DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Ken Mary

There may be a Ken Mary thread but I didn't find it if there is. Has anyone else heard or even heard of him? He played with "fifth angel" in the early 80's, excellent melodic hard rock. Then landed the drum throne for Alice Cooper and can be heard on Alice's song and video "Poison" . He then played for "House of Lords", "magdellan", "Ken Tamplin", Lanny Cordola", "Don Dokken", etc. Now he is a producer/engineer/studio drummer with his own studios in Phoenix and Los Angeles.

If you ever get the chance to pick up or listen to "Magdellan's, 'Big Bang" or "Lanny Cordola's 'Electric Warior, Acoustic Saint" It's a taste treat of Syncopated musicianship with some excellent drumming.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 05-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Ken Mary

I loved the first House of Lords record. He is a great, solid, rock drummer. I actually saw them open for Cheap Trick on that tour. Lanny Cordolla is a great player as well. They did a nice version of "Can't Find My Way Home" on the secon HOL album.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

He also drum'd on one of David T. Chastains solo albums. Track called "Spontaneous Combustion" off the Instrumental Variations album...a particular favorite of mine.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Wasn't that Eric Singer on Poison by Cooper? Ken Mary is a phenomenal drummer. I know his work with House of Lords and if you want to hear him in action recently he laid down some awesome tracks for new solo record by Kip Winger. Amazing musician and the cd is off the hook.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Not familiar with Kip's new CD. I loved the songwriting on "This Conversation...." so I guess I'll have to check this one out. It's good to see Ken out there.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Ken is an old friend from the HOUSE OF LORDS days. Great visual player
and excellent chops.

He was actually Simmon's first pick for the KISS gig in '91. (Stanley,of course,
picked Singer and later introduced him to GS).

He does great production work and we keep in touch from time to time.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
Wasn't that Eric Singer on Poison by Cooper? Ken Mary is a phenomenal drummer. I know his work with House of Lords and if you want to hear him in action recently he laid down some awesome tracks for new solo record by Kip Winger. Amazing musician and the cd is off the hook.
no...actually mickey curry did the studio tracks.....and the guy who was in " wayne's world" as crucial taunts drummer....his name escapes me...he played on the "poison" video...
i seen ken play on alice's " the nightmare returns" tour in 1986....solid player, and quite flashy....his solo was pretty sweet, and he played all the alice songs to the letter....
kinda lost track of him after his HOL's gig though.....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM

anthony focx, that was the guy's name from the poison video...it just came to me...he played guitar for " beautiful creatures" also....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM

I know Ken Mary. He played drums on a record for a band I used to be in. I left the band then they went to the studio and he ended up doing the drums for them on their record that they recorded with him. They used to be called Broadview but are now called 75 Summers.

He's a really nice guy and seems to be a pretty solid drummer. I actually met him randomly at a show that my friend and i were doing sound/lights for. He came and complimented us on the sound. Quite an honor based on his quality of recordings i've heard from him. High quality stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Pioneer Member

He does a lot of Ghost sessions now, and mostly recording and mixing at his own 2 studios. here's the web addy

http://www.sonicphish.com/

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
no...actually mickey curry did the studio tracks.....and the guy who was in " wayne's world" as crucial taunts drummer....his name escapes me...he played on the "poison" video...
i seen ken play on alice's " the nightmare returns" tour in 1986....solid player, and quite flashy....his solo was pretty sweet, and he played all the alice songs to the letter....
kinda lost track of him after his HOL's gig though.....
I believe that was Jimmy DeGrasso-another great rock drummer (Alice Cooper has great taste in drummers).
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM

I went to high school with KEN MARY. I was one year ahead
of him at Newport High School in Bellevue, Washington.

We were not friends, but I do remember him. He was very
quiet, kept to himself, and played in a rock band called "RIDGE".

I am very happy for all his success. I hope his life is great and
he continues doing what he loves!

Good for you, KEN MARY!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM

i have the Chastain album called ''within the heat'' it was released in '89 .

you have to listen to the songs ''excursions into reality'' and ''within the heat'' , these are my favorites all time of Ken.

''return of the 6'' and ''danger zone F07'' are also interesting.

i heard the first time Ken in an album (at the time i bought LP.'s not cd's ) of the band TKO ''in your face'' and his work was ok but not fantastic but when i heard his work with Chastain i was impressed.

as a drummer myself i discovered some similarities between Ken and me, maybe that's why i loved him but i have to admit that maybe he was more constant with 2 bass-drums work than me even i play 2 bass-drum since 33 years.

i play drums for 35 years now and my influences are:

J.Hiseman, S.Phillips, B.Downey,T.Aldridge,B.Ward, G.Baker,I.Paice,J.Bonham and so much others.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Great Drummer! I believe he graduated from a Texas (big jazz school) university with a music degree.

He also played on an album called "Fireworks" by a band named 'Bonfire' out of Germany in the mid 80's....
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Intro to "Kiss of Fire" from the 2nd HOL....
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent15 View Post
I believe that was Jimmy DeGrasso-another great rock drummer (Alice Cooper has great taste in drummers).
jimmy played the drums for alice on wayne's world....in the concert section....anthony focx was the crucial taunts drummer, and played on alice's video " poison"

i went to a jimmy degrasso clinic a couple of years ago....man, could that dude play.....and not just rock, but latin, jazzy stuff and the like....a very well versed drummer....and a nice guy also...took a lot of time to answer my questions and everyone in the audience...

class act!! :)