DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Dave Weckl

HOW can you ever be "too polished" or too good? isn't that what we drummers strive for? yes,he could play punk if he chose with the vibe just as well as punk drummers... . but i could never see weckl doing that.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

i kinda of got lost in some of his doubles, but his grooves werre great.

BTW. his mullet was...unique
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
HOW can you ever be "too polished" or too good?
You know how Weckl has (or at least had back in the Electrik Band days) some critics out there, that he's too machine-like? Those critics were complaining because they heard something that they felt was "too polished." I know that some people wouldn't agree with my opinion, but I whole-heartedly think that you can be too refined and perfect, Weckl being perhaps Exhibit A in my argument. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dave's playing, and the original Electrik Band album is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't love him. I suppose I'd rather listen to someone gritty like Billy Martin or Mike Clark.

About the punk comment, I really don't think he could get that attitude down. It's gotta be sloppy-but-together in a way that is entirely uncalculated and unthinking, and yet Dave is a VERY cerebral drummer.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer View Post
You know how Weckl has (or at least had back in the Electrik Band days) some critics out there, that he's too machine-like? Those critics were complaining because they heard something that they felt was "too polished." I know that some people wouldn't agree with my opinion, but I whole-heartedly think that you can be too refined and perfect, Weckl being perhaps Exhibit A in my argument. Don't get me wrong, I really like Dave's playing, and the original Electrik Band album is a personal favorite of mine, but I don't love him. I suppose I'd rather listen to someone gritty like Billy Martin or Mike Clark.

About the punk comment, I really don't think he could get that attitude down. It's gotta be sloppy-but-together in a way that is entirely uncalculated and unthinking, and yet Dave is a VERY cerebral drummer.
Well, KzSgDrummer...have you ever seen Weckl live? I just did 4 nights ago from 10 feet away, and I have to tell ya...He was as "improv" as any drummer out there! And I got some GREAT video to back that up!

To describe what I SAW, the other night, would be FAR from "too refined and "too perfect", 'cause I BELIEVE those descriptions are NOT accurate or possible!

That's just MHO, and you would agree with me if you had been there Wednesday night to see DW perform his wonderful set with incredible style and precision, without being "robotic", as it seems SOME say he plays like!

Go see him with The Downright Upright Allstars, and see for yourself...Play On! ;-)
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

I've seen him live once, which was at the Drummer's Collective's 25th anniversary concert (you can see me on the DVD for about 4 seconds!) when he did the sick rendition of The Chicken. I have strong memories (or at least impressions) of Weckl's drumming on that song. And if I haven't already made it clear: I am a fan of Dave's; it's just I have no intention of copying his sound.

But overall we have differing opinions, in that I do believe there is such a thing as being "too refined" and "too perfect." A machine is perfect, yet I'm left feeling cold when listening to it -- why? Same thing goes with drummers. Weckl's early playing is nothing short of top-notch, yet I recoil from it in the same way I do when I hear a CD or mp3 that is overly bright and "crystally" -- it just sounds too crisp and clean for its own good. I'm human, and I want to hear the occasional imperfections and screw-ups.

But again, this is my personal taste -- I know I'm making very few friends by saying this stuff.

PS: Bromberg and crew were in Boston on Thursday.. three days ago. D'oh!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM
michael drums

Quote:
I've seen him live once, which was at the Drummer's Collective's 25th anniversary concert (you can see me on the DVD for about 4 seconds!) when he did the sick rendition of The Chicken. I have strong memories (or at least impressions) of Weckl's drumming on that song. And if I haven't already made it clear: I am a fan of Dave's; it's just I have no intention of copying his sound.

But overall we have differing opinions, in that I do believe there is such a thing as being "too refined" and "too perfect." A machine is perfect, yet I'm left feeling cold when listening to it -- why? Same thing goes with drummers. Weckl's early playing is nothing short of top-notch, yet I recoil from it in the same way I do when I hear a CD or mp3 that is overly bright and "crystally" -- it just sounds too crisp and clean for its own good. I'm human, and I want to hear the occasional imperfections and screw-ups.

But again, this is my personal taste -- I know I'm making very few friends by saying this stuff.

PS: Bromberg and crew were in Boston on Thursday.. three days ago. D'oh!
Aww...You missed your chance to see him! Yea, they played in Annapolis, Md at The Rams Head Tavern, the night before Boston! A FANTASTIC small venue for shows! And I couldn't of asked for a better seat as far as watching Weckl. It was an exceptional spot in reference to his set-up! A side view, totally unobstructed, and only ten or so feet away!

So you can see, that my review I posted on Thursday, was a "spot on" rendition of the evenings' event! And Weckl was "spot on" with his performance!

Though I disagree with the "too refined", etc...opinion of his playing, I concur with you about his "early playing" without the part about it sounding "too crisp and clean".

Play On! ;-)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 AM

My personal opinion...as a drummer, I admire his awesome technique. He can play almost every technique ever invented for drumset, very smoothly and fluent. But as a listener, I must confess that I don't get excited very much by his play.
I think...it's really hard to describe it by words...his play sounds "flat" for me. Of course there is a wide range of dynamics in volume, and there are a lot of notes between the bars, but no extreme overwhelming tension, nor totally laid-back relaxed mood, basically just flat morerate all the way through. So I can't feel his emotion through his playing. Sometimes I feel like studying math when I hear his playing.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

For any of you guys that say "Weckl always overplays" check out the new Jeff Lorber CD He had a hat ....

Dave is puttin down some monster paradiddle grooves on a couple of songs and a latin groove on another....Hes really showing his other side and playing in the pocket....

Oh and Vinnie is on five tracks also with Abe Jr filling out the rest.....
Its a great CD by a real jazz fusion legend.....
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
For any of you guys that say "Weckl always overplays" check out the new Jeff Lorber CD He had a hat ....
Or Frank Gambale's Thinking out Loud. Don't know whether its been discussed, can't be bothered with whole thread, but any Weckl fans who don't have this yet need it. A brilliant side to him.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM

As many of you said, Mr Weckl is an excellent drummer with finished technique and a perfect sound...

But the "problem" is that his musicians play over his rhythmic paths instead of the reverse.
His work is referring to the drummers, not to everyone...

He needs more music...

and of course all these are well-meant... you know that!

His technique developing dvd made me much more better a drummer, and his signature sticks are my favorite...
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

hey guys...

What do you prefer?

D.Weckl's sabian cymbals or the previous Zildjian selection???

I think that the zildjians are far away better...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoshii View Post
My personal opinion...as a drummer, I admire his awesome technique. He can play almost every technique ever invented for drumset, very smoothly and fluent. But as a listener, I must confess that I don't get excited very much by his play.
I think...it's really hard to describe it by words...his play sounds "flat" for me. Of course there is a wide range of dynamics in volume, and there are a lot of notes between the bars, but no extreme overwhelming tension, nor totally laid-back relaxed mood, basically just flat morerate all the way through. So I can't feel his emotion through his playing. Sometimes I feel like studying math when I hear his playing.

that is your problem

if he is flat !!!!!!!! he\s solos and drumming never gets boring!!!!!

relaxed ..........the most relaxed drummer on world!!!!! with all milion ghost notes between ??????? try to play all that we will talk another time!!!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoshii View Post

maybe should hear virgil donati "if don't like math" with his boring calculus and operations
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM

I really like the guy... I mean what's not to like about Dave Weckl. The guy is an institution...just here his playing on Master Plan, or any other solo album...I admire him because he really get the point...His tehnique was not so good when he became popular in mid 80'...he realized that and almost completly rebuild his style...it takes great personality to do that...Now he's got great sound, and great tehnique...but there is something on his playing that I don't really like...sometimes he is overplaying...and the perfect example for that is song chicken originaly performed by Jaco Pastorius and Erskine on drums.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Gold Member

i like his sabian series better then zildjian, sabian fits better to him. and personaly i loved weckl on synergy album, on the other albums i just like him, there is too much of him, that's truth, although it is perfect and amazing playing.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Dave is an amazing player - and a fantastic educator.

Most of us can only Wish we get anywhere Near his level of playing - or hours logged as a pro.

Weckl is the among the best of the best.

Sonor Safari for the win
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Dave Weckl = GREAT!

Bar none, one of, if not the most influential drummers of our times...
I am sure almost everysingle one of us picked up "Back to Basics", I know I did, andthat was the turning point for myself... I know before that video I was really into what I saw on Mtv, VH1, and just other drummers around. Mouth wide opened I would say "WOW I wish I could be like Lars Ulrich and Tommy Lee"... Well I went to Guitar Center and my dad and I asked the guy which video I can buy that will really give me a closer view of drumming and really just give me a new way of thinking... Well Back to Basics is what I got, and never stopped buying Dave's material there after...

His touch, technique, style, groove, solos is just simply great...

Ya his style may not be for everyone, but when talking about a drummer llike Weckl, I really really doubt we as musicians, not even drummers, just musicians, sit back and say "Naaa dont think I would wanna work with him"... IMHO, I think he is one of the most versital drummers out there...

Today there are a lot of other drummers that can come out and show their chops off, and really give an amazing solo...

But again, IMHO NONE of them have the feel of Weckl... Thomas Lang is probably the only one that MAY come close... And even Thomas Lang may have not had the same musical feel as did Dave, in Thomas's first instructional video... But I believe he is the closest...

Just my thoughts, my opinions, I have always been influenced by Weckl and continue to be...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

I really dig Weckl with his solo band. The first three albums have a great funky touch whereas the rest of his albums are much more fusionesque. I agree that Weckl sometimes overplay. That's the reason why one of his ex- bandmate stopped playing with him. He did not want to be in a "drum solo band" :-)

Personally I think Weckl is really unique. His feel and his sound are unmistakable. For those who think that he cannot groove or swing listen to The Honeydrippers (with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page) and Jay Graydon's "Bebop" albums.

A friend of mine hired Weckl to play on some of his stuff..... He is not cheap but it is amazing to see how much he brings on the table, how he brings a song to a much higher level. Some of my friend's stuff was recorded with a very very good local drummer/teacher and sound excellent. But when you listen to the tunes with Weckl you're in a different world. The whole band sound much better.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 AM

i think we all have to learn to receive and enjoy what every good drummer has to offer. Yes he may overplay sometimes, and the songs may be built around him, but that's exactly the concept of his band.
... he's a great drummer with amazing technique and he continues to grow in technique and sound... He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that..
If you listen to him you can learn a lot and he's one of those drummers who doesn't get stuck and in every new CD or DVD he has new things to show us or to help us become better drummers.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

I was fortunate enough to see Dave play with CC back in 1989/90. It was the only concert I have ever gone to where all of the members of the band had an instructional video for sale(along with the T-shirts) at the front gate. Dave opened the second set with a twenty minute drum solo. I'm not really big on drum solos (except when it's from one of the masters).

My EXwife and I split up that night, but at least I got to see Dave play.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 PM

does any one here feels like doesnt understand his solos?
like.. i think hes an awsome player.. and ive learned a lot from his instructional videos.. but i dont really understand his drumming.. (mostly the solos.. like the one on the beggining of "Back to basics")
is it just me?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Erik Lund

"He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that.."

I have all three of them lumped into the same category for me. Not sure what muzak in the world needs what you refer to as a more versatile Vinnie rather than Weckl...

I just feel there's a bit of a barrier between drummers of the jazz nature and the other drummers of many different kinds of nature - when they refer to players like Weckl and Vinnie and Bissionette as "jazz" drummers or "jazzy" or whatever. I don't know any serious jazz drummers who are listening to these guys for jazz...

Could just be me though.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
"He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that.."

I have all three of them lumped into the same category for me. Not sure what muzak in the world needs what you refer to as a more versatile Vinnie rather than Weckl...

I just feel there's a bit of a barrier between drummers of the jazz nature and the other drummers of many different kinds of nature - when they refer to players like Weckl and Vinnie and Bissionette as "jazz" drummers or "jazzy" or whatever. I don't know any serious jazz drummers who are listening to these guys for jazz...

Could just be me though.
this is true. pure modern jazz drummers are guys like lewis nash, watts, riley, stewart, erskine, etc. although out of those three up there i think vinnie is the most legit when it comes to straight up jazz. he just doesnt put himself in pure jazz situations that often. obviously weckl and bissonette can play jazz damn fine, but i think vinnie can dial in the style the best.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM

I'm glad it seems that most people in this thread enjoy and appreciate Dave, and I can't blame those who say Dave's not their cup of tea....

but it blows my mind when people say he's unoriginal or boring!!!

He's the extreme opposite fo me

But what I like most about Dave, as well as some of my other favs, is that he makes the drums a LEAD instrument, while also playing the drummer's role by holding down a groove a keeping time. His amazing chops just don't get in the way of his primary responsibilities

Busy, highly technical playing may not be your favorite but u cannot deny his creativity, phrasing, and execution.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Dave Weckl

Hey what do you guys think of Dave Weckl? I like his set up, His style, and His Sound.
What do u guys think?

Jeff

Last edited by DogBreath; 12-20-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM

I had the privilege of seeing Dave do a clinic in Milwaukee Wisconsin about 10 months ago. He put on a great show, was very personable and seems like he would be a great teacher. He offered a lot of in-depth information and I think ran about a half hour over.
I have seen clips of his videos but donít own any yet.

Happy holidays

dan
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM

Completely not my style of drummer, but as I was not playing for around 20 years, I recently heard him on this site and was amazed. The comment of making the drums the lead instrument while holding a groove (and quite a groove it is) covers it best. Wish I had 1/2 his talent.

I bought one of his cd and book combos, but the cd only plays in my computer, not my cd player. The bad part of this is that the computer at my kit has a dead cd drive.

Dave is exciting to hear and watch, wish they would promote shows like his in the Boston area. Happy new year.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rav View Post
does any one here feels like doesnt understand his solos?
I feel the opposite. I find his solos tell a story and no matter how many times I listen to them I always here something new and musical. One of my favourite soloists.

Quote:
but it blows my mind when people say he's unoriginal or boring!!!
Me too, Dave spawned many clones of his playing style. I can always pick out Dave's playing though, he has a unique sound and feel in his playing (the same way Virgil Donati does for me.)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
"No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock."

Yeah Weckl could play the notes of a punk groove, but I doubt he could get the raw and gritty vibe down. IMO he's too polished to pull it off.
I attended Dave's master class at Drumtech (London) last week. I can tell you, that guy can lay down a fat rock groove. He's not all Jazz.

The lesson was a real eye opener. He's technique is fantastic - so loose and fluent.

He spoke about how and why his setup and technique has changed over the years and it seems to me that he's a lot more about feel and groove than before.

He also mentioned that during that day, he was checking out his videos on Youtube and reading the comments of others! So, Dave if you're reading... Great class. Respect!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM

I adore Dave Weckl...I love everything about his drum playing. He's such an inspiration. The main thing I like about him is that his playing and solos sounds absolutely mind-blowing, yet they are totally understandable and playable and they still have the groove...they just need a lot of practice...hours and hours of practice...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM

This guy is simply a genius.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

i love dave weckl, you can tell hes getting old though

i recently dug up a sabian dvd from a year or two ago. and man, its sad to see weckl age

hes amazing!

and he talks cool

if you see him with his band its just incredible the chemistry they have

amazing
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Senior Pro Drummer

Dave Weckl knows ' what its all about ////
Butch Axsmith
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM

wow, some of the negative comments about Weckl are real eye openers. Of course not everyone sees or hears things the same so I'm not surprised. I've seen Weckl numerous times and I think hes one of the best drummers out there now, at what he does. His technique is solid and he has superb control on the kit. His playing on the Latin style tunes is very good.
Someone said they didn't care for Weckl's work with Michel Camilo and prefer his current drummer. I've seen Camilo with Dafnis and Dafnis was great. Do I prefer Dafnis over Weckl?
Not really. Each brings something different to the table and it's basically a matter of what your taste is. Even if I didn't care for Weckl's music I'd still give him high marks for his abilities. Hard for me to find fault with his considerable abilities. If I did I'd be nitpicking.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Pioneer Member

I saw weckl in clinic last night in Falmouth, Maine and it was the most informative, educational clinic I've attended yet, much more so then, donati, bozzio, even Thomas Lang's. I learned a lot of new techniques I'd overlooked that I will be starting to work on, as well as ergonomic drum placement.

His chops were amazing, and he even demonstrated some Heavy rock grooves that were killer, to show a proper and improper way of pulling them off. If you get the chance, don't miss him.

Although after the show when he was signing autographs he seemd stressed.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion

Last edited by Drumsword; 09-23-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post

Dave is puttin down some monster paradiddle grooves on a couple of songs and a latin groove on another....Hes really showing his other side and playing in the pocket....

Oh and Vinnie is on five tracks also with Abe Jr filling out the rest.....
Its a great CD by a real jazz fusion legend.....
Do you have a list of who plays on which song? I only downloaded the mp3s. Quite hard to distinguish who is who...

Cheers,
Tim
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscocks View Post
Have you listened to Weckls 'Master Plan' or 'Hard Wired' albums? These show musical, AND technical drumming. There is no way you can say Weckl isn't musical! If he wasn't he wouldn't be a successfull studio drummer, full stop. Much prefer Weckl as a technical drummer to Steve Smith, and I think his style is smoother and sometimes preferable to Vinnies when they go onto more technical stuff...
Master Plan and synergy are my 2 fave weckl cd's. Awesome stuff. And your absolutely correct If weckl wasn't a Musical player....he wouldn't be playing. He and Vinnie are huge influences for me. Not that i'd ever be worthy to even polish their drums, lol.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 09-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Did anyone go to the clinic in Hollywood Florida? I liked it, but I wish he would've played more and talked less. I also think he sounds better when his drums are tuned differently.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Yup was at the Weckle clinic in Hollywood Fla. I thought he did a great job. Gave some really good tips. I really liked the Sabian Evolutions. Funny thing is the new Sabian Evolutions HH don't sound any different to me then my current discontinued Sabian Flat hats!
Yamaha wnats a lot of green for the Phoenix series. Not so sure they are worth it. Don't get me wrong I play Yamaha.

The clinic would have been better if he had some backup players. If you ever have seen him with a band, he feeds off the members, and the exchanges are pretty creative. So from that perspective he was not in his glory the other night. All in all he still is one of the top players in my book!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I was there as well.
Hung out after wards at Jeffs place with Dave and the crew.

That kit isn't as much as Darrell said it was. About half that but...still high dollar.
Played it after and they do have an interesting sound. To me though....sounds like a drum! Haha.

Dave always knows what to do in each situation and I enjoyed the clinic.

I tell ya though....after playing and hanging at the MD fest all weekend...only to come home and do it another day.....I'm all drummed out!
Haha.

Cheers guys.
D.