DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Feeling blue

So, I just told my boss that I was moving to NY and she started crying.... now I'm sad... I can't stop thinking about it... : (
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

the good news is that with time sadness usually passes. It may not be completely forgotten but it shoudn't be as strong as it initially is. If moving to New York will make you happy then you have to do what you have to do. Just make sure it's what you really want. Good luck
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: Feeling blue

pffft, you shouldnt be sad at all, NY is AMAZING. I was in atlanta for winter break and i got really fed up by it, the atmosphere is just not for me.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Why are you moving to NY?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

It is something I want really bad, it just sucks that I have to hurt people in order to get there. I know its not a good reason not to go though. Why are we moving?... Well we just got back from visiting, and I absolutely fell in love with the city! I loved everything about it.. the people, the food, the crowds, the small spaces, even the smelly subway stations. It probably won't be forever, maybe 2-3 years. I just feel like if I don't do it now, I'm going to look back at my life and regret it. I love my life here, and I love my job.. I just feel like there is something more... plus it will be amazing for my career to be able to be a hairstylist in NYC! I probably won't be able to take my drums though, so that sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Cool, I hope everything works out for you. I have never been to NYC but I would really like to visit someday.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Feeling blue

You must have been a valuable asset to the company you're leaving, so look at the bright side! It's nice to be loved.

I came so close to doing the same thing more than once - so congrats to you! You'll love it, it's a world in-and-of-itself. I dunno though - I'd have a very hard time leaving my drums behind. I don't think I'd live anywhere now where I couldn't play at least a little, everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Feeling blue

NYC is an amazing city...I too love it and wish I could go there again. I will always remember the time I visited there. Good luck to you...hope it all works out!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

I wanna visit Ray's Pizza! I always here so much about it. The ham, the pineapple and the ricotta cheese..... forget about it. I'm hungry now.:-)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I wanna visit Ray's Pizza! I always here so much about it. The ham, the pineapple and the ricotta cheese..... forget about it. I'm hungry now.:-)
You said it wrong...it's "fuggeddaboudiiiiiit!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
drummer girl09's Avatar
drummer girl09 drummer girl09 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern U.S.A
Posts: 272
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
It is something I want really bad, it just sucks that I have to hurt people in order to get there. I know its not a good reason not to go though. Why are we moving?... Well we just got back from visiting, and I absolutely fell in love with the city! I loved everything about it.. the people, the food, the crowds, the small spaces, even the smelly subway stations. It probably won't be forever, maybe 2-3 years. I just feel like if I don't do it now, I'm going to look back at my life and regret it. I love my life here, and I love my job.. I just feel like there is something more... plus it will be amazing for my career to be able to be a hairstylist in NYC! I probably won't be able to take my drums though, so that sucks.
Just get a really tiny kit, and muffle them really good for your apartment or what ever you are living in! Then you are good to go! That is what I would do at least. No fancy drum set, just enough to get the craving out.
__________________
Funnyman, you'll never be anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
You said it wrong...it's "fuggeddaboudiiiiiit!"
Ya, thats it! I couldn't figure out how to type it. Thanks buddy, I will always remember it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Hey, we went to Rays Pizza while we were there! It was sooo good! Yeah, I will have to figure something out with my drums, I need to have something to play on. Thanks everyone! I think I will feel better tomorrow, its just one of those things. I have been at that salon for six years, so its kinda bittersweet. I am excited though! I know its going to be hard, but I think it will be worth it. What do other people that live in apartments do about their sets? I just don''t think there will be much room with two other people and two dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
pffft, you shouldnt be sad at all, NY is AMAZING. I was in atlanta for winter break and i got really fed up by it, the atmosphere is just not for me.
I forgot to ask what "pffft" means?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
I forgot to ask what "pffft" means?
Quote from the Urban Dictionary (urbandictonary.com)

Pfft:

1. An expression of a lack of interest in another persons comment

2. Used to look down upon another

3. Fine, whatever, i dont care

4. An expression of dismissal of another's comment.

5. The sound of a silent and deadly rectal emission. <----- My favorite :-)

6. A noise you make when you are bored with something someone is saying

7. A forced exhalation of air which produces the noise pfft
done when you disagree with someone.

8. An expression of disgust, disdain or disapproval, usually uttered after someone has just told you something totally inane or uninteresting.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Ha Ha! Thanks That Guy!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 AM
jay norem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Feeling blue

Where are you looking to live in NY? I've been looking at places in Queens. I know a few musicians who live in Astoria and Jackson Heights. The prices aren't bad at all, and it's an easy ride into Manahattan. Well, relatively easy, considering.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Quote from the Urban Dictionary (urbandictonary.com)

Pfft:

1. An expression of a lack of interest in another persons comment

2. Used to look down upon another

3. Fine, whatever, i dont care

4. An expression of dismissal of another's comment.

5. The sound of a silent and deadly rectal emission. <----- My favorite :-)

6. A noise you make when you are bored with something someone is saying

7. A forced exhalation of air which produces the noise pfft
done when you disagree with someone.

8. An expression of disgust, disdain or disapproval, usually uttered after someone has just told you something totally inane or uninteresting.
well i didnt really mean it in a put-off kind of fashion, it was more of an expression of satirical confusion about your being sad by having to go to NYC, if that makes any sense. Cause, like i said, NYC is AMAZING! i had this italian place right next to our "peregrine" (house) we called it, it was called salvatores. Incredible, easily the best italian food i've ever had, ever. but then it went outta business, a sad day that was indeed.

ah, the memories of me stuffing my face in some nice ziti pizza
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

I live in Astoria and I can vouch for it being a nice area and still fairly reasonable price-wise. Manhattan is nice too if your money talks loud.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 AM
jay norem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
I live in Astoria and I can vouch for it being a nice area and still fairly reasonable price-wise. Manhattan is nice too if your money talks loud.
Yeah, Manhattan's great, but you've got to have some loud money baby!
When I went to music school there I had a studio apartment on the lower east side. The rent was $150 a month. This was in the late seventies. Today? Forget it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-13-2009, 02:59 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
ah, the memories of me stuffing my face in some nice ziti pizza
Ziti pizza? That sounds really interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 AM
jay norem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Ziti pizza? That sounds really interesting.
Ziti is a kind of pasta. I can't imagine that on a pizza.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Ziti is a kind of pasta. I can't imagine that on a pizza.
That was my thought exactly Jay! Ziti? Pizza? We learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Yeah, Manhattan's great, but you've got to have some loud money baby!
When I went to music school there I had a studio apartment on the lower east side. The rent was $150 a month. This was in the late seventies. Today? Forget it.
yeah, nowadays $150 won't even pay for the key. I'm born and raised in Manhattan but I live in Queens because the rents in Manhattan are ridiculous. Besides, I can get to midtown Manhattan in 20 minutes via subway. Not bad.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
yeah, nowadays $150 won't even pay for the key. I'm born and raised in Manhattan but I live in Queens because the rents in Manhattan are ridiculous. Besides, I can get to midtown Manhattan in 20 minutes via subway. Not bad.
I heard that many people who live in the city don't own cars. They can't afford it and they dont' need it. That sounds like my type of town.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...

Everytime I hear of someone speak of Queens I think of the movie Comming To America.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I heard that many people who live in the city don't own cars. They can't afford it and they dont' need it. That sounds like my type of town.
actually, there too many cars in Manhattan. I don't know if all those people who own them actually live there but man, way too many cars. I have never owned a car and don't care to. Mass transit can be a pain sometimes but it beats driving. Unless you have your own garage parking is always an issue. And the city loves to give tickets or tow, it's a thriving business. New York can be a blast but it's not for everyone.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
actually, there too many cars in Manhattan. I don't know if all those people who own them actually live there but man, way too many cars. I have never owned a car and don't care to. Mass transit can be a pain sometimes but it beats driving. Unless you have your own garage parking is always an issue. And the city loves to give tickets or tow, it's a thriving business. New York can be a blast but it's not for everyone.

Yes, thats what I have heard. I would really like to visit it someday. I hear so many wonderful stories.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...
Brooklyn can be nice in the right area. There's a commercial running on TV these days for apartments in the Flatbush section, I think 2 bedrooms go for about $1300.
Actually, here's the link- http://www.flatbushgardens.net/

I happen to like Queens a lot but I've never lived in Brooklyn so I can't compare.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
well i didnt really mean it in a put-off kind of fashion, it was more of an expression of satirical confusion about your being sad by having to go to NYC, if that makes any sense. Cause, like i said, NYC is AMAZING! i had this italian place right next to our "peregrine" (house) we called it, it was called salvatores. Incredible, easily the best italian food i've ever had, ever. but then it went outta business, a sad day that was indeed.

ah, the memories of me stuffing my face in some nice ziti pizza
Thats ok Groceryman, I didn't think you meant it like that. I'm not sad about moving there... I'm actually so happy that I find it hard to sleep at night. I was just sad that I made someone cry. By the way, I am hoping a nice italian family will adopt me when we get up there... mmm... homemade italian food : )
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Yes, thats what I have heard. I would really like to visit it someday. I hear so many wonderful stories.
if you want to catch some of the best musicians in the world then Manhattan is the place.
I just saw Dennis Chambers at a small club and was about 10 feet from him and next month I plan to catch Mr. Gadd at the same place. Now THAT'S sweet!
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
Brooklyn can be nice in the right area. There's a commercial running on TV these days for apartments in the Flatbush section, I think 2 bedrooms go for about $1300.
Actually, here's the link- http://www.flatbushgardens.net/

I happen to like Queens a lot but I've never lived in Brooklyn so I can't compare.
Thanks Baddstuff! 2 bedrooms is exactly what we need. Good price too!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

just do some research before making the move. get a New York subway map online so you can see the layout and how far places are from Manhattan.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 AM
jay norem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...
Brooklyn is almost the new Manhattan. And depending on where you live there, it can be a huge endeavor to get into the city. I'd say that your prospects are much better in Queens.
Now Brooklyn's great, I like it, but I'd have to go with Queens.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Ok thanks! We actually still have our subway map from when we were there. One more question... Do people have dogs there? We have two, and can't imagine not taking them. I actually just emailed that apartment place you gave me to see if they allow dogs. Am I getting my hopes up though?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 AM
kristen's Avatar
kristen kristen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 69
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Brooklyn is almost the new Manhattan. And depending on where you live there, it can be a huge endeavor to get into the city. I'd say that your prospects are much better in Queens.
Now Brooklyn's great, I like it, but I'd have to go with Queens.
Thanks Jay, thats good to know! I'm learning so much! Definetly makes this process easier. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
Ok thanks! We actually still have our subway map from when we were there. One more question... Do people have dogs there? We have two, and can't imagine not taking them. I actually just emailed that apartment place you gave me to see if they allow dogs. Am I getting my hopes up though?
some buildings allow them, some don't. you need to inquire
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,307
Default Re: Feeling blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen View Post
Question... We were thinking Brooklyn, but would Queens be better? I plan on commuting into the city (hopefully). Lets just say I've never even heard my money make a peep...
Brooklyn's more expensive than Queens.

General rule of thumb.. the further away you are from Manhattan, the cheaper the rent. E.g Brooklyn Heights, or Astoria are just across

the East river and therefore almost as expensive as Manhattan

Good news- the longest possible commute ( subway/trains ) from most neighborhoods in both Brooklyn & Queens is about 40 minutes to mid-town Manhattan.

Dont rule out New Jersey ( Jersey City, Union City ) which are equally easy commutes. If you have dogs, these might be your best bet.

Lots of dogs in NYC but its a lot more work.

Everything you hear about NYC is true.. except the stuff about New Yorkers.

There's no place in the world like it. Its the greatest city in the world. Stop feeling blue. Make the move.

Good luck.

Last edited by aydee; 01-13-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Derek Derek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So. California
Posts: 417
Default Re: Feeling blue

Sounds to me like you're moving for all of the right reasons. Don't let anyone make you feel blue about it.
Enjoy this time of your life.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com