DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 AM

Default Pedal Beaters?

I was told that DW beaters, and Tama beaters arent well balanced (by this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S_VqfLYPw). Ive always had inquiries about my technique with my dw9000's and the beaters somewhat dont cooperate. Im trying to practice my doubles on the single pedal (I have tried the swivel & slide technique, I have tried different tensions, pedal board heights, and beater height) ostinatos as well and changing my habit of playing with double bass pedals throughought my 9 years of playing drums. Any techniques or beaters you guys recommend?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Pedal Beaters?

Well, I myself have had nothing but good experiences with DW pedals and the beaters.

But, I would recommend the Danmar Redwoood beater. I've heard nothing but good about them.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

That's a no brainer, they have this big "thang" on one end, and nothing (no thang) on the other. Not well balanced at all.........OK. Serious. There are lots of different replacement beaters made. There are lots of different drum pedals made. And then you have the little beater shaft weights. Zillions of possibilities. Decades of drummers "made it work" before Dr. You Tube, so I'll let him be his own star, and leave it at that. Do what works best/feels best for you. I have about 10 different kinds of beaters, in my collection box. One of the easiest ways to make your kick drum sound different. Change the beater.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 AM

I prefer felt beaters, but that's just me.

I've never tried it personally, but the beater that comes with the Mapex P950 pedal looks pretty versatile, because it has a felt part, a plastic part, and a wood part all on the same beater. Check it out:

also, Pro-Mark offers an acrylic beater, that could sound pretty sweet. I'd like to try one:

Last edited by drumguyfromWI; 10-31-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added something
Old 10-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

I like the plastic side of the dw beaters.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

I've used felt, plastic, wood, acrylic, rubber, and skateboard wheels (homemade, not those expensive ones...). The relationship between tuning and beater is key. I typically use a loose tuning on the kick drum, so felt beaters are what I primarily use. When I use higher tunings, I'll turn to my wood beater for the solid sound it gives. If I'm doing a gig with lots of double-kick, I'll use plastic beaters for the extra articulation, as well as a falam pad. Those are the sounds that I like, after years of experimentation.

My advice would be to experiment experiment experiment! When you find something you really like, take note of if and keep experimenting. When you find "your sound", you'll know it.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyfromWI View Post
I prefer felt beaters, but that's just me.

I've never tried it personally, but the beater that comes with the Mapex P950 pedal looks pretty versatile, because it has a felt part, a plastic part, and a wood part all on the same beater.
I have that Mapex beater and i'm not a fan. It sounds fine and is plenty versatile, but it seems wayyy to heavy for me. My mapex Janus pedal beaters are my favorite so far. Iron Cobra beaters are nice as well.

Last edited by MykeyInChains; 10-31-2008 at 02:26 AM. Reason: I kant spel.