That would be the Pinstripe..
Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Heads

Do Pinstripes come in double-ply?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Yes. They are a 2 ply head. They also come in black (ebony) . They also come coated. The ebony heads are slightly heavy than the clear or coated heads. Here is some info from Remo's site

The Ebony® Pinstripe® heads are made with two (10- & 5-mil) Mylar® plies with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warm resonance. Ebony® Pinstripe®’s quick decay makes them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Rock and R&B and for those who want more low end sounds with moderate attack and response characteristics.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics

The Coated Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7 mil Mylar® plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Remo
Evans
Aquarian

Lots to read in these sites, and pretty easy to find, too!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Yes. They are a 2 ply head. They also come in black (ebony) . They also come coated. The ebony heads are slightly heavy than the clear or coated heads. Here is some info from Remo's site

The Ebony® Pinstripe® heads are made with two (10- & 5-mil) Mylar® plies with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warm resonance. Ebony® Pinstripe®’s quick decay makes them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Rock and R&B and for those who want more low end sounds with moderate attack and response characteristics.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics

The Coated Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7 mil Mylar® plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.
Just a quick note on the end here - Clear Pinstripe (the heads my second hand yamaha kit came with) really leave no ring at all. The smaller the tom, such as a 10", was just a dull thud so if you really want to try, go emperor first over either ambassador or diplomat. If then thats too ringy, try pinstripe. But Pinstripe don't carry well live unless miced.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

What about Evans?
Im just looking for really deep pitch.

(If Remo Pinstripes are the deepest, i'll take 'em.)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

It really depends on what your doing. Are you playing live with a band ? Or just in your house by yourself ? What type of music ?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Im in a band,
and we play metal
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

Ok, well, there are many options. One is to use Aquarian Performance 2 heads. They are designed for that deep thud BUT... in a live "metal" band situation, they are not going to carry very far unless you are micd. They are very dead sounding. If you can give Aquarian a shot, I'd say try the Super 2's for your situation. Classic clears are a good match for them. If you like Remo, try the pinstripes with a clear ambassador on the bottoms. If you want to try Evans, maybe give the EC2's a try. You cant still use a Remo ambassador on the bottoms or an Evans G1. Check out the head companies sites. They are all very informative.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

I'll Check Aquarian.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

I use Aquarian Performance 2's. I play in my house.. by myself so they are perfect for what I want to hear. As I have said in another post about these heads, they are meant to be tuned loose. They are made to sound dead. I have some Super 2's coming my way soon. I'll give them a try. The Performance heads sound best on my bigger drums, 14, 16 & 18. They aren't too bad on my 12 & 13 power toms. I tried them on my 10, 12 & 14 set up. They were ... ok but had to tweak them up a bit higher than what they should have been at so... yeah, the bigger your drums the better the Performance 2's would sound. Let us know what you end up trying and what the results are. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

I'll do that, thanks for all the help