DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Default What is THE best (highest quality) electronic kit?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Re: What is THE best (highest quality) electronic kit?

Roland V drums take a look.

http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

you almost answered yourself without even knowing it.

if you are ignoring cost, the Roland TD-20 is currently the best, and quite readily availible, electronic module on the market.
The Roland pads and hardware are also very good, but if you want, you could get something like a Hart Professional 6.4 series and buy the TD-20 module; or you could pull a Neil Peart and use electronic pads mounted in drum shells (or use a drum trigger).
But the TD-20 is hands-down the best module, and the standard Roland TD-20S which runs about $5200 USD is a fantastic kit,
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

TD-20 the only way to go!

I love mine ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 03-27-2008, 02:12 AM

TD-20, as mentioned, has the most impressive features and realistic emulation of the feel and response of drums, and for the first time ever, cymbal emulation with dynamics.

THAT SAID...

PERSONALLY I've never felt the QUALITY of the samples from ROLAND has been on par with Yamaha's... NOR Ddrum (Which sadly are not available anymore).

Why?... I don't know... maybe YAMAHA has more acoustic instrument experience and that translates... for example you take the snare drum samples on a Yamaha DTXtreme, which is around HALF the price of the V-drum equivalent... the actual SAMPLES, to me at least, sound better, more musical and less emulated than Roland's... this is my personal appretiation... but I've encountered many guys who feel the same way.

Sure on a pair of headphones they sound cool... but when you run the thing thorugh a big amp or PA it shows...

Roland has WAAAAAAAAAAAY better pads... better feeling, more durable, aesthetically more pleasing too... and also more accurate trigging.

So the ideal E drumkit would be, for me at least, Ddrum triggers on an acoustic, with a Yamaha DTXtreme brain, or other quality module... and if I were to get a 100% electronic, it would be the TD-20.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

In this industry(electronic drums) you want the best, you pay the most.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

There really is no valid answer to your question. Sure, the highest dollar kit, by logic, is going to be "the best" from a given company, usually. But it may, or may not fulfill your needs. I play a hybrid kit, and it's tailored for my needs. A Roland TD-20S or a Yamaha DTXtreme III, though nice to look at, cannot fulfill the functions of my Roland SPD-S and 1985 Tama Techstars. That said, if "he who has the most toys wins, this guy is probably a top contender.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Is that your rig, Harry ? holy crap, it looks incredible. ( You could launch the space shuttle from there? ; )
Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Is that your rig, Harry ?
No, my rig http://harryconway.typepad.com/ is a bit more "streamlined".
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
No, my rig http://harryconway.typepad.com/ is a bit more "streamlined".
Drum room coming along nicely, I notice! I envy your music collection too!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM

I recently purchased a Roland TD20, I am no professional but to my ears it sounds good. Very easy to set up and play.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

I Would deffinitly say the DTXtreme IIIs

http://www.dtxperience.com/specs/dtxtremeIII_specs.php

The specs and rack talk for themselves.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 PM

If you say highest quality that is the TD-20 set. Why? First of all, the pads are VERY realistic. Second, the module its self is great. You can V-Edit the drums to how ever want them. For example, you can pick the type of drum shell (Maple, birch, etc.) then the size, then the head tuning, then the muffling (1 tape, ring muffler, etc.) same with the cymbals. Next, you have positional sensing. That means that the sound will change when you hit different areas of the pad. For example, if you hit the snare near the edge, you will get a high-tone ringy sound. Same with the ride. Also, you have realistic cymbal swells, as the TD-20 module has interval sensing. That means that if you roll with the cymbal, instead of getting 10000 of the same cymbal samples, you will hear realistic cymbal swell samples. Same with the snare and toms. For the kick drum, if you bury the beater, you will get a muted sound, but if you rebound it off the head, you will get an open resonant sound. VERY realistic. Decide for yourself and good luck!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Okay, thanks guys!

The reason I was asking is because I wan a kit that I won't have to replace anytime soon. I have some Tama Superstars, but I can't turn them down or put them on headphones or make them sound like 50 other kits. I know electronic kits are more expensive but that's why they have payment plans... ;-)

Might as well get the best or not get nothing at all. Especially with the electronic kits since I'm kind of bias (I've always been for acoustic kits).

Another Question: If I were to play these for a year or so and then go play on an acoustic kit...would the feel be all that different?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Well, as with anything electronic, they decrease in vaule WAY more than an acoustic... I just sold my DTX last month for around 585 US dollars... it cost me 2,500, back in 2000.

And I sold it well, considering it has some considerable wear and one pad missing... the guy was a fan that went to some gigs I did with it and got into it... anyway, if you're thinking about LONG TERM, at least investment wise, electronics devaluate a LOT... just see how much a TD-5 goes for now... I know a guy that got one for 175 dollars... and it was in excellent condition.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 PM

I'm a fan of Roland and would go for the TD20 (I have the TD 12 because I didn't have the romm for the 20), but wish it had the sampling capability of the Yamaha which takes the Yamaha kit to a different musical place.

There are a lot of differences in feel between acoustic kits and electronic.

If you play an acoustic kit very hard, you can really hurt yourself on an electric kit, especially the Yamaha hard pads. Having spent a lot of time looking into drumming with repetitive strain injury (I have it) it's amazing how many people are having problems with over-playing on these hard surfaces (anyone remember Simmon's elbow?).... Zildjian's anti-vibe sticks - drum sticks with a rubber core to cut down on the vibrations that can damage your joints and tendons - were created partly as a response to this. The Roland mesh heads are easier on the wrists and elbows.

If you play using a lot of rebound (especially if very quietly), you will probably find an acoustic kit sluggish (unless you use tight bop tuning) after the electronic kits. If you play hard, you won't get the satisfying 'give' of looser toms, bass drum and swinging cymbals. (You can't loosen the Roland mesh heads too much or you could damage the trigger).

Also, no electric kit I've tried has given me the dynamic range an acoustic kit can, and it's quit easy to fall into the trap of playing it within quite a narrow volume range based on how the triggers function best and what feels the most comfortable.

The most disappointing part of the electronic kits for me is the hi-hat. I read an interview with a Roland developer who said that of all the different components of the kit, the hi-hat is the one they have struggled with the most, both in terms of feel and sound. The TD20 is much better than the 12, but the response is very different to the real thing.

If you are doing home recording, you might want to consider if the brain has separate channel outputs for mixing rather than just the stereo outs.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

[quote=pbm2112;423409]you can really hurt yourself on an electric kit, especially the Yamaha hard pads. QUOTE]

And witch pads do you mean exactly?

Both Yamaha (witch includes the rhp real head pads, on witch you can plant mesh heads) and Roland have a lot of pads.

And also Yamaha developed new pads witch have more realistic feal on them. And they are still developping a new type of pad witch will be a rubber pad wih a mesh/real head feel. This will be launched later this yea (or early next year)

I've played both Yamaha (TP) and Roland (PD) basic rubber pads and and I can tell you, theres no difference at all.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM

"I've played both Yamaha (TP) and Roland (PD) basic rubber pads and and I can tell you, theres no difference at all."

Hi, I am talking about the difference between the Roland mesh heads vs the Yamaha rubber drum pads as found on the high-end kits (these are what I believe Drummertist was inquiring about). I can see you are a loyal Yamaha devotee and Yamaha do make great, innovative stuff, but I would be amazed if anyone else didn't feel the difference between the rubber pads and the mesh pads. But we are all different, and naturally the guy (or girl) that started this thread must try both and decide.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

And that was my point ;)

Im indeed yamaha devoded, but at the end its up to the post starter to make up his drumming mind.

(and i didnt read thath you meant mesh vs rubber ;) because everybody can feel tht difference, thats true)
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Some may 'like' the feel of the rubber pads more than the mesh, but I wasn't making that point in the first post you replied to. When choosing between the Roland and Yamaha systems, a consideration for many is the fact that if you play hard on a hard rubber pad style of drum trigger you are more likely to do damage to your hands than on a mesh pad with more give... especially if your preference is to grip the stick tightly. This has NOTHING to do with the quality of the manufacturers, both Roland and Yamaha make great stuff, it's just physical fact that the two surfaces act very differently in the way they absorb impact. Mesh pads are easier on the joints and tendons.

Last edited by pbm2112; 03-28-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM

I found the Roland TD20 to be the most advanced module, and I would recommend the kit as an all-in-one user-friendly setup.

If you really want to pursue the most realistic tones for E-drums, I'd go with softsamplers and VSTs. It's a little more demanding and less user-friendly getting into that world, but I think there are tones available through this route that are more realistic and punchy than most current models can offer. I don't think any module does a decent cymbal emulation yet, but you can get much closer with samplers or software.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:44 AM

Gotta go with the TD-20 as well. I started way back, pre-MIDI, and have used a variety of equipment over the years. I find the TD-20 to have almost all of what I want and in a small, easy to use package. I haven't used the newest Yamaha gear so I can't speak to that. I only wish the TD-20 had more inputs.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 AM
Senior Consultant

For true highest quality you need to go VST. A Muse Receptor to hold the software (I use BFD and BFD2) and trigger the sounds with no latency. An Alesis trigger I/O to convert the pad hit into a midi signal that the Muse can read and the drum pads themselves. I use a combination of Roland and the Mandala pads. The Mandala pads actually send out midi signals so they don't need to go thru the I/O.

The sounds from ANY manufacturer's electronic drums PALE in comparison to the sounds from these software packages. Look up BFD2 on the web and you'll see what I mean. As a matter of fact look up the Muse Receptor too.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
A Muse Receptor to hold the software (I use BFD and BFD2) and trigger the sounds with no latency.
Is the 'no latency' truly not a problem? I've friends who struggle with the MIDI delay. Might need the right triggers, I guess..
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
f you play hard on a hard rubber pad style of drum trigger you are more likely to do damage to your hands than on a mesh pad with more give... especially if your preference is to grip the stick tightly.
Thats not a 'preference', thats poor technique. If you open your hand to allow rebound, it wont matter what surface youre playing on - You wont damage your hands.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Is the 'no latency' truly not a problem? I've friends who struggle with the MIDI delay. Might need the right triggers, I guess..
The Muse Receptor has a 64 bit Turion Microprocessor. No Windows or Tiger OS or any of that stuff. It leaves laptops and regular desktops in the dust for this app.

The triggers are not the problem with your friend's rigs. It's the processing speed of their laptop.

Check out the Receptor here: http://www.museresearch.com/

BTW, the receptor can replace ANY synth or sound module. True VST tech.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Thats not a 'preference', thats poor technique. If you open your hand to allow rebound, it wont matter what surface youre playing on - You wont damage your hands.
Spot on. I've been playing on pads for 25 years with no hand problems. You have to remember that there's no need to bash electronic pads. A light touch is much better. And consider light sticks too. I like Pro-Mark's Bill Bruford model, partly because they're maple. It's a very nice match for pads.

I've heard others sing the praises of a computer-based system with BFD et al, and I'm sure that they sound great, but one thing I like about the TD-20 is the package: One relatively small unit for everything.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

How do the Hart Dynamics cymbals compare to the cymbals that come with the Roland TD-20K? They look so real, but they wobble as if on a spring. I would rather have more sounds come from my cymbals than them look or feel like real cymbals.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

bump bump bump bump bump
Old 04-06-2008, 02:43 AM

If you're looking for top of the line, consider a Hart Pro 6.4 with a TD-20 module.
The Hart pro hat is really great and very close to an acoustic. I like the cymbals but would prefer a three-zone ride. You could get a Roland ride to add to the Hart or also look at Kittoys if you really want a cymbal that swings naturally.

http://www.hartdynamics.tv/video/QT_..._6-4_TD12.html
Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 AM
greenshirt77

Seems that you have plenty of input already, but I'll confirm what many have said already- if $ is no oblect, the V-Pros with the TD-20 module is the way to go. I have 2 V-Pro kits- an older model w/ the TD-10 module (now demoted to the kids kit), and a the newer model w/ the TD-20.
They are incredible in every way, but not the least of which being the feel of the mesh heads and the versatility in the module itself. Not to mention that the trigger design on the newer models is vastly improved from the older kits.
There are so many options in terms of the sounds you can get and the fine tuning you can apply, that it will make your head spin.
I was completely anti-electronic for years, but then something happened- I married and we had kids. Many of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. After playing a friends V-Pros, I was sold. I can't live w/o an acoustic set, but when you need to play (and for me, it's often at night when everyone else is asleep) and playing an acoustic kit is out of the question, these are your answer.
If $ is an object, and your not looking to splurge on the V-Pros, then I'm afraid I can't help, as I have not liked any of the other elec kits I have played.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
I Would deffinitly say the DTXtreme IIIs

http://www.dtxperience.com/specs/dtxtremeIII_specs.php

The specs and rack talk for themselves.
I actually used one of these at the guitar center and i didnt realy like it very much.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 AM

I can't say I'm a big fan of the Roland V-drum pads at all. The rebound you get from the mesh pads seems pretty unrealistic. What real, acoustic drumkit has rebound like this? If you're like me and you use your electronic kit for mostly practicing, it is going to be a disappointment to move from an electronic pad that causes the sticks to bounce off of them like a trampoline, to an acoustic kit that rebounds naturally. I suppose if you completely tighten your heads you could get rebound that is CLOSE but still not the same.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM

My 2 Cents

I own a TD20, have owned a TD6 as well. I use a Yamaha DD-55 for the Thursday night jam sessions at the local pub.

They all sound great with a little EQ and a good set of speakers, but they can all sound like crap if the PA is not up to the task. When it comes to recording, the TD20 wins the day for me.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

The cheaper Yamaha's have the best value, while the high end Roland's blow everything away. Yamaha's new high end kits almost match the TD-20 in price, but they aren't all that much better than the lower end Yamaha's. The sound gets distorted when you play too many things at once, just like the lower level models.

Long story short, the TD-20 is victorious.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
The cheaper Yamaha's have the best value, while the high end Roland's blow everything away. Yamaha's new high end kits almost match the TD-20 in price, but they aren't all that much better than the lower end Yamaha's. The sound gets distorted when you play too many things at once, just like the lower level models.

Long story short, the TD-20 is victorious.
Thats just not true. Maybe you played a model with a bad setup (or it was changed by customers) but the sounds of Yamaha are by far the best. Not only because they use real recorded sounds (and not the synthsounds of the rolands) or because I play Yamaha, but just because it is...And than I haven't even talked about the sample, hardware and setting possibility's OR the more affordable price for the Special (with the Hex rack, witch you can also use with an acoustic set to)
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Roland V-Drums by far. They're amazing. Expensive, but amazing.