DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Default M birch gig kit

Just got these.. My first experience with Mapex drums..Not to be my last..I am hooked!
Best sounding kit for the money I have EVER owned or PLAYED!
Drums: Mapex M Birch in Black Forest Cherry..

Cymbals: Paiste PST 5, Alpha series
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Default Re: M birch gig kit

That looks nice indeed. I see your ride is on an inverted boom. You can turn the plastic sleeve over to make sure it stays where it belongs and keeps the metal from metal.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Thanks..very nice sounding kit! No metal to metal contact here. The wingnut is snugged up against the nylon sleeve.. It's not going anywhere. The thin felt on top is misleading..
Old 11-15-2008, 07:34 AM

Nice haircut, man.

Love the finish on that kit.

How do you like the PST 5s?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

The PST 5s are pretty righteous sounding for the small outlay! I got this kit kinda unexpectedly. I was forced to sell my other kit to pay some debt as I am a victim of the slumping economy. Sucked! Everything went! Drums, hardware, cymbals.. I was drumless with a huge comitment to play! A buddy of mine who had this MBirch, and has an Orion burlwood and Yamaha Tour Custom and a bunch of Paiste cymbals, saw my need and knew how it had crushed me to have to part with my kit. He offered this kit (6pc), all cymbals, hardware and the Paistes to me to use as long as I needed it. Pretty cool guy.! I got the kit cleaned up, as it hadn't been played in almost a year, set it up slapped on some better heads (Ec2s now), tuned 'em up and WOW! All the hype I had been hearing about these Mapex birch kits was true! This kit sounds great! I told my friend how much I was digging these drums and he offered to sell me the whole shebang at a real good price! I am a Mapex convert now..Oh sure..I still like Gretsch and Yamaha
drums..but there is really something special about this kit.. It not only sounds awesome, has an exceptional build, looks freakin' sweet..It has a real sentimental value that you really can't put a pricetag on. She will be mine forever.
Thanks for the haircut mention!!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:33 PM

i only have a mapex v series but i have played on m and pro m and i think saturn or orion? They are really great kits, nice kit mate :)
Old 11-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
The PST 5s are pretty righteous sounding for the small outlay! I got this kit kinda unexpectedly. I was forced to sell my other kit to pay some debt as I am a victim of the slumping economy. Sucked! Everything went! Drums, hardware, cymbals.. I was drumless with a huge comitment to play! A buddy of mine who had this MBirch, and has an Orion burlwood and Yamaha Tour Custom and a bunch of Paiste cymbals, saw my need and knew how it had crushed me to have to part with my kit. He offered this kit (6pc), all cymbals, hardware and the Paistes to me to use as long as I needed it. Pretty cool guy.! I got the kit cleaned up, as it hadn't been played in almost a year, set it up slapped on some better heads (Ec2s now), tuned 'em up and WOW! All the hype I had been hearing about these Mapex birch kits was true! This kit sounds great! I told my friend how much I was digging these drums and he offered to sell me the whole shebang at a real good price! I am a Mapex convert now..Oh sure..I still like Gretsch and Yamaha
drums..but there is really something special about this kit.. It not only sounds awesome, has an exceptional build, looks freakin' sweet..It has a real sentimental value that you really can't put a pricetag on. She will be mine forever.
Thanks for the haircut mention!!
Dude. You're friend is NICE.

That's an awesome kit, I love PST 5s. Pair an Aquarian Regulator with the Super Kick II and that thing will BOOM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHorndean View Post
i only have a mapex v series but i have played on m and pro m and i think saturn or orion? They are really great kits, nice kit mate :)
Whatta mean only a Mapex V? That is a nicely made and great sounding kit!
Thanks for the kind words...if it were not for my bud..I'd be playing some pawn shop special right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
Dude. You're friend is NICE.

That's an awesome kit, I love PST 5s. Pair an Aquarian Regulator with the Super Kick II and that thing will BOOM.
Yeah my bud is a really generous guy. I won't say what I am paying for this set..but I will say that he hooked me up bigtime! The kick with the SKII has a meaty punch..sounds great.. I'm just wondering how I can get more volume out of it. It's not as loud as I would like it to be.. I'm gonna look into different tunings on the kick as well as the Regulator reso head. The PST 5s are impressive..alittle on the overly (for me) high pitched side, but the hats are keepers. I am more of an Alpha guy. I have the Alpha 18" medium crash and the 8" thin splash and those cymbals have a really nice cutting power as well as more body and character than the PST 5s. The Alphas are also made from a higher grade of bronze alloy. The same alloy mix as the 2oo2 series. Really though, the PST 5s are very nice in their own right. Paiste makes the best IMO!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 AM

Congrats on the new M Birch, one of the kits with highest Q/P (quality to price) ratio. Is the kick 20" or 22"?

Do you use some kind of converter to mount the cymbal arm (for the ride) to fit the tom mount hole? AFAIK the cymbal holder's diameter is smaller than the tom holder's for 500 series hardware.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 AM

Sweet finish on that set.
Is there and advantage to inverting the cymbal stand, or just for looks?

Either way, nice set man.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

I am glad for you on many counts. I'm glad you have a buddy that was so willing to help you. I'm glad you are getting your "drum on." And I'm glad you fell in love with the Mapex. We've posted on each others stuff before, but you shared more of your story here. I'm glad to know things are improving for you. PM me when you go cymbal shopping. I have a few I can let go.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple kit user View Post
Congrats on the new M Birch, one of the kits with highest Q/P (quality to price) ratio. Is the kick 20" or 22"?
It's a 18x22" very meaty sound! Love it!!
Do you use some kind of converter to mount the cymbal arm (for the ride) to fit the tom mount hole? AFAIK the cymbal holder's diameter is smaller than the tom holder's for 500 series hardware.
Actually I am using the top 2 sections of a Premier stand, The larger diameter tube is a perfect fit in the kick drum reciever. I took the double tom holder and inserted it into the leftover tripod and use it to mount my 10" rack tom. The single holder that came with the kit for the 10' tom fits into a Mapex 550 boom stand and I have that set up to mount the 13" tom as a floor so it's 1 up, 2 down at present. 10",13"16"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
Sweet finish on that set.
Is there and advantage to inverting the cymbal stand, or just for looks?

Either way, nice set man.

Thanks..I'm really digging this kit! as for the inverted ride...
Well it does allow me to hover the ride low and flat over the kick. I have been mounting my cymbals (primarily the ride) like that for years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I am glad for you on many counts. I'm glad you have a buddy that was so willing to help you. I'm glad you are getting your "drum on." And I'm glad you fell in love with the Mapex. We've posted on each others stuff before, but you shared more of your story here. I'm glad to know things are improving for you. PM me when you go cymbal shopping. I have a few I can let go.
Thanks man! m Birch is a great kit! Mine are here for good. check PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 PM

I completely agree man, M Birch sounds absolutely fantastic for the money. I've got one now (see my sig!), and I'll keep it forever. There's no way I'd ever sell my babies. Congrats on scoring such a huge deal!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexdrummer4life_08 View Post
I completely agree man, M Birch sounds absolutely fantastic for the money. I've got one now (see my sig!), and I'll keep it forever. There's no way I'd ever sell my babies. Congrats on scoring such a huge deal!
Thanks Md4l.. Here I am with my babies!! * DUDE YOUR KIT IS...IS...IS...WOW! I miss my K zildjians now!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM

Haha thanks man. Good to see another drummer rockin it out for the Lord! And yes, I would never ever get rid of my Zildjian K's. I love 'em!