DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Jack DeJohnette

I'm pretty surprised there wasn't one for him yet. Shall we discuss?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jack DeJohnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajtonic View Post
I'm pretty surprised there wasn't one for him yet. Shall we discuss?

Another one of lifes great mysteries tajtonic.

I've followed his playing since he played with Miles,Bill Evans and when he played in Cosmic Chicken the group that featured him and Bob Moses on drums,still have the LP. From all his early ECM recordings to right up to the present this true original has always been on my radar.

Jack's one of the true jazz drum greats we still have the fortune of having with us.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-24-2007, 12:06 AM

i'm currently in love with his comping on chet baker's she was too good to me (not to mention gadd's playing on that album as well... best jazz recording of his in my opinion). jack's another example of a fantastic all-around musician.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 AM

An incredible drummer. I love Jacks playing on Michael Breckers' "Tales form the Hudson."
Old 12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
An incredible drummer. I love Jacks playing on Michael Breckers' "Tales form the Hudson."
Don't forget Derek the very first studio project by Michael Brecker as a leader before that recording featuring Jack simply called "Michael Brecker". That whole album is a killer of musical compositions and great ensemble playing.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 AM

I started working a bit on his book, It is interesting seeing him transposed, he looks great on paper as he does sound. His ride groooves are like no other. He one of those cats that probably has a really interesting house with good books. You can almost hear his book collection in his music!
Has anyone else worked through his book?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat in the middle View Post
I started working a bit on his book, It is interesting seeing him transposed, he looks great on paper as he does sound. His ride groooves are like no other. He one of those cats that probably has a really interesting house with good books. You can almost hear his book collection in his music!
Has anyone else worked through his book?
If it's the one i'm thinking of yes about 25 years ago and still have my copy put away for safe keeping. He was also giving instructional recordings to all takers at that time too in the mail available on cassette tapes. He showed you how to develop ideas from the ground up in a ensemble situation playing off various song forms in standards in a trio setting. He played the piano and bass also on the recordings too. Still have his letters and tape recordings from that time in my treasure vault so to speak.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Anyone here have Saudades by Trio Beyond? good CD
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 PM

I love his ride cymbal sounds. I was fortunate to find a jack dejonette signature 22'' ride from the 80's and early 90's i think. It's dark grey in color. An incredible ride. Very dry, great bell. It's a thick one though. Here's a picture of it.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Anyone here have Saudades by Trio Beyond? good CD
That's a GREAT band. BBC Radio3 broadcast a incredible live concert about 6 months back of a performance by the trio in London last year. Jack sounded totally on fire for that concert. Inspriring!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 PM

I've a concert in Copenhagen by them that was excellent. I was thinking about maybe getting that CD. They have a lot of the same tracks- pee wee, big nick, saudades, probably more too

on another note- I don't know what to think of his cymbals. They sound kind of one dimensional to me, but he certainly can make them sound good. I dunno-
Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I've a concert in Copenhagen by them that was excellent. I was thinking about maybe getting that CD. They have a lot of the same tracks- pee wee, big nick, saudades, probably more too

Sounds like plan. Go for it Jazz!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post

Jack's one of the true jazz drum greats we still have the fortune of having with us.
Absolutely! Even after all of these years, Jack's playing continues to touch me and move me emotionally like no other. True catharsis, in the classical Greek sense, where one is transported to a new territory of life and never the same again.

On "My Foolish Heart," the latest offering from the trio with Jarrett and Peacock (actually recorded back in 2001) Jack delivers more amazing performances--they even do a few numbers in Ragtime style! Trio Beyond's tribute to Tony Williams that was mentioned (Saudades) is incredible as well--that one spent a lot of time in my car's CD player when I got it last Spring.

Steamer, you have some real treasures there in the form of letters and tapes from Jack!

spleen
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Hi Guys. Happy New Year!

Jack is one of a most consistantly creative drummers I've incountered. I love his textures, very magical. Listen to 'to be Continued....' I love that track. Great groove, very dark.

If you want to see some great footage with Jack in, check out Miles Davis: Miles Electric: a different kind of blue DVD. Very cool.

Stay safe

Big T
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Absolutely! Even after all of these years, Jack's playing continues to touch me and move me emotionally like no other. True catharsis, in the classical Greek sense, where one is transported to a new territory of life and never the same again.

On "My Foolish Heart," the latest offering from the trio with Jarrett and Peacock (actually recorded back in 2001) Jack delivers more amazing performances--they even do a few numbers in Ragtime style! Trio Beyond's tribute to Tony Williams that was mentioned (Saudades) is incredible as well--that one spent a lot of time in my car's CD player when I got it last Spring.

Steamer, you have some real treasures there in the form of letters and tapes from Jack!

spleen
Always striving to be creative and super musical in any group situation you throw him in has put Jack on the top of my list Spleen. You can easily identify Jack in a few bars no matter the group just like all the other true originals in the history of modern jazz drumming. Jack also has an amazing handle on the complete history of jazz drumming which he can pull out of his musical pocket to surprise people at any given time. Saw him do Baby Dodds at a concert once and it brought the whole house down!. The man knows the history of the instrument and the music.

And yes you better believe it on point two.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Anybody heard his playing on MIchael Brecker's "Pilgrimage". Esp on the title track, "Anagram" and "Tumbleweed".

Unbelievable player, so melodic.

On his drummerworld page, John Abercrombie says "Jack has a great beat. If you can find it..." Great quote!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

FYI--There is a wonderful interview with/article about Jack in the new Traps magazing (Jack is on the cover). Very well done and definitely worth checking out!

spleen
Old 01-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

My all time favorite Jack De Johnette album's "Timeless", with John Abercrombie and Jan Hammer rounding out the trio. 1975. Jack had already proved himself to be a Jedi Master, and now he was just shredding because he could. Really off the hook stuff.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM

An extremely innovative drummer. I especially enjoy his earlier Fusion with Miles and New Directions.

I haven't seen his modern stuff where he makes use of his larger kit (and those tonal bells), but if it was anything like his earlier stuff, it's sure to be good.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
FYI--There is a wonderful interview with/article about Jack in the new Traps magazing (Jack is on the cover). Very well done and definitely worth checking out!

spleen
x2 on that opinion; awesome magazine. If you're into behind the average mainstream drummers, this is the magazine for you!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 AM

There's an outstanding album of Don Byron's with Jack and Jason Moran, most of the tracks dont have a bass but the sound is completely filled by all three of their unique sounds. Jack Dejohnette is the master of tension and resolution behind a drum kit and this album really accentuates it.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Jack is probably one of the most organic drummers i've ever heard. Especially his work with Keith Jarrett- It's almost like he lets the drums play him. Very avant garde...

I have his ride too. Fantastic instrument.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Just to remind us all that he's still at the top of his game and indeed the greatest of the living veteran jazz master drummers still with us take the time to check this out. No need for more talk since Jack "speaks" for himself on these clips:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVol...eature=related

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jype9...eature=related

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Pioneer Member

I would love to see Trio Beyond, that would be so killin.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Just to remind us all that he's still at the top of his game and indeed the greatest of the living veteran jazz master drummers still with us take the time to check this out. No need for more talk since Jack "speaks" for himself on these clips:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVol...eature=related

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jype9...eature=related
Thanks for posting that Stan. The man is amazing ! I was listening to "Tales From the Hudson" in my truck to and from work today and now this.

Yeah, he speaks for himself.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Thanks for posting that Stan. The man is amazing ! I was listening to "Tales From the Hudson" in my truck to and from work today and now this.

Yeah, he speaks for himself.
Your welcome Derek. His extended solo in part 1 demonstrates the true original and master of the instrument that Jack is. Totally amazing and inspiring!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

By the way the tune Spectrum they are playing on is on "Emergency" Tony Williams Lifetime. Trio Beyond certainly is in the "spirit" of the original recorded version of Spectrum written by John McLauglin and performed by Tony Williams, John McLaughlin and Larry Young back in the studio in NY in 1969.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Everyone has been mentioning the likes of "Trio Beyond" and "Saudades" but I have yet to see any reference to the likes of "Standards Live"; Jarrett and Peacock with Jack masterfully driving the manic trio in the background.
I love Keith Jarrett's "ooh's and aah's" by the way, very post-depressive. Keeps things swinging indefatigably.
Really mean Ride, Snare and Bass rhythms all conjured up into one scintillating whirl pool of
percussive art. One of my favourite albums. Check it out!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 AM

Man,
Jackie Mclean- Jacknife. One of my favorite records ever.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gayge View Post
Man,
Jackie Mclean- Jacknife. One of my favorite records ever.
Good call, his early albums with Jackie, Chick and Charles Lloyd, etc. (though not Miles, oddly) are often overlooked by many who think his discography begins with Keith. For the seeds of what Jack has become, it starts with this stuff!

G
Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
Good call, his early albums with Jackie, Chick and Charles Lloyd, etc. (though not Miles, oddly) are often overlooked by many who think his discography begins with Keith. For the seeds of what Jack has become, it starts with this stuff!

G
I believe along with this was his trio recording with Bill Evans which is all pretty early Jack stuff. Have the Jackie M., Charles L. and the Bill Evans trio album with Eddie Gomez on bass on vinyl. The Miles stuff is only seen on the concert footage and some rare bootleg recordings which I got years ago and it is KILLING {try YouTube}

Talk about early stuff how about Cosmic Chicken with both Bob Moses and Jack on drums. Jack on melodica with Bob covering the drum chair on a few tracks. I have pretty close to what I believe to be a complete collection of all of Jack's most early recordings on vinyl I searched out at used jazz record shops many a year ago.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I believe along with this was his trio recording with Bill Evans which is all pretty early Jack stuff. Have the Jackie M., Charles L. and the Bill Evans trio album with Eddie Gomez on bass on vinyl. The Miles stuff is only seen on the concert footage and some rare bootleg recordings which I got years ago and it is KILLING {try YouTube}

Talk about early stuff how about Cosmic Chicken with both Bob Moses and Jack on drums. Jack on melodica with Bob covering the drum chair on a few tracks. I have pretty close to what I believe to be a complete collection of all of Jack's most early recordings on vinyl I searched out at used jazz record shops many a year ago.
Yeah, but I think everyone knows Live in Montreaux. Then there's his record with Joe Henderson, 'Power to the People' in 69, Joe Farrell in 70 and 72 (or 73), there's a ton of his early stuff that tends to be overlooked, depending on where we draw the 'early' line, I suppose. And um, I'm assuming you've forgotten about Live Evil, Black Beauty and Bitches Brew from Miles (plus the recently released 'Another Kind of Blue' on DVD from the Isle of Wight)?=)

Never liked Compost (either of them) or Cosmic Chicken, actually.

G
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

The Joe F. and Joe H. albums are pretty happening. Have both of those on vinyl too. The stuff I was thinking about was the group with Corea, McLaughlin and Dave Holland on bass. This is what came right after Tony left Miles before the whole Bitches Brew thing and around the same time as "Emergency" with Lifetime was recorded and released.

Samples from the 2 bootleg recordings I made reference to earlier of this group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSc-YUubpFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hryoz...eature=related

There is concert footage too but it would appear YouTube may have removed it since I can't find anymore. It's in the collection of the chap from South America who has collected all the rare jazz concert footage, forgot his name. If I find it I will post it down the road.

Yes I REALLY enjoyed the New Directions group which followed more than the Compost band. Saw them back in the very late 70's in a small club. Amazing stuff!

Update:

Okay here we go and discovered some new rare Miles footage I hadn't seen yet but of the Miles group I had in mind. Not the exact band from the recorded bootleg around the same time period {no Miles} but some brief burning Jack with the Miles Quintet with Wayne Shorter and Dave Holland on bass. Antibes Jazz 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuUII...eature=related

And one of the same group from the collection of the jazz collector I mentioned from the same concert in 69 of Jack with Miles:

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-06-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
\Never liked Compost (either of them) or Cosmic Chicken, actually.G
Gregg no like jazz rock? kidding..; )

Since you/Stan have great historical perspectives, ( and all the albums on this planet ) who do you think JdJ borrowed more from Elvin or Haynes? ( partly Tony too, with the Scofield trio stuff... )

All 3 had this incredible ability to create total freedom within the spaces of the tune and their role as drummers.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yes I REALLY enjoyed the New Directions group which followed more than the Compost band. Saw them back in the very late 70's in a small club. Amazing stuff!

[/url]
Yes, I was going to ask about that. Great stuff. Back in that late 70's early 80's he was on many ECM recordings. I guess he was their staff 'go to' guy.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
The Joe F. and Joe H. albums are pretty happening. Have both of those on vinyl too. The stuff I was thinking about was the group with Corea, McLaughlin and Dave Holland on bass. This is what came right after Tony left Miles before the whole Bitches Brew thing and around the same time as "Emergency" with Lifetime was recorded and released.

Samples from the 2 bootleg recordings I made reference to earlier of this group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSc-YUubpFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hryoz...eature=related

There is concert footage too but it would appear YouTube may have removed it since I can't find anymore. It's in the collection of the chap from South America who has collected all the rare jazz concert footage, forgot his name. If I find it I will post it down the road.

Update:

Okay here we go and discovered some new rare Miles footage I hadn't seen yet but of the Miles group I had in mind. Not the exact band from the recorded bootleg around the same time period {no Miles} but some brief burning Jack with the Miles Quintet with Wayne Shorter and Dave Holland on bass. Antibes Jazz 1969:

And one of the same group from the collection of the jazz collector I mentioned from the same concert in 69 of Jack with Miles:

Yeah, you're right, that group is only bootlegged and like you, I'm happy to have all that are out there. The guy from South America on Youtube is 'Pedrosjazzvideos' or something, I love that guy, he has tons of stuff. And there are 2 Farrell albums, by the way, 'Quartet' in 70 and 'Moon Germs' in 72. Both are great. Then there are the one offs by people like Hubert Laws, Nick Brignola and a few others from the early 70's that aren't coming to me right now....

Early Jack on ECM is my favourite Jack, I love the Directions and New Directions stuff too.

As for Jack's Roy influences, I think it's pretty clear that Jack is mostly Tony and Elvin. It's been said a billion times, that's because it's true. On the early stuff, especially the Lloyd and Corea he really sounds like Tony, a fact which Jack freely admits- he WANTED to. So much so that you can confuse the 2 at times. His Elvin influence is there in the slower tempos, concept of the set as whole and his triplets. I honestly don't hear a lot of Roy at all. Jack is more fluid, not staccato, more rounded and much more complex than Roy, to name a few differences. As the years went by (let's say early-mid 70-s ish), Jack became much more highly developed as his own person and was much easier to identify, though Elvin and Tony were always there. This is why Jack is the last great true American Jazz master, he is literally a product of the 2 first real 'modern' drummers.

And I meant to say, there was a matched grip thread around here or something where Jack was mentioned- he switched because of back pain- it made him lean a certain way, so I'm told. If you watch Jack play matched, you can certainly see the lean=).

edit- oh yeah, Aydee, I like some "Jazz rock", but I just don't like those albums, even though I should for so many reasons.

G
Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Aydee I think early on Jack was coming from a extension of Elvin and his concepts but with a big Roy Haynes influence too {up tempo swing phrasing}. Tony is in the mix certainly too. On the Jackie M. album you can certainly hear the Elvin influence in this early Jack recording. Ultimately Jack became a complete original voice in my view.

Delta all those New Directions ECM recordings are a trip. I liked the original lineup {2 horns, bass and Jack on piano in a few numbers} of Special Edition too which I also saw live at a outdoor concert on their first tour I believe in 80/81 {?}. A 20 minute intense duet at that concert between Jack and Chico Freeman changed my life forever :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Still can't find that other full color footage from Antibes of Jack with Miles i've seen but I did find clips of Jack from 68 with Charles Lloyd:

Clips from the B+W "Jazz Casual" TV show of Jack with Charles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceGf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULryG...eature=related

Rare early Keith Jarrett clip in a trio format with Jack from 67:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq1tG...eature=related

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for these, Stan... fun to watch..

Didn't know that a 'young' Lloyd was a George Duke lookalike ( ; )

Check him out with Zakir & Eric Harland too. Something called Sangam. Very cool.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Bingo! Okay here's the color footage of the Miles group I was thinking about which Jack is playing on. I have a cassette tape of this concert I was given a few years back.

Miles from 69. Some free playing up front with the head of Agitation kicking in at the 5.39 point. Some burning Miles, Wayne and Jack to follow :} Amazing and wish they posted more clips from this concert! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_Rea--Gv8

Info from YouTube clip:

Recorded for Danish Radio broadcast on November 4, 1969 at Tivoli Konsertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark.

This was a short European Tour just after Miles and his band finished Bitches Brew recording sessions in August.

Miles Davis Quintet featuring Wayne Shorter (ss, ts), Chick Corea (el-p), Dave Holland (b, el-b), and Jack DeJohnette(d)

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan