DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Remo emperor vs Evans EC2

Hey all!
Time to get new heads again! I play metal , and tbh metal only , so im after a nice 'thud' sound without many overtones at all. Atm i play on clear emperors , with moongel on both the batter and reso. Just wondering if you prefer Evans EC2 or Remo Emperor?
Cheers!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Remo emperor vs Evans EC2

i never had the emperor but i do have the ec2s and i gotta say they sound pretty good, ive had remo pinstripes on my old sound percussion kit and it sounded great so if you want a thud sound and nice focused sound, because it has that dampening ring...then definitely go for remo pinstripes.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums32 View Post
i never had the emperor but i do have the ec2s and i gotta say they sound pretty good, ive had remo pinstripes on my old sound percussion kit and it sounded great so if you want a thud sound and nice focused sound, because it has that dampening ring...then definitely go for remo pinstripes.
I am using the pinstrips and I love the sound they give...tune and play!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
I am using the pinstrips and I love the sound they give...tune and play!!!!
They were my favorite head for years and years until the quality control at Remo went down hill. You can still get good ones but I gave up on the gamble and sorting through the heads at the store. I like to be able to buy and go. Evans and Aquarian have outstanding quality from what I have experianced. To give my opinion, Emperors and EC 2 heads are both very good. I had to pick between the 2, I'd give the coated EC'2 a shot. My son has them on his Tama kit 12, 13 and 16. They are very round, punchy and loud sounding. I'd like to give them a shot on my Ddrum set, 14, 16 and 18. I have clear Emperors on my Tama set 10, 12 and 14 and they sound great. They have a nice snap and plenty of volume. Sorry if this responce sounds confusing. I would say go to Remo, Evans and Aquarians site and look the heads over and read their desciptions. That may help some if you haven't done that yet. If you are playing for yourself (not in a live band situation) the Aquarian Performance 2's are the way to go. They are designed for loose tuning. There are no overtones. Just a thud with some sustain. I have them on my Ddrum set. They are great for that classic low thud. If you are playing with a band, I wouldn't recommend them unless the drums are close micd. They won't cut thru the racket of a live band too well.

Last edited by wolfmoon; 11-20-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 PM

If you are currently using moongel,you need EC2's.
I have owned both, but prefer the slightly more open sound of Emperors.Like others have stated,I believe Evans to have better manufacturing oversight than Remo currently Just an opinion.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

I play regular heavy metal, and I prefer Remo Emperors.
Regular on the toms, and Emperor X on the snare.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. Tried the EC2, too much dampening for my taste
Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors. Tried the EC2, too much dampening for my taste
I just bought new heads not even a couple weeks ago but when I decide to try a new set of them, this is exactly what I'm going for.

I've heard many different drummers' kits and many recommendations of this pairing and it sounds excellent.