DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Your favorite band that never made it big... Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I think all of those are very well known bands.
Maybe well known to people like us, that actually make it a point to find new or different music, but to the "majority" they are mostly less than commonly known.
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the success that they ve achieved, but if you were to mention some of these bands at say a party or a "commercial" type concert, you d have alot of people scratching their heads and saying something like " Soooo are they like.. 3 Doors Down?, or more like Seether?" Know what I mean?

Porcupine Tree has been mentioned a few times and if you go to a site like Youtube, compare their view count to some of the other bands mentioned... Its kind of surprising that they re not played more, or more well known. Its the way that mass-marketed bands that are played out day after day have just been accepted by too many people that dont care enough about expanding their tastes, and are content to just listen to it, day in, day out, and when their favorite radio station execs think that the "sheep" are ready for a new flavor in their slop, they introduce it, play it alot, play it more and more, and continue to play it out until another similar song or band comes out, and they repeat the cycle.

Sorry for that huge run-on sentence, btw...

But you get my gist. Alot of the bands mentioned here are well-known, but have they really "made it big?" I ve said it before and I ll reiterate- I like the fact that alot of these bands arent household name-bands, It means that if they re still around, and still playing shows, I can still get a decent seat and I dont have to deal with the all the idiots that are there for the tailgating, or just there because its where everyone's friends are at...Like OzzFest, or Dave Matthews Band, or (damn, I just broke my cigarette, lol) what Lollapalooza was becoming.

For a quick example, I went to a Yes show a few years back, and the parking lot was empty. When we got in the venue, it was so empty that we were able to get the best seats because no one was there to argue with us. And Yes was a HUGE band back in the day. We went to the same venue(E- Center in Camden, NJ) a week or two later for DMB, it was the complete opposite. Same with OzzFest, the general behaviour of the crowd was so bad, we had to leave before something ended up happening. What does that say about concert-goers today? Sorry to whoop n holler, but I d like some of my favorite bands to stay alittle bit "under the radar" so to speak...sorry but so on and so forth, etc, etc, etc....: )
Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Razor, Rigor Mortis, Attacker,

all those underground thrash metal bands
Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Me and some guys from school had a band and we tried real hard.
Jimmy quit and Jody got married. Shoulda known we'd never get far.
LOL

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

If you live near Chicago, there are a huge number of jam bands in that music community and I think pretty much all of them have the right idea about how to play good music. Some that I like: Umphrey's McGee, Family Groove Company, 56 Hope Road
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Mother's finest had a great run but never really made "the show."
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 AM
michael drums

Band of a Thousand Names/Expensive Hobby

The one time bass player for Crack The Sky, Cary Zieglers' solo bands.

Local Baltimore band that STILL plays the local circuit as Expensive Hobby.

Excellent talent at every instrument, and highly recommended to see live.

Cary Ziegler - Extraordinary bass player! As good as there is.

Oh, and actually, Crack The Sky themselves really never made it as big as they should have. Really popular in the 70's and 80's along the east coast of the US, but not so much west of the Mississippi.

Really strange, 'cause these guys were incredible musicians, and put on monstrous shows live. And they STILL do live shows in the Maryland/Pennsylvania area. Original singer John Palumbo and guitarist Rick Witkowski, still with 'em.

;-)

Last edited by michael drums; 11-13-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 AM

King Crimson.....and, yes, I know they are "big," but it's amazing to me how many people have never even HEARD of them.

.....listen to King Crimson!