DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Default the most realistic feeling practice pad?

maybe it's me but i don't think the HQ Real Feel pads feel like my snare or toms.

what other pads out there feel more realistic to the rebound of snares and/or toms?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 AM

Default Re: the most realistic feeling practice pad?

Well no pad will feel exactly like a drum or even that close to one...especially with differences in tension on drum heads....try and look for a pad reviewed to have very little rebound...since most pads have alot more than actual drums...a pad with little rebound will feel closer to a natural drum and will give you a more realistic work out...just my two cents for what it is worth
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 PM

I would pay hard cash to find out the exact same thing!!!

I have a LOT of problems with practice pads. I have quite a few, and i have a Roland V-Drum TD-6 with mesh head on the snare.

I practice a LOT on my pads. Some are just a rigid rubber that has almost zero rebound. Some are soft and some are medium. But my favorite, when i feel the best control of the stick is a sock stuffed with other socks that i tie around my leg!! Thats my best practice pad! Absolutely NO rebound and almost zero sound.

My only problem is: when i sit on the V-Drum set, my left hand just goes crazy with the rebounds i get from the mesh heah fitted snare.... seems like the stick gets completely out of control, it rebounds too much and so i always get sloppy and uneven on my otherwise perfect rudiments or rolls!!

I believe a mesh head fitted eletronic snare is NOT like the real thing: an acoustic drum snare. THe problem is i dont have and cant play an acoustic drumset on my appartment, so i m looking for a practice pad that feels AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to a tight tunned snare drum.

Anyone got any comments???
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM

Well you're never get the same feel as a snare drum as they are two different objects. However to get close to the feel, i believe there are tunable practice pads; but the level of noise these produce will be greater than a generic quiet pad. If you have an oversensitive pad,then put a thin towel over it,or more to lower the rebound as seen in jojo mayers dvd.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

For a drum set, I don't think you'll find a practice pad that closely simulates a tom or snares. I've tried most of them and haven't found anything close enough...

There is a pad out there that really closely simulates a marching snare, though, by Off World Percussion. It's called the Invader, and it feels so much like a marching snare, it's unreal. Anyone into drum and bugle corps and rudimental drumming should seriously check it out.

http://www.offworldpercussion.com/OffWorld_Home.html

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Well, my question will sound remarkably dumb, but try to remember i have a V-Drum set, and only played a real snare very few times, and NEVER actually practiced on one, so...

what kind of pad is closer to a real snare rebound?

. with more rebound (softer)?
. with less rebound (harder? rubber made?)

and please, dont say "something in the middle", because that would ruin any kind of scientific research!! heheh

Anyone that played a VDrum could please tell me if my mesh head fitted snare is anything closer to a real snare behaviour as far as rebound goes??

Concerning Jojo Mayer, i bought the Sabian Quiet Tone that he plays on the DVD, because ive been told it uses a real head (by remo). Im curious: can i consider it pretty close to a real snare rebound?? It has a "wood" filling below the head!!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhz View Post

Concerning Jojo Mayer, i bought the Sabian Quiet Tone that he plays on the DVD, because ive been told it uses a real head (by remo). Im curious: can i consider it pretty close to a real snare rebound?? It has a "wood" filling below the head!!
I use a Quiet Tone, and i'd say it's the closest you'll get in a realistic response in terms of stick response, although even then it's still a way off. The inclusion of a rim is it's best feature. Pricey though.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

I have an old 90's version of this Remo practice pad, in 6", 8" and 10". The 10" feels very similar to a real head. Well, it feels a lot harder, but the rebound is almost identical provided that the tension is right.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

I still prefer my Real Feal pad over it though, I love that one.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 AM

RMP-5 is the best I've found, though I believe my estimation of its accuracy of it is overstated in my mind -- I find myself forgetting I'm playing an electronic pad from time to time, especially if I've got my eyes closed and headphones in. I think this is as much sound as feel.

It's been my favorite though, and until recently nothing was threatening the RealFeel's hold on #1.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM

This might be the best answer to that question. I've been working on pad designs for many years and at this point I feel we've achieved the closest-to-kevlar feel and articulation with the INVADER by way of it's new playing surface. I've posed this question on a couple of different forums. Appreciate any feedback players on many levels have on these units, check out the website, watch the video and let me know what you think!
http://offworldpercussion.com

Old 10-19-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysonors View Post
maybe it's me but i don't think the HQ Real Feel pads feel like my snare or toms.

what other pads out there feel more realistic to the rebound of snares and/or toms?
If you get a chance, go try the "TRU-BOUNCE" by AQUARIAN
It's a good practice pad, not as bouncy as the Reel feel pads.
also the one I own is a little louder than the reel feels.

Best,
Chazz \m/