DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Erik Lund

Default Jim Black

I searched and couldn't find a thread about Jim Black, so here's one.

I'm listening to him on Saturation Point (Bloodcount) and the last track from a live show "The Opener" - Jim's playing is amazing throughout but that drum solo? When I first got this album 5-6 years ago, I don't want to say I was really jaded with drum solos, but I wasn't finding too much that was new and exciting...Enter Jim Black.

First off - just his drum sound itself is so unique. I've never seen him play live (hmm...maybe I should youtube him...I love when obvious answers take me forever to get to) but I absolutely need to. How is he achieving these sounds/rhythms? Amazing.

I have him mostly on a bunch of Bloodcount stuff - and a few other albums here and there (Ellery Eskelin's "A Great Day") and he is truly amazing/ridiculous. He throws in a lot of different influences, and I can totally see the rock drummers on here being blown away as well as the jazz guys.

Seriously - Pick up Saturation Point or the 3 disc set "Unwound" and you will be blown away by this man's drumming.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Erik Lund

Default Re: Jim Black

I mean, I know most of you couldn't care about any of these drummers I recommend ("Screw these 'weird guys'") but I think you guys would actually LIKE Jim Black...

All I read about from most of the people here (when giving criticism about others' playing) is groove groove groove - as if that's the only thing that matters (it's not). And Black could totally destroy just about anybody's sense of "groove" with what he plays.

I am going to scold and scold until something happens.

Get some music you never would have - you'll be amazed. This man is the real deal.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Dude, I only created a Gary Novak thread in the Drummer section last week - the fact is, many drummers, including monsters, just don't grab other drummers imagination. If they're making music that appeals to only the tiny minority then don't get your hopes up.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Pioneer Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBeJ3wSR9b8

Well,my interest aroused, I took an initial look at this; perhaps you can understand why I wasn't keen on persevering, possibly one of the most irritating Youtube videos ever!
He's certainly a great jazz player though, very forceful touch.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 AM

OK, Eric...

I found this:

This guy's music is definitely more accessible than some of the others. BUT, It is still in the 'FAR OUT' genre.

Eric, honestly, this guy may be truly great (I hear the chops), but I have a hard time listening to him. I just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept. It's up there with "Revolution Number 9"...I heard it once and that's all I could take! LOL!

But, You keep sending the music and I'll keep trying to comprehend! My brain may eventually evolve...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Erik Lund

Okay - while alasnoaxis is an okay place to start - remind me elsewhere fellas:

Where did I say "Find me a random Youtube video to go by"......? Can you find it? I doubt it since I didn't say it. I said "Buy 'Saturation Point'"

I swear, the clip jonescrusher pulled up - Black, in that first clip when he actually started playing, was tighter than anything any one of us could muster, and I hear crap-talk...Could you people please listen TO THE DRUMMER FOR ONCE?!?!?!?!

Did you not watch the video? Did you not see the flawless technique (which everyone here is so enthralled and knowledge-able about...[sarcasm])?

I am simply feeling sorry for the drummers out there who don't give 2 craps about Jim Black. The guys in NYC and Europe who know him know what's up. I will insult you face-to-face if we ever meet.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Pioneer Member

So if I don't dig him you will insult me to my face....riiiight. So much for a difference of opinion mattering!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post

Where did I say "Find me a random Youtube video to go by"......? Can you find it? I doubt it since I didn't say it. I said "Buy 'Saturation Point'"

I swear, the clip jonescrusher pulled up - Black, in that first clip when he actually started playing, was tighter than anything any one of us could muster, and I hear crap-talk...Could you people please listen TO THE DRUMMER FOR ONCE?!?!?!?!

Did you not watch the video? Did you not see the flawless technique (which everyone here is so enthralled and knowledge-able about...[sarcasm])?

I am simply feeling sorry for the drummers out there who don't give 2 craps about Jim Black. The guys in NYC and Europe who know him know what's up. I will insult you face-to-face if we ever meet.
I watched a bit of the video JC linked, fast-forwarding to some playing. Jim Black looks really sollid and interesting (although i think if I had to listen to that kid talk any longer I'd have to off myself right now...). I'm going to go look Black up now...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

You really need to pull that pickle out of your arse my friend. What don't you understand - people like drummers who play music that they like to hear. Why do you persist with this crusade?

Try posting some useful examples and be less of a dickhead Erik.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Erik Lund

"What don't you understand - people like drummers who play music that they like to hear. Why do you persist with this crusade?"

Because it's worthwhile to me. And I know it would be worthwhile to others if they took a little time out of their terribly busy schedules to listen to something not in their comfort zone - especially with a gate-way-drummer like Jim Black or Hamid Drake.

And difference of opinion is all fine and dandy and wonderful, but yeah, I'd still say something contextual, like : "...this coming from a guy who doesn't understand Jim Black" - it's not like I'd call you a poop-face, although that would be funny too.

I just listened to the 3 disc box set "Unwound" and it has reinvigorated my sense of playing and pocket and musicality (and chops - good lord!).

The beginning track "Bro'ball" starts with some straight up groove drumming that will blow your mind and expand your idea of what it means to GROOVE. And the absolute destruction during "What are the odds?"... If I could play half of that I would be a happy man.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Im so glad somebody made a Jim Black thread! Thanks Erik! I found out about him because I was hanging out with these really badass players at the local jazz club and all they were talking about was this guy Jim Black, so I went to seek him out and it was just like getting hit in the face with a bombshell. I love his drum sounds, I love his playing, he just gives me this excited kind of nervous feeling inside and I love it. Im listening to Chris Speed's Emit right now. Im gonna order some Alasnoaxis stuff and the Chris Speed album Yeah No later tonight.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Erik,

I'm diggin' Jim's sound. I've never heard anything like it before. Thanks for making this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemgYtCX7kU

Jim has introduced a very interesting style of playing. He plays music ranging from garage rock to big band swing. He has become one of the most in demand drummers in the jazz/new music scene today.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBeJ3wSR9b8

Well,my interest aroused, I took an initial look at this; perhaps you can understand why I wasn't keen on persevering, possibly one of the most irritating Youtube videos ever!
He's certainly a great jazz player though, very forceful touch.
What was irritating about that video? I though it the performance parts killed man. ANd I liked the instrumentation, it gave some good ideas for some stuff Im doin with a guitarist and tenor. I just bought the album Jazz Trash by Ellery Eskelin. Im gonna check it out right now.
By the way, Erik, is Bloodcount the name of the band and Saturation the album? Ill definitely check it out.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Erik Lund

Glad you guys are diggin' Jim's playing (I knew you would - you're both bright young individuals ; )

Britt - You need to look under "Tim Berne" - it's "Tim Berne's Bloodcount" and the album is "Saturation Point" - And the 3 disc box is "Unwound". Saturation Point is a great place to start with both the band and Jim (and Tim's wonderful writing), but Unwound is the absolute destroyer. There is so much amazing playing on Unwound it will blow your mind and momentarily make you think "What have I been doing with my time/playing?" and then you will get hungry.

Ridiculous.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Consultant

I just checked out a few of his vids on Youtube and was impressed by the guy. Great feel, great movement. Maybe I'll check out that album you recommend.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
"What don't you understand - people like drummers who play music that they like to hear. Why do you persist with this crusade?"

Because it's worthwhile to me. And I know it would be worthwhile to others if they took a little time out of their terribly busy schedules to listen to something not in their comfort zone - especially with a gate-way-drummer like Jim Black or Hamid Drake.

And difference of opinion is all fine and dandy and wonderful, but yeah, I'd still say something contextual, like : "...this coming from a guy who doesn't understand Jim Black" - it's not like I'd call you a poop-face, although that would be funny too.

I just listened to the 3 disc box set "Unwound" and it has reinvigorated my sense of playing and pocket and musicality (and chops - good lord!).

The beginning track "Bro'ball" starts with some straight up groove drumming that will blow your mind and expand your idea of what it means to GROOVE. And the absolute destruction during "What are the odds?"... If I could play half of that I would be a happy man.
Erik, you need to get some passion....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Erik, you need to get some passion....
Dont think hes around anymore........
Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Did anyone else click on this thread hoping it'd be about Jimmy Carl Black.. Zappa's drummer from his Mothers days..?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer View Post
Did anyone else click on this thread hoping it'd be about Jimmy Carl Black.. Zappa's drummer from his Mothers days..?
Thank God Erik's not around to hear you speak like that ;)

(But yes, I did originally)
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Jim Black is truly amazing. You have to see him in person to truly get how good he is-youtube is just not the right forum for displaying some musicians abilities. I've seen him so far with bloodcount, pachora, parker/eskelin. The way he seemlessly integrates different mallets, percussion, found objects (I think I even remember an alarm clock and children's toys) I recommend pachora for those who are turned off by free jazz-it's more accessible
Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Yeah, pachora is a great band. I concur.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

I was fortunate to be at Berklee when Jim was there and even then, he was really something to be reckoned with, one of those guys the rest of us tried to check out as much as possible, whether it be a rehearsal in a practice room or a performance at a club. And he was very busy even as a student--I remember several times seeing him sitting out front with his drums in cases waiting for a cab to take him to a gig. Definitely one of my faves.

spleen
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Holy god. I saw Jim Black play last night with this trumpeter Phil Slater, a guitarist named Karl Dewuhr (I think) and Chris Tordini on bass at the Cornelia Street Cafe. One of the best shows I have ever seen hands down. Everyone was incredible and Jim Black is such a genius.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Cornelia St Cafe!!!!! I love that place. I've played there quite a few times, and always ALWAYS enjoyed the experience. The crowds are always awesome. I remember the first time I went there I saw The Fringe w/Matt Maneiri (vibes, my spelling might be off on the last name - it was 8 or 9 years ago)

Glad you got to see him live. Jim is one of THE best drummers walking the planet. I agree with Erik Lund: people who cannot grasp him only insult themselves, in my book. He was such a brilliant guy he was iPod-ing before there were iPods. I remember reading an interview he did in a magazine (can't remember which one - I subscribed to Modern Drummer - which totally sucks now, and JazzTimes - which totally sucks now) where, back in the day, he would use his Mini-Discs (remember those?!?!?!) and put completely different kinds of music on each disc randomly so he could listen to a ton of different styles while he was flying around the country or in a cab or just walking the street - That's the kind of mindset he had - he'd listen to some random jazz tune and then follow up with Mr. Bungle and then perhaps some Hindemeth and then some electronica...ANd you can hear it in his playing.

UNWOUND is a seminal recording - I would put it in my top 5 for live "jazz" recordings in the last 15 years. Everyone is in top form and Jim Black...oh my god! He does things everyone here couldn't dream of approaching. I've heard pretty much everyone here - including myself, and man, Jim Black does stuff that makes you think there are 3 drummers goin' nuts and it's just him.

So glad you got to see him Britt - Have fun in NYC!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh yeah colonel. The Cornelia St. Cafe is my favorite. Im gonna go next week and see Claudia Quintet and then in October Tony Malaby with Ralph Alessi, John Hebert, and Gerald Cleaver. I love Gerald. SO killin. Did you ever go to the Downtown Music Gallery? I got there and I almost pissed my pants I was so excited when I saw the stock they had. I got a bunch of Magnus Broo, with Paal Nilssen-Love, plus some stuff from Magnus new group angles, plus some stuff with Magnus and Paal called Atomic School Days and it is so killin. Plus an Alasnoaxis cd, dogs of great indifference that I really like. I spent like 100 though so I cant go there that often or Ill be ever more broke than I am now. I really love the city man. The school pretty much sucks. Be-bop purists left and right, Michael Brecker clones in all the practice rooms, its just not what I want.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I agree with Erik Lund: people who cannot grasp him only insult themselves, in my book.
You agree with yourself?!!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Britt - I wish you could've gone to Tonic before it closed - would've been your favorite place....*sigh*

Tony Malaby is sometimes great sometimes garbage - I hope you get "great".

DMG is good but the owner is a colossal jerk. The musicians hate him but they put up with him in order to play there/get their stuff in the store etc. (well, the small time guys who don't have that international pizzaz) What's his name again? Bob? Bert? Bob, right? it's with a B - and he's a dinkus maximus.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
You agree with yourself?!!
.................Huh??
Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Britt - I wish you could've gone to Tonic before it closed - would've been your favorite place....*sigh*

Tony Malaby is sometimes great sometimes garbage - I hope you get "great".

DMG is good but the owner is a colossal jerk. The musicians hate him but they put up with him in order to play there/get their stuff in the store etc. (well, the small time guys who don't have that international pizzaz) What's his name again? Bob? Bert? Bob, right? it's with a B - and he's a dinkus maximus.
I hope I get great as well, but Im really excited to get to see gerald cleaver play. I think the guy at DMG is named Bruce? I didnt really deal with the owner, just an employee who knew a lot and helped me find some really killin Paal Nilssen-Love. I really wish I could have been in NYC when Tonic was still in existence. Oh well, theres always the blue note (sarcasm, incredible amounts of sarcasm).
Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

It *is* Bruce. What a jerk. But I guess you have to be a bit of a crumudgeon while keeping a very obscure music shop in business... I played in the shop once with a very well known free-jazz trumpeter, and Bruce recorded it and was very jerk-ish about not letting the trumpeter record it as well, and then about giving it to the guy who actually played(!). He never got a copy, as far as I know and I know I've never heard it as well. Apparently the show was amazing (a jazz/freejazz/avant garde critic from All Music was there and loved it) but we wouldn't know 'cause Bruce didn't want to share the recording he made...

Anyway - There's also a cool performance space called...uh... Bullet Space, I believe, if it's still there - down between B & C on...2nd (I think!) We used to go there a lot - a lot of "slam poetry" 6-7 years ago - but when they had musicians it was always good.

There's a "jewish" club too that I can't recall the name of - down in the village - 3 floors - a performance space in the basement, and then a gallery and a floor for documentaries etc - you have to be jewish to get a gig there (don't all have to be jewish) - I saw Ralph Alessi (the jewish guy of the group) with Michael Formanek and Mike Sarin - Nasheet played that night as well, and Malaby and his wife too - Pretty great for either little or no cover...

Man, I miss NYC...

Gearald is absolutely great - He was THE best thing on most of those early Thirsty Ear recordings - he fell into the roll as the "house drummer" and was/is consistently amazing. I don't have the disc in front of me but he plays on one of Mat Maneri's THisty Ear albums and it's one of my favorite discs of the past 10 years - you'd think I'd remember the name....If I were at my place right now I'd find it.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Jim Black, great musician, I like what he did with David Binney's "Balance", great stuff.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Just listening to the Tim Berne's album "Poisoned Minds." Sometimes I forget how absolutely ridiculous Jim Black is. Absolutely incredible. At around 9 minutes Michael Formanek starts this groove and then JB just keeps getting deeper and deeper into it until I thought my head was going to explode out of pure rapture. SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD.