DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Default Tim Waterson Here!

Hello DRUMMERWORLD drummers and thanks to Bernhard for such a GREAT site.

For the drummers who dont know anything about me except WFD stuff.
I am about MUSIC,DRUMS AND DRUMMING...................

"Just don't get me started talking about drums or I will NEVER shut up" .LOL

click on www.judesanpedro.com and the intro clip is the type of music I end up playing to pay the rent..

To make a living playing music here you need to play more COUNTRY as you go North and as you go down south you get to play more Blues and Rock...
There are more ROCK sound clips from Judea s cd at myspace.com/judeathevoice

I created the WORLD record for the feet to promote a drum association I started in Edmonton..I got a lot of flack on how sloppy the record was well I was just tryimng to finish 60 seconds without falling on the floor.....LOL
I did post a fairly clean clip at you tube of 1057 in singles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPgWjA62ORc
Enough about the Wfd stuff.

The majority of videos i have posted were in response to drummers asking about techniques and I will continue to do so WHEN I get my NEW drums..... .

I have spent quite a while working on the new bassdrum techniques,motions and applications dvd to make sure I covered all the basses no pun intended....LOL
rather than try to promote the dvd you can just read the review and see comments from the Pros at www.twothreeonetwomusic.com

I posted clips from 4 different bands at www.myspace.com/timwaterson for drummers who wanted to hear me playing with the bands.
see I told you I talk a LOT when I get started on drums and drumming and drums and drumming.....LOL LOL!
God Bless
Tim
Axis Ambassador..
www.timwaterson.net
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Tim Waterson Here!

A big mistake that is too often made about Tim is that he is all speed and nothing else. Yes, he does hold world records for his speed, but he'll be the first to tell you that speed alone means nothing. Do yourself a favor and listen to him play!! He has speed, chops, and musicality, and he's a great teacher. And a heck of a great guy!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
A big mistake that is too often made about Tim is that he is all speed and nothing else. Yes, he does hold world records for his speed, but he'll be the first to tell you that speed alone means nothing. Do yourself a favor and listen to him play!! He has speed, chops, and musicality, and he's a great teacher. And a heck of a great guy!
I completley agree, i have been through most if not all of his youtube videos, and does great explanations. I have definiltey some cool ideas because of his videos. He is not only wicked fast, but a great player, and great guy.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Thanks ThomasDB
You are right the WFD thing is a double edge sword.
Unfortunately doing WFD all these years people just want to see my break records and the WFD was pushing that as well
I told DRUMMERES when I could do it clean I would and so thats why i put it on the DVD..
we have been bugging the WFD to let us show how to apply speed on the drums and show musical applications but only JR and Mike Mangini were allowed to perform.

I have always said being the fastest does not make me any better than someone who is slower it just makes my JOB playing Music much easier at normal tempos...LOL

I am going to be doing clinics promting the new dvd and one entire section is dedicated to Accuracy VS Speed.
No sense being able to hit 1057 if you cant play at 260 and no sense being able to hit 1000 if you cant play at 800 and so on......
Thanks for the support
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
I completley agree, i have been through most if not all of his youtube videos, and does great explanations. I have definiltey some cool ideas because of his videos. He is not only wicked fast, but a great player, and great guy.
Glad you are getting something good from the videos.
that is the reason I post them to help drummers with their technique..
If i can help one drummer then I am happy.
www.timwaterson.net
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM

hey bud i apreciate all the vids and what not. its allways cool to have a kick ass drummer help you out. thanks alot and good luck bro
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminbro23 View Post
hey bud i apreciate all the vids and what not. its allways cool to have a kick ass drummer help you out. thanks alot and good luck bro
Glad you like the clips the clips are posted to help drummers ...
ill have more videos comming when My NEW drums arrive....

Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Yo Tim,
This is Arka: remember we had a few e-mail exchanges last year (let me refresh your memory: Mapex drummer who asked you stuff about feet? No???)

Lol, anyways: just wanted to say 'Thank You' for some amazing technique, and well-explained at that :)

Love and Regards
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBritt View Post
Timmy,

How ya been! ...

My students enjoy your DVD! ...
dan Great to hear from you I am toutring Northern canada with JUDEA SAN PEDRO as live duo and we are doing great Ive been doing clinics on my days off while on the road as well ill post clips at youtube
Al lthe best God Bless
Tm
www.timwaterson.net
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 AM

Hi Tim,
It sounds like you are very busy so I will try to keep this as short as possible. I've been playing drums now for about 32 years, I have always been a single bass player but I am wanting to get into double bass to try to add more to my playing. I have talked to a lot of drummers about getting started with double bass, but you can never get a straight answer out of anyone.
A lot of guys say that you should put the pedal tension as high as it goes, some say you should sit real high, some drummers say sit low. I'm also trying to find out where is the best foot position, in the middle of the pedals, toward the top etc. If you could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also using a double bass pedal, should my feet be shoulder width apart or more or less? Do you think it's better to use two bass drums instead and can the double bass pedal? And one last question is it better to lift the knees when you play, therefore using the thigh muscle and calf or rely on the twitch muscles and tap the foot board with the ball of your foot using the quick ankle movement? I'm sorry for so many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, good luck on your tour it sounds pretty cool.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
Hi Tim,
It sounds like you are very busy so I will try to keep this as short as possible. I've been playing drums now for about 32 years, I have always been a single bass player but I am wanting to get into double bass to try to add more to my playing. I have talked to a lot of drummers about getting started with double bass, but you can never get a straight answer out of anyone.
A lot of guys say that you should put the pedal tension as high as it goes, some say you should sit real high, some drummers say sit low. I'm also trying to find out where is the best foot position, in the middle of the pedals, toward the top etc. If you could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also using a double bass pedal, should my feet be shoulder width apart or more or less? Do you think it's better to use two bass drums instead and can the double bass pedal? And one last question is it better to lift the knees when you play, therefore using the thigh muscle and calf or rely on the twitch muscles and tap the foot board with the ball of your foot using the quick ankle movement? I'm sorry for so many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, good luck on your tour it sounds pretty cool.
We have a break this week
I explain in detail setting up for posture in my DVD.
but you need to center your balance.
2 bass drums sound better and havr more musical possibilities and except for AXIS I hate most double pedals.LOL
heres a preview
Tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIFXqpnQ5PY
www.timwaterson.net
Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM

is that an Axis pedal in clip and does the angle you put you pedals at make it easier to do heel-toe
Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprisun3484 View Post
is that an Axis pedal in clip and does the angle you put you pedals at make it easier to do heel-toe
Of course Being the Axis Ambassador..LOL
The drumframe allows me to tour as I have a injured back..
I can do heel toe on any surface or any pedal LOL
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Hi Tim!
Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond to my many questions. I'm sorry I had so many questions, your clip was very helpful. What tension do you prefer on your pedals? I will definately get your DVD, thanks again!
pcmckay
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
Hi Tim!
Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond to my many questions. I'm sorry I had so many questions, your clip was very helpful. What tension do you prefer on your pedals? I will definately get your DVD, thanks again!
pcmckay
I have 3 double pedals all set differnt tensions.
I dont want to rely on any setting I want to be able to play on any pedal with any tension setting
but overall playing i prefer a medium loose tension for control and power.
For the WFD stuff my pedals were tight but now I can go even faster with a loose tension
Tim
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Hey Tim!!

Just thought I would drop by and say how much I've enjoyed your videos/tutorials throughout the years. And I do have a question for you.

I recently ordered Axis A Longboard double pedal. I have been using an Iron Cobra Double Pedal for about 6 years. The pedal hasn't been in my possession the whole time and has taken some really rough treatment and has been in some bad conditions. The springs are now rusted, and are on the default settings (loose) and are unadjustable. Also, the chains on the pedals are rusted as well as most of the other hardware. I've been saving up instead of trying to fix up the dying pedal.

I can do single strokes 16ths at about 180 pretty comfortably. I've also been trying to learn the heel-toe technique through various videos, tutorials (including your own- with the heel slam making the double), and I can't get it to work. I was wondering if it's just me or if it could just be the pedal (due to it's condition). I'm really excited about getting my new pedals in, but it'll be a couple of weeks. What do you think? (sorry for the long post)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
Hey Tim!!

Just thought I would drop by and say how much I've enjoyed your videos/tutorials throughout the years. And I do have a question for you.

I recently ordered Axis A Longboard double pedal. I have been using an Iron Cobra Double Pedal for about 6 years. The pedal hasn't been in my possession the whole time and has taken some really rough treatment and has been in some bad conditions. The springs are now rusted, and are on the default settings (loose) and are unadjustable. Also, the chains on the pedals are rusted as well as most of the other hardware. I've been saving up instead of trying to fix up the dying pedal.

I can do single strokes 16ths at about 180 pretty comfortably. I've also been trying to learn the heel-toe technique through various videos, tutorials (including your own- with the heel slam making the double), and I can't get it to work. I was wondering if it's just me or if it could just be the pedal (due to it's condition). I'm really excited about getting my new pedals in, but it'll be a couple of weeks. What do you think? (sorry for the long post)
First of all I NEVER slam my foot into the pedal I just let the heel drop naturally.
try oiling the springs LOL
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 AM

I didnt actually meant that you "slam" it, thats just the way I said it. I can tell that you let your foot fall naturally. Is that a pretty easy motion or does it take some time to master?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM

TIm

Love the DVD! It's really helped by accuracy and strength on the bass drum...What type of beaters do you use on a regular basis, wood , felt, ??

Jason
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrhcp View Post
TIm

Love the DVD! It's really helped by accuracy and strength on the bass drum...What type of beaters do you use on a regular basis, wood , felt, ??

Jason
Jason glad the dvd is helping you because that why i put it out to help drummers
I use the sonic hammers for overall playing but for extreme speed and more rudimental patterns i alternate between the wood beaters and the axis marksman smaller but a bit quicker response of the bassdrum head.
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Hey Tim-

Great youtube stuff!!!

Got my Axis pedal...Killer. Been tweaking it... I played Roddys pedals the other dat and he has them much diferant than I do..But I learned from playing his...
Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 PM

I bought Tim's DVD a while ago, and the Moose stamp on the packaging was worth the price alone. The DVD content is great, and Tim is a genuinely nice guy.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JOHN FAVICCHIA * View Post
Hey Tim-

Great youtube stuff!!!

Got my Axis pedal...Killer. Been tweaking it... I played Roddys pedals the other dat and he has them much diferant than I do..But I learned from playing his...
John thanks ive seen your clips too.
I have 3 double pedals and they are ALL set different..
Great to be part of the Drummer commaraderie.......sp?
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Hey Tim-

Thanks for the info. I have really enjoyed working with the Axis pedals. It is great to be on the Axis team for sure...

JF
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JOHN FAVICCHIA * View Post
Hey Tim-

Thanks for the info. I have really enjoyed working with the Axis pedals. It is great to be on the Axis team for sure...

JF
John let me know if you come to Canada it would be great to do some clinics together
Tim
www.timwaterson.net

Last edited by Tim Waterson; 08-06-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Hey Tim-

For sure bro!! I had talked to the cat from Long & Mcquade a while back. Lets put a tour together. Lets talk. Call me -

Fav
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tormey View Post
I bought Tim's DVD a while ago, and the Moose stamp on the packaging was worth the price alone. The DVD content is great, and Tim is a genuinely nice guy.
THANKS for the kind words and GLAD you enjoy the dvd.
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 AM
blink44

TIM!!!!!!
amazing drummer, subscribed and watched alot of your videos.
i learned that relaxed playing is the fastest :D
Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink44 View Post
TIM!!!!!!
amazing drummer, subscribed and watched alot of your videos.
i learned that relaxed playing is the fastest :D
Thanks for the kind words and YES its funn the more I relaxed I get the faster I go.....
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Hey Tim!

What kind of shoes do you wear when you play drums? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyaging View Post
Hey Tim!

What kind of shoes do you wear when you play drums? Thanks!
DB drumshoes
jerry Lynch is a drummer who designed them desinged to worn barefoot so your feet can breath..LOL
Tim
www.drumshoes.com
www.timwaterson.net
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Hey Tim, are you going to try and beat Mike Mallais in the WFD events next year?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Hi Tim!!! I got two questions? What do you think about flat foot technique???? and how do you set your pedlal tension??
Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toza View Post
Hi Tim!!! I got two questions? What do you think about flat foot technique???? and how do you set your pedlal tension??
flat foot is just running on the pedals and uses the legs.
I use a loose ankle and let me ankles control the notes.
\i have 3 double pedals and they are all set differnt tensions I want to be to play on Any pedal at any tension and still get the job done.
but for overalplaying medium tension
merry Christmas and God Bless
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
flat foot is just running on the pedals and uses the legs.
I use a loose ankle and let me ankles control the notes.
\i have 3 double pedals and they are all set differnt tensions I want to be to play on Any pedal at any tension and still get the job done.
but for overalplaying medium tension
merry Christmas and God Bless
Tim
So you dont lock your foot? its like heal toe. its not one, one, one, one... its one, two, one, two?
Do you touch pedal with yout toe when you play fast? (my english sucks sorry)
Marry christmas to you and your family keep on the good work!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I want to be to play on Any pedal at any tension and still get the job done.
Tim
I see a lot of guys play on a double pedal and they are mad fast. And then when I use the pedal it is very hard to play and I realize that those guys can just play on any pedal, and still be mad fast.

I've not been able to develop a really strong double, and I think there is just something about developing a certain ankle strength that helps in that process. So these guys have a certain ankle strength that, unfortunately, I don't possess. What is your approach, and what can I do to improve that? thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Drummer_666 View Post
Hey Tim, are you going to try and beat Mike Mallais in the WFD events next year?
Kyle
I have not done WFD in about 2 years Jotan, Art, and Myself stopped doing i at the same time ..Boring...
we are DRUMMERS first

.I have my certificates for 1407 and 1057 so thats good enough.There is reason to do WFD
I am playing music with JUDEA SAN PEDRO and promoting my TMA dvd when I do clinics I teach drummers how to NOT rely on double bass and do what you can with one foot first.
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
www.timwaterson.net
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I see a lot of guys play on a double pedal and they are mad fast. And then when I use the pedal it is very hard to play and I realize that those guys can just play on any pedal, and still be mad fast.

I've not been able to develop a really strong double, and I think there is just something about developing a certain ankle strength that helps in that process. So these guys have a certain ankle strength that, unfortunately, I don't possess. What is your approach, and what can I do to improve that? thanks
A good drummer can play on any set with any pedal
I set out exercises on my dvd showing the transition between leg and ankle motions and once those are learned its just a matter of applying that to your playing
Tim
www.twothreeonetwomusic.com
www.timwaterson.net
Old 12-24-2008, 04:04 AM
WFD Champion

Quote:
Kyle
I have not done WFD in about 2 years Jotan, Art, and Myself stopped doing i at the same time ..Boring...
we are DRUMMERS first

.I have my certificates for 1407 and 1057 so thats good enough.There is reason to do WFD
I am playing music with JUDEA SAN PEDRO and promoting my TMA dvd when I do clinics I teach drummers how to NOT rely on double bass and do what you can with one foot first.
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
Tim... I hoped you would stop putting WFD beneath you as its done more for you than ANYthing else you've done MUSICALLY.

Also... I also try to have some sympathy for you because without you I wouldnt have felt so confident going into the WFD competitions... but please... please please please STOP filling the internet with FALSE facts... you don't have to support WFD anymore... but you do NOT have a certifacate for 1057 single strokes from WFD... and are no longer the Foot Single Stroke World Champion.

I'd like to close this post saying that Tim... you're a great guy...and a good drummer... but I still cherish what WFD has done/does for me and won't turn my back to this kind of drama.

Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Machine View Post
Tim... I hoped you would stop putting WFD beneath you as its done more for you than ANYthing else you've done MUSICALLY.

Also... I also try to have some sympathy for you because without you I wouldnt have felt so confident going into the WFD competitions... but please... please please please STOP filling the internet with FALSE facts... you don't have to support WFD anymore... but you do NOT have a certifacate for 1057 single strokes from WFD... and are no longer the Foot Single Stroke World Champion.

I'd like to close this post saying that Tim... you're a great guy...and a good drummer... but I still cherish what WFD has done/does for me and won't turn my back to this kind of drama.

Mike
Mike there is NO drama.Relax
I have a letter from BOO authorizing the use of the WFD logo on my dvd for the 1057 in singles.i made sure I got written permission before I added the WFD logo
Who cares anyways I just did the 1057 for the DVD
FYI the 1057 was done in 2006

there are so many guys comming up running over 1000 1100 will be there soon..
Chris Thorpe and JADE are both running over the 1034 you did and i believe there is another drummer running over 1060 as well.
Tim
www.timwaterson.net

Last edited by Tim Waterson; 01-06-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling