DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Macbook, Motu 8pre, mics - then what?

Hi everyone!
I really want to start recording and composing music in my up and coming home recording studio. It won't be too fancy, but hopefully it'll do the trick.
I'm a complete beginner at this, but I have the following gear:

- Macbook 2,4 ghz, 2gb ram
- Motu 8pre audio interface
- Mics: Shure sm57, Audix D6 and 2x Studio Projects B1
- Cables + Stands
- Old school midi-keyboard

Now, I really want to be able to record good sounding drums + be able to compose and create music using a midi-controller and a good software with many possibilities.
Now I'm wondering - what gear do I need the most? Should I buy a software (I'm really thinking about Ableton Live), a new midi-keyboard or some studio-monitors?

I would really love to have a software where I could either record something using drums or midi-controller OR program it using music notes - is that possible? Without using the awfulsounding midi-sounds from for example Finale?

Okey, a bit too much information here, maybe! But please - help me out here, I just want to record AND compose music that is good sounding, with many sound possibilities!
Thank you guys so much for your help!

Zorlee...

PS: I might get a good deal on a pair of Alesis M1 MKII monitors - is this worth the investment? What say you? =)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Macbook, Motu 8pre, mics - then what?

The kit sounds good. Definitely. The 8Pre is a great interface and everything else is solid.

One slight concern. I'm not sure if the 8Pre is a firewire or USB interface. The new Macbooks don't have a firewire port, so just double check.

The Alesis monitors are OK, but if you can get a deal on anything slightly better it might be worth it. KRK make great monitors, as do Yamaha.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The kit sounds good. Definitely. The 8Pre is a great interface and everything else is solid.

One slight concern. I'm not sure if the 8Pre is a firewire or USB interface. The new Macbooks don't have a firewire port, so just double check.

The Alesis monitors are OK, but if you can get a deal on anything slightly better it might be worth it. KRK make great monitors, as do Yamaha.
Thanks man!
I own the "old" Macbook (just 5 months old, but still the white one WITH firewire, thank god! Haha!)
I've heard good things about the KRK monitors and Yamaha, I'll see what deal I can get on those.. Again, thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm considering a FirePod at some point (Firewire only) and was considering one of the new Macbooks, but put two and two together. Fortunately I have a wonderful 2 year old iMac (my workhorse, it's great) that does have Firewire 400 ports and after a RAM upgrade and 10.5.5 goes on here (after Christmas hopefully - but definitely in February) then I'm going to play around and see what I can get Interface-wise. I used to use the Moto 8Pre (and a Focusrite Sapphyre) at college and they were very good interfaces.

For the software I'd recommend Logic Pro 8 - it has a great sequencer and good audio recording facilities and is relatively cheap compared to other DAW software. Ableton is great for live sequencing and recording (as the name suggests) and I know people who prefer it as a DAW - personally I've never gotten to grips with it and I like Logic. But your options are very good.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 AM

I'm just wondering - do you know a program or a "ad-on" to say Logic or Ableton that lets me program stuff with the use of musical notes?
Like in Finale, only with good sounding midi-instruments?

But yeah, It's down to Logic or Live... I'll see! =)
I'm really glad that my Macbook has firewire 400, I think it's really typical Apple-ish-want-to-make-more-money move to ditch the firewire on the new Macbook... But you know, on the other hand I love my Mac, so, bah! hehe!
Why do you want to go with a Firepod, and not a 8pre? I know there's a little higher price on the 8pre, but I find that the ADAT option on the 8pre kind of makes up for it and more!
I'm just wondering - I also think the Firepod is great! :)
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

It's just the price really. I'm getting 1,000 scholarship from Uni next February and I need to make it stretch. I can't see myself using the ADAT option at all really.

There is a note editor in Logic, but I have no idea how good it is. I've never used it.