DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 AM

Default Best electronic drumsert at $3500-$4000 the most

I'm about to buy an electronic kit in the next few weeks and i wanted your opinion about it. I mainly play metal but i'm open and trying to learn other stuff as well.I also want to make good recordings with this kit.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Best electronic drumsert at $3500-$4000 the most

Best E-Kit out there I think is the Yamaha DTXTREME 3. It's less than $4000 and has great sounds. I think the drum sounds are better than Roland's. Also the tuning of the drums can be adjusted quickly on those knobs as well as the turning on and off the snares. The Roland requires you to go through a menu to do that (try doing that during a song). I think the Roland TD-20 with the new expansion board is truly amazing, but the $7000 tag is ridiculous. The Yamaha kits are consistent and work great. Rolands tend to wear out sometimes. We've got a TD-12 (around $4000) at school here, but it's all worn out I think as the triggering sort of sucks now. I have an old TD-6 kit at home with the old pads that still work though, but I never played hard on it (why would you) The Yamaha drums sound real for the acoustic sounds, and I think it samples and records better but I'm not sure. The Rolands have neat stuff like being able to choose the shell size, type, etc. but I think you can do a lot of that with the Yamahas as well. http://dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Best E-Kit out there I think is the Yamaha DTXTREME 3. It's less than $4000 and has great sounds. I think the drum sounds are better than Roland's. Also the tuning of the drums can be adjusted quickly on those knobs as well as the turning on and off the snares. The Roland requires you to go through a menu to do that (try doing that during a song). I think the Roland TD-20 with the new expansion board is truly amazing, but the $7000 tag is ridiculous. The Yamaha kits are consistent and work great. Rolands tend to wear out sometimes. We've got a TD-12 (around $4000) at school here, but it's all worn out I think as the triggering sort of sucks now. I have an old TD-6 kit at home with the old pads that still work though, but I never played hard on it (why would you) The Yamaha drums sound real for the acoustic sounds, and I think it samples and records better but I'm not sure. The Rolands have neat stuff like being able to choose the shell size, type, etc. but I think you can do a lot of that with the Yamahas as well. http://dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php
I'd hesitate to call any kit with rubber pads "the best". Mesh are superior in every way except possibly durability.

A DTXIII brain has some great tools, but would be better off with hart or pintech mesh pads and rack for a reasonable price.

For that matter, get pintech or hart pads and a TD-9k or maybe a td-12 from ebay.

If you buy a pintech kit from hope drums, he will sell the TD-20K brain for $1500 with it, and the TD-12 for about $1,100.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM

I've never heard of pintech kits before. As for the TD-12, that was my original thought but didn''t get excited at all after trying it on a music store. The crash-choke's most times didn't work etc. i don't if that's because every 15 year old goes in there and beats the shit out of them :p
Anyways fact is i would prefer mesh pads because they're more silent and i live in a hall full of students but if something is better and it's with rubber pads i'd go for it.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

The Yamaha DTXTREME 3 is a good buy
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Pioneer Member

The Yamaha pads on the dtxtreme series actually feel better than mesh heads. Neither of them really feel 'real' but they are different type of rubber than most e-kits. They have a nice bounce and they don't hurt to play after a long time (like my old Pd6 pads) or they don't feel odd like the mesh ones do. I broke a pair of Sd4s on that stupid TD-12 which was weird, because there was nothing wrong with the stick. I think the shock generated by those heads just jumps into the stick and creates unnecessary stress. I think Roland kits have better triggering features, but I'm not sure of their reliability over time. Yamaha just makes solid stuff.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

A used TD-20. I paid 4100.00 for min so I know they are out there
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
The Yamaha pads on the dtxtreme series actually feel better than mesh heads. .
I never thought so. The DTX-II pads were a bit better than rolands rubber pads, but not as good as mesh for feel or response.

They simply don't have the give/adjustable tension.

That being said, they are good, just not "the best."

Pintech, for those who have not heard of them are made in the USA, liscenced by Roland. They are very,very close in design and cost *MUCH* less.

Here is a link to compare how they look inside: (Hart, Roland, Pintech)
http://www.hopedrums.com/What's%20Inside.htm
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

And don't forget Mesh heads arent the real feel to. They even bounse to much opposite to a real head. So Its a mather of what do you like more I think.

I would say the DTXtrem, not only because of the more sophisticated module, but also the (versatile) Hex Rack (wich you can also use with you're acoustic set and has a long durabillity, so thats why the higher price)

And if you don't have need for it, there's also the ''standard'' version wich have a ''standard'' rack a cymbal and a tom pad less.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Mesh heads only have to much bounce when they are to tight. If you play my Rolanf kit the heads feel just like the real thing. You simpley tune them down until they feel right.

That being said, whatever you prefer is the best kit for you ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 AM

Ok, next few days i'll have a closer look at the DTXTREME3 and i'll let you guys know.
If anyone has anything else to say or propose though, feel free to do it.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

The Music Director at my church got forced into going electronic. We went and strolled the local GC. Bang for the buck, feel, and usability go to the Yamaha DTXtreme got the vote. With the $300 rebate, they walked it out the door at $2,900. That's the full boatload of stuff. Three sided hex rack, three zone snare and four tom pads, (two) three zone squelchable crashes, a ride, and hats. Then brain is easily comperable, if not superior to contrasting kits. The other "little things", tuners and swtching snare strainer are small compared to some of the processor functions. Adjustable gated metronome, something like 50 full songs to play against. Can even chagnge the tempo of the songs without changing the pitch.

All in all...especially since I'm not paying for it...it's a great deal. And seeing that you can't get it for any less than $4K online, I think they got a deal.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 PM

I finally got the Yamaha Dtxtremes!!And they're great so far. Thanks for your help guys. Also see this thread and see if you can help me out with this one.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...680#post512680

Cheers