DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-13-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Clear Ec1's over Coated G1's

does anyone think it will sound good on a birch set? i am hesitant about spending lots of money to experiment. but what do you think it will sound like. i imagine it to be a very warm sound
Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Clear Ec1's over Coated G1's

Don't buy heads for all your drums. Just get 1 head. I, typically, experiment on my 16" floor. If I like that sound, then the racks, and the 18, get the treatment. When I had my 14x10, that was my "test drum". To "warm up" a birch shell (I had a Yamaha Recording Custom kit), I stuck with a clear reso. (Ambassador) and worked with the batter head. Since I'm a Remo guy, I used Ambassador, Controller Sound, Powerstroke 3, and Emperor heads on that kit. I never did/have liked the Pinstripe head on a top quality wood shelled drum. Same with the Powerstroke 4. Just too much muffling, for my taste. What make/series kit do you have, and what heads are on it now?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM

just bought a yamaha stage custom from a friend. and i dont have it yet but i began thinking about heads i would like.

im an evans guy =D
Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 AM

I'm actually using the EC2 clears over Coated G1s right now. I've got an EC1 for my floor tom but I took it off coz I don't like the sound/response of the EC1 heads. The sound I get from the EC2/G1 coated mix is quite nice but they are hella damp, almost no overtones which I don't personally like.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 AM

hmm okay. i wanted to try out the EC1. ive seen the ec2 and idk. i just didnt suit me.

harryconway: when would a clear heard ever be warmer then a coated head? im not meaning to be rude. is there occasions when clear is warmer than coated? if so, thats somethign i wouldnt have guessed.

is clear over coated warmer or more focused ( or w.e adjective you please) than coated over clear? like if both heads were ambassadors. what would be the difference.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

The EC1s are excellent if you like sustain. (I do, and I need it for playing rock unmiked--sustain is what lets the toms be heard.)

Clears only, the Evans frosty "coating" just can't suck enough.

EC1s over coated G1s sounds like an odd combination. Might work, though.

Harry's idea is the way to go--try one set of heads on one drum. You'll get a fairly good idea of how a set of them will sound without having to lay out a lot of money.

But, I usually get heads for the 12" tom rather than a floor. Floors are sometimes odd creatures and I wouldn't necessarily want to base my decision on them.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

A coated G1 can be a decent reso head, although I prefer a clear G1 or a resonant head. But I would steer clear of the EC1 heads. The response just isn't very good, and they feel and sound choked to me.

My favorite batters are EC2 Clear for moderate to loud playing, and coated G2 in most other situations.

Bermuda
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
A coated G1 can be a decent reso head, although I prefer a clear G1 or a resonant head. But I would steer clear of the EC1 heads. The response just isn't very good, and they feel and sound choked to me.

My favorite batters are EC2 Clear for moderate to loud playing, and coated G2 in most other situations.

Bermuda
Must be a YMMV thing. The EC1s on my kid's kit (rock/prog music unmiked) sound fabulous. Nothing like choked, great stick response, great punch, quite open sounding for heads with the rings, very large dynamic range. Floor toms thunderous.

If you tried the "coated" that may be the issue.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

My kid has coated EC 2's on his set. They are not dead or choked or... anything even close to that. They are very round/full with more than enough sustain.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:35 AM

this is what i like to see... discussion =D

hmm well any of you got experience with good combos on birch sets?

im debating over whether i should go for coated g2's on batter instead. how much might it change the sound.