DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 AM

Default The RIGHT drum heads??

Right now I have a 5 piece PDP805 Drumset. The model with the 24" kick and 18"Floor.
I have on my snare the stock snare side head and on the batter I just bought the Remo EmperorX Snare head.
I'm a drummer for a rock and punk style group and I just haven't found the right type of heads for my toms. I want a really thick and full sound with small overtones but the EC2 and stock heads I've used aren't working. I've also tried Remo Pinstripe Clear and they felt they they needed to be tuned very high for a good sound. Opinion on the Remo Ebony Pinstripe??
Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 AM

Default Re: The RIGHT drum heads??

Try coated heads maybe g2 coated heads? my favorite clears are the g2's...im not a fan of muffled heads...the aquarian performance II's taught me to avoid muffled heads...i suggest giving the g2's a try...big tuning range not so many overtones and if u want more dampening u can always throw a moongel on em
Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerdrums109 View Post
Try coated heads maybe g2 coated heads? my favorite clears are the g2's...im not a fan of muffled heads...the aquarian performance II's taught me to avoid muffled heads...i suggest giving the g2's a try...big tuning range not so many overtones and if u want more dampening u can always throw a moongel on em
G2's have a nice full sound, but they also have alot of overtones i find. But my idea of alot of over tone may differ from others opinion.

I think you actually should give the G2's a shot.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

This maybe sound a bit crazy, but try G2 coated on both top and bottom. This will deaden the sound a bit, but it will have more of a consistent thump, rather than full bodied sound with some overtones.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
This maybe sound a bit crazy, but try G2 coated on both top and bottom. This will deaden the sound a bit, but it will have more of a consistent thump, rather than full bodied sound with some overtones.
Gah that does sound crzy and goes against anything id ever think of doing but hey it might work for this guy
Old 07-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

Try the Aquarian Performance II line. You can tune them loose and get that low sound without ring or over tones. I found that I liked to tune them a little bit tight. They get a nice little ring when their tight. They are not forgiving. It will take you awhile to find your tune. Thats why a lot of drummers don't like them.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Try the Aquarian Performance II line. You can tune them loose and get that low sound without ring or over tones. I found that I liked to tune them a little bit tight. They get a nice little ring when their tight. They are not forgiving. It will take you awhile to find your tune. Thats why a lot of drummers don't like them.
Yup, I have the PDP 805, and I concur.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 AM
cjbee

Get some clear/coated two ply heads. Emperor's or G2's will do the trick. All of these extremely muffled heads people are suggesting will simply kill the sound of your drums. Much of the ringing, buzzing and harshness of wide-open drums, is lost to the din of amplified bass and distorted guitar...leaving a "pure" tone in the mix. While they sound rough to the naked ear, within the context of a performance, they will sound good...assuming they're well tuned to begin with. Go the other way...too much muffling...and once the rest of the music is piled on...nothing...drums sound dead.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM

very true statement from cjbee. you don't want to deaden the sound of your toms so much that when playing with other musicians, your have no sound at all. i would suggest you try some 2ply coated heads..possibly evans g2 coated, remo emperor coated, or even aquarian super2 or response2 (both coated). if you want your drums to have a little more bite to them then try those same heads but in clear.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Pioneer Member

I would suggest buying 1 new batter and 1 reso for your most used tom to see how it sounds. I'd go with a clear single ply like and ambassador or G1 for the reso and an Emperor or G2 for the batter. For your style of music I'd go clear I think coated heads may have too warm a sound for your style of music. Try that combo on one drum to see if you can get the sound you are looking for.

Also don't judge the sound from behind the kit, it's very misleading. You really need to have someone else play your kit and you stand 15 ft away or so to see how they really sound. You'll be amazed at the difference from behind your kit to out front.

Keep in mind you'll also want to do the same thing when you gig, every venue can cause your drums to sound different so you may have to retune.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Evans Hydraulic heads for depth and punch.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpdrummer740 View Post
Right now I have a 5 piece PDP805 Drumset. The model with the 24" kick and 18"Floor.
I have on my snare the stock snare side head and on the batter I just bought the Remo EmperorX Snare head.
I'm a drummer for a rock and punk style group and I just haven't found the right type of heads for my toms. I want a really thick and full sound with small overtones but the EC2 and stock heads I've used aren't working. I've also tried Remo Pinstripe Clear and they felt they they needed to be tuned very high for a good sound. Opinion on the Remo Ebony Pinstripe??
Same as clears just black, I think they sound just a touch darker than the clears as well.