DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
superporpoise superporpoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default My Allegra Kit v2!

Allegra is a custom drum company based in Portland, Oregon. They use Keller shells like most people, but do an intense finishing/lacquer process to make shells that I would argue are a step above the rest. They also make Ddrumís USA Custom Shop line. They (there's two guys) know a ton about drums and take a lot of pride in their work. If you live in or around Portland you owe it to yourself to check these guys out... I guarantee youíll be floored by how their drums sound. I live close to Truth Drums as well, and although I love Truth and think they make great kits, thereís a level of expertise and musicality that the guys at Allegra have that really shines through all the drums they produce.

Specs for my kit:

- 18x22 Bass Drum
- 13x14 Rack Tom
- 14x16 Floor Tom

Snare:

- 6.5x14 Aluminum Snare

This drum is bent by Allegra out of one piece of aluminum, and then welded and finished by them. You can barely see the point at which the weld was created, and that point is actually the strongest part of the drum. I believe this is similar to how how Trick makes their drums. The sound is huge. I like a loose, throaty snare drum, and if I tune this up moderately tight and then loosen one lug, I get that sound. I was never a fan of metal drums, but this thing changed my mind from the minute I heard it. I have wood hoops on it, which give it an awesome rimshot. The hoops are white with inlayed silver strands.

Cymbals:

- 14 inch Sabian HHX Legacy Hi-Hats
- 19 inch Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash
- 22 inch Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride

Hardware:

- 2 Tama Roadpro cymbal stands
- 2 Pearl S2000 snare stands
- Tama Iron Cobra bass drum pedal
- Tama Iron Cobra lever-glide hi-hat

Everything is pretty much how I want. I might replace the hi-hats with some Zildjians eventually, but so far I havenít found any that I like as much as these Sabians. This set sounds amazing, though, and (in my humble opinion) looks just as good.

I also have a 9x12 tom that Iím not currently using, and both a Sabian HHX Evolution 18 inch crash, and a Sabian HHX Evolution 10 inch splash. Iím trying to sell both of those cymbals, so let me know if youíre interested.

Thanks for looking!















Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Bram Bram is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 420
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Nice set, what type of wood is it??
That snare must sound very good, I am thinking of a 10" aluminium snare :)

Bram
__________________
My drumset
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
mugglesport mugglesport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 68
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Beautiful! That looks like a perfect set. That rack tom looks huge!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
stasz's Avatar
stasz stasz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois, US
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

That tom is deeeeep!!! Cool. I like the little finish inlay on the lugs that matches the drums. Nice choice in cymbals. That K dark medium fits into lots of musical situations.
__________________
"If you think you're more important than the drums, you've got another thing coming." -Tony Williams
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,166
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesport View Post
That rack tom looks huge!!
Looks....that rack tom IS huge. Very impressive. Beauty of a snare.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Hey, a fellow Portland native! It seems we're on opposite sides of the river, though.

Dave is a super-gifted guy when it comes to making drums. I've hung out at the factory a couple of times and learned a bunch about drum specs and how they impact sound. Their drums are top-notch as far as Keller-using custom drum companies go. Second only to Spaun in my opinion. If I was looking for a custom jazz kit, I would not hesitate to buy from Allegra. They take the keller shells and do some kind of magic on them to make them sound like "jazz drums".

Nice kit! Why is this thread titled "v2"? Do you have another Allegra kit?

Do you play in any local bands?
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,376
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

14 x 13 rack tom is one inch away from being a floor tom. Love the sparkle. Do they have a web site?? Very nice.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Do they have a web site??
http://www.allegradrums.com/
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 PM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Their drums are top-notch as far as Keller-using custom drum companies go.
It's so refreshing to hear someone that makes that statement when talking about so-called "custom" drum builders.

Kuddos to you man......I wish more people realized this
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Phew! That's one serious rack tom! That's a beautiful kit and the snare is nothing to sneeze at either. Post some sounds!

I like the lugs, do they machine their own?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post

I like the lugs, do they machine their own?
They don't machine them at the shop, but they have someone off-site custom machine them. They are really nice lugs, actually. On their smaller snares, the lug is just a little deeper and there's a hole and a wingnut to mount it on a post--no need for big, ugly mounts!
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Solaris's Avatar
Solaris Solaris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 974
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

That 14" rack is an inch deeper than my 14" floor... that's some serious stuff.

I love how the finish is continued onto the lugs as well, I've never seen that done before.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
superporpoise superporpoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Nice set, what type of wood is it??
That snare must sound very good, I am thinking of a 10" aluminium snare :)

Bram
Maple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasz
That K dark medium fits into lots of musical situations.
I agree! I love it... it's a great ride and also crashable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus
Hey, a fellow Portland native! It seems we're on opposite sides of the river, though.

Dave is a super-gifted guy when it comes to making drums. I've hung out at the factory a couple of times and learned a bunch about drum specs and how they impact sound. Their drums are top-notch as far as Keller-using custom drum companies go. Second only to Spaun in my opinion. If I was looking for a custom jazz kit, I would not hesitate to buy from Allegra. They take the keller shells and do some kind of magic on them to make them sound like "jazz drums".

Nice kit! Why is this thread titled "v2"? Do you have another Allegra kit?

Do you play in any local bands?
I actually live in Beaverton... so we might be on the same side.

Dave is great! And the thread is called v2 because a lot of the stuff that is different is upgrades that I just did...

I play in a worship band with a guy named Mike Hohnholz (www.myspace.com/mikehohnholz), and I'm working on a couple other things with some friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris
That 14" rack is an inch deeper than my 14" floor... that's some serious stuff.
Haha... it was a floor tom, but I took off the floor tom lugs and put on regular ones. It's pretty massive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 PM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
It's so refreshing to hear someone that makes that statement when talking about so-called "custom" drum builders.

Kuddos to you man......I wish more people realized this
I wish a lot more people realized how much of a crap statement this is. Yes there are a lot of people who use keller shells, and even get their hardware from the same suppliers (worldmax is very popular) but the so called custom drums are in fact custom...

many builders offer special bearing edges which dramatically change the sound out of a drum. Your cookie cookie cutter companies only offer the standard double 45 or 30 degree edge. ( pork pie drums are famous for their bearing edges )

The finish is also another huge factor when it comes to custom drums. Many builders are doing very cool things with custom finishes that you can not get anywhere else. (check out raven custom drums especially the unkindness series they are works of art but then maybe they are not doing anything special because he uses keller shells...)

These ho hum keller companies also offer many different way of finishing the wood. It is practically impossible to get a drum from a major company that is finished in something other than a matte or lacquer finish. Every small keller company I know of offers a large variety of finishes such as, lacquers, polyurethanes, and oils....but then again maybe a hand rubbed one of a kind oil finished shell doesn't count as custom...because kellers are everywhere

I like the interiors of my drums to be sealed with the exception of gretsch I don't know many major companies that do that either.

I am sure that companies that make their own shells offer a lot the things I mentioned but there is a lot more that goes into "custom drums" other then the shell...

BTW nice kit. Defiantly a rocker! It is really nice to see an Allegra kit. I thought they shutdown a few years ago...
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 PM
superporpoise superporpoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I wish a lot more people realized how much of a crap statement this is. Yes there are a lot of people who use keller shells, and even get their hardware from the same suppliers (worldmax is very popular) but the so called custom drums are in fact custom...

many builders offer special bearing edges which dramatically change the sound out of a drum. Your cookie cookie cutter companies only offer the standard double 45 or 30 degree edge. ( pork pie drums are famous for their bearing edges )

The finish is also another huge factor when it comes to custom drums. Many builders are doing very cool things with custom finishes that you can not get anywhere else. (check out raven custom drums especially the unkindness series they are works of art but then maybe they are not doing anything special because he uses keller shells...)

These ho hum keller companies also offer many different way of finishing the wood. It is practically impossible to get a drum from a major company that is finished in something other than a matte or lacquer finish. Every small keller company I know of offers a large variety of finishes such as, lacquers, polyurethanes, and oils....but then again maybe a hand rubbed one of a kind oil finished shell doesn't count as custom...because kellers are everywhere

I like the interiors of my drums to be sealed with the exception of gretsch I don't know many major companies that do that either.

I am sure that companies that make their own shells offer a lot the things I mentioned but there is a lot more that goes into "custom drums" other then the shell...

BTW nice kit. Defiantly a rocker! It is really nice to see an Allegra kit. I thought they shutdown a few years ago...
They're actually doing great... they're making 100 Vinnie Paul kits for Ddrum right now, as well as finishing up an awesome kit for NAMM... plus their normal orders and all of Ddrums USA Custom line.

As far as the custom drum things go... most custom drum kits, keller or not, are going to sound, with equal tuning and sizes and heads, etc., pretty much the same mic'd up front of a big crowd. So for me I wanted to look for kits that sounded amazing unmic'd and acoustic, and Allegra was really the top sounding that I found. Perhaps their Keller shells aren't as exotic as some stave shells or shells made in-house, but whatever combination of bearing edges and lacquer they use makes them sound pretty dang good unmic'd. And since (from MY experience) almost all high-quality kits sound amazing if you have a good sound guy and mics and system, and since I always play mic'd up, I wanted to go with people who were knowledgeable, local, and who love and take pride in their drums... and who could accommodate exactly what I wanted.

The aluminum snare, however, IS one of the best snares I have ever heard, both mic'd and not. It's crazy... if you're in Portland, you owe it to yourself to go check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
JoseZ JoseZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 43
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

great looking kit!

thing that i dislike is the dimension of the rack... but if it's ok to you...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 AM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
It's so refreshing to hear someone that makes that statement when talking about so-called "custom" drum builders.

Kuddos to you man......I wish more people realized this
Hey, I wasn't knocking Keller-using custom drum companies. They use Keller shells because they're well-made and easy to work with. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive. They're the industry standard, basically. When a custom drum company puts together a sweet kit with a sweet finish, they don't want to use shells that will sound bad. They are trying to establish themselves as a name people will associate with good-quality drums. If they put out inferior products, how are they going to sell kits? The "custom" part comes from what they do to the shells (cutting edges, size combinations, cool finishes, their hardware, etc...).

Some custom companies will even make drums with their name on it from different reputable shell manufacturers (like Vaughncraft, for example). Saying that a company that uses Keller shells isn't a "custom" drum company is like saying companies that chrome their hardware aren't "custom". It's been done before, and it's being done again because it works...
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I wish a lot more people realized how much of a crap statement this is. Yes there are a lot of people who use keller shells, and even get their hardware from the same suppliers (worldmax is very popular) but the so called custom drums are in fact custom...

many builders offer special bearing edges which dramatically change the sound out of a drum. Your cookie cookie cutter companies only offer the standard double 45 or 30 degree edge. ( pork pie drums are famous for their bearing edges )

The finish is also another huge factor when it comes to custom drums. Many builders are doing very cool things with custom finishes that you can not get anywhere else. (check out raven custom drums especially the unkindness series they are works of art but then maybe they are not doing anything special because he uses keller shells...)

These ho hum keller companies also offer many different way of finishing the wood. It is practically impossible to get a drum from a major company that is finished in something other than a matte or lacquer finish. Every small keller company I know of offers a large variety of finishes such as, lacquers, polyurethanes, and oils....but then again maybe a hand rubbed one of a kind oil finished shell doesn't count as custom...because kellers are everywhere

I like the interiors of my drums to be sealed with the exception of gretsch I don't know many major companies that do that either.

I am sure that companies that make their own shells offer a lot the things I mentioned but there is a lot more that goes into "custom drums" other then the shell...

BTW nice kit. Defiantly a rocker! It is really nice to see an Allegra kit. I thought they shutdown a few years ago...
What a minute I never intended to take away from Allegra or any other company using Keller. You are 100% correct in that the finish is extremely time consuming and skill is required. And yes edges are important to.

Now with that said I have built many drums myself..am I a custom builder...of course not
To me custom is not shells, lugs, hardware that is off the shelf. Stating edges are a custom thing...really..... you can get whatever edge you want when you buy a shell.

The term "custom assembly" would be more appropriate. Sure buying shells and doing it yourself isn't for everyone, but let's scale back the "custom" term a little....that's all I was trying to point out.

It boils down to mine definition and your definition of custom....we choose to disagree. Unix and Rythm King are custom IMO. Raven is not aside from the finishes.

Last edited by PlaysforFun; 01-08-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Hey, I wasn't knocking Keller-using custom drum companies. They use Keller shells because they're well-made and easy to work with. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive. They're the industry standard, basically. When a custom drum company puts together a sweet kit with a sweet finish, they don't want to use shells that will sound bad. They are trying to establish themselves as a name people will associate with good-quality drums. If they put out inferior products, how are they going to sell kits? The "custom" part comes from what they do to the shells (cutting edges, size combinations, cool finishes, their hardware, etc...).

Some custom companies will even make drums with their name on it from different reputable shell manufacturers (like Vaughncraft, for example). Saying that a company that uses Keller shells isn't a "custom" drum company is like saying companies that chrome their hardware aren't "custom". It's been done before, and it's being done again because it works...
again my definition and yours are just different....no disrespect intended for Allegra. They do put out finishes that I couldn't dream of doing, and I have tried to do many.

My statement was taking way out of context....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
It's so refreshing to hear someone that makes that statement when talking about so-called "custom" drum builders.

Kuddos to you man......I wish more people realized this
My personal opinion is that you are being a tad snobbish. I mean if you think about it a hot rod builder might start off with the shell of a ford or a chevy. Does that mean the end result is not a custom car? I don't think so.

As for the kit, man that's ridiculous dude! My only slight reservation would be about the fact that your rack tom does seem to be on a slightly different scale to the kick and floor. Of course i can see that you were probably going for a bit closer in terms of tuning between your rack and the floor and that's the good thing about custom drums- they're made for what you want.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-08-2009, 01:16 AM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
My personal opinion is that you are being a tad snobbish. I mean if you think about it a hot rod builder might start off with the shell of a ford or a chevy. Does that mean the end result is not a custom car? I don't think so.

As for the kit, man that's ridiculous dude! My only slight reservation would be about the fact that your rack tom does seem to be on a slightly different scale to the kick and floor. Of course i can see that you were probably going for a bit closer in terms of tuning between your rack and the floor and that's the good thing about custom drums- they're made for what you want.
Snobbish....come on man are you serious?
Like I said I have assembled many, many, drums with wraps and stains....any company that buys off the shelf hardware, shells...etc. isn't custom. If you can buy shells pre-drilled with the same hardware that is being used by some "custom" builders and put it together why on earth would you say that the company is custom...just doesn't make sense. The only thing your paying for in that instance is the finish...period. Is a nice finish worth the money being dropped on some of these kits? No way in hell it is. We mainly play drums for the sound do we not? With finish being second.

It's funny....feathers sure get ruffled when someone doesn't agree with the masses around here.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 AM
superporpoise superporpoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
Snobbish....come on man are you serious?
Like I said I have assembled many, many, drums with wraps and stains....any company that buys off the shelf hardware, shells...etc. isn't custom. If you can buy shells pre-drilled with the same hardware that is being used by some "custom" builders and put it together why on earth would you say that the company is custom...just doesn't make sense. The only thing your paying for in that instance is the finish...period. Is a nice finish worth the money being dropped on some of these kits? No way in hell it is. We mainly play drums for the sound do we not? With finish being second.

It's funny....feathers sure get ruffled when someone doesn't agree with the masses around here.
While I totally understand what you're saying, there's a difference between you and a guy such as Dave Peterson who has been building drums as a profession for over 30 years. If you get to make drums for Ddrum's USA Custom Shop line, and for people such as Mike Marsh and Vinnie Paul and Mel Brown, you're more than just an everyday hobbyist assembler, and you're obviously doing something pretty well.

That said, if you can build your own kits and get the sound and finish you want for a price way less than Allegra charges, that's awesome, and I'm envious.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
Snobbish....come on man are you serious?
Like I said I have assembled many, many, drums with wraps and stains....any company that buys off the shelf hardware, shells...etc. isn't custom. If you can buy shells pre-drilled with the same hardware that is being used by some "custom" builders and put it together why on earth would you say that the company is custom...just doesn't make sense. The only thing your paying for in that instance is the finish...period. Is a nice finish worth the money being dropped on some of these kits? No way in hell it is. We mainly play drums for the sound do we not? With finish being second.

It's funny....feathers sure get ruffled when someone doesn't agree with the masses around here.
Yes i AM being serious i mean what is it with some people on this website who seem to think that their stave shells or steambent or whatever are somehow superior to everyone elses? Great you can assemble your own drums but as i said it's just the shells i mean everything else is all custom and therefore they must be custom drums. I'm sure this guy could build his own shells if he wanted but he doesn't because he knows that keller shells are very experienced at what they do.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Yes i AM being serious i mean what is it with some people on this website who seem to think that their stave shells or steambent or whatever are somehow superior to everyone elses? Great you can assemble your own drums but as i said it's just the shells i mean everything else is all custom and therefore they must be custom drums. I'm sure this guy could build his own shells if he wanted but he doesn't because he knows that keller shells are very experienced at what they do.
Please, Please tell me your not trying to put keller builders in the same catagory as true custom builders such as Unix, and Rythmn King or even Highwood that makes their own conventional shells.

....you have your opinion and I have mine.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
Please, Please tell me your not trying to put keller builders in the same catagory as true custom builders such as Unix, and Rythmn King or even Highwood that makes their own conventional shells.

....you have your opinion and I have mine.
Maybe not but they're still custom drums nonetheless i think. Funny you should mention highwood actually because they're based right up here in yorkshire where i live and i'm gonna build myself some drums using their parts and some of the stuff they make is pretty astounding.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
TenPastTen's Avatar
TenPastTen TenPastTen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katrina's Wake
Posts: 636
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Very cool looking drums. I think it's awesome to have a kit built to your own specs. Like Stasz said, I dig the matching lug inlays.

I hope you're cool with the custom v. keller debate, because we just witnessed a clinic in thread-jacking.
__________________

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysforFun View Post
Please, Please tell me your not trying to put keller builders in the same catagory as true custom builders such as Unix, and Rythmn King or even Highwood that makes their own conventional shells.

....you have your opinion and I have mine.
for a little extra dough you can pay keller to make exotic shells, they are a ply drum shell company, but that doesn't really make them any lesser any other. Some people do not like the sound of stave/segmented shells. Ply shells are the industry standard, I don't see any big name companies using ply or segmented shells. If they are so much better why hasn't tama, pearl, gretsch, mapex, or any other big name brand jumped on the bandwagon yet...
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
dom's Avatar
dom dom is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hutchinson
Posts: 960
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superporpoise View Post
They're actually doing great... they're making 100 Vinnie Paul kits for Ddrum right now, as well as finishing up an awesome kit for NAMM... plus their normal orders and all of Ddrums USA Custom line.

As far as the custom drum things go... most custom drum kits, keller or not, are going to sound, with equal tuning and sizes and heads, etc., pretty much the same mic'd up front of a big crowd. So for me I wanted to look for kits that sounded amazing unmic'd and acoustic, and Allegra was really the top sounding that I found. Perhaps their Keller shells aren't as exotic as some stave shells or shells made in-house, but whatever combination of bearing edges and lacquer they use makes them sound pretty dang good unmic'd. And since (from MY experience) almost all high-quality kits sound amazing if you have a good sound guy and mics and system, and since I always play mic'd up, I wanted to go with people who were knowledgeable, local, and who love and take pride in their drums... and who could accommodate exactly what I wanted.

The aluminum snare, however, IS one of the best snares I have ever heard, both mic'd and not. It's crazy... if you're in Portland, you owe it to yourself to go check them out.
I forgot that they stated to work with Ddrum, I remember reading about that now. I always loved the look of the lugs those guys use. That is one hell of a set you got. Congrats for supporting your local builder!
__________________
www.ghostnote.net
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Oh man, now that kit there looks classy in every sense of the word, like a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow with a thick coat of carnuba wax! Those lugs are awesome, somehow they pull off the high mass look without looking too bulky (I'm not a fan of DW lugs). I like the 8 lugs on the 13 rack, it makes it look so HUGE!!!!!
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Oh man, now that kit there looks classy in every sense of the word, like a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow with a thick coat of carnuba wax! Those lugs are awesome, somehow they pull off the high mass look without looking too bulky (I'm not a fan of DW lugs). I like the 8 lugs on the 13 rack, it makes it look so HUGE!!!!!
it's a 14" rack. For some reason some people seem to put the depth before the diamiter of the drum.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
it's a 14" rack. For some reason some people seem to put the depth before the diamiter of the drum.
Yeah, some people, like half of the planet. You know, there's some country out there that still hasn't adopted the metric system as their primary means of measurement? I don't get them...
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:12 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Yeah, some people, like half of the planet. You know, there's some country out there that still hasn't adopted the metric system as their primary means of measurement? I don't get them...
Hey we're more metric then you guys! Personally i find it really annoying. The only reason we don't use it is because everyone thinks we invented it when in actual fact we didn't, it came from all the invading armies of our country and sort of came together here in England.

But seriously i mean it just makes a lot more sense to me that you'd put the diamiter before the depth, i mean it's a drum, you hit the circle shaped bit, not the side so why does everyone seem to put more emphasis on that?
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,582
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Hey we're more metric then you guys!
Yeah, I was slamming my own country's system...

Hmm...it's been a few posts since somebody stayed on topic. Sweet kit still, man! Love the sparkle! Love the lugs! Allegra kicks booty!
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
it's a 14" rack. For some reason some people seem to put the depth before the diamiter of the drum.

Oh sorry man, i was talking about the DEPTH not the diameter. Sheesh why would you think i was talking about that??
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM
superporpoise superporpoise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Interesting discussions! Thanks for the comments everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: My Allegra Kit v2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Oh sorry man, i was talking about the DEPTH not the diameter. Sheesh why would you think i was talking about that??
Well erm, maybe because about 98% of all 14" toms in the world have 8 lugs? If your being sarcastic though it doesn't really come up very well on the internet. That's what smilies are for :)
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com