DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 AM

Default Vic Firth Jazz Brush and Heritage Brush?

Hi,

I found my current no-brand brush too soft for playing in a church hall. I need something harder. Is it that the VF Jazz Brush has harder wire (the one with white metal handle) and the Heritage Brush (purple rubber handle one) has soft wire? My local store has the Jazz Brush in stock. The wire definitely feels harder.

And what is the significance of the triangular pull rod? I read on some site: "special triangular metal pull rod for versatility on the cymbals". I didn't know the pull rod can be used to hit the cymbals?

Oh, one more question. The Jazz Brush has a solid metal handle. Is it ok to use it for rim shot. Will it damage the rim?

Many thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Vic Firth Jazz Brush and Heritage Brush?

The Jazz Brush is the white plastic one with pretty heavy bristles. The Heritage brush has a rubber handle and lighter bristles. I have and use both myself. I prefer the quickness and smoothness of the heritage brush. The rubber handle allows you to do some cymbal rolls as well. The back loop on both brushes can be used for cymbal scrapes and taps for effects as well (either one is great). The jazz brush on the other hand is great for when you need a heavier sound or if you just like the heavy feel. Something more upbeat could benefit from the jazz brush, although it's harder to play faster with the added weight. Rimshots are possible with the plastic handle but I miss being able to roll on the cymbals with them like I can with the heritage brush. (I taped the back part of the handles so I can do both now with them). Actually the Steve Gadd brushes would be worth looking at too. They've got slightly curved bristles that don't get caught in the edges of the head as much (it feels like the heritage brush). I'd recommend getting both really, as they are different sounds.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
The Jazz Brush is the white plastic one with pretty heavy bristles.
Is the white handle plastic? Hmm... it felt and weighed like metal when I tried it at the shop... and I remember the handle had engraved texture...

Thanks for your input. :-)
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciomako View Post
Hi,

I found my current no-brand brush too soft for playing in a church hall. I need something harder. Is it that the VF Jazz Brush has harder wire (the one with white metal handle) and the Heritage Brush (purple rubber handle one) has soft wire? My local store has the Jazz Brush in stock. The wire definitely feels harder.

And what is the significance of the triangular pull rod? I read on some site: "special triangular metal pull rod for versatility on the cymbals". I didn't know the pull rod can be used to hit the cymbals?

Oh, one more question. The Jazz Brush has a solid metal handle. Is it ok to use it for rim shot. Will it damage the rim?

Many thanks.
I have both models but find myself using the Hertiage Brush (purple rubber handle) more than the jazz brush.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Pioneer Member

yes, it's quite plasticy I'm holding it now. It's heavy stuff (almost like a thin PVC pipe)