DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 AM

Default My "little" kit!

I got this is idea a little bit ago. I saw Paul McCartney's drummer Abe Laboriel Jr playing a big kit, even though it's a 4-piece, he looked big behind it, even though he uses big drums and big cymbals.

So I decided to use this idea, but backwards -- I use small drums and cymbals, but it still has a huge sound.

It kinda gives a jungle kit type of sound. I really like it. If I were playing a d'n'b or electronic gig, I would use a kit similar to this. The focal point is the kick, a 16"x16" Export 2000 FT converted.

Specs first then pics:

Drums:
Pearl Export Series 2000 and 2005 series. Poplar shells.
A. 16"x16" Export FT converted to kick
B. 8"x7" Export RT
C. 13"x10" Export RT as FT
D. 10"x5" Firecracker SD

Cymbals:
1. 10" Meinl Classics Medium mini hats
2. 12" Zildjian A Custom Splash (as crash)
3. 6" Zildjian A Zildjian Splash
4. 17" Zildjian A Custom Medium Crash (as crash/ride)
5. 12" Meinl Filter China

Heads:
Toms: Remo Clear Emperor Batter/Remo Clear Diplomat Resonant
Snare: Remo Coated Ambassador Batter/ Remo Snare Side Ambassador
Kick: Remo Clear Powerstroke 3 Batter/ Remo Ebony Ambassador Resonant

Hardware:
Pearl
Yamaha SD Stand
PDP Throne

Pictures:

As you can see from the last few pics, I look big behind it. I'm 5'10" 215 lbs as of the photos taken, and I look massive. If you have any questions or comments post 'em, and I'll respond right on the thread.

Thanks for looking.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My "little" kit!

Nice tight "little" kit. Looks like fun.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 AM

Great idea, I'm working on a small kit myself (Have been for a while, kind of stuck between a few things). How much low end can you get from a the 16" bass? I'm assuming its square size helps a bit. Also, aren't you cold? It looks freezing in those pictures.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

That's a cool concept but I think you should compact everything even more. Although you'd have to sit pretty low if you packed everything together tightly, it would sure look cool. Which is what you're going for, right?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

I'm very interested on how those hats sound

10 inches!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

That kit looks great. And must be fun to play. I've been thinking of doing something similar and always get stuck on the "perfect" sizes for a compact jungle kit.

I'd also like to know if you get enough low thump from your 16" kick. Does the powerstroke3 allow for a fairly low tuning? And would you recommend an 8" rack tom? I can't help but think it will be too small and high-pitched. Wich is why I'm leaning towards a 10", 13" combo with an 18" kick. And maybe a 12x5" snare.

I really like your use of cymbals. Is your 17" crash very washy when you ride it?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM

Alright, from the top:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Nice tight "little" kit. Looks like fun.
It very much is fun. If you've seen my kits before, I generally player larger-sized kits, but with this kit, I can still play complex stuff on a much smaller kit. I love the kick, which I'll talk about in a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The popes love child View Post
Great idea, I'm working on a small kit myself (Have been for a while, kind of stuck between a few things). How much low end can you get from a the 16" bass? I'm assuming its square size helps a bit. Also, aren't you cold? It looks freezing in those pictures.
The 16"x16" FT, converted to kick, would generally sound like a FT hit with a BD beater. With the Powerstroke 3 batter, and the thin Ebony resonant, with the 4" Holz cut, it really does sound like a small, thick kick drum. I can get enough low end out of it by tuning the heads lower, and the PS3 helps with thud and low-end. I think it's great.

As for cold, I had my coat on to assemble the kit and take most of the pics. I just took the coat off to get the few playing pictures. So it was only cold for about a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
That's a cool concept but I think you should compact everything even more. Although you'd have to sit pretty low if you packed everything together tightly, it would sure look cool. Which is what you're going for, right?
I agree, with a 4 piece you should get compact. I'm a bit of an anomaly. I have short arms, and I use sticks with a good length, but I like my stuff spaced a bit. Even though it's a pretty small kit, and even small sizes. I really have a hard time sitting really low on a kit. I like to sit up and back from the kit for easier footwork. My only qualm would be bringing the china in a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
I'm very interested on how those hats sound

10 inches!
I personally love them. Don't ever count out a cymbal just because it's made from a b8 alloy, instead of b10, 12, or 20. It's got a great, thick bottom cymbal, and the top is a little thicker than a 10" classics splash.

If you go to this link go to the classics lineup and check them out. I'm sorry I don't have this kit mic'd and sound samples for you guys, but the cymbals sound great. I actually like the idea of using small hats as your main hat ala Glenn Kotche of Wilco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
That kit looks great. And must be fun to play. I've been thinking of doing something similar and always get stuck on the "perfect" sizes for a compact jungle kit.

I'd also like to know if you get enough low thump from your 16" kick. Does the powerstroke3 allow for a fairly low tuning? And would you recommend an 8" rack tom? I can't help but think it will be too small and high-pitched. Wich is why I'm leaning towards a 10", 13" combo with an 18" kick. And maybe a 12x5" snare.

I really like your use of cymbals. Is your 17" crash very washy when you ride it?
In response to a jungle kit, I'd reccomend using a 10" rack, 13" or 14" rack/floor tom, a nice piccolo or popcorn snare to get good rim shots, and a 18" or 20" shallow kick. I just wanted to make small drums, and lower frequencies as a fun 4-piece kit. My 8" rack tom is a good fit for the kit, but it can be too high-pitch, so I would reccomend tuning it down.

I have a 12"x5" Pork Pie Little Squealer that I have used as Aux. snares on many kits, and I would definitely recommend using it as d'n'b or jungle kit snare, just don't tune it up all the way, as It can be very high-pitched and pangy.

As for the crash ride, I really love that crash as a crash cymbal. It was the first A Custom cymbal I bought as was basically the reason the I use A Custom Crashes. They just sound amazing. The cymbal has a small bell, which wouldn't make a good ride, but if you're using smaller cymbals, it does get enough wash to make it easy to ride on, and mash as a ride.

Feel free to ask more questions, I love talking about my gear.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM

First of all, brrrrr.

Second, cool kit. I really like small kits, and this one looks really fun.

Third, I think it would look better if you cut down on the stands. For example, mount the lower tom and the china on one stand. And get a stand alone hi-hat stand as opposed to this setup you have with the hi-hat clamped to another stand.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

I also have a export kit (20" bass,10" tom & 14" floor-tom) I love jammin' 4-piece both of my my kits are set-up 4-piece my other kit has a 24" bass,12" tom & 16 floor-tom.the only time I converted a floor-tom like that is when I went through my head on my 24" kick at a gig and I had too improvise it worked through I made it threw the gig and got paid.I always like small kits.

Bonzolead
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

I love it! It looks very cool. I might think of doing that to my kit or getting a kit like that some time soon aswell! :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

I have an 18" A Custom Med. crash that I use as a secondary ride...it's *perfect* for a crash ride. It's heavy enough to ride and not wash out...and has a big bell. Nice, classy, dark crash too...very nice cymbal.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM

You Stole my idea... I always wanted to do that with a Kit!! I love it!! If your Looking for the perfect crash to use as a ride....18" AA El Sabor Crash.

Wat are the 10" Hats like i was always curious about them
Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM

its great! thats so cute!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
First of all, brrrrr.

Second, cool kit. I really like small kits, and this one looks really fun.

Third, I think it would look better if you cut down on the stands. For example, mount the lower tom and the china on one stand. And get a stand alone hi-hat stand as opposed to this setup you have with the hi-hat clamped to another stand.
Thanks, it was cold, but I only had the coat off to take a couple pics. Not that bad. When I've gigged, I've attached the FT to the Ride stand or China stand. As for the hi-hat stand, I have my 2-legged stand set up on a separate kit, and I didn't wanna take it off. I would use the 2-legged for gigs.

I'm not used to playing a lot of small kits, but I enjoy this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
I also have a export kit (20" bass,10" tom & 14" floor-tom) I love jammin' 4-piece both of my my kits are set-up 4-piece my other kit has a 24" bass,12" tom & 16 floor-tom.the only time I converted a floor-tom like that is when I went through my head on my 24" kick at a gig and I had too improvise it worked through I made it threw the gig and got paid.I always like small kits.

Bonzolead
How do you break a 24" head? I never break BD heads. I may wear them out, but never break them. Cheers on kicking through the head. Good thinking on tipping over the FT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
I love it! It looks very cool. I might think of doing that to my kit or getting a kit like that some time soon aswell! :D
The best thing about kits like this is, it's small drums, so it's very cheap. Even if you already have a 13" tom or an 8" or 10" tom, you can use it with a smaller snare, and then convert a FT or buy a smaller kick. It's very fun playing small drums that can still give a great sound mic'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I have an 18" A Custom Med. crash that I use as a secondary ride...it's *perfect* for a crash ride. It's heavy enough to ride and not wash out...and has a big bell. Nice, classy, dark crash too...very nice cymbal.
That's interesting you say that your Medium crash has a big bell. My medium crash has a very small bell. Usually the A Custom Crashes and Projection crashes have the bigger bells. It'd be interesting to see one with a big bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumGod View Post
You Stole my idea... I always wanted to do that with a Kit!! I love it!! If your Looking for the perfect crash to use as a ride....18" AA El Sabor Crash.

Wat are the 10" Hats like i was always curious about them
Don't feel too bad, I steal a lot of people's ideas. I'm the Quentin Tarantino of drumming! If I played Sabians exclusively (barring my Fusion hats) I would probably use a mix of AA, AAX, and HHX, possibly even Virgil's, Chad's, and Jojo's crashes. I have a 17" Vault crash that I bought on eBay, and I love it. It was cracked and broken, but they cut all the cracks on it, and it still sounds like a brand new cymbal, but darker. It really matches the A Custom EFX that I use with it. I love the rivets of the El Sabors.

The hats rock. I described earlier, go to Meinl's site and go into the Classics line, and they have sound samples. They're B8 bronze, so they all almost sound alike. Mine sound just like the sound sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
its great! thats so cute!!!
Thanks, I think...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Big_Philly

That is pretty cool! I'd love to have a go on that one :)
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Very nice! I really like smaller hats as well - I've got 13"s.

...You don't leave it outside in the cold do you?!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post

How do you break a 24" head? I never break BD heads. I may wear them out, but never break them. Cheers on kicking through the head. Good thinking on tipping over the FT...

One thing about breaking heads you know exactly when it happens LOL that time I was playing in a metal band and of course we were trying to play as loud as possible LOL when I was a teenager I would watch the old Bonham video's and thought playing hard made loud volume boy was I wrong i've learned to get the same volume without killing my kit as Bonham did one time I broke a cymbal stand during a drum solo looked cool but it sucked welding it back together LOL.

Bonzolead
Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
As you can see from the last few pics, I look big behind it. I'm 5'10" 215 lbs as of the photos taken, and I look massive. If you have any questions or comments post 'em, and I'll respond right on the thread.

Thanks for looking.
bigger than me! I'm bigger than my drum teacher too, he's 5'6" and he plays a pretty big kit. Well the shell sizes aren't massive but there are like 5 toms and 8 cymbals or something on it. That's pretty cool, i was thinking when i've sorted my big kit and got in a band i could get a smaller one like that for practice at home. Either that or a leccie.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Pioneer Member

hmm, great idea.. Looking forward hearing some sound/video clips.. That snare must sound snappy i quess!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Cool kit! Get em' outta da snow!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:47 PM

:)

oh come on!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

did i ever mention this looks loads like the kit tom noonan out of 36 crazyfists plays?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Cool looking set! You don't need big drums to have a big sound. I play a six-piece and none of my drums are more than 18 inches.

I suggest what others have suggested: bringing everything closer in (although that depends on the playing style) and cutting down on stands by mounting more things on to each stand. Although I notice you have a legless hihat clamped to a cymbal stand - very smart! I do that too to cut down on stand clutter.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Hey Nice KIT...nice and little, would love to hear its sound.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Ah yes I can relax! Far less intimidating than the 360 beast!