DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Flat Based Hi-Hat stand

Following on from joeybeats 'Flat Base Snare Stand' thread yesterday, can anyone offer some insite into the DW-6500 flat based hi-hat stand? I like vintage looking gear, so this is an obvoius choice on the face of it (I have a 6000 series snare stand on order), but can't find one to try out. Anyone here using one at all?

http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/6500.htm
Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Flat Based Hi-Hat stand

I have one and it's an alright stand. It's fairly smooth but I can't say that it lives up to the price tag more than the Gibraltar flat based which is about half the price. The one gripe I have with it is, the the spring tension is adjusted by loosening a drum key screw and pulling up the tension mechanism in the back. Because of this, depending on where you have the tension set you may not be able to put the hi-hat as low as you would like it. In order for me to put the hi-hat as low as it would go, I'd have to have the tension at its lowest setting. The only other issue is, if you use a double bass pedal, there is no real way to comfortably position it around the legs of the hi-hat stand, but that goes for all flat base hi-hats.

Personally if I could do it again I would have just bought a Gibraltar Intruder for $65 and saved myself some money.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks fourstringdrums. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:53 PM

I am also considering a flat-based dw hi-hat stand. Does anyone else have any advise/opinions concerning this thing? I am buying in the dark here....(because no music stores around here seem to carry this stand)

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

I've played on the Gibraltar model plenty and think it's a great stand. I also own a DW 5000 HH stand and love that too. DW hardware is pricey so for the money, I think the Gibraltar (5 yr warrantee) wins my vote.