DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Cheapo Electronic Kit

So I'm thinking about maybe getting a cheapo electronic kit so I can do some silent practice. I practice with my band most weeks and so I never really have time to set my acoustic kit at home in between practices. So I'm thinking a cheap electronic kit may be the answer.

Now, I'm certainly not looking at anything very expensive like the Yamaha or Roland sets, I just need something where I can practice a few ideas and sharpen up a little bit before practicing with the rest of the band. I don't really need anything to play live but I would like something with fairly realistic tones and sounds. I see there are quite a few cheap electronic 'no brand' kits out there but I also realise that they will probably also be a pile of poo.

So, does anyone have experience with some of the cheap electronic sets and can maybe recommend me something that isn't a complete bag of dogs doo that will do me a job. By cheap I mean something that is less than 500 (I'm in the UK) and it would be nice if I could get something around the 300-400 mark.

What about the Millenium sets? They are quite cheap but seem maybe a bit better than the other mega cheapo 'no branders'?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cheapo Electronic Kit

I would stay away from all the no-name brands. Put your cash into a used Yamaha or Roland. Plenty of lower tier used rigs out there.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

I bought a Yamaha DTXpress II off of ebay for $400 a few years ago in great shape. It even came with an extra cymbal pad. Keep your eyes open, you may find a killer deal on ebay or craiglist or something like that.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM

I just got a killer deal on a Simmons SD7K for $300 which was half off because Guitar Center was moving to a new location, so I got lucky and couldn't be much happier.

Like HarryConway said, I would have bought a Yamaha or a Roland like my Dad has, BUT I didn't want to spend a lot of money and I'm still quite the beginner and just want to learn to play better. I quit playing a year and a half ago because I needed my own set, couldn't play an acoustic set at an apartment, and didn't have the cash for an electronic.

But prices have really come down and for my personal needs, I'm very happy with the Simmons. I know for sure many here will say the Simmons sound sucks, yada, yada. But again, I just need to play and I can upgrade later on. Actually, I looked at the price of buying just a Roland SD3 module and it's only about $350, so I could probably just slap that on and away I go. The SD7K kit (pads, triggers, rack) build quality seems pretty solid to me. Would I do a gig with it (if I was good enough - which I'm not)? No, but for home practice in my condo, I'm very happy for the money and very stoked just to be able to play again and I have fun with it!

Good luck and don't worry about spending top dollar - unless you can afford it.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 AM

ONLY GO WITH YAMAHA OR ROLAND!
You can get a cheap Yamaha for like 300-400 dollars. Look around
Old 04-07-2008, 04:28 AM

Good luck finding a Roland or Yamaha for $300 that doesn't have something missing or wrong with it. For the money, the Simmons SD7K kit is an awesome deal. I think it really depends on what your needs are and where you're at skill level wise.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM

In my case, I had a Pearl EX set that, well frankly, intimidated me, scared the bejeezus out of out 2 Chihuahuas and generally irritated family and neighbors alike. But... I had $85 in the thing. It was one of those rare, on off kind of deals (legitimate too), but nevertheless, unuseable for me.

See the thing is, I play bass. And I enjoy watching and working with drummers. In fact, sos much so, that I have frequently entertained the idea that I might like to learn some basic drumming. It seems logical that it should / could help me to become a better bassist. But... I wound up with a very nice Pearl kit that I just couldn't use.

Originally, I wanted an iniexpensive electric kit, but quickly discovered that I would need at least $700 - $1,000 for a decent entry level kit. Bummer. Now I don't know about you, but my income has to support a home, family, transportation and a host of other things. So coughing up $700 - $1,000 was something that was only going to take place if I sold something for the money, or traded.

So... last week, I was able to sell the Pearl EX kit for $600 and after hunting, researching and generally spending way too much time trying figure out if I should chance a used set or go new. In the end, I got Guitar Center to match an ebay deal on an Alesis DM5 Pro kit that included a bass pedal, throne, sticks and headphones for $599 (including tax). They said it would take about 2 weeks to get the Alesis as they were out and would need to order it. So I asked them to give me the same deal, but on a Simmons SD7K kit and they agreed.

So my adventure in electronic drums began. Unpacking was simple, everthing was there, the instructions were simple to follow and setup was relatively easy. Turned it on and everything worked. Plugged it into my bass amp and I was pretty impressed with the quality of the sound. Performance grade sound? Not really, but certainly good enough for me to learn on.

Like most electronic effects and instruments I've tried, there were a lot more sounds and features than I have a need for. Some sounds were pretty cheesy and others were pretty nice. Expandability is limited, but I don't need this, as I only learning basic drumming. Having MIDI in / out and USB is certainly nice, as was a dual zone snare and the variable open hi-hat. The Alesis had neight the dual zone snare or variable open hi-hat.

Bottom line, is that I have observed that there seems to be a general stance of "only buy Roland and Yamaha or you'll be sorry". But, I must say that I disagree that applies to my needs and I suspect the needs of at least some others.

Some people will not be performing or recording.
Some people just want to learn some basics.
More importantly, some poeple have a (finite) budget that cannot be exceeded.
Some people want the assurance of a new product with a warranty.

For these poeple, the inexpensive, entry level kit *might* be a good fit. In my case, this was true.

Humbly,

Dutch
Old 01-03-2009, 06:08 PM

I have an Alesis DM5 Pro, got it for 330 and i think its great but i have nothing to compare it to as i have never used an electronic kit other than the DM5 Pro.

http://www.alesis.com/prokit