DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Do We Ever Keep Anything?

I think I have all of you beat, but I do not think it is a good thing.

In 2.5 years, I have had and entry kit (I forgot the name it was so cheap), then moved to a Sonor 3003, then I bought a DDrum 26 Dominion kit. I then sold the 3003 ad DDrum kits to buy a Starclassic Performer. A month and a half ago I added a Ludwig Zep Set. That is 5 kits in 2 years.

I have changed cymbals numerous times as well.

My wife and I got into an arguement Sunday because I told her I wanted to sell my Starclassic to buy something else. She asked if I would ever be happy. I told her that I enjoy the hunt for a new kit. It is just exciting.

I usually only lose a bit of money on my trades, so I don't break the bank.

I have always been like this with hobbies.

Am I insane or what???
Old 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM

I wish I would keep my things. But it's much easier and quicker just to sell what I have to get something else. Thats how i've gone through four kits in the last couple of years.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

...Mikei.

I used to get that very same " will you ever be happy" argument from my dearly beloved. I would tell her that if I was unwilling to settle for second best when it came to the woman I married, why should I settle for second best when it came to my drums.

It only worked once, but I still use it anyway.

barry
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM

I started back into drumming after a 12 year hiatus about 18 months ago. At that time, I bought a Sonor 3005 with a set of Sabian XS20 cymbals. The only thing left that I still use from the original purchase are the Sonor toms and bass drum - and that's only because my StarClassic Maples aren't in yet. All of the xs20s are gone, all of the Sonor hardware is stored away, the Force 3005 snare has been replaced (twice over).

My wife siad to me just the other day, "This is the single most expensive hobby you've ever picked up, and you're Mr. Expensive Hobby Guy."
Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
Is there any kit, drum or item that you have played for years that you never plan to replace?
My Gretsch maples that my wife bought me, They can never go, and my 17" med crash and 20" medium thin crashes I have had for almost 20 years, and an 8" K splash that I've had 15 years. My Brady snares as well I doubt I'll ever give up.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 08-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

My "personal sound" is constantly evolving, so I'm always buying and selling stuff until I find that "WOW" moment.

To that end, my WOW keepers have been my 1978 Ludwig Acrolite snare, 1994 Yamaha Brass RC snare, and a few custom made Sabian cymbals.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

For me you are really asking two questions,

Do I ever keep anything? once I started buying pro level gear I have kept everything. I still use the Zildjian cymbals I bought when I was 17.

But I have to be honest, this does not mean I only own one kit etc... I love drums and have a nice little collection of gear,
That I do not intend to ever get rid of ;-)

I an a drum addict, I'll admit it,
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have a chewed up pair of Regal Tips, which have been in my stick bag since the Jurassic age. I never play with them. They are mangled & orange with age, and look like Mayan relics.. and remind me of a wonderful time, long gone..but they shall stay in my bag till kingdom come.

I'll keep em.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I gotta say- I have absolutely no problem with acquiring new "stuff"(when i can afford it) but when it comes to selling or throwing anything away? Just cant do it... I ve tried, but for some reason I still have things like shot-out heads, ripped felts, pieces of hardware that ll never amount to anything, broken sticks...lol, you name it! Why do we do this? Cause I know I m not the only one, right?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I That is 5 kits in 2 years.

I have changed cymbals numerous times as well.

I have always been like this with hobbies.

Am I insane or what???
YES!!! : P This is clearly a case of addiction. Or abandonement, I m not quite sure...lol
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
YES!!! : P This is clearly a case of addiction. Or abandonement, I m not quite sure...lol
...and this is an old post! He wasn't even mentioning his Luddies or his DW kit yet. Ah, it's like looking at a yearbook of events passed...

To the post. As a classically trained percussionist, I come from the viewpoint of "keep everything, because you never know when you're going to need it". I'd hate to sell my cabasa or vibraslap or flexitone or __________ because I haven't used them in a couple of years, then get a gig and find out that I need one of those items. I have amassed quite a percussion collection, buying what I need when I need it, and holding on to it for the next time I need it. Meanwhile, my wife rolls her eyes and wants more space in the basement because the marimba, vibes, and xylophone take up too much room.

For drum kits, I have a 2003 DW Collector's kit for studio/high-end gigs, a 1970 Ludwig Downbeat for all of the "other" gigs, and a 1979 Premier Elite that I teach on. I am going to hold on to these until I find a 1969 clear-maple interior with keystone badge Jazzette kit in ______ sparkle finish. Only then does the Ludwig get sold. I could care less about the Premiers, but my DWs are a permanent fixture. I love those tubs!

Cymbals are another issue. Since I've resolved to only have my two gigging kits, I have become a collector of cymbals, creating "sets" for different gigs that work nicely. Rock gigs, jazz gigs, blues gigs, latin gigs, studio gigs, orchestral gigs...got 'em covered, but I find myself still searching for the cymbals that will blow my socks off (besides the 24" K Light Ride...phew! I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about that one...)

Oh, and I also play guitar and bass, but this post is too long and too revealing already. Besides, I have an uncontrollable urge to go tap on my 24" K Light Ride a few times...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 AM

Its my impression that drummers tend to make less changes then most musicians.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Pioneer Member

I've thought of selling things a few times, but I know like everything else-as soon as a I get rid of it, I find a use for it again. I've got two very different kits right now, but in the future I dream of just having the one 'perfect' one. (10,13,16,18, 20, 24) with the toms split with the 13,16 in the main positions. The 24 would be the main bass and the 20 would be on the left with a left double pedal so you could play it either double or just by moving your right foot over to the next pedal. Of course the different variations of these drums for smaller gigs. All in White Marine Pearl wrap of course. Of course, these are nice thoughts but I'll probably keep my Gretsch Catalina Rock, Mapex Pro-M until they fall apart. The same goes for my Zildjian cymbals. A set of Bosphorus traditionals would be nice, but I'm not going to get rid of these either.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Big_Philly

I intend to keep my superstars until I die. Same for most of the cymbals I have now. The B8 splash is gonna go sooner or later though, and I might save up for a better snare drum. Ans if I find myself in a better financial position I will probably one day buy a nicer kit, maybe (probably) a custom kit.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

I keep it all, because you never know when you're going to want/need that particular sound. Especially when you play studio sessions, or do theatre work, etc.

I was recently playing a musical that needed a sizzle-type cymbal, to be played with brushes. I don't have any rides with rivets (I want to correct that at some point), but when I was trying to figure out what to do, I remembered my 16" B8 Pro crash that has a tiny crack in it. Grabbed it from out of storage, and sure enough, played with brushes, it was just about the best-sounding sizzle ride I've ever played.

Also, like Caddy said, you never know when you're going to open a score or something and need an instrument or sound that you haven't used in years. Last year, after not playing them in probably five years, I landed three different shows that required finger cymbals. Who knew?

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-29-2008, 06:24 PM

I will never ever, for any reason, get rid of my 20 inch zbt plus rock ride

I hand hammered it myself, and it fits right in with my a custom ride, never gunna switch it:)
Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglelord View Post
Its my impression that drummers tend to make less changes then most musicians.
Indeed. Watching a CCR video of a recent show, John Fogarty changed guitars every song. I realize that this has to do with tunings and keys, but what if drummers had to change bass drums or snares every song. I am on my second drum set in 2 years and only see making one more change and that's iffy.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 PM

Never will I part with my Zildjian K's. Hats, crashes, ride, they all sound so good. I will definitely add more to the collection, but those will never go. Also my kit configuration. It's comfortable, works well, plays well, and looks cool (I think).
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

For me, it's not "Do I ever keep anything"... It's "I keep EVERYTHING"! I buy gear beacuse I want it, because I think it looks cool or has a sweet vintage vibe. I own 6 kits, 5 of which are playable. Every one of them has a niche that it fits into. I have my bop kit, my big band kit, my rock kit, my studio kit, and my "whatever" kit.

As for cymbals, I have a collection of those as well, as I have to have cymbals to fit whatever style I am playing on whatever kit. I love cymbals and doubt that I will sell any of mine anytime soon. I'm sure in the long run, I will sell some drums and cymbals to make room for new ones. In the meantime, I'm cautiously considering selling my big 'ol Session Custom set to make way for a somewhat smaller Reference set... but that's a maybe.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 AM

See...its a weird set up. I have my original bass drum and 16" floor tom from my 2000 export kit. Had I known then what I know now, I would've kept the snare, cuz it's steel and the new exports have cheap wooden ones! I remember my quote exactly "If I wanted a poplar snare, I would've bought the firecracker...oh wait, I did!" Since then, I've converted that snare into a 14"x5" tymp tom.

Now, "Do we ever keep anything" is the question posed. I kept my floor tom and bass drum, but did a little inversion. The bass is now is a 16"x22" floor tom, and the 16"x16" floor tom has been converted into a jungle bass drum. Weird? Yes. Unorthodox? Maybe. Pretty damn cool? Oh hell yea!

Also, I kept all my hardware, despite owning a monster rack system, and my old double pedal and hi-hat stands for foot-ostinato setups.

So, yes, if you are a packrat, it's always good to keep a lot of things, cuz you never know when something like a $69 Snare will come in handy!