DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Metronome light for band rehearsal

We´d like to start rehearsing with a ¨click¨. We have a metronome that I could plug into the PA for us to hear the click, and we´ll try that.

However, if we ever want to do it without the annoying click in the mix (say recording rehearsals or using a click live) we´d have to find another way as we wouldn´t want the click running through the PA.

Anyone know of a device that provides a light as a metronome? Like flashing on the beats (maybe different colour on the ¨1¨)

I did a quick search and didn´t find anything on google or musiciansfriend.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Metronome light for band rehearsal

Lot's of metronomes have lights on them.
I have a tama rhythm watch which enables you to accent beats with lights etc.

Am i right in thinking that you want the whole band to play to the click.

Usually it's just the drummer that uses click and then everyone else goes off them.
At least thats how i've always experienced it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like what you need is an "amplifier" for the metronome light. I've never heard of anything like that, except maybe putting the metronome on an overheard projector or using a computer program that has some visual options.

I agree, I like using a light. I have a Tama Rhythm Watch and I must be able to see the lights.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Sounds like what you need is an "amplifier" for the metronome light. I've never heard of anything like that, except maybe putting the metronome on an overheard projector or using a computer program that has some visual options.

I agree, I like using a light. I have a Tama Rhythm Watch and I must be able to see the lights.
I want the entire band to be able to see the click. Sometimes the intros of the songs are done by guitar or bass and they are asking for way to help get tempo correct.

My metronome I use for practicing has lights... SMALL lights. Hard for everyone to see in a room.

We're thinking of taking apart my cheaper metronome and trying to wire something up to amplify the light.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_E View Post
I want the entire band to be able to see the click. Sometimes the intros of the songs are done by guitar or bass and they are asking for way to help get tempo correct.

My metronome I use for practicing has lights... SMALL lights. Hard for everyone to see in a room.

We're thinking of taking apart my cheaper metronome and trying to wire something up to amplify the light.
Could you not just have the click and then keep time for them on your hats?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

yes, this is one way to do it.

But like I said... sometimes there's guitar and/or singing intros before drums kick in. They want to be able to start on tempo. Right now, for some of them, I play the HH to help... but it kind of takes away from the sound. We'd like to find another way.

We also want EVERYONE to hear/see the click, so EVERYONE is able to think more obviously about time, not just me. This is a training tool as well, and my group is on board for it. What drummer doesn't like a guitar player who ASKS for a click?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM

You can always get a headphone preamp and get everyone their own headphones with what ever you want to be in the mix [for each output, you can choose a different mix, usually].