DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Default Flanged or Die Cast? Snare? Toms?

Well the title says it all... Flanged or Die Cast hoops? What do you use? What do you like? How are the Cannon Percussion Die Casts?

I'm thinking of putting them on my toms to give them some more focus, but not sure about my snare. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, experiences welcome!

I have a Yamaha Birch Stage Custom with 14, 10, 12, 14, 22. Right now I'm using flanged hoops with coated Aquarian batter heads and they sound good, but I'd really like to define them a little more.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
trkdrmr

Default Re: Flanged or Die Cast? Snare? Toms?

More focus for a yamaha? look no further than Yamaha aluminum or the older zinc die cast rims. They fill the function of die cast, but are lighter than the standard steel die cast. That means more focus but not as choked.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

You can also choose for Super Hoops. Same thickness as diecast hoops, only with the tripple flanged look.

I have on my Oak Custom toms, die cast hoops on top and bottom (this controls the cutting sound better and give some powerfull feel to the toms to)

On my 13x6,5 40th anni brass snare also die cast on top and bottom (standard and I love die cast on my main snares)

On my 10x5 birch/maple custom. im using die cast on top and tripple flanged on the bottom (to keep the sound focussed and still cutting, im also using a clear emperror on this baby)

On the 10x5,5 steel im using the standard tripple flangeds both on top and bottom (this to keep the metal sound open and ring)

On my 8x5 poplar im still using trhe tripple flangeds, but im thinking of switching the top to die cast to (anybody has a 8'' with 4 holes left?)
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 PM
lewisn27

i wouldn't put die cast hoops on my toms, i like my toms as resonant as possible.

but where the snare is concerned, i would use die casts if i had the chance.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugznmugz View Post
Well the title says it all... Flanged or Die Cast hoops? What do you use? What do you like? How are the Cannon Percussion Die Casts?

I'm thinking of putting them on my toms to give them some more focus, but not sure about my snare. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, experiences welcome!

I have a Yamaha Birch Stage Custom with 14, 10, 12, 14, 22. Right now I'm using flanged hoops with coated Aquarian batter heads and they sound good, but I'd really like to define them a little more.

I think that the die cast hoops maybe one of the reasons that Gretsch drums were used in the studio by many of the pros such as Jeff Porcaro and Vinnie Colauita. Your focus reasoning is sound!
Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw