DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default gretsch renowns!!!

I just scored these off ebay. $830 after shipping for 22" kick and 3 toms!!!! Couldn't be more happy. After these ship, every drum and all but one cymbal on my kit are ones that I bought used. I can't stress the advantages of buying used gear. I only get to open them at christmas so expect an updated thread early next year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180303826293

Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Re: gretsch renowns!!!

Very nice. But no floor tom?? Is that 8, 10, 12 or 10 , 12, hanging 14.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Very nice. But no floor tom?? Is that 8, 10, 12 or 10 , 12, hanging 14.
Auction stated 10,12,14 - maybe he already has a floor 16?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Went to ebay an ad was taken down.

Upon further review scrolling down works well. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Ok.

I'm jealous right now.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I is be very jealous.

looks amazing.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Went to ebay an ad was taken down.

Upon further review scrolling down works well. Thanks.
Yeah, it's a 10, 12, 14 setup all on RIMS mounts. The seller says this finish is hard to find so it might be tough to find a matching 16 but for now I'm very happy with three toms. I also was surprised to not find a virgin bass, but it doesn't really matter to me, and of course on the bright side I don't have to buy any clamps for the rack toms.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

So about how I was only going to open them at christmas... well, I had to open them to make sure they weren't damaged anyway so my parents decided to let me go ahead and set them up. Somehow I think they were a little excited to see them set up too.

Anyway here they are set up... just spent all morning getting everything just right and adjusted and doing some tuning. My first impression is WOW-- these drums are great. I can't complain about anything. The hardware that was shipped is all great, they look beautiful and they sound as good as they look. I have already discovered (almost by accident) that the toms have pretty wide tuning ranges, at least compared to my old set. The seller thankfully had already replaced the heads (according to the ebay page about 6 months ago) and they're in pretty good condition. The kick sounds sexy and the toms are big and warm especially for their sizes. I'm very satisfied with the kit. Without further ado...

Gretsch Renown Maple

22 x 18- Aquarian SKII clear w/ remo white falam slam/Black gretsch logo front head
8 x 10- Evans EC2 clear/Evans G1 clear
9 x 12- "
14 x 14- "
5 x 14 Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite snare- Remo coated amb/SS clear amb

Cymbals

Paiste Giant Beat 14" Hi hats
Paiste 5o5 20" Ride
Paiste Traditionals 20" Medium ride
Sabian Aaxplosion 20" crash

Flying dragon kick pedal, assorted hardware, vic firth sticks

Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That's a pretty nice set you've managed to get yourself there! Setting up new gear for the first time is always exciting. And slow, but mainly exciting.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Setting up new gear for the first time is always exciting. And slow, but mainly exciting.
No kidding. And I've barely even started. Alternate tunings, adjusting everything over time, deciding if I want to use all three toms.... I also had this crazy idea that I might try setting up the 14" as a bass drum sometime, maybe if I pick up a powerstroke 3 for the batter. Soon (meaning when I have money) I'll probably throw new heads on all the batters.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 AM

realy very nice... love it...

Philippe
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 AM

Wow,

I was suprised to see my kit on this site. I guess I sold them to you on ebay. You will love this kit. Enjoy!
Alan
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 AM

I sold the 16x16 the week before. It did not come with the kit when I purchased it. It was an add on, Sold ot for $400.00 and got all my money and then some.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera1962 View Post
Wow,

I was suprised to see my kit on this site. I guess I sold them to you on ebay. You will love this kit. Enjoy!
Alan
Hahaha! That was unexpected. I guess this is as good a time as any to thank you for doing such a great job taking care of them as well as packing them (of course I'll add to your feedback page on eBay as well). I see you're definitely not in need of this kit with your beautiful ddrums! Wow on that 16" floor sale. You sold it for half of what I paid for the rest of the kit!! Just wondering, did the kit come with a matching snare? If so did you sell it as well? Unfortunately I'm in no position to buy anything right now but I'm just curious. As long as I'm asking... what year did you buy the kit? Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Hey,

I purchased the kit new 1.5 years ago. As with all my gear I try to keep them in excellent condition. The set did come with a matching snare drum in which I decided to keep. You can see a few of my current and pasted kits on my website. www.awdrums.com
You did a nice job with the setup.
take care
aw
Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
No kidding. And I've barely even started. Alternate tunings, adjusting everything over time, deciding if I want to use all three toms.... I also had this crazy idea that I might try setting up the 14" as a bass drum sometime, maybe if I pick up a powerstroke 3 for the batter. Soon (meaning when I have money) I'll probably throw new heads on all the batters.
I've done the 14" bass drum thing and it's definitely worth a try. Use the mounts in an inverted position to get the drum into place and use the cymbal stand legs as the stop for the pedal. Works wonders and seeing as it's a 14", you're not going to be laying into the bass drum because it'll choke if you do - hence why the cymbal stand legs are enough.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Great buy, YE0M.. that's one of my favorite drum kits.. A great sounding kit at a great price. Look the finish too. Try G2 clears on the toms when you think of changing heads..
just a thought.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the Renown Club. You did a great job on the price and they look amazing set up. If you really need it keep an eye open for the 16 inch tom.. My set is 8, 10, 12, 14 and have it tuned pretty low so you may not need it. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 11-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Congrats on the great kit! I think it's pretty cool that you and the seller are both at DW so he can see that his babies have gone to a good home. Maybe you can send pictures to him once a month, you know, Sally Struthers style!

I really dig the color; I am also a big fan of the 10,12,14 setup. And I eventually added a 16" tom to add the deep tone. I found I can tune my stuff pretty low (with a nice pitch bend) and being that the Renowns are such high quality, I'm sure the tuning range can take them as low as you may want.

Now that your quality control inspection has been concluded, you must pack those things up so they can be put under the Christmas tree - just be sure not to drip any tears on the finish in the process.

BTW, what's the fate of your USA Customs?

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Lucky Duck. I really want a Renown. Im heavily considering selling my session and purchasing a Renown. But $830 is a ridiculous price. Congrats.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkera1962 View Post
Hey,

I purchased the kit new 1.5 years ago. As with all my gear I try to keep them in excellent condition. The set did come with a matching snare drum in which I decided to keep. You can see a few of my current and pasted kits on my website. www.awdrums.com
You did a nice job with the setup.
take care
aw
Thanks, wow you have some impressive setups! Amazing playing, too.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 AM

Extremely classy kit! Paistes FTW! =D
Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

I just noticed your new sticks. Nice of you to branch off of Vic Firth for some Vater "Luke Skywalker" Signature Models. Very nice.
Attached Images

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Yeah, it's a 10, 12, 14 setup all on RIMS mounts. The seller says this finish is hard to find so it might be tough to find a matching 16 but for now I'm very happy with three toms. I also was surprised to not find a virgin bass, but it doesn't really matter to me, and of course on the bright side I don't have to buy any clamps for the rack toms.
incredible looking kit, i have a question- how versatile is it, configuration wise? for instance, how easily can a rack tom be mounted on a cymbal stand? it looks like it's totally do-able, i'd just like to get your take on it, cheers
Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
incredible looking kit, i have a question- how versatile is it, configuration wise? for instance, how easily can a rack tom be mounted on a cymbal stand? it looks like it's totally do-able, i'd just like to get your take on it, cheers
Hey, sorry for the very late response. It's very doable. All you need is to buy a clamp (I already have one that is being used to fly the 14-inch tom off of a cymbal stand). It's pretty easy to maneuver things to your liking, although the 14" tom is a little heavy with the die cast hoops and all so the stand's base has to be spread pretty wide. I probably wouldn't like to mount a tom any bigger than 14 inches, in which case I would proceed to floor tom legs.

Actually now that you mention it-- if you buy a gretsch renown, they now come with virgin bass drums, so the toms are mounted off cymbal stands "standard". I guess mine was made before they made the transition to virgin kicks on the renowns.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 AM

Real nice snag... That's a great kit, and if it sounds half as good as it looks then you are one VERY lucky man. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I just noticed your new sticks. Nice of you to branch off of Vic Firth for some Vater "Luke Skywalker" Signature Models. Very nice.
And I've gotta say, me being the huge Star Wars nerd I am, I thought that was f&#$%^g hilarious TPT. :)
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

update: Here's a recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUagsg-VNA