DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Slave pedal to the left of the hi-hat pedal - help me out!

Hi everyone!
I really want to find a comfortable setup with my double-pedal and hi-hat pedal. I currently own Iron Cobra's, and I really really like them.
The only problem is that the connection-rod between the pedals is too short for me to have the slave pedal on the left side of the hi-hat pedal.
I would really love to have the slave pedal on the left side, since I'm mainly a single-pedal player. If I extend the connection-rod as far as possible, the hi-hat is extremely close, and really uncomfortable to play.

Help me out here! Can I buy an extra long connection-rod, or what? Thank you guys!

Zorlee...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Slave pedal to the left of the hi-hat pedal - help me out!

I have Tama IC's as well and am wrestling with the exact same issue.

I'm guessing the connecting rod is a standard-gauge piece of aluminum hex, and am contemplating ordering a piece through work and cutting it to a longer length that would allow me to get the slave pedal to the left and work my standard hat stand vs. the Ultra-Adjust I'm using now.

Will take a caliper to the connector rod in the next day or so and see what I can find. If I can find the same size, the hex bar will be a 12-footer, so I could certainly take some orders from others in the same predicament. If anyone with IC doubles is interested in a longer connecting rod and helping split some of the material costs, PM me. Could be cut to whatever length your heart desires…

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

If you wanted to buy some hex bar, you're going to need extremely lightweight stuff.

I'm having a hard time understanding your situation. Is your slave pedal positioned under one of the legs of the hi-hat stand, or completely beside it? If you mainly just play the single pedal, why should it matter? Could you take a picture?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky.widget View Post
I have Tama IC's as well and am wrestling with the exact same issue.

I'm guessing the connecting rod is a standard-gauge piece of aluminum hex, and am contemplating ordering a piece through work and cutting it to a longer length that would allow me to get the slave pedal to the left and work my standard hat stand vs. the Ultra-Adjust I'm using now.

Will take a caliper to the connector rod in the next day or so and see what I can find. If I can find the same size, the hex bar will be a 12-footer, so I could certainly take some orders from others in the same predicament. If anyone with IC doubles is interested in a longer connecting rod and helping split some of the material costs, PM me. Could be cut to whatever length your heart desires…

Cheers!
I would be really interested in that, if there aren't any other solutions. I just need say 3-4 inches longer...

The problem is that, when having your slave pedal on the left side of the hi-hat pedal (normally you have it on the right side, yes?), you don't get enough room for your legs. You will have to bend your legs, because of the size of the snare (regular 14" with metal rims), and bending your legs like this is NOT comfortable if you play longer than 5 mins, hehe!
I can take a picture of my current setup (the NOT comfortable setup!):

I would just need maybe 4 inches more from the connection rod, to make this happen...
(Size matters after all... Hahaha!)
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM

Well, I wouldn't cry if the slave pedal was on the right side. I would just take it off, and play single. BUT if I were to play double, I want it to the right.
The mechanism works (see picture), but it's just a bit too short...

EDIT: I see you deleted your post. Nevermind then :)
Old 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
If you wanted to buy some hex bar, you're going to need extremely lightweight stuff......
Happy B-Day !

Type 2024-T4 Aluminum Hex....

Although I haven't measured the connecting rod yet, it's got to be around 5/16" or 3/8", in which case we're looking at under 8 oz, even with a 36" long monstrosity (that even what's his face with the 'extra wide stance' couldn't use).

5/16" aluminum hex is .1025 lbs/foot (.008#/linear inch) and 3/8" hex is .148 lbs/foot (.012#/liner inch). 1/2" (which it absolutely isn't) is .26 lbs/foot.

I've also got the yield, tensile, and other mechanicals handy. I unfortunately do this crap for a living.....only because I ain't good enough on the skins! ;p
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM

You're talking about the grey aluminium rod within the black connection thingy? Right?
I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge about these things, haha! :)
But man, if this would work, then it would be great!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlee View Post
You're talking about the grey aluminium rod within the black connection thingy? Right?
I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge about these things, haha! :)
But man, if this would work, then it would be great!
yea that thingy.