Post your Gig Pics

My only thought on "when they should quit" is if they start to suck as musicians.
Good songs are good songs, so if they can be played well, the group still has the passion to perform, and people will come see it....then do it.

Good point. But chops or not, when they quit moving forward creatively, then they become glorified cover bands.

I can respect the business sense in that but don't see much musical integrity in it. I don't know...maybe it's the audience who is to blame for not expecting more?

I can respect the business sense in that but don't see much musical integrity in it. I

Think about it dude, would YOU rather have 'musical integrity' and actually work for a living or play some big songs your band put out x numbers of years ago that people love to hear and make a decent pile of money doing it.

Think about it dude, would YOU rather have 'musical integrity' and actually work for a living or play some big songs your band put out x numbers of years ago that people love to hear and make a decent pile of money doing it.

I have thought about it, for many years. I can't speak to music because I've never wanted to do it for a living. But in my profession I've always chosen integrity rather than fame and money.

Good point. But chops or not, when they quit moving forward creatively, then they become glorified cover bands.

I can respect the business sense in that but don't see much musical integrity in it. I don't know...maybe it's the audience who is to blame for not expecting more?

...hmmm.....something like KISS?...oh wait, you said musical integrity...sorry...hahaha!

When I was a kid I really got into KISS, and I still like a lot of the songs and they are fun to play (cool songs, not R&R All Nite...) and people really dig some of the good obscure stuff when we do a cover.

But the last studio effort (Psyco Circus...uggh jeeze....) was pretty lame (being generous) IMO, there's some decent bits, but .....it's a bad record.

The "Band" is a tribute now to what it was IMO...but people still go and pay to see it.

Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are great players, but they're in a high paid cover band situation IMO...which wouldn't suck...I'd like to be doing it (maybe--you never know what it's really like!).

I get what you are saying, and it's that way when it's ONE guy and maybe not even the main member going out and calling it "X" like it's "the band".

Thin Lizzy was like that a few years ago. There's one guy from the band, and he was a lesser known guy (and he might not have even been an original member) who hired big name players and went out as "Thin Lizzy".

Kinda lame, on the other hand, it's a great way to see Tommy Aldridge up really close really playing in a gig situation and not in a clinic.

Groups like Bachman/Comings are playing "the hits", but they have people that still want to hear them, and they get hired to do some pretty HIGH DOLLAR events, which say's there's a lot of opportunity out there for a GOOD group other than "touring" and selling records.

If you are a musician, you play.

I was surprised at all the stuff they do--some pretty cool sh*t from what the band was saying.

Cheap Trick.....not just playing the hits and living off the past.
They have a prtety big and loyal fan base too.
Go on their site and look the tour itinerary....lots of dates.

They go to Austrailia in the next month for a bunch of shows, and I think they're pretty solidly booked the rest of the year!
They also put out albums that are good--even though they get no air-play--and they do more than play the hits (which people forget that they have several hits).

The stuff "radio" plays now is full of a lot of the same sounding crap, and with the net, people can discover cool a$$ music like the old days when it was more word of mouth and bands grew a loyal following and not just become the flavor of the month and then fade away.

The Cars...they weren't the original BAND, but with Eliot Easton and Greg Hawkes, they really had the original SOUND, and they played GREAT.
Todd Rundgren can sing in the range covering Ben Orr and Ric Okasek(sp?), and did a fine job....but I can see the "cover band" in that situation, but people loved it, and they sounded great, so the "musical" part was absolutely there.

In my line of work I have picked integrity (and working with good honest people over big money and BS dealing with shallow back stabbing a-holes--I'm in graphic design/advertising) over money as well.
Not that I don't do pretty dang good, but my snare drum collection isn't as cool as some here....I won't mention any names....but there's a custom gold plated engraved snare with their name on it on this forum somewhere.... :)haha all in good fun!

...hmmm.....something like KISS?...oh wait, you said musical integrity...sorry...hahaha!

When I was a kid I really got into KISS, and I still like a lot of the songs and they are fun to play (cool songs, not R&R All Nite...) and people really dig some of the good obscure stuff when we do a cover.

But the last studio effort (Psyco Circus...uggh jeeze....) was pretty lame (being generous) IMO, there's some decent bits, but .....it's a bad record.

The "Band" is a tribute now to what it was IMO...but people still go and pay to see it.

Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are great players, but they're in a high paid cover band situation IMO...which wouldn't suck...I'd like to be doing it (maybe--you never know what it's really like!).

I get what you are saying, and it's that way when it's ONE guy and maybe not even the main member going out and calling it "X" like it's "the band".

Thin Lizzy was like that a few years ago. There's one guy from the band, and he was a lesser known guy (and he might not have even been an original member) who hired big name players and went out as "Thin Lizzy".

Kinda lame, on the other hand, it's a great way to see Tommy Aldridge up really close really playing in a gig situation and not in a clinic.

Groups like Bachman/Comings are playing "the hits", but they have people that still want to hear them, and they get hired to do some pretty HIGH DOLLAR events, which say's there's a lot of opportunity out there for a GOOD group other than "touring" and selling records.

If you are a musician, you play.

I was surprised at all the stuff they do--some pretty cool sh*t from what the band was saying.

Cheap Trick.....not just playing the hits and living off the past.
They have a prtety big and loyal fan base too.
Go on their site and look the tour itinerary....lots of dates.

They go to Austrailia in the next month for a bunch of shows, and I think they're pretty solidly booked the rest of the year!
They also put out albums that are good--even though they get no air-play--and they do more than play the hits (which people forget that they have several hits).

The stuff "radio" plays now is full of a lot of the same sounding crap, and with the net, people can discover cool a$$ music like the old days when it was more word of mouth and bands grew a loyal following and not just become the flavor of the month and then fade away.

The Cars...they weren't the original BAND, but with Eliot Easton and Greg Hawkes, they really had the original SOUND, and they played GREAT.
Todd Rundgren can sing in the range covering Ben Orr and Ric Okasek(sp?), and did a fine job....but I can see the "cover band" in that situation, but people loved it, and they sounded great, so the "musical" part was absolutely there.

In my line of work I have picked integrity (and working with good honest people over big money and BS dealing with shallow back stabbing a-holes--I'm in graphic design/advertising) over money as well.
Not that I don't do pretty dang good, but my snare drum collection isn't as cool as some here....I won't mention any names....but there's a custom gold plated engraved snare with their name on it on this forum somewhere.... :)haha all in good fun!
Kiss WAS cool, they never sold out, they were exactly like they were from the start and never said they were any better musicians than they were. They put together a complete SHOW, lots of bands have done it, they were just more successful at it that's all. I'd say there's PLENTY of integrity there as it hasn't changed since the begining. And what's bad about Rock and Roll all night?? :O The Peter Criss version is a fun song to play to. Let's face it, it's now a classic!! Kiss also gives young drummers something that they can handle at the beginning of the learning curve. And again, it's just fun stuff.

Bands going out as a lesser version sometimes are so bad it's embarrassing, (remember The Sweet?? There were TWO versions BOTH of which were just not up to the task.) however like you said, if they do an UPGRADE, it can be a GREAT thing for the future of a classic band. Let's face it Todd Rundgren is an upgrade, it's kind of like when Joe Walsh joined the Eagles, it was an UPGRADE 'cause everyone KNEW how great HE was!!

Bachman/Cummings aren't the lesser known end of their careers, they are the meat and potatoes and they've both still "got it" so it's all good.

Cheap Trick I believe is the entire original band and again, they still got what it takes to be as good as they were back in the day, maybe better. Bun-E is one of my favorite players.

My day gig? I work for money there, but music? I'll take a fun gig over a money one.

.. In my line of work I have picked integrity (and working with good honest people over big money and BS dealing with shallow back stabbing a-holes--I'm in graphic design/advertising) over money as well.

That's totally cool! I'm sure in advertising it very easy to lose yourself for dollar signs and petty politics. I know it can be cut-throat.

Whatever our disagreement on these bands, you seem like a very cool guy, who has the opportunity to play some prestigious gigs. I can dig that a lot.

Back to the pictures!!!

Last edited:
l_e4dd6faa56bc4053941f8a97618e048f.jpg

Not my kit, it's the venues house kit.
This show was opening up for the Ataris, one of the most fun ones to date.

...an oldie but goodie.

This was my Canwood kit.

barry

I have thought about it, for many years. I can't speak to music because I've never wanted to do it for a living. But in my profession I've always chosen integrity rather than fame and money.

That's very cool on paper, but I do want fame AND money, and drumming's not my only profession.
And if you have never wanted to make a living playing music, you may just be on the wrong website, on the wrong forums, posting wrong things ;).

...As a member of the audience, all I want from an artist is an honest effort.

I want to get a sense that they are enjoying themselves as much as I am. If I go to see a "nostalgia" act, I want to hear the music and songs that are encoded in my DNA. Most of the concerts that I have been to lately are as much trips back into my past as they are musical experiences.

My wife and I went to see Elton John a couple of weeks ago. He went through his greatest hits, and each song was a memory of a time in my life, both good and bad. Crocidile Rock for example reminded me of junior high, and trying to steal a shirt feel off of Carla Slater. Someone Saved My Life Tonight brought me back to when I worked at Ye Olde Pizza, and how the knob that owned the place ripped me off and bounced a few of my paychecks. Sad Songs took me to the early days of when my wife and I first met, then moved to Northern BC. Every song he played had a place in my past. If he would have played a bunch of new stuff, I would have bood him.

As Karl says, great songs are great songs. As a hobby musician, a lot of these great songs inspire me to play music I enjoy with people that I like being with. I play music, for the same reason that I play hockey. I will never play in the NHL, or a sold out arena tour, so all that is left is fun.

Musical integrity is a term you hear from people who are either really rich and successfull, or poor and unheard of. The real reason that most people want to make a living with music is for money, chicks, and an excuse to sleep untill two oclock in the afternoon.

...Karl.

Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings are often reffered to as the Canadin version of Lennon and McCartney. They were the back bone of the Guess Who, and BTO, and their hits list is a whole other higway through my DNA. I saw them in concert a few years ago, and was floored by their show. I truly envy you for having had the opportunity to share the same stage as them.

Barry

That's very cool on paper, but I do want fame AND money, and drumming's not my only profession.
And if you have never wanted to make a living playing music, you may just be on the wrong website, on the wrong forums, posting wrong things ;).

I appreciate your opinion. I understood this was forum for everyone interested in drumming.

Musical integrity is a term you hear from people who are either really rich and successfull, or poor and unheard of.

Which do you think I am? Though, I don't think you are right that character is only a marker of privilege or rationalization for failure.

Which do you think I am? Though, I don't think you are right that character is only a marker of privilege or rationalization for failure.

...How do you measure failure ?

Barry

...How do you measure failure ?

Barry

Sorry, Barry, out of context, but this reminds me of a great Jackie Kennedy quote:

If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much."

Sorry, Barry, out of context, but this reminds me of a great Jackie Kennedy quote:

If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much."

...Namaste aydee.

It's funny you should mention this. My wife says much the same thing.

Barry

An older pic from the NORVA in Norfolk, VA. (different band too). I can't believ I don't have anything recent...

Sorry about the super-hugeness.

I suck.

19057.jpg

24020.jpg

39382.jpg

39384.jpg

39383.jpg

Back