DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,376
Default AC/DC Marketing

It has been reported that AC/DC has refused to sell their music on iTunes stating that their music is meant to be heard as an album and not as singles. That I have no problem with but I wonder why they would only allow their newest album to be sold at WalMart and not the rest of the retail world. Are they losing sales opportunities by doing this or do you feel that if someone really wants the album they will go to WalMart to buy it? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

p.s. I just checked iTunes and there are 160 AC/CD songs there by various artists, so at least in time they are selling the rights to their music.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 11-24-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Walmart's marketing savvy is why they did it:-


Walmart's done it successfully for the Eagles, and Journey before. Classic rock is an extremely marketable commodity. An entire generation grew up on the stuff. No surprise that it sells really well with the Walmart boomer/rocker crowd. Music + AC/DC promotional items etc makes it a more attractive and dependable revenue stream for the band.

Why it wont work:-

Its an exclusively US deal.
The ease of buying from anywhere in the world makes it a bit of a farce. Retailers can buy the music from say Agentina or Spain and retail it in the US

Last edited by aydee; 11-22-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 AM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

I have no problem going to wal mart to get it. It's most likely going to be cheaper anyways. And if your embarrassed to go into wal mart.......
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:35 PM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Itunes and things like it only normally pay the band $0.01 for every song downloaded.
Some sights are free, and some people found out how to hack their Rock Band/Guitar Hero and put those songs on their Ipod.

That's why Metallica took down Napster, and thats why AC/DC refuses to sell their albums anywhere else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
bongo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Walmart bothers me, and I don't like AC/DC supporting them.

For one thing, Walmarts are not everywhere. Some of us live way out in the mountains or desert, or even remote small towns. Don't really want to drive to Walmart when there are other local stores that sell music closer.

Walmart also hires 5 people when 3 would do, and keeps them all under 30 hours a week so the company avoids paying health insurance and other benefits. To me this circumvents the intent of the law. Companies should provide decent jobs with living wages and become assets to our communities. Our taxes and welfare agencies pick up the slack, giving Walmart a money benefit, undercutting the competition and encouraging the behavior in yet other companies.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,376
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Well I couldn't agree more with that last bit but just wonder why they wouldn't want every avenue available open to sell their product. Most products have problems selling bec ause of the traffic involved. I would want worldwide distribution if I thought I had a decent product.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
.Are they losing sales opportunities by doing this or do you feel that if someone really wants the album they will go to WalMart to buy it?
If i was a member of ACDC (or any other successfull band for that matter) I wouldn't care about sales or my album, it's about the music, not the money.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,183
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Hello,

The question to be asked to the Young brothers:
Why Walmart? Marketing strategy? Stock market? Music above money or vice versa?

Cheers,
__________________
Thank you so much...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,376
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
If i was a member of ACDC (or any other successfull band for that matter) I wouldn't care about sales or my album, it's about the music, not the money.
That may be true but the theme of the thread was why only one store, not their music philosophy. They said in their interview that they wanted their music to be sold in its entirety, and not singles and that's why they chose not to sell to iTunes and that is fine, but since they are selling them why not everywhere. You don't make albums just for the music.
You can do that in the studio or on stage. Bands tour to give folks a chance to listen and then buy their music. Most venues have the album or CD present to sell on the spot. I guess WalMart has small booths outside the venues.

p.s. I just checked iTunes and there are 160 AC/DC songs listed by various artists so at least in time they are selling the rights to their music.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

I may be wrong but I thought I had read somewhere in the past that Wal Mart will only do exclusive deals with artists or not carry them at all? I'm sure artists negotiate with them (and I'm sure not all artists are exclusive)...but as the largest retailer in the world I'm sure they can make demands that others can't.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,376
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Zam you may be right. I remembering watching a program about the process that vendors go through to get their products into Walmart, and most of the time they tell you what they will pay for your product, and what they will sell it for. So they may have been the exclusive seller by their own terms and not AC/DC. Good catch.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Alex H Alex H is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 64
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

That is a good point, but still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sure, Wal-Mart is a very large retailer and it's great to get your product in there. However, to me, if they have an "exclusive" deal policy it makes more sense to me to put my album in record stores and the like rather than Wal-Mart. I guess I'm saying that I go to Wal-Mart to buy batteries and watering cans, not music. I know that's not the case for everyone, but I think it's a pretty accurate statement for many. To me, I feel like it makes more sense to distribute it more widely and not have it in Wal-Mart. But hey, I'm just a college kid who hasn't taken economics yet, so I could be totally wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Just Drums's Avatar
Just Drums Just Drums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 944
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I may be wrong but I thought I had read somewhere in the past that Wal Mart will only do exclusive deals with artists or not carry them at all? I'm sure artists negotiate with them (and I'm sure not all artists are exclusive)...but as the largest retailer in the world I'm sure they can make demands that others can't.
Bingo. We have a winner. Wal-Mart calls the shots - not the bands or record labels.

If you want some Wal-Mart enlightenment, rent this movie: http://www.walmartmovie.com/

You can get it from Netflix or any Blockbuster. My days of shopping at Wally World are fortunutely over.
__________________
Shane Fowlkes
Just Drums, Five-Star Shop
http://www.JustDrumsOnline.com
804.794.1667
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 AM
drumguyfromWI's Avatar
drumguyfromWI drumguyfromWI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 288
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
If i was a member of ACDC (or any other successfull band for that matter) I wouldn't care about sales or my album, it's about the music, not the money.
if only more famous musicians would remember that...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Drummist222 Drummist222 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 85
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
p.s. I just checked iTunes and there are 160 AC/CD songs there by various artists, so at least in time they are selling the rights to their music.
Actually, AC/DC can't prevent other artists from covering their songs and then doing whatever they like with them, unless the songs have never been released. I'm sort of ambivalent about Wal-Mart: they clearly have some malicious business practices, but they're also going green and they're probably good for the economy. However, I don't think I'd ever do an exclusive deal with them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 AM
junglelord's Avatar
junglelord junglelord is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 482
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

I believe it was the Howard Stern Interview, but I heard yesterday, while watching interviews with brian and angus, that the deal is not their idea, its a presentation via record companies, wal-mart, and marketing.

The deal was walmart buys 3 millions copies themself.
The buyer saves quite a bit, AC/DC is guarenteed 3million minimum sales on first press.
The offer to say no, is probably no really there, so what they have to do is work out the best deal for everyone.

They stated they felt everyone was a winner.
I know I enjoyed paying only $12
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

First of all, you guys are pretty off base about Wal*Mart policies in general. Yes, they do some of the stuff mentioned at some stores, but as a whole, the company is not the evil devil that some make it out to be. That Wal*Mart Movie has been shot to heck by experts...all the examples in it are real, but most deal more with local stores that break laws/subvert the intent of the law, than the actual company. When you have as many stores as Wal*Mart, you will have bad managers at some. I know about a dozen people who work at Wal*Mart, both as clerks and in management. They all have awesome benefits, comparable to what state workers make in PA (which are some of the best benefits out there). My one friend needed massive surgeries on her arms, and her mom works at Wal*Mart, and it was ALL covered under their insurance. There are a lot of misconceptions about Wal*Mart...even look at what zambizzi said, about "reading somewhere that artists have to deal exclusively with Wal*Mart, or not be sold there." Clearly that's not true...I have bought plenty of CDs there, as diverse as Miles Davis and The Dave Matthews Band. Obviously neither of those artists have an exclusive deal with Wal*Mart, but are sold there. But rumors like this get out there, and then people think poorly about the company, when it's just not true.

As far as the exclusive deals are concerned, it makes sense for some artists. Most music stores are targeted at younger audiences, and charge more while paying the artist very little, if anything at all, in royalties. While this may be ok for a Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, or others who aim at the younger market, for classic rock stars, aiming at adults, it doesn't make sense to bend over backwards for these companies and get so little in return. It is estimated that as high as 75% of American adults go to Wal*Mart at least once a year, so it's not like you aren't putting you record where the people are. Because of their size, and because of making an exclusive deal, Wal*Mart is able to pay the artist more per copy sold, thus the artist profits more, Wal*Mart profits, so both parties are happy. For those who don't live near a Wal*Mart, they sell them online, and even with shipping, it's still cheaper than somewhere like an FYE, so in the end, everyone wins except for the retailer who is trying to rip the artist off.
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 PM
ZootELoops's Avatar
ZootELoops ZootELoops is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 192
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
p.s. I just checked iTunes and there are 160 AC/CD songs there by various artists, so at least in time they are selling the rights to their music.
The way I understand it, ANYONE can re-record and release a song without the original artist's permission (as I heard from a Paul Anka interview about his 2005 album of cover tunes). If you want to use the ORIGINAL version, you need permission (as is the case with Guitar Hero/RockBand tracks or any movie soundtracks).
So that's why you will see their songs by other artists on iTunes.
__________________
Save a Drum - Bang a Drummer!
Mapex Saturn Studio - Mango Burst
Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
huge huge is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
Bingo. We have a winner. Wal-Mart calls the shots - not the bands or record labels.

If you want some Wal-Mart enlightenment, rent this movie: http://www.walmartmovie.com/

You can get it from Netflix or any Blockbuster. My days of shopping at Wally World are fortunutely over.
Just posting these videos as counterpoint to the Walmart Movie.

Penn & Teller BS episode re: Walmart (language NSFW, so wear headphones ;) )

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGb9OLqsvV8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzV0L-f1Fdk
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqp5KTygcog

Back on topic, Walmart's the largest retailer in the USA, if not the world. Why wouldn't ACDC (or anybody for that matter) bend over backwards to get their product carried by them?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyfromWI View Post
if only more famous musicians would remember that...
Indeed
020202020022
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

*LIMEWIRE*....trying to protect music rights these days is like curing the big "C"...

I love limewire btw....sorry to all the hardworking bands that cant do anything about it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Just Drums's Avatar
Just Drums Just Drums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 944
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
First of all, you guys are pretty off base about Wal*Mart policies in general. Yes, they do some of the stuff mentioned at some stores, but as a whole, the company is not the evil devil that some make it out to be. That Wal*Mart Movie has been shot to heck by experts...all the examples in it are real, but most deal more with local stores that break laws/subvert the intent of the law, than the actual company. When you have as many stores as Wal*Mart, you will have bad managers at some. I know about a dozen people who work at Wal*Mart, both as clerks and in management. They all have awesome benefits, comparable to what state workers make in PA (which are some of the best benefits out there). My one friend needed massive surgeries on her arms, and her mom works at Wal*Mart, and it was ALL covered under their insurance. There are a lot of misconceptions about Wal*Mart...even look at what zambizzi said, about "reading somewhere that artists have to deal exclusively with Wal*Mart, or not be sold there." Clearly that's not true...I have bought plenty of CDs there, as diverse as Miles Davis and The Dave Matthews Band. Obviously neither of those artists have an exclusive deal with Wal*Mart, but are sold there. But rumors like this get out there, and then people think poorly about the company, when it's just not true.

As far as the exclusive deals are concerned, it makes sense for some artists. Most music stores are targeted at younger audiences, and charge more while paying the artist very little, if anything at all, in royalties. While this may be ok for a Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, or others who aim at the younger market, for classic rock stars, aiming at adults, it doesn't make sense to bend over backwards for these companies and get so little in return. It is estimated that as high as 75% of American adults go to Wal*Mart at least once a year, so it's not like you aren't putting you record where the people are. Because of their size, and because of making an exclusive deal, Wal*Mart is able to pay the artist more per copy sold, thus the artist profits more, Wal*Mart profits, so both parties are happy. For those who don't live near a Wal*Mart, they sell them online, and even with shipping, it's still cheaper than somewhere like an FYE, so in the end, everyone wins except for the retailer who is trying to rip the artist off.
When it's a Wal-Mart promotion, they call the shots. Not all artists and Cds fall under this, just certain ones they decide to promote...and assuming the record label goes along with it. The artists themselves have very little say in it. It's a shame really. If I'm not mistaken, the Eagles had a similar Wal-Mart only promotion a few years ago....

Anyways...it's all good. Back on subject.
__________________
Shane Fowlkes
Just Drums, Five-Star Shop
http://www.JustDrumsOnline.com
804.794.1667
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
PQleyR's Avatar
PQleyR PQleyR is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Godalming, UK
Posts: 2,269
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootELoops View Post
The way I understand it, ANYONE can re-record and release a song without the original artist's permission (as I heard from a Paul Anka interview about his 2005 album of cover tunes). If you want to use the ORIGINAL version, you need permission (as is the case with Guitar Hero/RockBand tracks or any movie soundtracks).
So that's why you will see their songs by other artists on iTunes.
No, you have to pay a percentage of the royalties to the original writer OR the owner of the writer's rights, which will probably be a publishing company. The Verve got into huge trouble for not getting the publisher's permission for a string arrangement of the vocal line from a rolling stones song, which resulted in the stones getting all the money from the song (a huge hit), and even accepting an award for a song they hadn't actually written!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: AC/DC Marketing

Well, my family is not fond of Walmart so we almost never shop there. We probably go into a Walmart once every 3 years.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com