DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 AM

Default My Gig Kit

Well, it's not actually mine. The kit belongs to the keyboard player in my band. I've been using it at rehearsal, but my bandmate agreed to let me use it for gigging so I wouldn't beat the hell out of my kit. Anyway, this kit wasn't handled with the best of care. It's has a lot of scratches and dings, and some hardware issues I am still trying to fix. But I gave it a good cleaning, tightened all the screws, and replaced the horrendous stock heads with Remo clear pinstripes/ambassadors, and a powerstroke 3 kick batter. It's starting to shape up.

The kit is a Sonor Force 2001. I believe this is the earlier version 2001 which uses mahogany shells, and wine red wrap. Pretty standard sizes:

18x22 kick
10x12 tom
16x16 floor tom

Not my preferred sizes, but I'm not complaining since I am getting free use of the kit. Of course, my bandmate benefits too since I am fixing it up.

The snare is mine. A 5x14 maple shell Legend snare.

I figure I can use the open side of the double tom mount to attach a small boom arm for a splash cymbal.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: My Gig Kit

when I saw the picture my first thought was "why is that guy showing promo pictures and not his own pictures?". Then it hit me. It is the actual set. Great job on cleaning it up and making it look brand new again. Have a lot of fun gigging!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Excellent clean up job. Bravo.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
when I saw the picture my first thought was "why is that guy showing promo pictures and not his own pictures?". Then it hit me. It is the actual set. Great job on cleaning it up and making it look brand new again. Have a lot of fun gigging!
I thought the same thing, why show a promo pic, excellent cleanup job. Looks like a lot of sun to play.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Lol i thought the same thing. Nice clean up job.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
Lol i thought the same thing. Nice clean up job.
You can add me to the club. Sweet job!! I think trading a refurb job for free use of the kit is a pretty fair deal.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the promo look of the pic is the result of exposure compensation. Since the background was very bright, the camera was exposing for the highlights in auto mode, which made the kit a dark silhouette. By activating the exposure compensation on my camera, I was able to manually set the exposure for the kit to bring out the color and detail. This resulted in an overexposed background.

I've now finished the refurbishing job, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. The hardware issue I mentioned was just resolved earlier today. The mount for the small tom had a stripped bolt hole. I had a mechanic drill out the stripped threads and install a "heli-coil" which effectively provides new and stronger threads. I explained this in more detail in another thread.

Anyway, I really enjoy breathing new life into old, neglected things such as this kit. In many ways, I find it more satisfying than buying a brand new kit.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Great job on restoring the kit. The TLC shows. It does look like a new kit in a promo shot!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
Well, it's not actually mine. The kit belongs to the keyboard player in my band. I've been using it at rehearsal, but my bandmate agreed to let me use it for gigging so I wouldn't beat the hell out of my kit. Anyway, this kit wasn't handled with the best of care. It's has a lot of scratches and dings, and some hardware issues I am still trying to fix. But I gave it a good cleaning, tightened all the screws, and replaced the horrendous stock heads with Remo clear pinstripes/ambassadors, and a powerstroke 3 kick batter. It's starting to shape up.

The kit is a Sonor Force 2001. I believe this is the earlier version 2001 which uses mahogany shells, and wine red wrap. Pretty standard sizes:

18x22 kick
10x12 tom
16x16 floor tom

Not my preferred sizes, but I'm not complaining since I am getting free use of the kit. Of course, my bandmate benefits too since I am fixing it up.

The snare is mine. A 5x14 maple shell Legend snare.

I figure I can use the open side of the double tom mount to attach a small boom arm for a splash cymbal.
HA! I ahd the same kit with a 20" kick in black wrap! looking good!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 AM

oh ya! i thought the same too till i saw the black snare.

awesome cleanup job, but more than that good photography skills.