DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM

Default Chain vs Strap vs Direct drive pedals.

I want to upgrade to a double pedal and I can't decide on which drive type is better. The Gibraltar website describes it as something like this: Chain = Power, Direct = Speed, Strap = response(http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=intruder).
As drummer you want all three things. Any thoughts?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Chain vs Strap vs Direct drive pedals.

I think feel is most important. Get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Manufactures claim this, and that, and it's great if they provide "options", but what works "best" for you is all that really matters. I play both direct drive and chain drive right now. If I'm using a single (or two), I run my Yamaha FDDD(s). If I need a double pedal, I use my Off-Set center pedals http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3415_IMG.jpg Having owned, played, and retired many a pedal in 40+ years, I'm not so concerned with what "happens" in nano-seconds (turbopowerspeedglidevoodoo)....as long as the feel is good.

Last edited by harryconway; 10-27-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I've played all of them and I haven't noticed much of a difference. I used play chain drive for about 15 years and I changed to strap just because I got tired of getting machine oil on my hands during setup.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Well said, HC.

Play on some pedals and buy one that feels good.

I have an older Yamaha strap driven pedal that I will probably never get rid of. It's a good quality pedal that feels great. I've upgraded to a chain driven Pearl, but sometimes I still pull the Pearl off and play with the Yammie for a while, especially after playing hard for a long time and when my leg/ankle gets tired.

It could be that I played on it for ten years, and that's why I like it. Who knows.

The bottom line is that you need to sit in a drum store and run the pedal for about 15-20 minutes. Get a good feel for it. Keep track of what you like, and also keep track of *what* the pedal is - more than just the brand, take a look at the cam. Is it offset or centered? That makes a ton of difference. How about the size and angle of the footboard? Maybe you will like a longboard. Maybe not. You'll never know until you try it.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 AM

My local Guitar Center drum section manager brought a bunch of his own pedals in for us to try. Historically I played Speed King, then Ghost, PDP, and lastly the Tama Iron Cobra. I tried the Trick (great, maybe the best, but out of my price range), all the DW series, Yamaha, and the BOA.

Before playing the BOA, my favorite pedal had been the Iron Cobra for the price. I liked the Trick's fluidity (probably since it has the same drive philosophy as my first two pedals -- the SK and Ghost).

I can't say that the BOA doesn't rival the Trick! I play single pedal mostly (and fast) and when I found a BOA for a song on Ebay I jumped on it. I'll see how well it endures playing, but in my limited trial I was very impressed.

Ken in Florida
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

I think you will find that once you get used to it almost anything when adjusted correctly will do the job. That being said as is stated above try them out and see what you like.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site