DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Clive Burr

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to have a good start...!

I'm looking for some information about Clive Burr (Iron Maiden's first drummer - 1979 - 1982)

What I'm looking for is not personal aspects about his live or his career, or even his disease (Multiple Sclerosis) wich is all well documented on the internet...

What I'm looking for is to know something more about his drum kit in the Iron Maiden years (1979-1982). I would like to know what was the drum kit that he used to play (the brand, model, series, etc.) as well as the Cymbal brands, models and series too...

I must say that I have a bit more interest to know about the Cymbals, as I love their sounds in the Iron Maiden's first three albums (''Iron Maiden'', ''Killers'' and ''The number of the beast'', and I just can't find any information about this on the internet...

I went to Google, Wikipedia, HERE, and some other sites but had no luck in order to find this information...

Could someone please help me? It would be a good information to add to this wonderfull forum as well!

Thank you very much!

Vitor Madeira (Portugal)

Last edited by Madeira; 09-11-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding a picture of Clive Burr and subscribing e-mail notifications on this thread.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Default Re: Clive Burr

Have you tried to get in touch with him through the Iron Maiden website? Maybe they can help you? Have you tried to contact his cymbal company? Modern Drummer? Good luck.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Hi again!

Anyone else has any kind of data about his drum kit in the Iron Maiden years (1979-1982)?

Thank you!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:39 PM

Equipment
"Clive used Ludwig drums and Paiste Cymbals on the first two Maiden albums. His most recognised kit was his 1982 custom Tama kit used on the "Beast on the Road Tour":

Bass Drum

22x16
Toms

8x9
10x9
12x11
13x12
16x16
18x16
Snare

14x6.5 (Ludwig Black Beauty)
4 Octobans Gong Bass Drum Camco Pedals Remo Skins

Paiste 2002 Cymbals Crashes 17" 19" 21" 16"(RUDE) Ride 20" HiHats 14"x2 (Paiste 602) Chinas 22" 19"

Ludwig kits: Clive had 2 Ludwig Maple drumsets; the earlier in an off-white color, the later in white cortex. His 2nd kit used the same sizes as his Tama, minus the gong drum and octobans. His 1st Ludwig kit, which he usually played without bottom heads, had the same sizes as his 2nd, but without the 8" tom, and a 14" added after the 13"."

This is what I found on wikipedia.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
This is what I found on wikipedia.
Thank you Styx!!!

I've been on wikipedia a lot in the past, but it seems like someone added some precious information in the meantime! Great!

Take care!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Man I love the fill he does on his toms before the chores on run to the hills pure awesomeness
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Rebel

Dear drummers,

The track I like to play from Clive Burr is Gengis Khan (instrumental) from the album Killers and The Prisoner from the album The Number of the Beast.

All the Best!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Clive was a big influence on my playing in the early 80's.
Caught him a handful of times on the band's first two US tours.
Even went out bar hopping with him and a buddy of mine who
owned a drum shop... LOL

I'll have to post a pic of his MAIDEN drum stick I have when I can.
The slogan next to his name is "Hit 'Em Hard" which is where
I got my username.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit 'Em Hard View Post
Clive was a big influence on my playing in the early 80's.
Caught him a handful of times on the band's first two US tours.
Even went out bar hopping with him and a buddy of mine who
owned a drum shop... LOL
Wow! That would have been great...!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit 'Em Hard View Post
I'll have to post a pic of his MAIDEN drum stick I have when I can.
The slogan next to his name is "Hit 'Em Hard" which is where
I got my username.
Sure! Post those pics!

I love Nicko, but Clive had a different approach on drumming... He was somehow... more diverse... he had some more imagination to put different rhythms and fills on the songs...

I still LOVE those 3 first albums...!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Rebel

The original "Running Free" played by Clive, is amazing.

Good luck, mate.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
Dear drummers,

The track I like to play from Clive Burr is Gengis Khan (instrumental) from the album Killers and The Prisoner from the album The Number of the Beast.

All the Best!
I love this record!! It is on of my all time favorites and I think of the greatest all time Hard/Rock Metal It is on of the 1st records.. I figured this whole record out by ear. Clive was great on the 1st four records (if you include Maiden Japan) I am into Jazz more now and guys like Tony and Elvin but I will always love Maiden and some other groups I listened to back in the early to mid 80s..I sitll pop that stuff on every now and then...It's awesome.. Btw, I feel no need to compare Niko and Clive or Diano and Bruce. It doesn't make any sense to me to do that, I like them all...I was on a message board I think the Iron Maiden web site one and guys were going back and forth about that crap..It was dumb.. Boy! and they say Jazz guys are bad/egotistical... Egotism doesn't discriminate, it happens all over... This may sound contradictory, but I was listening to the 1st record "Iron Maiden" which I also love and man, what a difference in sound quality. Not to slight their first record, but the production was better on Killers if you ask me..
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramac View Post
I love this record!! It is on of my all time favorites and I think of the greatest all time Hard/Rock Metal It is on of the 1st records.. I figured this whole record out by ear. Clive was great on the 1st four records (if you include Maiden Japan) I am into Jazz more now and guys like Tony and Elvin but I will always love Maiden and some other groups I listened to back in the early to mid 80s..I sitll pop that stuff on every now and then...It's awesome.. Btw, I feel no need to compare Niko and Clive or Diano and Bruce. It doesn't make any sense to me to do that, I like them all...I was on a message board I think the Iron Maiden web site one and guys were going back and forth about that crap..It was dumb.. Boy! and they say Jazz guys are bad/egotistical... Egotism doesn't discriminate, it happens all over... This may sound contradictory, but I was listening to the 1st record "Iron Maiden" which I also love and man, what a difference in sound quality. Not to slight their first record, but the production was better on Killers if you ask me..
Thanks a lot for your comments, Up The Irons!

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian Williams; 11-16-2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: add picture