DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Favorite new band?

I am really getting into "Peeping Tom" at the moment. Mike Patton blows my mind with his musical interpretations.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Over the last 2 days, alll ive been listening to is Drop The Lime.

Breakcore/IDM/Electronica artist from NYC, fantastic stuff! But also (its a song but i love it) 'Ghost of Perdition' by Opeth
Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 PM

First I discovered Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. Then I had to get everything on the Daptone label. The Mighty Imperials and the Sugarman 3 are especially good. If you like that old-school soul sound, you can't go wrong with any of these albums. Sugarman 3's "Sugar's Boogaloo" is my favorite right now.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 AM

New? I dunno 'bout new, but am currently digging the Black Keys, Wolfmother, and an eclectic blend of old crap.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Technically not a band.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page Unplugged ('Unledded'). I got this for Christmas and have listened to it a few times, more so recently and there are some real gems here. The updated versions of 'Kashmir' and 'The Battle of Evermore' in my opinion are far, far superior to the original recordings; for instance the Mandolin in the latter sounds wonderful, it's impossible to describe. There's some really great musicians on this record and the quality of recording is nothing short of phenomenal. The energy is great, the arrangements are great and the experiments nearly all pay off. I'm not a big Zeppelin fan, but I really like this. Check it out if you get a chance.

For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE9KhuhsxI
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Sum 41. I love their album "Chuck" and "Does this look infected?", but i thought their first album "All killer no Filler" was absolutley horrible. Im not much of a fan of the thier album "Underclass Hero" (although i do like that song).

I also like Rise Agaisnt. They are great cuz they have that angry Rage against the machine feel without being to metally.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondXheartbeat View Post
Protest the Hero is quite possibly the perfect band for me.

I probably sound like a broken record since I hype them on here every chance I get, but they are truely incredible, and their live show is the best I've ever seen.

My top 5 bands right now are probably Protest the Hero, Trivium, Thrice, Unearth, and Mastodon.

I've also recently gotten into Megadeth.
i second protest. there amazing!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Umphrey's McGee is the greatest. They're not a metal band as you might have guessed from the name, they're rock and jam band. They're kind of similar to Phish but are amazing and can play basically anything, and still keep their own originality. I might just seem like I'm glorifying them or something but seriously, they're amazing. They have hard rock songs, funky songs, country, blues, everything.

Check them out, see a show, buy "Anchor Drops" the album, and you will be amazed.

http://www.umphreys.com/

YEM

P.S. Their drummer is fantastic.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Relient K, Nada Surf, OK Go, Rooney

Karnivool, Birds of Toyko, Sick Puppies, Dead Letter Circus, The Butterfly Effect
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Job for a cowboy. Amazing drumming.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Thats a funny ass band
lol.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
Job for a cowboy. Amazing drumming.
Hmmm I don't know man, a good drummer a band does not make. And neither does pig squealing, unless you think that's cool.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains View Post
Relient K, Nada Surf, OK Go, Rooney

Karnivool, Birds of Toyko, Sick Puppies, Dead Letter Circus, The Butterfly Effect
I'll say ditto for Karnivool and The Butterfly Effect, but also throw in COG and Airbourne.
If you like AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, the Angels or any real Aussie Rock n' Roll, check out Airborne. They are really putting the balls back into rock. I saw them a couple of months back at a college function. I think Rolling Stone gave their debut album 4 or 4.5 stars and they just signed an international deal with Roadrunner Records. They're touring the world early next year I think. Do yourself a favour and check them out
http://www.airbournerock.com/

I'm also loving The Beautiful Girls and 67 Special.

Seriously check out Airbourne.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I'll say ditto for Karnivool and The Butterfly Effect, but also throw in COG and Airbourne.
If you like AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, the Angels or any real Aussie Rock n' Roll, check out Airborne. They are really putting the balls back into rock. I saw them a couple of months back at a college function. I think Rolling Stone gave their debut album 4 or 4.5 stars and they just signed an international deal with Roadrunner Records. They're touring the world early next year I think. Do yourself a favour and check them out
http://www.airbournerock.com/

I'm also loving The Beautiful Girls and 67 Special.

Seriously check out Airbourne.
Airbourne are touring with Motor Head at the moment right?

67 Special - they new albums sounds awesome, Jacquire King produced that album!

Theres also British India, Gyroscope, Miarcarla... so many great new hard rock / indie rock bands coming out at the moment.

Some other international ones; Breaking Benjamin & Buckcherry.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 AM

I have been listening to ALOT of killswitch engage lately.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 PM

The Blood Brothers:
no-one i know has even heard of them, and when i play it to them they all hate it! but i love em. they're a post hardcore band with alot of high-pitched screaming, so i guess thats why they're an aquired taste.

Mr Bungle:
another "aquired taste" i beleive. but truely awesome non the less. they're crazy/hillarious/psycotic/jazzy/brutal/awesome all at the same time!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_frenko View Post
The Blood Brothers:
no-one i know has even heard of them, and when i play it to them they all hate it! but i love em. they're a post hardcore band with alot of high-pitched screaming, so i guess thats why they're an aquired taste.

Mr Bungle:
another "aquired taste" i beleive. but truely awesome non the less. they're crazy/hillarious/psycotic/jazzy/brutal/awesome all at the same time!
I've known about the blood brothers for awhile, some of my friends went to see them live. I'm not that big of a fan, but I might listen to them once in awhile.

Lately I've been listening to Between the Buried and Me, mostly because their new album is coming out so I started to listen to them again. I'm not quite sure if that is considered "new"..but it's definitely newer than the other stuff I've been listening too.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 AM

I listen to :

Phideaux - Doomsday afternoon (Progressive rock)

Porcupine Tree - All albums (You know)

Minus the bear - Planet of ice (Indie)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 AM

I was so impressed with Light Grenades by Incubus as an album that I've had to intentionally stop listening to it so I don't wear it out. I'm going to see them this Sunday so I'm trying not to listen to ANY Incubus right now to build the suspense.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mr Bungle:
They are far from new... been around for 16 years now. One of my top 5 bands!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
I was so impressed with Light Grenades by Incubus as an album that I've had to intentionally stop listening to it so I don't wear it out. I'm going to see them this Sunday so I'm trying not to listen to ANY Incubus right now to build the suspense.
Well not to rag on you but I might disagree with a couple of tracks, however there are some nice ones on the album. Quicksand, Pendulous Threads, and Paper Shoes are probably my favorites. I've listened to all of Incubus' other albums and even among the highlights on Light Grenades I expected more.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

I've recently gotten into dragonforce. After i first saw them on youtube, I thought the guitar work in mostly all of their songs are quite fascinating. I kind of like the singer's voice too. And the drummer is ridiculously fast with the double bass, crazy stuff. I've also gotten into Yellowcard, too.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
They are far from new... been around for 16 years now. One of my top 5 bands!
yeah they broke up in the 90s or something didnt they? anyway, the reason i mention them is because i just started getting into them recently, hence they are new to me
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
yeah they broke up in the 90s or something didnt they? anyway, the reason i mention them is because i just started getting into them recently, hence they are new to me
No, they are still a band and get together occasionally. Thier 3rd album "California" was released about 4 years ago. Each album is extremely different from the previous. Mike Patton has so much on his plate when it comes to his music and many different projects that when he gets together with Bungle, its always amazing. New album is rumored to be released in the fall of 2008.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Well not to rag on you but I might disagree with a couple of tracks, however there are some nice ones on the album. Quicksand, Pendulous Threads, and Paper Shoes are probably my favorites. I've listened to all of Incubus' other albums and even among the highlights on Light Grenades I expected more.
It seems like a lot of people dislike their new album, as was the case with ACLOTM. I like how they've progressed and refined their sound. They can't stay the "SCIENCE" Incubus forever! A Kiss to Send us Off is one of their best songs yet and the part between the bridge and last Chorus is one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard. I am a bit biased though :0 Peace.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 AM

I've recently gotten into industrial music, stuff like Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and Marilyn Manson.

I've been listening to it ALOT latley
lol so true
Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 AM

Trail of Dead are a cool band. Lately I've been getting into Terry Reid. Yeah, he's not new (late 60's early 70's) but he was the guy Page wanted to sing for Zep but because of prior commitments, Reid couldn't do it for at least a year, so Reid recommended Plant for the gig. Anyway, I've been listening to a compilation album of his called Superlungs. The drummer on it is a young Alan White and it kicks serious butt. Also, listening to this album I realized that Jack White isn't quite so ahead of his time after all.

---LG
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
No, they are still a band and get together occasionally. Thier 3rd album "California" was released about 4 years ago. Each album is extremely different from the previous. Mike Patton has so much on his plate when it comes to his music and many different projects that when he gets together with Bungle, its always amazing. New album is rumored to be released in the fall of 2008.
wow, i thought they were done for good! yeah i got all their albums, and i think they're all brilliant in their own right. but that would be amazing if they released another album! where did you here about it?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
where did you here about it?
Right after the release of Peeping Tom's debut, Henry Rollins did an interview with Mike Patton and asked about Mr. Bungle. Mike said that Bungle is alive and strong and that he needed to tour with P.T. a bit, then Bungle was going back to the studio. He was hoping for a new release in the fall of 08.

That was the last I heard. I hope its true!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The Blood Brothers:
I'll second the Blood Brothers. Young Machetes is a great album.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 PM

Im loving Heavy Young Heathens..

http://www.myspace.com/heavyyoungheathens
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Wow, this thread has been hiding for over a year, good call up. My favorite band as of late would probably be "Black Stone Cherry". I love their sound and style. very unique southern rock.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM

My favorite band is Tool (not new). However a good new band is Diablo, they're not very new, but they're not old either. These two bands are like my overall favorite bands.
Also Danny Carey of Tool is my favorite drummer. :)
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 PM

Lacuna Coil would have to be in my top new(er) bands, although they've been around for quite some time, more people have started to notice them.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM

Dr. Dog

http://www.myspace.com/drdog

I'm not much into these retro bands, but man, these are some good musicians.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

Evile.

I found them before the mass did, before Rock Band.

I found them by accident off of a Megadeth vid comment.
So I checked them out and it was only 1 song by them, and it had 17 views.

Now their entire album is up and all have 10-100k views.

I'm a proud (and original) fan!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Rebel

Hello,

Apocalyptica & Nightwish!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM

i dont listen to drummer music haha

i generally dig experimental indie-rock (broken social scene, wolf parade, akron/family), and i listen to alot of singer-songwriters (neutral milk hotel, nick drake, neil young)

i think the reason i play drums is cause i like hip hop.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Just got Nick Cave and the Badseeds.I know they've been around a while but better late to the party than not at all!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM

blackstone cherry, superb band