DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Best, most response hi hat stand on market?

Guys,

I am a professional drummer who is looking to upgrade the hi-hat stand. I have an old Ludwig stand that was part of a practice drumset I used to have (the rest of the setup is professional hardware I've bought over time, on top of a Yamaha Beech Custom set). One thing that I've always felt unsatisfied with is my hi hat stand. I cannot seem to do quick, eighth-note patterns on the hi-hat (common in jazz, fusion, and fast funk styles). It's too hard...

I'm wondering if it's my technique, or if there are hi-hat stands out there specifically designed to make it easier to reproduce fast, eighth note feel patterns.

What's a good hi-hat stand out there...specifically in feel, responsiveness, and EASE of playing.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Best, most response hi hat stand on market?

giving it a little kick...still need help on this.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Big_Philly

I don't know what you're playing now but so far I have been very happy with my Tama Roadpro. You can also have a look at the iron cobra's.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM

The Iron Cobra is a great stand, two legged, sturdy, different sensitivity levels - I love mine.
from your
tv set

Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Pioneer Member

I use the two legged double-braced Yamaha stand, typical Yammie excellence, nice carry case as well.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks guys...I will look into your selections, read up reviews on them, and make a decision.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

I've used Gibraltar's Liquid Drive hat stand for a couple years now and I really like it.
MODEL 9607DL-LD
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...id=120&cid=27#

I got the one with the small third leg in order to fit under my Ft on that side but it comes in a regular 3 leg version too...
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...sid=120&cid=27

I actually bought a second one for my rehearsal kit pretty much right after I got the first one.

I like this hat stand because you have a pretty wide adjustment for the spring feel--which all levels feel good--but, what I like most is the feel of the pedal is the same pushing down as it is coming back up.

I haven't gotten that with other top line pedals I've owned (DW, Tama, Ludwig & Yamaha).

It's very smooth and quick, & the Liquid Drive has made doing the heel toe hat "splash" thing very easy.

It's also a very sturdy stand without being real heavy, and it's built to last for years--it's been very road worthy (2 years now) and no problems at all.
Easy to adjust and set up to your foot feel preference too.

It's not overpriced either which is a big plus.

Check it out if you can.
Hope this can help.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
The Iron Cobra is a great stand, two legged, sturdy, different sensitivity levels - I love mine.

I use one of these regularly and it IS a good hi hat stand.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM

I've not tried some of the others mentioned below, but I have used lots of stands over the years (Pearl, DW, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc.) and two months ago I got a hold of a DW 9500 hi-hat stand. It is incredible!! When it's closed, it's closed!! It's the first time I've been able to play 8th notes at fast tempos with out a lot of superfluous movement or noise. It also features an easy access wing bolt to adjust the tilt of your bottom cymbal. This stand is very impressive. I bought several pieces of 9000 series hardware at the same time, including a single pedal but the hi-hat stand impressed me the most. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be THIS good. So good in fact that I've been able to experiment with some new patterns with more involved hi-hat.

I believe there are 2- and 3-leg versions. I have the 2-leg which is mostly what you'll see. Would love to hear your thoughts if you do end up buying one!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

I own two different DW 5000's, one from the 80's and one from the 90's. The older DW is a 3 legged model the newer is 2 legged. They both feel great and have held up exceptionally well under all kinds of gigs.

I'm practicing out of John Riley's 'Beyond Bop' book and the hi-hat parts are integral for his material. I get great response out my DW's for this type of music. I also have been getting into some of the type of playing Billy Ward talks about on his Big Time and Voices in My Head DVD's. With a Rhythm Tech Hat Trick, I can (after working on it) get a hi hat foot chick without a full tambourine sound. I don't think that will happen on less sensitive hi hat stands.

The only other hi hat stand I own is a Yamaha HS-740. I bought it as a gigging stand because I wanted something lighter than the DW's. It's nice and works well but is just not as smooth as the DW's are.

I would like to get some DW 9000 hardware. Just waiting for the next gravy train to get here. :)

Jim
Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best, most response hi hat stand on market? Pt. 2

BTW: Just read the last part of the OP's post.

I do believe it takes a lot of focussed practice to get smooth 8th notes via foot on hi hat patterns. If you are like me you can slip into 'hyper-bunny mode' and not notice bacuse the volume of the rest of the kit drowns out the foot chick.

These days I'm paying close attention to how my hi hat patterns sound, sometimes isolating the part and trying different foot techniques (heel down, heel toe, etc) to get the right feel and sound at different tempos. I started doing this a few years ago when I bought my K Zildjian 13" Mastersounds. The foot chicks are more audible and therefore more exposed. A good stand and the right cymbals (and practice) can work wonders.

Jim
Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefoxer View Post

......old Ludwig stand
Even John Bonham dumped his Ludwig hi-hat stand in favor of a Rogers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefoxer View Post
I cannot seem to do quick, eighth-note patterns on the hi-hat (common in jazz, fusion, and fast funk styles).

What's a good hi-hat stand out there...specifically in feel, responsiveness, and EASE of playing.
I play a single braced Yamaha hi-hat stand, basically like Steve Gadd used for years, a pre-700 series.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

You should try the Tamaha 8th note model. You can't play any other note values with it, though, so make sure you're totally into those eighth notes!

Pretty much all manufacturers make at least decent hi-hat stands. Unless there's some evident friction and grinding happening, lack of speed is most likely a technical issue. A smooth action helps, of course, but I'm yet to come across a cheap (and working) hi-hat stand that didn't accomodate my (mediocre) technique.

That being said, I'm driving a Yamaha HS950 -- a very nice piece of equipment.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

I don't really get a lot of these gear threads these days.

There is product parity in everything that we use nowadays, whether its soaps, tvs, cars or drums. Everything has more or less the same build quality, even if techniques might differ slightly. For the right money, you'll get great Luddies, Yammies, Gretschs, or whatever. Sure you can really get into the woods, plys, etc.. and as far as shells go, people have personal preferences, but......... the most reponsive hi-hat out there?

Buy the higher end offering of any company. ( cough, cough..as long as its a Yamaha.. even Kumu owners go Yamaha for hihats ; )
Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Even Kumu owners go Yamaha for hihats ; )
Yeah, I really wanted a Kumu hi-hat stand (hand made of Finnish birch, with a side hole to prevent air locks within the shaft), but it was just too expensive...
Old 09-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to rank the Yamaha HH stand second. You cannot beat Pearls equivalent...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=447804

It feels unbelievable. It has a cam inside, so it moves smooth like a bass pedal. It's fantastic.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

I'll throw out another recommendation for the DW 5000 series hi hat stand. I had an older Ludwig before this, and since then tried the Gibraltar (an excellent stand), an Iron Cobra, Pearl, and a few models of Yamaha. The DW is easily the most responsive to me.

It's spoiled me, actually. I play electronic drums at church, and even the Roland V-Drums can't capture the subtlety that my DW stand has.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Yeah, I really wanted a Kumu hi-hat stand (hand made of Finnish birch, with a side hole to prevent air locks within the shaft), but it was just too expensive...
It would make an excellent addition to your kit man, the wooden throne they make is great to, with a hole in the seat, to prevent air getting stuck between the bum and the seat...the wood's kinda hard though (but very responsive!).
Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 AM

If you have a store that sells PDP, try out the BOA hat stand. Very quiet and get good reviews. At 6:20 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qots2...eature=related
Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 AM

I would like to put in another good word toward Tama's Iron Cobra hi-hat stand. I own it and I think it is absolutely awesome - I love it. I haven't owned the other companies' top of the line stands though, so I can't rank it against the DW or Pearl stands. Definitely put it on your list of models to seriously consider, though.