DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM

Default Roland E-Drums? TD-3KW

Hello!

Since my acoustic set is annoying everyone at home and I find it kind of loud too (even with headphones, the vic firth ones) I thought about buying an e-drum kit for practising.

Is the Roland TD-3KW the way to go?

Last edited by eu.sei; 04-07-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Roland E-Drums? TD-3KW

Yes it's definitely the way to go if you're looking just to practice and play with headphones. It's fine to play gigs with ( I own one) but I'd rather have a TD-6 just because it has a broader range of sounds and you can do more things with it. But I have been very pleased with my TD-3 kit. It's great!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 AM

Well, you've got several alternatives - the best of which are Roland or Yamaha. I have a TD-3S, which is perfect for my needs - quiet practice at home. I don't think I'd ever want to gig with an ekit, but I know there are lots of folks who do it very successfully - that's a matter of personal preference.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Roland E-Drums? t

Okay, and I mostly play latin and jazz-styles, does that work too? Using those crashes as a ride seems kind of weird.

Last edited by eu.sei; 04-08-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 PM

The Roland TD-3 is the best entry level electronic kit on the market for the price and can be bought used very reasonably, the sounds are excellent, and the drum pads, cymbals and brain module can also be upgraded in the future and are easily available.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM

The Roland TD3-KW is a really good kit for the price, but don't neglect playing acoustic drums because they are to loud: you may pick up some bad habits if you play entirely on an electric kit. :)
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Yes, I reccoment the Td-3, it's brilliant
Old 11-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu.sei View Post
Hello!

Since my acoustic set is annoying everyone at home and I find it kind of loud too (even with headphones, the vic firth ones) I thought about buying an e-drum kit for practising.

Is the Roland TD-3KW the way to go?
I bought one off craigslist back in May for $800 (including throne and pearl kick pedal). It's nice when my (guitarist) friend comes over, because he plugs into his amp and I run the drums and my macbook pro full of mp3s through a separate monitor. We can both play along to the tunes without cranking it up to full volume (as is the case with my acoustic kit). It also sounds really good with a set of isolation headphones. It's got a built in metronome and plenty of kit sounds to choose from. It's also got a very small footprint (smaller than my computer desk). I enjoy it very much.

It will never replace an acoustic kit - because it makes you think you are better than you really are, for instance, when you hit it, it makes a perfect sound every time - vs an acoustic kit that has different dynamics/feel. But like you, I have a need to practice quietly sometimes and the ekit fits the bill for me. I can only normally practice my acoustic kit on my days off while my neighbors are at work (usually thursdays/fridays between noon and 4pm) and even then, I really only try to play for an hour or two max. If it wasnt for my practice pad and ekit, I wouldnt get to play/pratice at all.