DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Default GPlus opinions?

i've got Oak Customs and don't like the coated G1s (sounds too thin for me) or clear EC2s (kills too much sustain for me), but i do like coated G2s (nice depth and sustain IMO).

in effort to try out another head option besides the coated G2s, what are your opinions on the coated or clear GPlus batters on toms?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM

Default Re: GPlus opinions?

Are you diehard for Evans heads?
Because Remo makes some nice coated heads that you might like.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Pioneer Member

I mounted some clear G plus batters on my toms a few months ago and liked them a lot.

The kit is a DW VLT. The heads are very bright sounding compared to a coated G2.

The heads tuned up quickly and show very little signs of wear. Great heads IMHO.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyakaspanky View Post
Are you diehard for Evans heads?
Because Remo makes some nice coated heads that you might like.
not attached to Evans really...what Remos are you talking about besides what i've mentioned (i like the Emperors)?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

I have G-Pluses on my mounted toms and like them alot. Very punchy, resonant, but no ringing like G-1's. No deadness or choking like double plies, that's why I like them. They are still a bit too thin for a 16x16, and on a 14x14, it's debatable, but they still sound better than G-1's.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

There have been several threads on this. Here's a couple:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43616

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44499

Here's my take from one of them:

Quote:
The G-plus is a thicker (12mil) single-ply head. Because it is thicker it has greater sustain than the G1, which is thinner, and considerably more than a G2, which is 2-ply.

Durability has more to do with stick angles, tip shape, and the relative sanity of the drummer than the thickness or number of plies. My kid is the hardest hitter I've ever heard (no sh!t) and he never dents his single-ply heads. Ever.

They sound nice, about you would expect from a thicker G1: a bit fatter, denser, more sustain. I've actually been using a couple as resos on my kid's kit. With the tuning we have on his 8-10-12-14f-16f the 8 and 10 didn't sustain as long as the other drums. With the G-plus resos they match up much better. If you have a drum that at its preferred tuning doesn't match the sustain of your other drums, this is a great way to even things up.

Be advised that the "coated" version of the G-plus is the Evans frosty "coating," not a real sprayed-on coating. To my ear the Evans frosty finish sounds like ass, more plasticky attack and no useful improvement in tone. Ugh. Stick with clears.

If Evans ever offered the G-plus with a real coating I'd be all over them as batters.
If you want a "thicker" sound than coated G1s and more sustain than EC2s, the G1s might be good for you. But also check out the EC1s, which have great sustain yet few high overtones. I have them on the kid's (rock) kit and they sound great. Clears only, though, in both cases. Why not try one of each on one tom, say a 12"? That way you'll get a good idea of how they sound without springing for a whole kit's worth.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM

I don't know...I just put the G Pluses on my kit - I've pretty much always used G2s on top and G1s on the bottom and thought I'd try these.... and my first reaction was horror! I mean, as I was tuning them up all I could hear was the 'plastic' sounding attack with not much tone but as I tweaked them the tone opened up a bit but they still sound like plastic - at least from behind the kit. I have yet to use these on a gig (next show is Feb 5th) so don't know yet how they sound out front. The band is getting together in a week or so to do some writing and I'm not going to tell them that I changed heads so I'll see if they notice enough to make any comments. I will have some G2s at the ready just in case though!