DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 AM

Default Remo Clear Emperors

I've got a million questions so plan on seeing plenty of threads from me. I figured this is a good place to start.

I'm planning on buying clear emperors for all my toms and I'm looking to upgrade from the stock gretsch resos. What kind of sound can I expect if I put emperors on both side.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Remo Clear Emperors

I use them , and with some moongel and they give a great 'thud' sound , which is suited to metal mainly. Thats just my $2 but they work for me ;)
Old 01-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

If you put emperors on both sides, I don't think it's going to sound much better than a plastic bucket. 2 ply heads aren't usally used on the bottoms except for maybe an 18 floor tom. What are your sizes? what music do you play? Do you play with a band?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:54 AM

10x8 & 12x9 rack toms

14x14 & 16x16 floor toms

I play death metal and I do play in a band.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

I play metal too. I have used clear Emperors on my setups many times. 10, 12, 14 or 12, 13, 16 power toms. I have always used clear Ambassadors (single ply) on the bottoms. If your playing loud metal in a band, you need all the cutting power you can get so putting Emperors on the bottoms may not be a good idea. Having them on the bottom may actually sound ok by themselves but in a metal band situation the drums may sound very low or lost. 2 ply heads on the tom bottoms will kill the sustain and volume.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 AM

I've seen remo resonant packs advertised online, how would these compare to using ambassadors or diplomats as resonant heads?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

That's probably what they are... meaning Ambassadors or Diplomats. Diplomats are thinner and resonate less than an Ambassador would. That would give you a shorter (less sustain) sound. Then again, I have heard some very resonant round sounding drums with Diplomats on the tom bottoms so.. as usual, a lot of it depends on your drums and the type of wood they are made of.

EDIT:

I just looked up the reso packs. I think what you are seeing are Remo Ebony Ambassadors. I have also used them many times on the bottoms as well. They really isn't a difference in sound when comparing them to the clear ones.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 AM

My kit is a Gretsch Catalina Maple and I'm looking for a punchy sound with short sustain. Using the clear emperors on batter side, would there be much difference between using ambassadors and my stock reso heads?

Also, i've been using remO's muffling rings on all my toms
Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Yes. Stock heads, tops or bottoms are junk most of the times. Replacing them with Ambassadors or any quality head will make a difference. A big difference.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 AM

I figured as much. From what I understand, 2 ply heads are best for a punchy, short sustain kind of sound. I have also been told that emperors have a broader tuning range than the pinstripes(my current batter heads). So if I am getting all this right, the emperors with ambassadors as resonants should give me a decent punchy sound with a good tuning range?

Oh, by the way, thanks for all the help :)
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

Emperors have been my heads of choice for quite a while. I have 2 kits, a Starclassic B/B and a normal Performer. The Emperors on the B/B give a nice fat thuddy sound I like out of my toms, I use Ambassators on the resonants and it gives me a decent ammount of resonance (not too much, not too little).

On the Performer, I use Pinstripes. I like the fat low end thump with them. With Ebony Ambassators on the resonant side it gives me a very well balanced resonance. I love this kit live, it's a beast.

I play metal too, so hopefully this will help.

I'd look at the Pinstripes before you settle on the Emperors, or maybe even Evans, Aquarian or Attack heads. I'm a Remo fan myself, but, if you are not totally sure, check into them.

And Gretsch's stock heads are GARBAGE so the sooner the better.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

No problem.Yes. You are right. The Emperors will have a wider tuning range then the Pinstripes. Emperors over Ambassadors are a common combo. The black Ambassadors cost a little more than clear ones. Now if you go with coated Emperors, that may eliminate the need for the Remo Rings. The coating will add some warmth and take away some of the ring and soften the attack. Also, don't be afraid to try Evans or Aquarian in the future. They both make excellent heads.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
No problem.Yes. You are right. The Emperors will have a wider tuning range then the Pinstripes. Emperors over Ambassadors are a common combo. The black Ambassadors cost a little more than clear ones. Now if you go with coated Emperors, that may eliminate the need for the Remo Rings. The coating will add some warmth and take away some of the ring and soften the attack. Also, don't be afraid to try Evans or Aquarian in the future. They both make excellent heads.
I never liked Evans. Their equivlent to the Pinstripes are hard to tune. I never liked them.
Aquarian is pretty good, easy to tune and the coatings last longer than Remos.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
I never liked Evans. Their equivlent to the Pinstripes are hard to tune. I never liked them.
Aquarian is pretty good, easy to tune and the coatings last longer than Remos.
The EC 2's? My son has them on his set. They aren't bad but do take some time to dial in. I have used Remo since 1982. I recently switched to Aquarian and really like them for reasons such as what you mentioned plus, the consistancy with Aquarian can't be beat.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 AM

emperors over ambassadors sounds like a solid choice, anyone know where to find a clear ambassador fusion pack? The only ones I can find are coated.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Try musicians friend
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Now if you go with coated Emperors, that may eliminate the need for the Remo Rings.
True, but I say ditch the remO rings, even if you do go with the clears. Let your drums breathe!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM

I did recently try clear Emperors as resos (clear EC2's on top). It was darker, warmer, short sustain, more of a "thud" sound but without much attack. You're probably better off putting Ambassadors on the bottom and adding muffling as needed.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

I think clear emps are the best 2-ply clear head on the market...they give you a huge, fat, deep, sustained sound. I'd put them over clear ambs, as others have suggested.