DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 AM
trkdrmr

Default Why am I listening to this?...discoveries

As I have mentioned in other threads, my best buddy while I am deployed is my creative Zen X-fi and a set of Bose over the ears headsets. For $139, the Bose do a great job of delivering decent fidelity and low end, while being pretty good at isolating the listener from outside noise. I am considering a set of Denon AH-7000 earphones with the mahogany ear cups. They are about $550.

The other day, I was provided with digital versions of Slipknot "Disasterpeices" video and "All hope is gone" audio.

I am an eclectic guy, but approaching mid 40's and soon to retire from active duty. I am not part of the mosh pit crowd. I am too old for that. I don't do "cookie monster" music. It doesn't speak to me, it's just too harsh for me. But I think with Slipknot I found my boundaries. I mean that in a good way.

I was in that "Geeze that was a long day" mode just before you pass out on your cot and I decided to give slipknot a try. I listened to a lot of the material before dozing off.

I get up the next day, and I realized that I could understand most of the lyrics (not usually possible with the cookie monster stuff) and I was completely impressed by Joey's drumming. His speed, power and stamina are amazing. I love the sound of his kit(s) both OCDP and Pearl. I am revisiting this music today and there is quite a bit of it I really enjoy. There is a certain anger they express. Sure it's crude, rude and obnoxious but they would not be the 1st band I discovered this way and initially asked myself "Why am I listening to this?"

I don't know if any of you have had moments like this...but it's more that just discovering someone new. It's someone I'd normally not listen to. Now I'm a fan, and I make no qualms about liking Slipknot. Now I am checking out "Stained" and "The best of Blink 182." I probably would not have listened to them had I not been in this situation.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why am I listening to this?...discoveries

I had the same type of moment with Slipknot back in 2005. On a whim, I bought the "Disasterpieces" DVD just to see what this band was about. Half way through the DVD I was a new fan. I think the song "Disasterpieces" is what sold me. Now, 3 years later I have every cd and every DVD. I am 31 years old and Slipknot is on constant rotation on my cd player and computer.

I have been criticized by many for my enjoyment of such music. I just tend to think to myself.. "They don't get it." They don't have to. I do get it, I do get what Slipknot is conveying and I enjoy the amazing musicianship amongst the members. Another notable mention is that the band members are in thier mid 30's some might even be pushing 40. So who is to say that one is too old for angry and aggressive music?

Slipknot has 9 members and since its beginning there has not been one change in a member. That is worth mentioning.

If you like Slipknot, give "Stone Sour" a listen. Corey Taylor (Slipknot's Vocalist) and Jim Root (Slipknot's Guitarists) are members, and it's anything but a Slipknot side project. I tend to think that Stone Sour is Slipknot's alter ego and less angry side.

Glad you enjoyed what you heard.

Now for a moment of Zen.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I had the same type of moment with Slipknot back in 2005. On a whim, I bought the "Disasterpieces" DVD just to see what this band was about. Half way through the DVD I was a new fan. I think the song "Disasterpieces" is what sold me. Now, 3 years later I have every cd and every DVD. I am 31 years old and Slipknot is on constant rotation on my cd player and computer.

I have been criticized by many for my enjoyment of such music. I just tend to think to myself.. "They don't get it." They don't have to. I do get it, I do get what Slipknot is conveying and I enjoy the amazing musicianship amongst the members. Another notable mention is that the band members are in thier mid 30's some might even be pushing 40. So who is to say that one is too old for angry and aggressive music?

Slipknot has 9 members and since its beginning there has not been one change in a member. That is worth mentioning.

If you like Slipknot, give "Stone Sour" a listen. Corey Taylor (Slipknot's Vocalist) and Jim Root (Slipknot's Guitarists) are members, and it's anything but a Slipknot side project. I tend to think that Stone Sour is Slipknot's alter ego and less angry side.

Glad you enjoyed what you heard.

Now for a moment of Zen.
In another thread, I asked about metronomes, and decided on a Tama rhythm watch. I will be putting it to good use psyching out how many BPM Joey is playing. His playing represents the fastest I'd ever care to play and still be able to fit it into music. (At least any music I could listen to) I know Joey uses his iron cobras with the beater pretty close to the drumhead so it doesn't have a long rebound/recovery.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRaiPCFTw-0
Just discovered this yesterday. Being a metal-head I have never been into folk, bluegrass, or any kind of psychobilly stuff but this band just caught my attention. I cant stop listening to it!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

I listen to anykind of music from jazz to death metal. You don't have to be a headbanger or a mosher to be a metal fan. They new album is amazing.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 AM
trkdrmr

They held a bazaar on base this weekend. That means: pirated movies, mp3 music and Oriental rugs, blankets and crafts.

I picked up 4 mp3 compilation cd's. Each one had mp3's up to 9 albums sampled at 320k.

For $13.00 I bought:

Lacuna coil (Italian gothic metal with a hottie female vocalist)
Mudvayne
311 (An eclectic punk sound)
Slipknot- all cd's except newest "All hope is gone" which I have anyway.

So far, they *all* sound cool.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstsbtsb View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRaiPCFTw-0
Just discovered this yesterday. Being a metal-head I have never been into folk, bluegrass, or any kind of psychobilly stuff but this band just caught my attention. I cant stop listening to it!
You just like the stop-motion music video, silly. I want a skull mask like the drummer. Then I'd be cool. What a modest kit he plays! The lyrics are creeping me out.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
They held a bazaar on base this weekend. That means: pirated movies, mp3 music and Oriental rugs, blankets and crafts.

I picked up 4 mp3 compilation cd's. Each one had mp3's up to 9 albums sampled at 320k.

For $13.00 I bought:

Mudvayne

Yep it's all good stuff.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Same thing for me listening to Lil' Wayne's tha carter III. Never liked hip-hop and yet I found myself enjoying some of the songs on a mainstream hip hop album... go figure.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
trkdrmr

I have noticed slipknot's gradual improvement. I prefer thier newer efforts (post 1999) much more than anything preceding. It's like they got musically smarter and slicker.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

I felt that way about Tool. I was on board since Undertow. I just liked the heavy groove on Prison Sex, Sober, etc. Just liked listening to it. Then, Aenima, then Lateralus, then 10,000 days. I even saw them live in 2002 and the most notable thing was the fact that Maynard never faced the crowd.

Then I saw them in May 07 and was blown away. I listened to all of Tool's stuff but never heard any of it. Since that show, I revisited every track on every album and have a new appreciation for the intricacies of the arrangements and the incredibly interesting lyrics - which range from silly (Hooker With a Penis), poignant (Right In Two), and even blasphemous (Eulogy). But they move me. All of it. I now hold Tool in the highest regards. They went from a band that I liked listening to and are now a band that I borderline venerate. It just took some time.

It's funny you mention slipknot, because I like Duality and Before I Forget but am about to get my first slipknot albums on iTunes. So, at 32, I am kinda in the same boat.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have noticed slipknot's gradual improvement. I prefer thier newer efforts (post 1999) much more than anything preceding. It's like they got musically smarter and slicker.
Very true, though I feel that "Volume 3" was a little out of place and sounded a little forced. "All Hope Is Gone" is right on point and a polished product from beginning to end and I feel it is thier best album to date when it comes to quality of musicianship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I felt that way about Tool. I was on board since Undertow. I just liked the heavy groove on Prison Sex, Sober, etc. Just liked listening to it. Then, Aenima, then Lateralus, then 10,000 days. I even saw them live in 2002 and the most notable thing was the fact that Maynard never faced the crowd.

Then I saw them in May 07 and was blown away. I listened to all of Tool's stuff but never heard any of it. Since that show, I revisited every track on every album and have a new appreciation for the intricacies of the arrangements and the incredibly interesting lyrics - which range from silly (Hooker With a Penis), poignant (Right In Two), and even blasphemous (Eulogy). But they move me. All of it. I now hold Tool in the highest regards. They went from a band that I liked listening to and are now a band that I borderline venerate. It just took some time.

It's funny you mention slipknot, because I like Duality and Before I Forget but am about to get my first slipknot albums on iTunes. So, at 32, I am kinda in the same boat.
AMEN! Tool is a band that he should definately give a serious listen to.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Very true, though I feel that "Volume 3" was a little out of place and sounded a little forced. "All Hope Is Gone" is right on point and a polished product from beginning to end and I feel it is thier best album to date when it comes to quality of musicianship.
Bleh. I see what people mean about the musicality, I recognise that these are good catchy, well written songs. But for me this is not the sound/attitude I enjoyed from Slipknot in the first place. The newer songs seem to be angry in a different way; kind of emo, and pretty soppy. Whereas the old stuff was very much a cry out at everything that could get someone down given the lifestyle some of the guys had lead.

Each to his own though, Stonesour FTW.

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Bleh. I see what people mean about the musicality, I recognise that these are good catchy, well written songs. But for me this is not the sound/attitude I enjoyed from Slipknot in the first place. The newer songs seem to be angry in a different way; kind of emo, and pretty soppy. Whereas the old stuff was very much a cry out at everything that could get someone down given the lifestyle some of the guys had lead.

T

Yes, nothing can compare to the first two albums that Slipknot released. I have a hard time deciding between the "Self Titled" and "Iowa" for a favorite. Each one has its own unique sense of anger that you can definately identify with and the aggressive playing is very raw and splits ones soul. As we know though, as bands get older they tend to get softer and more melodic, but Slipknot still brings the noise after this many years. Not many bands do it, and do it WELL to boot.

Something I have wondered... will new Slipknot fans appreciate the old stuff? That has yet to be determined, but trkdrmr seems to enjoy it.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

I recently came across something likably bizarre at http://www.myspace.com/panandthegoddamns. I wish they had a CD to buy.

"Writing songs is like rolling a smoke in the back of a pickup, you have to do whatever is necessary to accomplish the mission. Sometimes there's no wind behind the cab and it's as easy as pie. Other times it's raining and the wind is whipping you around. Sometimes there's too many people on board to even reach the pouch ... At times I feel as though I have to dig to the core of the earth with my hands to get a song out. And then there's those surprising times when a songs falls out of your pocket and you just pick it up and it's there. Those are the best."
Old 11-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

T
Ah. I love their new album.Lyrics don't really bother me, I've never gave a rats rear end about lyrics. I listen to the music.

But, whatever.

It's good to see someone NOT a Slipknot hater.
But, check out bands like Trivium and Shadows Fall, very very good bands.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 AM

trkdrmr, you're listening to it because it resonates with you and you like it. You don't have to explain that to anyone - especially at your age. Metal has been around long enough, at this juncture in history, that it's not just for "kids" for anymore.

I'm 41 and I listen to Lamb of God and System of a Down and whole lot of other stuff. I have one Slipknot album: Subliminal Verses. I like it enough to respect them as a band, but to be honest it doesn't get that much play in my car (which is my metal sanctuary.)

BTW, I love the term "cookie monster music." That's classic. There is some extreme metal out there that I just don't get, and it may just be that I am too old. Or it may just be that at my age I have a discriminating ear. I don't know.

I cannot and do not listen to the hard stuff all the time. But when I get in the mood for it... I let it rock. I'm past the point of caring who understands and who doesn't. There is a certain itch way down deep that only metal can scratch. I like it and it's part of who I am.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 AM

Hey old man, if you want to hear a good sampling of cutting edge metal, try: http://www.chronixradio.com/

Turn it up.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
Hey old man, if you want to hear a good sampling of cutting edge metal, try: http://www.chronixradio.com/

Turn it up.

I'll have to save the link for future reference, it's blocked here, as is the logo image. I have xm/sirius in my car and do listen to "hardattak" now and again when I'm home.

I thought slipknot was an interesting choice, because I read all of the hatred aimed at them. There are much worse bands out there that get praised. But like you say, real men listen to what they want to and don't need to explain it.

I am listening to Shakira atm. ;)
Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the link m1ck, thats a great station.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'll have to save the link for future reference, it's blocked here, as is the logo image. I have xm/sirius in my car and do listen to "hardattak" now and again when I'm home.

I thought slipknot was an interesting choice, because I read all of the hatred aimed at them. There are much worse bands out there that get praised. But like you say, real men listen to what they want to and don't need to explain it.

I am listening to Shakira atm. ;)
ONG I love Hardattak!!! Sirius 27.

Or should I say now...Liquid Metal .
What a retarded name...luquid metal, I mean come on.

Heaviest music on or off the radio? What happened to heavist music on or off the planet?

But, all in all, it's good that your not trapped in a narrow minded state. Opening up and listening to differant things is fun.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Shadows fall is amazing. Give them a listen.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

For $13.00 I bought:

Mudvayne

I watched LC the other day actually they were supporting bullet for my valentine and the other support bands were "bleeding through" and some 15 year old kid who's balls haven't dropped yet, i think he was called "black tide" or something. Apart from that they were all really good bands, i think bfmv must be my favourite band at the moment, dunno if you'd like them but you might do.

In terms of headphones though i think those bose things are a bit of a rip-off when for about $50 you can get a pair of vic firth drummer earphones which isolate you from the outside without any clever phase cancellation crap or whatever it is that it uses, just another unessisary power using thing to break as far as i'm concerned. As for the mahogany covered earphones sounds intresting but $550 is some serious cash to lay on a pair of headphones, as far as i'm concerned they would have to either have some serious isolation properties or just be a pair of hellishly good sounding headphones if i was even going to think of putting that sort of money on a pair.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I watched LC the other day actually they were supporting bullet for my valentine and the other support bands were "bleeding through" and some 15 year old kid who's balls haven't dropped yet, i think he was called "black tide" or something. Apart from that they were all really good bands, i think bfmv must be my favourite band at the moment, dunno if you'd like them but i think they're pretty good.

In terms of headphones though i think those bose things are a bit of a rip-off when for about $50 you can get a pair of vic firth drummer earphones which isolate you from the outside without any clever phase cancellation crap or whatever it is that it uses, just another unessisary power using thing to break as far as i'm concerned. As for the mahogany covered earphones sounds intresting but $550 is some serious cash to lay on a pair of headphones, as far as i'm concerned they would have to either have some serious isolation properties or just be a pair of hellishly good sounding headphones if i was even going to think of putting that sort of money on a pair.

Dude Black Tide is great, none of them are even 20 and they played at Ozzfest (have to be 21 or over to play there). So what if their young, they're not bad.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Dude Black Tide is great, none of them are even 20 and they played at Ozzfest (have to be 21 or over to play there). So what if their young, they're not bad.
I know it's not about age and i see that they're good musically but i just really don't like the melodies or his voice at all, sounds like mickey mouse or something.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Ah. I love their new album.Lyrics don't really bother me, I've never gave a rats rear end about lyrics. I listen to the music.

But, whatever.

It's good to see someone NOT a Slipknot hater.
But, check out bands like Trivium and Shadows Fall, very very good bands.
Well I could have done without the lyrics, but the music has changed definitely. Slipknot seemed to think the last album would be their heaviest album to date. Two words: "Snuff" and "no".

I've listened to heavy metal for almost a decade now, I've heard Trivium and Shadows fall. Shadows fall are okay, but Trivium are just completely ripping everyone else off these days, to a point where I just can't stand it whether the songs are good or not. I'm more into Carcass, Morbid Angel, The Berzerker, Slayer. Loads of thrash and stuff, some stuff like old Slipknot, Lamb of God, Machine head. I like loads of stuff, lots of it not metal too.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I watched LC the other day actually they were supporting bullet for my valentine and the other support bands were "bleeding through" and some 15 year old kid who's balls haven't dropped yet, i think he was called "black tide" or something. Apart from that they were all really good bands, i think bfmv must be my favourite band at the moment, dunno if you'd like them but you might do.

I found the bose in the military exchange for $135, they are passive, they don't have the active noise cancellation. If I were to fork over $350+ for heaphones they's be senn's or Denon A-7000's with the mahogany ear cups.

For the money, the bose have decent, not stellar fidelity. I have heard much worse costing much more. But I am not a big Bose fan either way. I will have to try the Vic Firth when I get back to the world.

"balls haven't dropped yet" bahahahah..... boy metal band....
Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well I could have done without the lyrics, but the music has changed definitely. Slipknot seemed to think the last album would be their heaviest album to date. Two words: "Snuff" and "no".

I've listened to heavy metal for almost a decade now, I've heard Trivium and Shadows fall. Shadows fall are okay, but Trivium are just completely ripping everyone else off these days, to a point where I just can't stand it whether the songs are good or not. I'm more into Carcass, Morbid Angel, The Berzerker, Slayer. Loads of thrash and stuff, some stuff like old Slipknot, Lamb of God, Machine head. I like loads of stuff, lots of it not metal too.
Thats like me. I used Trivium & Shadows Fall for an example.

I am a die hard thrash/speed metal fan. I love every type of metal but thrash is my #1.
I absolutely LOVE bands like Machine Head, Slayer, Anthrax, Municipal Waste, EVILE (they are amazing, give them a check) Sepultura, Lamb of God, Death Angel (give them a check too, good underground thrash band) and so on.

I've been into metal since like, ever. I'm 19 and I got into Metallica at like 5 years old. My first concert was Iron Maiden at either 7-9. Metal is like my blood. I need it to survive. Sure I listen to other stuff, but yeah.

Anyway, getting back to topic.

Check out any metal bands you want. Trust me, you can get alot better than Slipknot. Sure their great, but their over commercialized. Give Devildriver, Machine Head, Children of Bodom, Lamb og God and bands like them out. Bit heavier than most are used to, but so what? Whats wrong with "cookie monster" vocals? Once you get used to them you can understand them quite well. People diss you for being a metal head? So what, what do they know?

Also, if you want a sick drummer who is like 1000x better than Joey, look at the band Divine Heresy. Tim Yeung is amazing.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:02 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Check out any metal bands you want. Trust me, you can get alot better than Slipknot. Sure their great, but their over commercialized. Give Devildriver, Machine Head, Children of Bodom, Lamb og God and bands like them out. Bit heavier than most are used to, but so what? Whats wrong with "cookie monster" vocals? Once you get used to them you can understand them quite well. People diss you for being a metal head? So what, what do they know?

Also, if you want a sick drummer who is like 1000x better than Joey, look at the band Divine Heresy. Tim Yeung is amazing.
The metal/thrash drummers I am most familiar with:
Joey
Scott Travis
Jason Bittner
Chris Adler
Dave Lombardo
Thomas Haake
Flo Mounier
Anders Johanssen (sic?)
Gene Hoglan
Charlie Benante
Brann Dailor
Raymond Herrera
EDIT: how could I forget Vinnie Paul oops. Just listening to pantera this morning.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 11-28-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thats like me. I used Trivium & Shadows Fall for an example.

I am a die hard thrash/speed metal fan. I love every type of metal but thrash is my #1.
I absolutely LOVE bands like Machine Head, Slayer, Anthrax, Municipal Waste, EVILE (they are amazing, give them a check) Sepultura, Lamb of God, Death Angel (give them a check too, good underground thrash band) and so on.

I've been into metal since like, ever. I'm 19 and I got into Metallica at like 5 years old. My first concert was Iron Maiden at either 7-9. Metal is like my blood. I need it to survive. Sure I listen to other stuff, but yeah.

Anyway, getting back to topic.

Yeah Tim is pretty intense. I love the video of him playing with nile taken from side stage. It's just, awesome. I like his playing because he's not over-playing like so many in his genre are. I think Kollias is pretty awesome, but on some songs he just plays too much.

And yeah, everyone check out all the above bands.

T

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Pantera. I hate screamed vocals...But...I dunno, I'm just listening to it without enjoying it or not enjoying it.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Ha ha, the last time this happened to me, I found Dead Can Dance. I remember being in my buddy's dad's car, and he was playing hippity-hop, much to our displeasure. Then he turned it to "The Carnival is Over". I was surprised by this music. I wasn't surprised because his dad had this music, but because I loved it! Ever since then, I have delved into other genres.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Pantera. I hate screamed vocals...But...I dunno, I'm just listening to it without enjoying it or not enjoying it.
I acquired a taste for pantera based on the groove elements that Vinnie Paul incorporated into his brutal playing. Instead of just a monotonous series of triplets, he swings a bit and that sets panteras stuff apart from other gargle with gravel stuff. Not to mention Dime's great work.