DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Mixing deck , questions!

Hey all! Im looking to buy some mics and a mixing deck for some home recordings.

1 ) With a mixer like this : http://www.behringer.com/MX2004A/index.cfm?lang=eng , it has 8 XLR connecters but it says it has 20 inputs. If the XLR connecters are used for mics , what are the other inputs used for?

2 ) Whats a preamp , and what do you need one for in regards recording?

3) With a mixing deck , can you ONLY plug mics into the XLR slots , or can you use the 1/4 inch jacks somehow?

Cool i hope you guys can help me out , will be much appreciated!
God bless
Bye!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Mixing deck , questions!

1. The 20 imputs are also:
the tape in (for example mp3 player input) and tape out (for recording devices or pc's)
There are 4 more channels for stereo jack input (1/4") So that adds 8 inputs and there are several others.
2. don't really know...
3. You can choose to plug in xlr or monojacks in the first 8 channels the other four are used as stereo jack inputs (can also be used as mono jack).

Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

From Wikipedia:

Acoustic sounds (such as voices or musical instruments) are often recorded with transducers (microphones and pickups) that produce weak electrical signals. These signals must be amplified to line level, where they are more easily manipulated by other devices such as mixing consoles and tape recorders. Such amplification is performed by a device known as a preamplifier or "preamp". After manipulation at line level, signals are then typically sent to a device known as a power amplifier, where they are amplified to levels that can drive headphones or loudspeakers, which convert the signals back into sounds that can be heard through the air.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM

I have a Behringer UB2222FX, and it certainly gets the job done... about $250 new if I remember correctly, its now replaced by the Xenyx series however, which are a little more expensive and have better preamps. I use this for live and recording purposes with up to 8 mics (plus other channels for ipod/computer/etc) and its great. Behringer makes pretty good, affordable products. Of course its not top of the line... but you get what you pay for.

As for other inputs, i have an ipod hooked up runnnig through one of the other channels into the 2 mono 1/4 jacks, and a computer on another channel, and a multi track output into the RCA ins. This is what other non-XLR channels can be used for.

You can buy cables that go from a mic to a 1/4 jack, but if you put them on the other channels (without XLR inputs), they will just be mono signals, and if you use them on a channel with an XLR input (using the 1/4 instead), its pointless because XLR cables and not as noisy as 1/4 cables for mics. As you increase the length of an unbalanced cable, you will just get more noise and hum. And you don't want to put two mics into one channel on the mixer, using both inputs.(XLR and 1/4)

With a mixer like this, the built-in preamps will do you fine for home recording. Good preamps are pretty expensive, and are just used to get superb sound quality, less noise, or more volume. And while you can use a preamp or effects processer through the mixer's inserts, its not necessary for what you are doing probably.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 PM

AMAZING responses guys thanks alot!

One more noobie question. If the mixer i purchase doesn't have a usb output , how can i get the recording from the mixer to the computer?
Thanks alot again!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 AM

Read as much as you can about this before going down this road. Straight USB has latency issues (a lag in recording).

It can be fun to learn or you may just want to pull your hair out! Depends on how you go into it I guess.

Behringer equipment is not very reliable… Just a warning.

Depending on what your recording (Drums?) and your expectations it can be very expensive after good mics, cables, etc…

An alternative may be a Zoom H4 or H2. I have the H2 and it does a surprisingly good job for 200 bucks!

This comes from a guy with high end equipment and mics. I have 7 or 8 grand invested!

Just an alternative.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 AM

You can either get a USB or Firewire interface or even PCI card that has either RCA inputs or line level inputs and just run your mixer out into this and into your computer... and yes USB does have lag issues, Firewire is better, and a PCI card is probably the best. I currently have a Zoom MRS-1608 multitrack, and a Lexicon Lambda USB interface, (I use both) and honestly I prefer computer based recording. Completely my opinion but its just easier for me to see the tracks and cut/edit/add effects and tempo changes to only parts where you want. Of course there are drawbacks of both, for example if you record your drums all into your computer from a mixer to USB interface, you cant go back and adjust volumes/EQ/effects for each individual mic afterwards, only the drumset track as a whole, so you gotta get it right the first time. The interface also gives me issues when i try to use the input monitoring in Sonar, there is pretty bad latency, however straight from the interface is okay. Of course this is running through a pretty crappy Dell Dimension computer... hopefully upgrading to a Macbook soon. Honestly I think it's all personal preference.. both can be frustrating at times.
I can get some sound clips up if you want, from both multi-track and computer recording, they both yield pretty good results in the end...

As for Behringer, I own this mixer and thats all from them. But so far its been great.. but it's true some of their products can be unreliable and from what I've heard their customer service is pretty bad. But as for my experience, it's been a pretty good little mixer.

What/how many mics are you using anyways?