DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-15-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Lars Ulrich

Hey.
Do you like him or do you not.
He was my instriretion when i was a kid, his the resen I play drum's to day.
I have seen him 2 times, and he is so good live.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lars_Ulrich.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-16-2005 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
needforspeed182

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch
Old 07-15-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed182
I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch
No , he uses tama thats known man.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 AM

I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

Last edited by Speedy; 07-30-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:57 AM

Lars was one of the first drummers i really got into. I think he complimented Metallica's music perfectly. He is not a technical master, but i mean he co founded metallica! 'Nuff said.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:56 AM

Ive got to disagree that he's over-rated. I never hear anyone say he's the best metal drummer around or even that he's one of the best. I personally like him for his individual style. The parts he played in Puppets and Justice in particular serve the songs very well and no-one else ever would have done them.

And also the napster thing has absolutely nothing to do with his ability or the quality of Metallicas music.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM

He plays drums like a zappone but with feeling
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 AM

I think Lars plays drums very good especially in "Master...";but today it seems that he heasn't interesting ideas like before;by the way,hi I'm a new member
Old 07-18-2005, 03:05 AM

I C, but what is a zappone!?!?!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Administrator

i have to say that for me lars was a great inspiration in his time. its easy to judge him in this decade and put him and metallica down. i think their last few albums sucked and have left me very disappointed. but the albums up to and including the black album were great. there was that power and super chops. double bass drumming was introduced to south africa through metallica. enter sand man is a wonderful song to cover. it is a great pity that this band peaked so long ago now; and have been scrabbling for success ever since. at one time i would have said that lars was at the top of his game but based on their recent works i would say there are a lot of drummers who could stand in front of him. a warning to all of us confident drinkers. to rank as highly as some folks put him i would like to have seen some skill progression from the man. his personal development was rocket like from a teenager to the making of the black album and then he just wallowed. i hope i always get better as time goes on.

perhaps he should try playing some jazz?

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Zappone means when a drummer plays with a lot of power and is totally into the song
Old 07-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Lars to me, does the job for metallica. he definetly can not be considered one of the best drummers around these day's, but aslong as he can drum for metallica im happy. listning to many of there bootlegs, you'l hear that he's getting quite lazy, such as not playing the proper begining to there song motorbreath, and sometimes not playing the double bass for dyers eve. i'd say he hit top notch during there ...and justice for all album, he definetly proved himself to be more then just your everyday thrash drummer. i give him credit for starting my favorite band, and also for keeping the energy in metallica. his drumming may be somewhat simple when comparing to other drummers, but his facial expressions will always be the best lol. I hope he can kick it back up on the their next album, to prove himself worthy of being a really good drummer. im a great fan through all of there albums, including the load era, st-anger, and S&M, and i hope it continues to be like that for there next album.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Until May 2003, they hadn't played Dyer's Eve since Lollapalooza 1992. I got my hands on the bootlegged recording and he was playing the double bass. And to someone like Lars, that is a pretty insane drum track. Not by say, Tomas Haake's standards, but to Lars.. yeah.

I actually think in 1988 Lars was turning into a good drummer. Pity his skills weren't so good later when the Black Album was released, he got lazy IMO.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Pioneer Member

The fact of the matter is Metallica are has beens. They were making metal to a certain standard that had a large underground following for a while, they had their own metal subculture. I feel it was because of them they brought a lot of heavy music into what is now considered the mainstream. Their old stuff was great. I think with their subsequent fame their music suffered the same thing that a lot of music that has lot's of money backing it suffers from. Over production. With over production things tend to get simplified to the point where they loose their balls. I think his drumming was one of the most noticable thing that suffered because of his ability to only play in direction. Personally I don't care for his drumming when it comes to metal. I have heard many other metal drummers that could put him to shame with their left arm and one foot. But you have to give Lars credit for for his early efforts. He could play dynamically and played pretty fast, he play what the music called for.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Pioneer Member

I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator Emeritus

1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

2) So you're saying he's a perfectionist? Nothing wrong with that.

3) He gets no respect from the drum community? That's news to me.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

********END OF RESPONSE********
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

If you go and listen to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All (especially the latter) I realised that Lars actually had the potential to make a pretty good drum track. If you listen to the drum part on 'Blackened' (Track 1, AJFA) it's actually pretty technical and has its fair share of time signature changes.

You could almost say he laid down the foundations for modern technical metal drumming. (Alá Mike Portnoy) but obviously as not as refined. I quite like him on these albums and before that. After that, my mind changes, but before 1990, he was quite a good and creative drummer.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

Couldn't of said it any better myself.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmonkey

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
If you think the black album is something, then I guess you haven't heard their other albums like Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, like I said earlier. Black is nothing compared to those other IMO.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 PM

I also agree with Superlow. Whose really would be the right drummer for Metallica? He fits the band perfectly IMO. Don't hate Lars just cause he plays with Metallica and you don't.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath

1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only
Old 07-19-2005, 07:46 PM

I think it was on "...And justice for all" he used Gretch kicks. Can't remember where I read it, but they had a hard time finding the right kick sound or something. Even though he is a Zildjian endorser, he uses Sabian hats on some (if not all) tracks on "The black album". That I know for sure...just watch "One and a half years with Metallica".

BTW - Yeah, I think Lars is a good drummer for Metallica. Think of all the youngsters he inspires. He was one of my very first heroes.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 PM

A few things I want to say. I think that most musicians want to be the best they can, understandably of course. but that doesnt mean everyone has to be that way. Lars can play drums, let him. Just because he isnt the best metal drummer or even among the best that really doesnt make him a bad drummer. As for his personality I'd like to point out that you really cant judge a person on what you read or see on the TV. Also his personality should not be of any importance to us, we are music fans and not his friends or colleagues.

On the metallica front, which has come up, I heartily disagree that they have done nothing good since the black album. There are plenty of great songs on Load and I think Garage Inc and S & M are both really good too. I agree that they have lost their way however. Their lives are so incredibly different from how they were before they were rich, I think they need to stop trying to write music they would've written and write music that they want to write.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmonkey
1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only
1. You might want to do a Google search for a personality forum. This is a drumming forum.

2. 30 takes to get it to the point that he's satisfied with it makes him a perfectionist. If you personally feel that his live playing doesn't live up to his studio work, then that just means you like his studio work better. I'm sure he'd appreciate the compliment.

3. The majority of Irish drummers that you've personally met don't like his drumming? Now that's an interesting statistic.

4. You found the drumming on the black album to be his best? Again, I'm sure that he'd appreciate the compliment.

Note: the majority of Mexican sheepherders that I have personally had to my house for tea think that ad hominem attacks against drummers have no place on DrummerWorld.

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-20-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 PM

Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Milo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterB_Junkie
Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.
There's plenty more I assure you, too many to list.

Lars was good and fast back in the day and he was one of my influences(and many others) when I started to play metal. His fills were never that strong but his double bass was faster than most for the time. He played with power that would make some of our hands bleed. Over the years his playing has become quite stagnant and uninspiring. It happens...it's happened with the whole band.

And WTF is up with the snare on 'St. Anger'!?!? Did he come by my house at 2am and steal my trash can to record with???
Old 07-23-2005, 05:59 AM

Hmmm.......

Yeah I like them them a lot until ..and justice for all. I'm not a big fan of black album even though it was their most popular, or anything else after it for that mattert. They have some song I'll listen to on load and re-load and so on, but I like the songs and am able to listen from kill 'em all to ...and justice for all w/ disliking it.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Pioneer Member

My last thought on this- I actually think alot of Metallica's old stuff would've sounded better with some more complicated fills and whatnot.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:29 AM
ChrisD

Lars was a big influence on me when I first started playing drums as I'm sure he was on alot of drummers.Looking back though the only real album that I think has good drumming from Metallica would be the "Justice" album by far.Although he had a few good licks on the S and M live dvd as well.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Perhabs we're not doing right on Lars. He's very smart and knows exactly his position techniquewise. He never said, he's a better drummer than X or Y..... he just enjoys playing drums. It's not his fault, that he's always compared.

But for sure it's a very very popular drummer - outside the drumming scene.

Ask somebody - not musician - to name a drummer: Lars Ulrich will come up. So it is.
Not his fault.....

Bernhard
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 AM

I think Lars is very musical in his drum playing. Considering the slow tempos of many of the songs, he keeps a VERY deep pocket, and has incredibly tasteful fills and phrasing. I think he fits PERFECTLY with Metallica and is as important to the success of Metallica as the other members.

What he did with Napster TOTALLY ate his credibiliy. I don't quite understand his motives for doing that, but I need to respect a drummer as a person in order to listen to him. I don't know if he was looking out for the little people or himself. Considering how much success he's had, I don't see why he'd care if they're losing a little money to internet pirating.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:22 PM

He was the reason for me to start drumming. Metallica were my very first Metal Band and when i listened to them i already felt: thats what I should do as well... And even nowadays I think he drummed perfectly on the lightning, master, justice and on some songs like enter sandman or my friend of misery also on the black album.
But the stuff he plays now makes me wonder: did the guy have an accident or what?? theres nothing left of the power one could hear in the early days. everything since load is complete boring, but the fault isnt only to be searched by lars, also with a better drummer these records would suck. However, if Metallica would have quit after the black album they would still be my favorite band als Lars one of my fave drummers, but he XXXXXXXXXXXX up... But I am still hoping that Metallica find back to their strength: Melodic, heavy thrash metal. theres still hope

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 04-29-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Stu_Strib

Regardless of personal opinions, Lars has a very strong enthusiasm for rock and drumming in general. Did anyone see the MTV special where all the pop artists du jour all took turns playing live Metallica covers for Metallica themselves? Lars was so into it, and I instantly gained a ton of respect for the guy. So what if he isn't the best. He is solid, and he is unique (just look at how many blast beats and 32nd bass drum notes he DOESN'T play).

The drum sound on "And Justice for All" is killing, especially the killer track "One". All the stuff before that is very dated sounding and rough around the edges. If making the Black Album (one of the top selling hard rock albums ever) and cleaning up your sound and maturing as musicians is "selling out", then I guess I never really liked the old Metallica anyway.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Hey:

I listen to the albums Kill 'Em All through ...And Justice for All only, as I do not like Metallica's style after them. I think Lars' best work was on ...And Justice for All, which is also my favorite album by them. His work on Master of Puppets was pretty good too. I think Ride the Lightning was a great step up from Kill 'Em All, whose drumming was quite simplistic (althought I feel it fit their style at the time). Now, I have seen some of Lar's live drumming as of recently, and I find that everything seems wrong. He has downsized his kit, and he doesn't really use the double bassing that well. Also, many of his drum parts bore me, as it is always hi-hat and crash. He never uses a ride after Ride the Lightning (bit of pun there), only in the intro of Welcome Home and he uses the bell in Disposable Heroes, which disappoints me because he limits his drum vocabulary. All in all, Lars in his prime (at least to me) is when he played on the first 4 albums; after (and including) the "Black" album, his skill seemed to diminish.

- Marc
Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Personally his drumming has never really inspired me. I do enjoy some Metallica though (the Black Album primarily and some of their covers such as Whiskey in a Jar, Turn the Page) and appreciate their very tight arrangements.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:29 PM
MOONCHILD

yea he is quite an appearence but i dont like that he almost always play same thing you know what i mean.There are three or four things to learn from him and thats all.But he is quite a drumer
Old 03-24-2006, 06:46 PM

I think Lars is a great drummer and was good on double bass for his time.

He also had some odd-time things in Blackened that was complex

Lars Odd-Time Analysis
Old 03-24-2006, 07:29 PM

Thats a good little artcle. To me Lars is a little like AVH, you dont actually hear the interesting stuff he's playing because the guitar work is so overpowering on most metallica songs. I have a bootleg of a show from the St. Anger Tour and lar's playing is great. What amazes me most about his playing is how he can come up with the most "f"ed up odd time rolls and still come in perfectly on the beat.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:05 PM
MOONCHILD

what reminds me that song ST.ANGER quite disciplinised druming and good rythm (slow part) i dont know how he does it in live appearance.And offcourse that is kind of music where you dont need to show off too much.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed182

Lars is so awesome, hes just an all over crazy metal drummer. You have your opinon but....i dont know