DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Big brother and little brother pics.

24" SE TW Jazz Ride 2534g and 22" SE TW Jazz Ride 2235g side by side.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-26-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

20" Azure ride 2035g

Front and back shots:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-26-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Epoch 3055g

Back and front:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 PM
KARL MEMBER

Stan, this Epoch looks fantastic! Not just your photos are amazing, the ride in general just looks beautiful, too.
I`m impressed by those Epoch rides as they sound quite thin and complex although they are quite heavy.

Nice photos!

Here`s a pic of my full Agop line-up at that trio recording session:

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Nice setup Karl from that very enjoyable recording of yours. Stiil lots of green label Sig, Mel Lewis and Turk love for me to go around too :}

Yup the Epoch ride just continues to impress me. Used it for a quartet concert yesterday and it recieved lots of attention from other drummers in attendance who came up to chat with me afterwards and comment and ask about what was that amazing sounding ride cymbal I was playing. Local sales of Epoch rides will be up I suspect :} Doesn't sound like any other 22" heavy ride i've heard or owned in some 30 odd years. Totally special sound Karl especially for an acoustic jazz setting.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

I just placed an order today with Heartbeat Percussion for a Mel Lewis (ML) 21" Ride - the one with two rivets. I've played the ML14 hats and the ML 1982 Series 18" CR Ride for a year now and they're pretty nice. You can get that nice full "sizzle-hiss" when you hit the hats and choke them off if you know what I mean.

I'll place a photo in this "thread-fest" when it arrives.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I just placed an order today with Heartbeat Percussion for a Mel Lewis (ML) 21" Ride - the one with two rivets. I've played the ML14 hats and the ML 1982 Series 18" CR Ride for a year now and they're pretty nice. You can get that nice full "sizzle-hiss" when you hit the hats and choke them off if you know what I mean.

I'll place a photo in this "thread-fest" when it arrives.
Great to hear Kona and enjoy! Love my Mel Lewis 2 rivet 21" ride with it's wonderful lush warm wash sound. I'll repost it's pic in anticipation of your new addition and arrival :}

Look forward to seeing a pic of your new Agop treasure.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-26-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Great to hear Kona and enjoy! Love my Mel Lewis 2 rivet 21" ride with it's wonderful lush warm wash sound. I'll repost it's pic in anticipation of your new addition and arrival :}

Look forward to seeing a pic of your new Agop treasure.
Thank's Steamer.
Noel at Heartbeat told me a little bit about your Istanbul collection - quite impressive! Good pix on your site too.
I'll PM you - I have a question related to drumming in the Lower Mainland.

Kona
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 PM

Did you guys notice the new AGOP logo in the latest issue of TRAPS?????
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Some AGOP love, set up on my Designers:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Nice Agop setup Snowdogyyz!

Yes I just heard about the new Agop logo but have not seen it yet. It's shown in an ad in the new Modern Drummer too I just heard yesterday. I'll check it out :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM

wow there are some of the most beautiful cymbals i have ever seen in this thread.

i especially liked the look of the 22" vezir ride that steamer posted...although i haven't heard many turkish cymbals live.

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but i see that most of these are used for jazz, and was wondering if any could be used in a rock setting, or would i have to go to the alchemy cymbals...but they don't look as nice as the agops imo
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums_n_surf View Post
wow there are some of the most beautiful cymbals i have ever seen in this thread.

i especially liked the look of the 22" vezir ride that steamer posted...although i haven't heard many turkish cymbals live.

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but i see that most of these are used for jazz, and was wondering if any could be used in a rock setting, or would i have to go to the alchemy cymbals...but they don't look as nice as the agops imo

I don't own a Vezir ride but you may be thinking about my 21" Ottoman Jazz ride at 1970g. Very rare specimen indeed this one you don't see very often from one the least talked about Istanbul Agop lines. I'll repost my pics of it for reference. This particular sample is a real oddball with it's light skim lathing on the bottom and it's partial bell hammering neither of which is in it's product description from Agop. A true rare bird with an amazing quality of a pronounced woody stick click sound for such a thin 21" cymbal.

As far as pop and rock most of the players around here use various cymbals from the Sultan, Traditional series lines and the new Azure line which are very popular at the moment with many players i've met. The heavy hitters are using Alchemy Pro line cymbals and other cymbals again from the little talked about sub- lines such as the heavy weight Pasha rides.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-26-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

thanks for the info steamer. Yeah that was the ride i was talking about. How do they make it so that half of its got a different finish? (how its shiny and then not shiny)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
thanks for the info steamer. Yeah that was the ride i was talking about. How do they make it so that half of its got a different finish? (how its shiny and then not shiny)
Glad it's the one you had in mind drums_n_surf .

It's the band style lathing that Agop uses on the top like you see on the Sultans that gives it it's unique visual appearence. Traditional style cymbal lathing in the outer and inner sections of the cymbal mixed with the raw appearence of the cymbal straight from the hand hammering room in the middle section combined with a unlathed bell on top. The bottom as with the top is completely hand shaped by hammer and again raw in appearence but with no inner or outer lathing patterns as seen on the top. The bottom is identical to a Turk ride but in this case this sample has some light skim lathing lines not known to be normally seen on the 21" Ottoman Jazz rides.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 11-08-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:25 PM

i love how all the cymbals are so unique, like how your 21" Ottoman Jazz Ride has light skim lathing lines on the bottom when its quite unusual for them to have it. I'd much rather have a cymbal that has been hand hammered and has a bit of individuality about it. However i am assuming that it means there is a larger variation in sound between each individual cymbal, isn't it?

Last edited by drums_n_surf; 11-08-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i love how all the cymbals are so unique, like how your 21" Ottoman Jazz Ride has light skim lathing lines on the bottom when its quite unusual for them to have it. I'd much rather have a cymbal that has been hand hammered and has a bit of individuality about it. However i am assuming that it means there is a larger variation in sound between each individual cymbal, isn't it?
Yes you will experience more sample to sample variation with hand shaped and hammered cymbals which just comes with individual character that comes with each cymbal right from casting, rolling, annealing and later the lathing {or no lathing} and how they are hammered slightly different by a real set of artisans along the production line.

Haven't heard a bad Agop yet after testing many samples they are just all different with their own unique personality and I just pick the ones that stand out and really "speak with a certain voice" for me within a certan size and product line.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogyyz View Post
Did you guys notice the new AGOP logo in the latest issue of TRAPS?????

Just saw it on pg. 131 in a full page ad in the Dec. Modern Drummer. The new logo is contained in a closed black line circle now with the Istanbul part removed being simply known as Agop now. New graphic design for the Agop logo too and around the bottom of the circle was written "handmade by Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk" I believe and the top "Made in Turkey" from memory

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 11-08-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just saw it on pg. 131 in a full page ad in the Dec. Modern Drummer. The new logo is contained in a closed black line circle now with the Istanbul part removed being simply known as Agop now. New graphic design for the Agop logo too and around the bottom of the circle was written "handmade by Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk" I believe and the top "Made in Turkey" from memory
And here it is. The new AGOP stamp and logo:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-25-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Pioneer Member

So what will this logo replace on the cymbals Stan? Surely not the "Istanbul" written across the top? I gotta say i don't think that will look the best...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
So what will this logo replace on the cymbals Stan? Surely not the "Istanbul" written across the top? I gotta say i don't think that will look the best...

This is the new pressed cymbal stamp Latin Groover from what I gather. I suspect the larger ink logo to be some kind of a variation on it {or the same?} since the cymbals will simply be known as AGOP in 09. We'll all have to wait till NAMM 09 to see how it appears as an actual ink logo on the cymbals {?}.

I like it and it will give a clear visual distinction what are Agop cymbals and since the factory in Istanbul. Turkey isn't moving to a new location anytime soon the removal of "Istanbul" from the stamp/logo is no big deal :}. No more mix up on is it a Istanbul Mehmet or a Istanbul Agop after a brief glance. The new logo still has "HANDMADE IN TURKEY" in it so I can certainly live with it :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
This is the new pressed cymbal stamp Latin Groover from what I gather. I suspect the larger ink logo to be some kind of a variation on it {or the same?} since the cymbals will simply be known as AGOP in 09. We'll all have to wait till NAMM 09 to see how it appears as an actual ink logo on the cymbals {?}.

I like it and it will give a clear visual distinction what are Agop cymbals and since the factory in Istanbul. Turkey isn't moving to a new location anytime soon the removal of "Istanbul" from the stamp/logo is no big deal :}. No more mix up on is it a Istanbul Mehmet or a Istanbul Agop after a brief glance. The new logo still has "HANDMADE IN TURKEY" in it so I can certainly live with it :}
Well if this logo is replacing the big pressed logo across the top...i don't like it. haha. I think it's far too petite, and not as eye-catching. I like the big "Istanbul" across the top, with AGOP underneath. Of course they are similar to Mehmet, with "Mehmet" simply replacing AGOP, but I don't think they need to change. The fact is they are two separate companies of the same history, why try the 'we are our own' road when it means this logo? Yes, they are their own company, but they don't need this logo to show that.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well if this logo is replacing the big pressed logo across the top...i don't like it. haha. I think it's far too petite, and not as eye-catching. I like the big "Istanbul" across the top, with AGOP underneath. Of course they are similar to Mehmet, with "Mehmet" simply replacing AGOP, but I don't think they need to change. The fact is they are two separate companies of the same history, why try the 'we are our own' road when it means this logo? Yes, they are their own company, but they don't need this logo to show that.

My guess is that Agop's 2 son's Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk felt the need for a strong identity to the current AGOP name and their products since the Istanbul Mehmet and Istanbul Agop big ink font types were nearly identical in visual appearence since 97. This desire for a new logo/stamp I can understand and since the handmade quality and location of where they are made will remain unchanged this "change" and new Agop identity going into 09 is just fine with me. Change is good :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
My guess is that Agop's 2 son's Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk felt the need for a strong identity to the current AGOP name and their products since the Istanbul Mehmet and Istanbul Agop big ink font types were nearly identical in visual appearence since 97. This desire for a new logo/stamp I can understand and since the handmade quality and location of where they are made will remain unchanged this "change" and new Agop identity going into 09 is just fine with me. Change is good :}
Yes, it was only a matter of time before one of the companies decided that the AGOP and Mehmet logos where too similar, but i'm just not a fan of the new design.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, it was only a matter of time before one of the companies decided that the AGOP and Mehmet logos where too similar, but i'm just not a fan of the new design.
Fair enough Latin Groover.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe they are tired of people assuming AGOP and Mehmet are one in the same because they both have Istanbul in the names. There is a lot of history there and they are ready to move on away from it. NAMM 2009 will have some other good things as well. I was going to attend, but now it looks like I will have to skip it this year.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

19" SE Jazz Ride 1682g

Front, back and profile:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 01-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:53 AM

Nice ride, Stan.

I really like the SEs in "smaller" sizes. I have two 20"- one at 1617g and the other at 1702g. Surprisingly strong stick at those weights.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
Nice ride, Stan.

I really like the SEs in "smaller" sizes. I have two 20"- one at 1617g and the other at 1702g. Surprisingly strong stick at those weights.
Thanks Bill and i'm now sold too on the smaller SE rides indeed as you've already discovered.

The stick sound truly is a real standout Bill over a very old Turkish K like vibe with a very under control dark wash. Incredible blend in actual music with other instruments as I discovered yesterday and WAY lower in pitch and darker than many would expect coming from a 19" 1682g ride cymbal. Great pie!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
19" SE Jazz Ride 1682g
As always it has a flat profile. A quite light SE!
I`d love to listen to it. I`m not used to ride cymbals smaller than 21" and I`m wondering how such a cymbal would work with my other pies.
I`m really flirting with those 20" SE Flatties though...moreover I really dig the SE hats as a contrast to my Turks...eventually. =)

What do you think?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
I`d love to listen to it. I`m not used to ride cymbals smaller than 21" and I`m wondering how such a cymbal would work with my other pies.
I`m really flirting with those 20" SE Flatties though...moreover I really dig the SE hats as a contrast to my Turks...eventually. =)

What do you think?

Karl

I think you would LOVE the sound of this 19" SE for acoustic jazz Karl. A little more in the way of sounds coming from it by having the bell combined with its flat profile. Has a certain flatride quality to the stick in the mix but with other desirable qualities due to having a bell.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

What do you think?

Karl
Karl, admit it you have a problem!
Mine is even thinner, 20" at 1581g!
I was contemplating picking a 19" instead of a 20", and i will get one i really like the 18" and 19" SE, but not before my 25th and Epoch...
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Karl
Karl,

The SE hats are terrific. However, the Mel Lewis and Traditional hats are awesome, too. Since you're playing a 21" Mel and a 22" Sig, perhaps a super-thin SE in 18", 19", or 20" would fit your setup, whether it's a flat or a regular ride. On the other hand, an 18" or 20" Paiste Traditionals thin crash could be a good fit. Then again, have you heard the Bosphorus Master Turks? Quite a contrast to the Agops.

Decision, decisions!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Karl, admit it you have a problem!
Mine is even thinner, 20" at 1581g!
I was contemplating picking a 19" instead of a 20", and i will get one i really like the 18" and 19" SE, but not before my 25th and Epoch...
Like i've said before Latin Groover there is no known cure for the Agop addiction condition as our friend Karl is starting to feel the grip of :}

Good luck with your future choices guys and keep your eyes on NAMM 09 for some further "surprises" the good people at Agop have in store.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-29-2008, 12:27 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yes, indeed the addiction is taking over. =)
That`s okay, I know that my budget is limited especially since I ordered the kit.

However, I`d really love some different hats like some 13" or 14" SE ones or another Ride cymbal. I`ve checked out those Master Turks from time to time but it can`t - like Paistes - replace a mellow sounding Agop Flattie or an Agop Turk in my opinion.

Furthermore I`m not sure whether I should replace my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride as it works so well in Big Band settings, Pop stuff or even in small combos. If I do, I`d need a similar ride to this...something like a Turk I guess.

What do you think?

Thanks for everything!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, indeed the addiction is taking over. =)
That`s okay, I know that my budget is limited especially since I ordered the kit.

However, I`d really love some different hats like some 13" or 14" SE ones or another Ride cymbal. I`ve checked out those Master Turks from time to time but it can`t - like Paistes - replace a mellow sounding Agop Flattie or an Agop Turk in my opinion.

Furthermore I`m not sure whether I should replace my 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride as it works so well in Big Band settings, Pop stuff or even in small combos. If I do, I`d need a similar ride to this...something like a Turk I guess.

What do you think?

Thanks for everything!

Karl
Alternate hats = heavier pair of Green label Sigs say around top-1025g bottom-1200g :}

Big Band ride supreme = beefier Epoch say around 3055g :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Aggressivec

Woah Steamer you have a bunch of Istanbul's! Let me ask all you Istanbul users a question. If I wanted to purchase a set of Istanbul cymbals (Hats, 2 Crashes and Ride) which would you recommend? I play Punk in my band, but I will have another set of cymbals (my Sabians) for that. At home I like to jam to funk, rock, metal, jazz, whatever. I am looking for a nice versatile set of cymbals. I think the Traditional series sounds very nice. What do you all think? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
Woah Steamer you have a bunch of Istanbul's! Let me ask all you Istanbul users a question. If I wanted to purchase a set of Istanbul cymbals (Hats, 2 Crashes and Ride) which would you recommend? I play Punk in my band, but I will have another set of cymbals (my Sabians) for that. At home I like to jam to funk, rock, metal, jazz, whatever. I am looking for a nice versatile set of cymbals. I think the Traditional series sounds very nice. What do you all think? Thanks.
Various cymbals from the Azure, Traditional and Alchemy lines, lots of choices available. Check every sound file you can find on the net or a store with actual samples to hear in the flesh and let your ear be your guide for your music. The Azures are the current true sleepers from Agop which sound great in louder applications especially the heavier weight 22" rides and the med. thin weight 16" and 18" crashes. Around here alot of heavy hitters play Sultans {whole series} and some lesser known cymbals such as the heavy Pasha ride. The Alchemy Pro series is very popular with the metal guys too as are many of the cymbals from the Traditional line.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Aggressivec

Hey guys. When I get my job, I WILL be buying some Agops! I have decided on the following cymbals to buy.

Sultan 15" Hats
Traditional 18" Dark Crash
Traditional 22" Medium Ride

That will be my setup. Sound good? I'll get pics up when I have em'.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
Hey guys. When I get my job, I WILL be buying some Agops! I have decided on the following cymbals to buy.

Sultan 15" Hats
Traditional 18" Dark Crash
Traditional 22" Medium Ride

That will be my setup. Sound good? I'll get pics up when I have em'.

Sounds great! Good choices for the type of music you play. You're in good company with many players here in Canada who have chosen similar Agop pies for the same type of application.

Post some comments/impressions and some pics when you recieve them down the road.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan