DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: You Don't See This Too Often

Wow I didnt know she could play like that.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Wow, she was pretty slick! It was obvious she wasn't actually playing it but it was also obvious that she could. Maybe it was her that pre-recorded it. Her chops looked pretty damn fine, even for today!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJPg
Watch the whole thing, I'll think you'll be impressed.
That's an awsome clip. What energy and happiness she exuded on that clip! Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 AM
fourstringdrums

That was great, thanks for posting! Yeah, she was playing along with the clip, but I don't doubt that she actually played the recorded parts, and she did pretty damn good with matching up to it convincingly so you almost thought she was playing live. It wasn't until she was playing with herself on the smaller acrylic set that I started hearing crashes that weren't played or vice versa.

That being said, damn cheesy 70's music, special effects, and lyp sync'd peformances :)
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Man that brought back memories. I remember watching that on TV when I was just a kid. Yea there was alot of editing and prerecorded stuff in that clip but she could really play. The Carpenters started out as a jazz trio before they became a pop super group. Thanks for posting and the memories.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Karen Carpenter

Love Karen. Damn shame she had to leave us so soon.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

The Carpenters sold a ton of records. Had a bunch of top ten and #1 hits. She could sing. She could drum, and not just "for a girl." Still, she used the great Hal Blaine on many of her recordings, including, according to Hal's site, at least the following Top Ten Hits:
Close To You
We've Only Just Begun
Rainy Days and Mondays
Superstar
For All We Know.

Did you notice John Denver in the bit with the bass drum-glockenspiel trade? That truly is a great clip of her running around with all the different sets. I was most impressed with her ability to be so relaxed, even if she was playing to a previously recorded track she put down. As stated above, she was pretty much right on it and appears very at ease and having fun ... just look at her smile. Really good chops, particularly with the snare work, HH, and tom rolls. Joey
Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Great clip thanks for sharing that, Karen still is my favorite female drummer, she can play and sing.

Animal Life Savers
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 AM

She was certainly an accomplished musician! She had a very strong knack for the drums, and a voice to die for. I still think she had one of the finest singing voices I've ever heard. And when singing OR playing the drums, she made it all look effortless. Tragic loss for sure.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Anorexia killed the woman. May it never affect anyone close to you.
Why are you guys so damn serious.

I am the kind of person who can laugh at anything, including myself.

I am so surprised at what people will get all bent out of shape over.

I suppose that you have never laughed at a Helen Keller joke either????
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM

I know its not really meant for this thread but im digging what karens doing at/around 8:57 in this link, sorry for being stupid but what is she doing, if anyone can be bothered to write out what shes doing or does anyone know of a video that i can watch to learn what shes doing in and around 8:57, many thanks, i love this video, a legend, for more reasons than one x

- Kit! -
Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Oops, who have helped if I put the link, here ya go, just incase you havent read my post before this one, im wondering what it is that shes doing at 8:57, in the video on the link below, if possible (and it would help) could you put a link to a video of someone explaining it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dJUnh6N8-U

- Kit! -
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM

that completely boggled my mind.

Im not from that generation so always thought of her as the one with the cheezy 70s soft rock songs but wow. Something like that takes tons of rudimental chops...very buddy rich inspired
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Don't be embarrased to give the lady her due. She was a multi -talented go getter who made her way to the top, against heavy odds. Things, then got messed up a little bit for her, but she put her stuff out there for the world to see, singing,writing,drums and all, and people are still talking about her, after all these years

That tells me she certainly left her mark.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Administrator

she's amazing. she actually started out in marching drums but developed a passion for kit drumming. she really only wanted to drum but her vocals were too good (in fact they were fantastic and she is still regarded by many including myself to be one of the very top female vocalists ever). i saw her life story on the biography channel. she resented having to stand and sing in front of the kit while someone else played and always considered herself a drummer who could sing rather than as she was more commonly known: a singer who could drum.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Silver Member

And she had great taste in drums... she played Vistalites!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 AM

Jason and Aydee - amen to all of that. As a boy I saw her on TV playing the drums and was very suprised that she could play them ( and no slouch at all ! )
I never knew though, that drums were here first love. Man, I love her voice. It's a great memory from my school days.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM

To see one of Karen Carpenter's best 'live' performances check out the link below. Her singing and drumming are mighty fine in this Live at the BBC video of "And When He Smiles":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4-vx...eature=related
Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 PM

And here's a link to an article about Karen Carpenter that appeared in Modern Drummer:

http://www.leadsister.com/articles/drummermag2.html
Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Great article. She is truly missed.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM

Yes, the article was nicely done. Here's a link to a BBC documentary in which Karen Carpenter's reluctance to get out from behind the drums is discussed. The pertinent section begins around 3:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfZn...eature=related
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruok View Post
I think I saw that documentary. If I remember correctly, Richard Carpenter said that Karen considered herself a drummer first and a singer second.
Yes!

That is absolutely true, Ruok. You are correct.

Karen Carpenter always considered herself a "drummer who could sing". Not a singer who could play drums. ;-)

What a genius she was...at BOTH! ;-)

Play On! :-)

Last edited by michael drums; 12-20-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Interesting ... the ratio of DW members who have viewed this thread and thereafter felt compelled to make a post.

As I type now, there has been 108 views, and 61 reply posts. What an amazing ratio. Great proof of the number of people who have been touched by, or otherwise impressed with Karen's abilities and her musical accomplishments. Joey
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Karen's voice was angelic. I have also heard (small) clips of her playing.
She was one of the best.

T
Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Karen Carpenter, dominating woman drummer.

Better yet, "girl Buddy Rich. Why have I not heard of this phenomenal drummer? The only reason I know of her is because youtube recommended me a video of her. She certainly knows how to tear up a Supra, and clearly has lots of Buddy influence.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJ...ture=rec-fresh

She has such great technique, anyone have any information on her?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Karen Carpenter, dominating woman drummer.

Karen loved playing the drums even more than singing. When The Carpenters became really mainstream, they wanted her to come out from the kit, drummer turned Front person. she didn't want to leave her beloved drums behind. She wanted to be behind the drums. But, of course, the need for the spotlight won out and she did. I should add that part of the problem of coming out from the set was also because she had body image issues, that caused her anorexia and ultimately her death.

Great video BTW

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 07-05-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...aren+Carpenter

She was the real deal--unfortunately, she struggled with a condition that can be extremely difficult to treat and it eventually got the best of her.

spleen
Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 AM

Karen started-out as a non-singing drummer.

From Wikipedia:

In late 1965, Wes Jacobs, Richard Carpenter and sister Karen formed the Richard Carpenter Trio, an instrumental jazz group. The trio won the Hollywood Bowl Battle of the Bands on June 24, 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carpenters

Despite Karen being a fantastic drummer, the legendary Hal Blaine played drums on some of the Carpenters' records, including one of the Carpenter's biggest hits, "Close to You" - (06/27/70).
Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Karen loved playing the drums even more than singing. When The Carpenters became really mainstream, they wanted her to come out from the kit, drummer turned Front person. she didn't want to leave her beloved drums behind. She wanted to be behind the drums. But, of course, the need for the spotlight won out and she did. I should add that part of the problem of coming out from the set was also because she had body image issues, that caused her anorexia and ultimately her death.

Great video BTW

This is a great history lesson. I only know a few things about Karen Carpenter, but when I hear someone say this I think maybe had Karen simply been allowed to be a drummer as she wanted she'd possibly be alive today? Very sad to think about it that way, but it's what I thought of when I read your quote.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessdude16 View Post
I know its not really meant for this thread but im digging what karens doing at/around 8:57 in this link, sorry for being stupid but what is she doing, if anyone can be bothered to write out what shes doing or does anyone know of a video that i can watch to learn what shes doing in and around 8:57, many thanks, i love this video, a legend, for more reasons than one x
That lick is a quad. Three with the hand followed by the bass drum: LRLF or RLRF

Practic like this (left hand lead): L on small tom, R on large tom, then L again on small tom followed by F (bass drum).

Start off playing this slowly and play the frst L on the quarter note:

LRLF LRLF LRLF LRLF

You can also play this without the bass drum LRLR or RLRL. Practice both
Start off slow and practice getting this up to speed as fast as you want. You'll get alot of mileage out of this lick. Incorporate the snare into the lick as well as the hi hat. The sky is the limit with this. Hav fun!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Well, sorry to bump this thread, but all of the disbelievers out there astound me!

Karen was truly a great drummer, not a run of the mill good drummer as some in this thread have implied or outright SAID!

Remember the body of work she did was cut short by her vocal fame and if given an entire career of drumming instead of only what she was given I'm confident she would be FAR more known for her drumming prowess that she is right now.

Also. keep in mind, what "chops" she did or didn't have weren't the main showcase of The Carpenters, it was about the SONGS, not the drums. Fortunately though, she was given a fair amount of time to bring her drumming to the forefront a bit with her multi part solo that was incorporated into the show.

It's too bad there wasn't enough time for the drumming Karen to get in with other musicians and stretch out her musical career into things The Carpenters would have never played. I could have seen her digging into a big band sound or maybe a jazz combo, but it wasn't to be, too bad as I'm sure it would have quelled many of the disbelievers.

Here's a clip I just found the other day.
The Carpenters on Johnny Carson Performing "Mr. Guder" back in 1973
It was a bit of a musical departure from the usual Carpenters thing, there was a bit of time changing going on, and some really cool drumming by Karen, and all while singing FLAWLESSLY!! I would say a lot of you would have problems with JUST playing the song with the finesse she had, let alone while singing it too!! But MAN did her kit sound terrible, 1970's muffled to the hilt!!

Karen deserved much more recognition for her drumming than I fear she will ever get, that's just too sad.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

there are things over on youtube as well that show off her skills as an accomplished drummer...I do not know how anyone can say she was not great at what she did!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 PM
kjsm

the onloy offensive thing is the billions of coments about how this should go in the 'ladies' section

this is stupid
don't segregate
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsm View Post
the only offensive thing is the billions of comments about how this should go in the 'ladies' section

this is stupid
don't segregate
I don't think that it's offensive at all, I take offense at your trying to make this a bad thing, that's NOT how it was meant!!

Karen was very proud to be a woman drummer, and I wouldn't suggest that you segregate her there, of COURSE she should be part of the general drumming discussion TOO!! But she certainly should be part of the woman's section (more than likely the very pinnacle of it) and not segregated to just the "regular" drummers areas either. Yeah, her femininity is/was special, but in a good way, her success and drumming prowess break down the stereotype that drumming is singularly a man's profession/pastime.

Differences are a GOOD thing!
I say learn to FLAUNT it rather than be EXPLOITED by it!!!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Just stumbled on this. For me, Karen Carpenter was freakishly talented. As great as her drumming was (and it WAS), her incredible voice was legendary. Listen to the depth of her "basement," as she called it, on Superstar and This Masquerade. She had the voice of a 40 year old in her teens and early 20s!!

It simply staggers the imagination what could have been. Imagine for a moment watching a 40-something drummer at an elite jazz club playing the skins like Max Roach, then coming up front and sing like Billie Holiday. Imagine how deep that basement would have been 20 years later...

If handled right, she could very well have been the greatest jazz singer in the last 50 years AND a damned fine drummer. Remember, jazz WAS their roots.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

She is surely missed. Did I hear 6 stoke rolls in the jam section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Well, sorry to bump this thread, but all of the disbelievers out there astound me!

Karen was truly a great drummer, not a run of the mill good drummer as some in this thread have implied or outright SAID!

Remember the body of work she did was cut short by her vocal fame and if given an entire career of drumming instead of only what she was given I'm confident she would be FAR more known for her drumming prowess that she is right now.

Also. keep in mind, what "chops" she did or didn't have weren't the main showcase of The Carpenters, it was about the SONGS, not the drums. Fortunately though, she was given a fair amount of time to bring her drumming to the forefront a bit with her multi part solo that was incorporated into the show.

It's too bad there wasn't enough time for the drumming Karen to get in with other musicians and stretch out her musical career into things The Carpenters would have never played. I could have seen her digging into a big band sound or maybe a jazz combo, but it wasn't to be, too bad as I'm sure it would have quelled many of the disbelievers.

Here's a clip I just found the other day.
The Carpenters on Johnny Carson Performing "Mr. Guder" back in 1973
It was a bit of a musical departure from the usual Carpenters thing, there was a bit of time changing going on, and some really cool drumming by Karen, and all while singing FLAWLESSLY!! I would say a lot of you would have problems with JUST playing the song with the finesse she had, let alone while singing it too!! But MAN did her kit sound terrible, 1970's muffled to the hilt!!

Karen deserved much more recognition for her drumming than I fear she will ever get, that's just too sad.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Enjoyed the utube link to the Tonight Show performance. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:12 PM

This quote says it ALL!

"Karen Carpenter was a more accomplished player than most people realized. No less a figure than Buddy Rich considered her to be a superior player. "I remember one time when Karen and I went to see Buddy's band," says Cubby O'Brien. "I knew Buddy fairly well, so before the show I took her backstage to meet him. I said, 'Buddy, this is Karen Carpenter.' He said, 'Karen Carpenter, do you know that you're one of my favorite drummers?' As tough as Buddy could be on drummers sometimes, he always respected someone who played the instrument well."

How many drummers can boast of receiving an accolade from Buddy? And knowing Buddy, he wasn't just "being nice to the girl."

As great a drummer as Karen was, she was a legendary singer, with a deep, rich bottom that belonged on a 40-year old singer with a three pack a day habit.

One can only imagine how her career would have transpired. Who knows, she could have led a big band, playing like Buddy, then getting out from behind the drums and sing like Billie. Don't believe me? Check out THIS link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGBqek7JBE

A duet of This Masquerade with the immortal Ella Fitzgerald. I would KILL to have this in its entirety...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavGator View Post
This quote says it ALL!

'Buddy, this is Karen Carpenter.' He said, 'Karen Carpenter, do you know that you're one of my favorite drummers?

How many drummers can boast of receiving an accolade from Buddy? And knowing Buddy, he wasn't just "being nice to the girl."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGBqek7JBE

A duet of This Masquerade with the immortal Ella Fitzgerald. I would KILL to have this in its entirety...
Can you imagine how Karen Felt when Buddy said that. Knowing how condescending Buddy could be with people. I would have been nervous and shaking when I met him! If he said that to me I probably would have thought that I was on candid camera! Or just simply passed out!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Nice to see some Karen Carpenter love going on. If you want to hear some spirited drumming from KC (along with some of the duo's tight, layered harmonies and some fun musical ideas) check out "Another Song". Here's how Richard Carpenter described it:

"A perfect example of pretentious, wacky 60s musical abandon, it is complete with a recitative (lifted from Handel) and extended solo backside. Karenís and my multi-tracked vocal break, which precedes the Borodin-inspired penultimate section, however, is still thrilling to listen to."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-S79OgkqA