DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 PM

Default Parents Broke My Nickelworks Strainer :(

I just came back from college for thanksgiving break, and I was going to set up my set and realized the throw off on my snare is busted. It is the nickelworks clear/satin plastic version, and just the handle part is broken. Does anyone know if you can take these things apart -I'd like to try to replace the handle rather than just supergluing it or something.
Here's some pics of the damage:
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Parents Broke My Nickelworks Strainer :(

new strainer?

how'd they break it?

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 11-26-2008, 05:45 PM

I think they did it when they were moving my gear around- I guess it's a long shot try to fix it. I just don't feel like dishing out $60 right now. I may try to do sloppy job and try to glue it or something...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

well, you prolly could take it apart...

but it would be tough, and it would be even harder trying to find just the handle..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I just came back from college for thanksgiving break, and I was going to set up my set and realized the throw off on my snare is busted. It is the nickelworks clear/satin plastic version, and just the handle part is broken. Does anyone know if you can take these things apart -I'd like to try to replace the handle rather than just supergluing it or something.
Here's some pics of the damage:

Contact me as I have some options for you.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

solution?...

Old 11-28-2008, 02:20 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
solution?...

That is the only strainer I will ever use again. Solid metal, smooth and it has intermediate stops.

If I am paying more than $30 for a strainer, there better be no plastic!

I can sympathize with the poster though. Thanks mom and dad for moving/breaking my strainer. Is this some kind of passive aggressive commentary on my playing?

J/K.

Superglue will fix it, but it won't look good. Contact the person above....
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 AM

solution:

just kidding... but that's what I would like to do if anyone hurt my babies heh heh heh
Old 11-28-2008, 02:28 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyfromWI View Post
solution:

just kidding... but that's what I would like to do if anyone hurt my babies heh heh heh
Those have a tendency to jam. You can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson revolver. And those don't leave shell-casings lying around. That's a tip, kids.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Those have a tendency to jam. You can't go wrong with a Smith and Wesson revolver. And those don't leave shell-casings lying around. That's a tip, kids.
haha make sure to burn the bodies too

then there's no evidence
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Umm just a thought about the strainer, y dont u try to weld or solder it back together? just ask around and find someone with a welder if u dont have one yourself and join it that way. Just a thought :)
Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have one of the Nickelworks strainers and they're made out of polycarbonate, the stuff they use for bulletproof glasses and car engine parts. They're supposed to be indestructible. How in the heck did they break it??
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
J/K.

Superglue will fix it, but it won't look good. Contact the person above....
Not likely. It's subjected to quite a bit of stress, lots of leverage and has limited surface area for glue, A gusset would help but you're pretty much screwed with this kind of damage. Hopefully he can replace the lever only.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Not likely. It's subjected to quite a bit of stress, lots of leverage and has limited surface area for glue, A gusset would help but you're pretty much screwed with this kind of damage. Hopefully he can replace the lever only.
The "glue" like certain industrial epoxies I use are stronger than that crappy plastic handle.

My favorite solution is to replace the nickle, throw it in the trash and install the trick.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The "glue" like certain industrial epoxies I use are stronger than that crappy plastic handle.

My favorite solution is to replace the nickle, throw it in the trash and install the trick.
Or if you're not a huge fan of the Trick action but still realize that plastic is probably not the best material for a snare strainer, go for the Dunnett R-Class strainer. It's cheaper and better than the Nickel strainer.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
Or if you're not a huge fan of the Trick action but still realize that plastic is probably not the best material for a snare strainer, go for the Dunnett R-Class strainer. It's cheaper and better than the Nickel strainer.
No, metal is the best material. The Trick is far superior than either of those. I've built snares with all of them. The other two cannot match the tricks smoothness, intermediate stop, or precision...not even a close contest. The engineering in the trick and features are leaps ahead of the others.

Best to worst: Trick, Dunnett, Nickle.

Paying as much as I did for a nickle with a plastic handle was criminal. It would like paying for DW drums and getting molded plastic rims. No deal.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM

Does the smoothness of a throw-off really matter that much? I can understand if it's all choppy, but does it need to be like butter?

I'm happy with my Ludwig, it gets the job done.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 AM

Is the strainer made out of metal or plastic?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM201 View Post
Does the smoothness of a throw-off really matter that much? I can understand if it's all choppy, but does it need to be like butter?

I'm happy with my Ludwig, it gets the job done.
You are 100% correct.
None of these high end strainers are required.

I have thousand of examples with me, and thousands more at home. Recordings done with Ludwig supraphonic, BB, Gretsch, Tama and so on. All have factory throws and all have top notch sound.

I can only imagine the ad hype that went into the nickle throw.

"Hmm.. how do we sell a throw with a cheap plastic lever for the same or more than the superior competition?" (brainstorming session) "Hey I know! We will tell customers that molded plastic sounds superior to real metal! Yeah, that's the ticket! Metal must be singing or choking something in the throw!!! " And thus, people pay the same for a plastic levered throw as a metal throw assuming it gives the attached snare drum some etherial sonic properties. In reality, they are paying an absurd amount of money for a strainer with imported/inferior plastic parts that break easily and don't help the sound.

FWIW: one of the iconic snare drum sounds of all time: Copeland's early Police albums. He used an off-the-rack plain steel tama snare. No special throw. Peart used an old Slingerland radio king. Bonham used...well we all know what he used. ;)

That's my rant. I hate the nickleworks strainer.
Did I mention that I hated the nickleworks plastic-handled strainer? Well, I do. It's one product I have no respect for, especially since it's not inexpensive. YEEECCCKK.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I like the low mass of the Nickel, its relatively low profile and its very durable polycarbonate handle. You'd have to really crank on it to break it. So far, it's worked great for me - very smooth action. I have seen too many snares with bent metal throw offs because people didn't know how to move them. I imagine the Trick can't be bent so good for those who have the Trick.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
I like the low mass of the Nickel, its relatively low profile and its very durable polycarbonate handle. You'd have to really crank on it to break it. So far, it's worked great for me - very smooth action. I have seen too many snares with bent metal throw offs because people didn't know how to move them. I imagine the Trick can't be bent so good for those who have the Trick.
I can't justify the low-mass/ .05 cents in plastic for the cost. Polycarbonate is plastic by any other name. They make more durable lightweight materials like titanium and magnesium that won't snap like a toungue depresser.

Really crank on it to break it...or tap it against something solid and it snaps, especially if it's cold.

The questions I ask and answer:
1. Does this cheaply built throw justify it's cost based on parts. A. No, not even close
2. Does this brittle, fragile, low mass throw work better than other throws? A. No, save for the cheapest throws
3. Does this plastic handled, low mass throw make a snare drums sound better in any way than other throws: A: NO, absoloutely not. recordings of other snares stand as proof.
4. Do other throws like the Trick and Dunnett have more durable parts and better features for the same money? A. Yes, like intermediate stops and metal parts.
5. Does the low mass of the nickle in itself provide any advantage? A. No, it's psychological. There is no advantage to the sound, and saving a few grams weight is irrelevent, especially if the snare already weighs 25 lbs.

No sale.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 12-02-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can't justify the low-mass/ .05 cents in plastic for the cost. Polycarbonate is plastic by any other name. They make more durable lightweight materials like titanium and magnesium that won't snap like a toungue depresser.

Really crank on it to break it...or tap it against something solid and it snaps, especially if it's cold.

The questions I ask and answer:
1. Does this cheaply built throw justify it's cost based on parts. A. No, not even close
2. Does this brittle, fragile, low mass throw work better than other throws? A. No, save for the cheapest throws
3. Does this plastic handled, low mass throw make a snare drums sound better in any way than other throws: A: NO, absoloutely not. recordings of other snares stand as proof.
4. Do other throws like the Trick and Dunnett have more durable parts and better features for the same money? A. Yes, like intermediate stops and metal parts.
5. Does the low mass of the nickle in itself provide any advantage? A. No, it's psychological. There is no advantage to the sound, and saving a few grams weight is irrelevent, especially if the snare already weighs 25 lbs.

No sale.
Wow.

Sounds like you definitely, most assuredly and absolutely should not go anywhere near a Nickel. Mine was on my snare when I got it and I have nothing but good things to say about the Nickel.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:38 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Wow.

Sounds like you definitely, most assuredly and absolutely should not go anywhere near a Nickel. Mine was on my snare when I got it and I have nothing but good things to say about the Nickel.
They work, granted. Better? No...

I built two snares (one for myself, and one for a friend) and both nickle strainers ended up getting broken where another throw would have shrugged off the issue.

Plastic (especially thin parts) has no business being in certain things. My snare drums, and hand tools are two of them.

If someone tried to sell me a polycarbonate claw hammer or saw blade on the premise that they were low mass and decorative, I'd have to laugh...hard.

You are right, I'll never go anywhere near a Nickle strainer again. If I end up buying a snare with one on it, I'll swap it out immediately.

I simply cannot reconcile the construction/price of that throw. It's not my bag.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
The Dunnett's are a fantastic looking strainer, however have a tendency to slip; something caused by the design of the mechanism.

The Trick, in my opinion, is the holy grail of strainers. Second to the trick would be this bad boy, the RCK...

It's a bit cheaper to; $37 for the chrome and $44 for black chrome compared to the Trick's $69 price tag.

...and after that I'd take one of the newer Nickels and then the Dunnett
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
The Dunnett's are a fantastic looking strainer, however have a tendency to slip; something caused by the design of the mechanism.

The Trick, in my opinion, is the holy grail of strainers. Second to the trick would be this bad boy, the RCK...

It's a bit cheaper to; $37 for the chrome and $44 for black chrome compared to the Trick's $69 price tag.

...and after that I'd take one of the newer Nickels and then the Dunnett
Now THAT is what I am talking about! Solid, simple throw (RCK) at a nice price! Nothing flimsy or etherial, just a solidly built component that works and looks great!

Note: I don't want to seem testy or harsh toward DMC if he takes it that way. I had a couple very bad experiances with the nickel (mine was broken in a similar manner as this thread states...someone else moved it) and it's nothing personal. My environment here isn't exactly conducive to the love of plastic parts. The nickle is just a throw that I personally don't like and can't recommend over other throws. Nothing more.