extreme drummers sit in on straight up rock gigs and a couple times I thought it just wasn't working. Like they were out of place, with a need to throw in all the busy crazy fills. In that respect you can say that many of the old school guys are better suited for rock gigs.
Sometimes speed for speeds sake might be to blame for what's killing the art of drumming. Speed is important but not at the expense of everything else like pocket and groove.
Ok. Thats exactly my point. Cant tell if your trying to rip me or what. Tommy is a great drummer. An Icon in the Rock world. I was saying he could be considered basic by speed guys that only know about speed. Bissonette is my favorite. A versitle drummer that cant even touch Speed drummers. But thats what appeals to me about Gregg. He can play just about anything that can keep him working and in demand. The "Extreme guys have their place, but guys Like Tommy, Alex, or Neil should not be forgoten for their contribution to the drumming world. Whether today or 20 years ago.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Jim Penebaker Jim Penebaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Jungle, baby!!
Posts: 58
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
Ok. Thats exactly my point. Cant tell if your trying to rip me or what. Tommy is a great drummer. An Icon in the Rock world. I was saying he could be considered basic by speed guys that only know about speed. Bissonette is my favorite. A versitle drummer that cant even touch Speed drummers. But thats what appeals to me about Gregg. He can play just about anything that can keep him working and in demand. The "Extreme guys have their place, but guys Like Tommy, Alex, or Neil should not be forgoten for their contribution to the drumming world. Whether today or 20 years ago.
I just think the whole speed for speeds sake is getting out of hand. It can be frustrating when you have drum students that mostly are into the extreme and speed drummers because they have a lot of trouble learning how to make music with other musicians. I'm not trying to rip anybody, just making sure that the guys that matter get their due, including a guy like Tommy Aldrige.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Fellows,
Enjoy Tommy's picture.
Cheers,
Attached Images
 
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
mikeybbdrummin mikeybbdrummin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 404
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
I just think the whole speed for speeds sake is getting out of hand. It can be frustrating when you have drum students that mostly are into the extreme and speed drummers because they have a lot of trouble learning how to make music with other musicians. I'm not trying to rip anybody, just making sure that the guys that matter get their due, including a guy like Tommy Aldrige.
I think we are on the same page. I think Van Halen, T.Lee, Castronovo, Peart, Bissonette, Aldridge, R. Castillo and more just solid rock drummers that are good at what THEY do get over looked. Because there are guys taking it to a whole other level. Drummhead mag. is out now and it a Superdrummers issue. There is a cd inside w/ Donati, Minnimen, Lang, G. Collins, Mangini, N. D'Virgilio and a guy I have not heard of. The stuff on the cd is AMAZING............for what it is. To me its not what the average or above average drummer could apply on a regular basic. They are the few out there doing just mind blowing drumming. But at the same token the guys at the top of this list should get recognition for what they have contributed to drums. Even if you (not you personally) don't like the bands they were in.
__________________

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 AM
slingerland755's Avatar
slingerland755 slingerland755 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 786
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Great point! My sentiments exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 780
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
Fellows,
Enjoy Tommy's picture.
Cheers,
Cool pic.. thanks..........
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Vipercussionist's Avatar
Vipercussionist Vipercussionist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rhode Island (USA)
Posts: 742
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
Please. All the drummers you mentioned are worth listening to. A lot of the "old school" players you listed have so much more going on than sheer speed or crazy independence. Guys like Gregg Bissonette have done such a wide variety of gigs including jazz, latin, big band, pop, ect. I wonder if some of the "extreme" drummers of today could be as diverse and make it sound authentic. A lot of them are mainly doing the freakshow clinic thing, demonstrating things that would be of little use to aspiring drummers.
Tommy Aldrige is clearly influenced by drummers like Bonham, Carmine Appice, ect. He has that rock sound and feel to his playing.
I've seen certain extreme drummers sit in on straight up rock gigs and a couple times I thought it just wasn't working. Like they were out of place, with a need to throw in all the busy crazy fills. In that respect you can say that many of the old school guys are better suited for rock gigs.
Sometimes speed for speeds sake might be to blame for what's killing the art of drumming. Speed is important but not at the expense of everything else like pocket and groove.
AMEN BRUTHA!! Extreme drumming is cool, no doubt about it and there's plenty I enjoy listening to, but I must say too much it lacks the toe tapping fun and last but not least, MUSICAL approach that makes drumming worthwhile. It seems to be a way to showcase the drummers talents and endurance and doesn't seem to be a vehicle for showcasing songwriting at least that I can hear. There of course are the exceptional talents like Derek and Flo who have time and again showed their abilities to incorporate other styles of music into their playing even though they are well known for extreme drumming.

On to Tommy,
I was quite fortunate to be able to see Tommy Aldridge with Ozzy right after Randy Rhoads passed away, it was bittersweet as it was my first time seeing Tommy in a band situation so I was excited to see that, but was sad to know Randy was gone.

I got to see him in a clinic setting out in New Jersey (a 4+ hour drive one way for me) and luckily I was there early enough to have been hanging at the local drum store there and Tommy was there hanging out too. He is a very nice man, sincerely interested in talking with folks as we found out and he was just havin' fun and cracked a few jokes as we checked out the store and conversed a bit.

I'm having trouble remembering the date and If I can dig it up I'll edit this post and add the date, but it was a clinic with Tommy Aldridge, Joe Franco and a couple of other drummers were there too, but I was so blown away with Tommy and Joe that I paid all my attention to them and I pretty much blocked out the rest! L0L!! Tommy and Joe were just mind bending, I wish I had a video to watch of that clinic.
.
__________________
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Jim Penebaker Jim Penebaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Jungle, baby!!
Posts: 58
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
AMEN BRUTHA!! Extreme drumming is cool, no doubt about it and there's plenty I enjoy listening to, but I must say too much it lacks the toe tapping fun and last but not least, MUSICAL approach that makes drumming worthwhile. It seems to be a way to showcase the drummers talents and endurance and doesn't seem to be a vehicle for showcasing songwriting at least that I can hear. There of course are the exceptional talents like Derek and Flo who have time and again showed their abilities to incorporate other styles of music into their playing even though they are well known for extreme drumming.

On to Tommy,
I was quite fortunate to be able to see Tommy Aldridge with Ozzy right after Randy Rhoads passed away, it was bittersweet as it was my first time seeing Tommy in a band situation so I was excited to see that, but was sad to know Randy was gone.

I got to see him in a clinic setting out in New Jersey (a 4+ hour drive one way for me) and luckily I was there early enough to have been hanging at the local drum store there and Tommy was there hanging out too. He is a very nice man, sincerely interested in talking with folks as we found out and he was just havin' fun and cracked a few jokes as we checked out the store and conversed a bit.

I'm having trouble remembering the date and If I can dig it up I'll edit this post and add the date, but it was a clinic with Tommy Aldridge, Joe Franco and a couple of other drummers were there too, but I was so blown away with Tommy and Joe that I paid all my attention to them and I pretty much blocked out the rest! L0L!! Tommy and Joe were just mind bending, I wish I had a video to watch of that clinic.
.

There ya go. That's what I'm talking about.

I hadn't seen Tommy Aldridge live in concert till more recently. I saw him play with Whitesnake maybe 4 years ago. I loved it, although he didn't do a drum solo. I think because they were on a double bill with the Scorpions so they had to do an abbreviated set. But it was amazing to see him play. That's what made me really become interested in his playing. My old drum teacher gave me a VHS copy of his instructional video from way back. Not sure if it's on DVD but they should release it that way because it's such a great video. I was also turned on to the Pat Travers record "Live: Go For What You Know" with Tommy. A definite classic.
Joe Franco is another guy I've heard a little about but should do more research on. Any key records with him to look into?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Vipercussionist's Avatar
Vipercussionist Vipercussionist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rhode Island (USA)
Posts: 742
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
There ya go. That's what I'm talking about.

I hadn't seen Tommy Aldridge live in concert till more recently. I saw him play with Whitesnake maybe 4 years ago. I loved it, although he didn't do a drum solo. I think because they were on a double bill with the Scorpions so they had to do an abbreviated set. But it was amazing to see him play. That's what made me really become interested in his playing. My old drum teacher gave me a VHS copy of his instructional video from way back. Not sure if it's on DVD but they should release it that way because it's such a great video. I was also turned on to the Pat Travers record "Live: Go For What You Know" with Tommy. A definite classic.
Joe Franco is another guy I've heard a little about but should do more research on. Any key records with him to look into?
I'm not too sure what bands albums he's on, but I know he has a few instructional videos and books, I'm sure they're worth a check out!
.
__________________
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Laurent Laurent is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Posts: 68
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I've seen Tommy many times and he is absolutely amazing. In his style, I think he is the best. I saw him last January playing at the Yamaha Groove Night and he played a killer version of Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town".

I don't have many things with Joe Franco. He did some sessions with Henry Lee Summer back in the late 80's. Probably his most famous recording is on Twisted Sister's "Love Is For Suckers". I really like this album. It is a bit more rooted than their other CDs.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Tommy Aldridge is an skin-beater supreme! He is action not words.
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Vipercussionist's Avatar
Vipercussionist Vipercussionist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rhode Island (USA)
Posts: 742
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrubb View Post
anyone have any pics of tommys sonors i'd kinda like to see those
Here's an OLD pic that might bring you some laughs!!


And another:

.
.
__________________
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I just picked up a dvd of Tommy's old hot licks videos.

It has "Rock drum soloing" and "Beyond the groove". It's got some nice ideas on double bass variants vs just 16th's.

He is an interesting guy and a power drummer that is from the Appice/Bonham mold. He clearly decribes stuff Bonham did to influence him. And the new drummers aren't as "extreme" in difference as one might assume. Tommy has a ton of licks and he knows how to describe them.

I have always loved his work. I also have his Whitesnake DVD... Tommy rocks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I just picked up a dvd of Tommy's old hot licks videos.

It has "Rock drum soloing" and "Beyond the groove". It's got some nice ideas on double bass variants vs just 16th's.

He is an interesting guy and a power drummer that is from the Appice/Bonham mold. He clearly decribes stuff Bonham did to influence him. And the new drummers aren't as "extreme" in difference as one might assume. Tommy has a ton of licks and he knows how to describe them.

I have always loved his work. I also have his Whitesnake DVD... Tommy rocks!!!
Tommy IMHO is the only drummer that comes close too Bonham when it comes too

playing with just your hands. One of my fav's.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Tommy IMHO is the only drummer that comes close too Bonham when it comes too

playing with just your hands. One of my fav's.

Bonzolead
Yep, he addressed that. He said he played at home that way to keep the sound down. He is very articulate at hands-only. There is a section on playing with hands as well.

I personally, won't hurt myself trying it.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,200
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Yep, he addressed that. He said he played at home that way to keep the sound down. He is very articulate at hands-only. There is a section on playing with hands as well.

I personally, won't hurt myself trying it.
I'm dating myself I used too have that on VHS (Yes VHS) and watched that many times I

love the conga roll trick he does by rolling his fingers across his thumb.totally cool.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
I'm dating myself I used too have that on VHS (Yes VHS) and watched that many times I

love the conga roll trick he does by rolling his fingers across his thumb.totally cool.

Bonzolead
I still have Steve Gadd, Simon Phillips, Mike Portnoy and Dennis Chambers drum videos on VHS....
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
airsmunch1's Avatar
airsmunch1 airsmunch1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 95
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Mr. Tommy Aldridge.

Bare handing the skins for Ozzy, pounding it out for White Snake.

Yeah, he has got the low end down.

www.wolvesatthedoor.net
__________________
John Jones from Wolves at the door
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,403
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
Joe Franco is another guy I've heard a little about but should do more research on. Any key records with him to look into?
Vinny Moore's 2nd albums had Joe Franco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Odyssey_(album)

Tommy Aldridge played on his 1st album.

Both are instrumental rock albums (from the 80's shred days).

My favorite Aldridge recording is Project Driver album Tommy put together; sort of like Whitesnake on speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Driver

I used to have all these albums on tape. I keep meaning to re-buying them on CD.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
DamianArletto's Avatar
DamianArletto DamianArletto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 42
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I first saw him playing with the Pat Travers Band in San Diego. Since then I've seen him at 2 drum clinics, with Ozzy, Ted Nugent and Whitesnake. He has been one of my favorite drummers since I first saw him. I actually got to hang out with him at a N.A.M.M. show for a couple of hours, had dinner and such. Really cool cat.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

ah, Tommy Aldridge, got hip to him back in the early 70's with Black Oak Arkansas and the Raunch N Roll album. Just a fine fine drummer! I've got quite a few CD's of numerous band with Tommy on drums and he's always kickin' butt and takin' names.

Someone mentioned Joe Franco and I got to see Joe with the Good Rats back in the day and they were a great band. Joe was solid with impressive chops. Check out his drum solo on the Good Rats Live at Last album, if you can find it for a reasonable price. He's also on some Vinnie Moore albums which are worth checking out. Vinnie's a badass on guitar!
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I never had the chance to meet Tommy personally, but his drum-work on Ozzy Osbourne "Speak of the Devil" is amazing!!! and his freelance work, as well.

Cheers,
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 AM
b4z b4z is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 43
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I've always like his playing. I have a pat travers album from around 1980 that he is on.
It has "snorting whiskey and drinking cocaine" and 'born under a bad sign" plus the famous 'is this love" great drumming and guitar playing.

one thing i'm not happy about with Tommy, and this is not a criticism, but more of an observation, but his rack toms are so large that you can't see him head on. Just hair and arms flying.
he seems to sit really low. I think when he was with Whitesnake in the '80s he played 14" and 15" power rack toms and you just couldn't see the guy.
I wonder why the band members or management didn't do something?
maybe even have him go back to one 14" er between the the 2 bass drums to get it down in height.
IDK.

I too have the VHS tape of him that I bought in 1990. Super great rock drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 AM
sticksnstonesrus's Avatar
sticksnstonesrus sticksnstonesrus is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virignia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 762
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

I bought and still own his double-bass workout VHS tape. It opens with the ever-famous solo, and even breaks down the open-handed parts. I watched that tape like a hundred times.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Ucho Ucho is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default Mikkey Dee!

Hey guy´s ouçam motorhead - sacrifice + drum solo (live).mpg
unbelievable..
youtube
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM
laauuurrrr laauuurrrr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alba Iulia
Posts: 8
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

@ucho the drummer in that video of Motorhead is Mickey Dee, not Tommy Aldridge. Aldridge played for their record "March or Die". Motorhead's original drummer, Phil Taylor, was fired because he did not learn the drum tracks for the song "I Ain't No Nice Guy" (with Ozzy and Slash). Tommy Aldridge recorded most of the material on the album, and Mikkey Dee recorded "Hellraiser", a song originally written by Lemmy for Ozzy Osbourne's No More Tears album.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Jeff Gordon #24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

TA is TA...TOTALLY AWESOME!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 AM
DSCRAPRE's Avatar
DSCRAPRE DSCRAPRE is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Packer Country
Posts: 762
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Criminally underrated. He did the high-speed, high-energy drum solos back when they were unique. And, to listen to his playing, he hasn't lost a thing over the years.
__________________


It's pronounced "Dee-Scrape-Ruh".

Proud owner of a Ludwig Acrolite
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,403
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Some vintage Tommy is coming to DVD this summer:

http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/f...mpidx/1/link/1

Quote:
On July 17, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release "Speak Of The Devil" on DVD by OZZY OSBOURNE in North America.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 a......The lineup for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

"Speak Of The Devil" track listing:

01. Over The Mountain
02. Mr Crowley
03. Crazy Train
04. Revelation (Mother Earth)
05. Steal Away (The Night)
06. Suicide Solution
07. Guitar / Drum Solo
08. Goodbye To Romance
09. I Don't Know
10. Believer
11. Flying High Again
12. Iron Man
13. Children Of The Grave
14. Paranoid
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Tommy Aldridge

Good classic stuff...Thanks for the hint!
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
feldiefeld feldiefeld is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 149
Default Tommy Aldridge Replaces Brian Tichy in Whitesnake

It's official.....TA has rejoined Whitesnake after Tichy's departure earlier this month.....read more at the link below...

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/dru...ns-whitesnake/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com